The Mass Challenge
The Mass Challenge is the centerpiece of the life of the RR&R Lair. Each year, a challenge is presented to all Rascals and Friends of Rascals. Every Rascal and Friend of Rascals is called upon to make a presentation answering the challenge at his Lair's Mass Challenge meeting. Presentations are strictly limited to five minutes. The best presentation, determined by a popular vote of all attending the Mass Challenge meeting, is awarded the J. Z. Landgraf Medal, in memory of Jon Landgraf.
The Landgraf Medal is based on the design of the RR&R flag, which was designed by Jon Landgraf himself. It is produced Lisa Kotchey, a goldsmith jewelry designer based in Sharpsburg, Pennsylvania.
First-time winners of the Mass Challenge receive a bronze version of the medal. Second-time winners have their bronze medal silver-plated and third-time winners have their medal gold-plated. For each subsequent win, a star is added to the medal's ribbon.
Runners-up in the Mass Challenge competition receive a consolation prize.
In Lair No. 1, the runner-up is awarded the McGeoy Bitter Cup. The winner of the Mass Challenge is obliged to keep the Bitter Cup of the runner-up filled for the remainder of the year's meetings. In Lair No. 3, the runner-up is awarded the Last Cigar Tray and the winner of the Mass Challenge is obliged to provide the runner-up with a fresh cigar at each Lair meeting.
The J. Z. Landgraf Medals are number consecutively, with medal #1 having been presented to Elizabeth and Jerry Landgraf, Jon's parents, at the 1996 Rascals Ball in Pittsburgh.
An unnumbered cardboard reproduction of the J. Z. Landgraf Prize was awarded to Peter Fosl by Lair No. 2 in 1996.
Bronze and Silver versions of the Landgraf Medal
Recipients of the Jonathan Z. Landgraf Medal
- Elizabeth and Jerry Landgraf
- 1995 -- Jeff Campbell [Lair No. 1] / Random Latitude and Longitude / Lenny the Watermite.
- 1996 -- Dan Morrison [Lair No. 1] / Scrambled Rascal Names / Jeffrey Scheer of New Bramen, Ohio.
- 1997 -- Mark Miller [Lair No. 1] / Create a Musical Instrument / Trash Can Bass.
- 1998 -- David McFadden [Lair No. 1] / Random Pittsburgh Location / South Side Pub Crawl.
- 1999 -- Tim Esaias [Lair No. 1] / Note Found in the West End Circle / The Chambéry Conjecture.
- 2000 -- Lee Wolfson [Lair No. 1] / Rascal of the Bi-Millenium / Pope John XII.
- 2001 -- Dan Krewson [Lair No. 3] / Day You Were Born, Minus 100 Years / Dan's Tale.
- 2001 -- Ron DiOrio [Lair No. 1] / Rascal Macot / Mylodon, the Giant Ground Sloth.
- 2002 -- Dan Morrison [Lair No. 3 ] / Original Work of Art / Jon Landgraf Icon -- silver.
- 2002 -- Ron DiOrio [Lair No. 1] / Your House 100 Years Ago / Cause of the First World War -- silver.
- 2003 -- Michael Moscherosch [Lair No. 3] / Patentable Invention / Device to Avoid the Auto-Extinguishing of Cigars.
- 2003 -- Woody Cunningham [Lair No. 1] / Location of the 2001 Rascal Picnic / Wickham, estate of Francis Dashwood.
- 2004 -- Peter Marino [Lair No. 3] / World's Biggest Loser / Mahatma Gandhi.
- 2004 -- Charles George [Lair No. 1] / Rascal Work of Art / Stained Glass Flag.
- 2005 -- Jim Barr [Lair No. 3] / Create a News Item for the Tabloids / One Big Fat Lie.
- 2005 -- [Lair No. 1]
- 2006 -- Jim Barr [Lair No. 3] / Bowling Shirt / Cigar Shirt -- silver.
- 2006 -- [Lair No. 1]
- 2007 -- Allen Surdyke [Lair No. 3] / Gross Food / Kangaroo and Alligator.
- 2008 -- Dan Morrison [Lair No. 3] / Disappeared Road or Invention on Your Birthday / Cold Spring Road Mystery -- gold.
- 2009 -- Ray Hull II [Lair No. 3] / Tribal Rites of Passage / Amish and Rumspringa.
- 2010 -- Roger Hull [Lair No. 3] / Strange Deaths / Edgar Cayce, the Sleeping Prophet.
- 2011 -- Jim Barr [Lair No. 3] / Fermented Consumable / Van Lieu's Liquor -- gold.
- 2012 -- Roger Hull [Lair No. 3] / Ping Pong Ball Shoot / Swinging Ping Pong Ball Whacker -- silver.
- 2013 -- Ray Hull II [Lair No. 3] / Build and Race a Boat / Backyard Pool Special -- silver.
- 2014 -- Roger Hull [Lair No. 3] / Collection of 12 Things / New Jersey Fossils -- gold.
- 2015 -- Roger Hull [Lair No. 3] / Create a Self-Portrait / Masterpiece in Wood, Acrylic, and Stain -- gold + one star.
- 2016 -- Ray Hull II [Lair No. 3] / Real Life Stranger than Fiction, Tales from 97 Years Before You Were Born / History of Brandywine Lane -- gold.
- 2017 -- Ray Hull II [Lair No. 3] / Build a 20-Cigar Humidor / "My Last Cigar" Humidor Book -- gold + one star.
- 2018 -- Calvin Morrison [Lair No 3] / Build a Tool / Electric Cigar Lighter.
- 2019 -- Dan Morrison [Lair No. 3] / Unclaimed Remains at the County Morgue / "Brother From Another Father." -- gold + one star.
Jeff Campbell receiving the J. Z. Landgraf Prize in 1996, from Liz and Jerry Landgraf