If you're worried about missing out on some skills, rest at ease. In Morrowind, you can still use every skill, but the ones you specialise in advance faster and put experience points towards leveling up. You also get a few bonus points to the skills you specialise in.
When you level up, depending upon the skills you've been practicing, you'll have a certain amount of points to spend on your attributes, so for every skill there is a parent, or governing attribute. A skill can not ever go higher than the attribute that it is derived from (hence: "You cannot train a skill above its governing attribute"). Your health, fatigue, magicka and encumberance (how much you can carry) are all calculated from your attributes.
The eight attributes are as follows:
- Strength - Affects your melee attack damage, starting health, fatigue and encumberance.
- Intelligence - Affects your total magicka and your ability to cast spells.
- Willpower - Affects your fatigue, and your resistance to magical attacks.
- Agility - Affects your chances of landing and doging attacks, and how much fatigue you have.
- Speed - Affects how fast you move.
- Endurance - Affects how much fatigue you have, your health and the health increase with leveling up.
- Personality - Affects the disposition of the people you meet.
- Luck - Affects anything with a random element from damage variables to what sort of loot you'll find in random barrels.
Along with your skills, you will need to select your star sign. Each of the thirteen signs gift players with different spells, powers or abilities. The choice often compliments similar bonuses set by race.
|Spells:||Beggar's Nose (Detect Animal 200 points, Detect Enchantment 200 points, and Detect Key 200 points for one minute)|
|Powers:||Tower Key (Open 50 points on touch)|
Blessed Word (Turn Undead 100 points for thirty seconds on target)
Blessed Touch (Turn Undead 100 points for thirty seconds on touch)
|Powers:||Mara's Gift (Restore Health 100 points for one second)|
|Abilities:||Charioteer Ability (Fortify Speed 25 points)|
|Abilities:||Elfborn Ability (Fortify Maximum Magicka 15 points, Weakness to Magicka 50 points on self)|
|Abilities:||Fay Ability (Fortify Maximum Magicka 5 points)|
|Abilities:||Akaviri Danger Sense (Sanctuary 10 points on self)|
Lady's Favour (Fortify Personality 25 points)
Lady's Grace (Fortify Endurance 25 points)
|Abilities:||Mooncalf Ability (Fortify Agility 25 points)|
|Powers:||Lover's Kiss (Paralyse on target, Damage Fatigue 200 points on self for one second)|
|Powers:||Moonshadow (Invisibility for one minute)|
|Spells:||Star-Curse (Poison 3 points on touch, Damage Health 1 point on self for thirty seconds)|
|Spells:||Blood of the North (Restore Health 2 points for thirty seconds)|
|Abilities:||Trollkin Ability (Weakness to Fire 100 points)|
|Abilities:||Warywrd Ability (Fortify Attack 10 points)|
|Abilities:||Wombburn (Spell Absorption 50 points on self, Fortify Maximum Magicka 20 points on self, Stunted Magicka on self (prevents magicka regeneration))|