THE MAP OF DASMARIŅAS
The town's center which is home to Dasmariņas' old residents. The newly
renovated old church of the Parish of Our Lady of the Immaculate
Conception, Dasmariņas Library, Dasmariņas Elementary School and the
Immaculate Conception Academy-Science High School are located in the
town's plaza. Municipal Government's municipio or the town hall is
located a few meters away from the plaza. Near the Poblacion is the De
La Salle University-Health Sciences Campus and the DLSU-Medical Center,
the 1st ISO Certified Hospital in the Philippines. Divided into four
zones, the town's center is mostly residential area but is still lined
with many business establishments.
Celebrations, shows and gatherings are being held at the plaza. Every
8th of December, the town's Poblacion celebrates the Feast of the
Immaculate Conception wherein colorful banderitas, loud marching bands
and expectacular display of fireworks are seen and is being visited by
many people coming from the different towns in Cavite. Cultural shows
and many celebrations are happening here almost weekly so it has the
rightful claim to be called "the liveliest town in Cavite".
Kasuyan is its first name of this place, during the Spanish period,
because of the presence of many cashew trees on the area. After many
years, its name became Luksuhin and on July 18, 1889, it was renamed
again by the petition passed by Don Juan Bautista requesting the place
be named after San Agustin.
The place is lying between the Poblacion and Sampaloc in the north.
Farming was the chief source of income of the people here. San Agustin
is blessed with rich soil that can be planted with rice, sugarcane,
fruits and vegetables. Here, vast lands with big mango trees can be
found. There was a continuous flow of water coming from Bucal to the
Poblacion during the Spanish period which they call Simbro. However, due
to the town's development, most lands are now being converted into
subdivisions and other business establishments.
On December 17, 1944, three persons living here were killed at the sona
(zonification) in the Poblacion. They were Conrado Aledia, Primitivo
Sango and Matiaga Ramirez.
Today, the place is on development. The Dasmariņas Central Market and
the business establishments such as the Walter Mart and FSC are located
This barangay is situated between the Poblacion and Sabang. On April 13,
1889, a petition was passed appealing the sitio, once known Sitio Tamban,
to be transformed into a barangay. The place was renamed on July 18,
1889, and was given the name San Jose in commemoration of their patron
saint, St. Joseph.
Cumpuerta is the name of the hide-out of the Filipino revolucionarios
during the revolution against Spain. This is a deep canal of flowing
water which still exists until now.
The families of Cantada, Camaņag, Ramos and Pastor are the first ones
who settled here.
This place is known for the name "Salitran" even during the Spanish
period. There are no exact historical accounts for the origin of the
name. Some says that such name was given because the early settlers of
this place were from Pampanga, Visayas, Tagalog region and some Chinese
that served the Spanish friars. However, according to the original
settlers here, the place was originally called "Bayanan". They said that
this has numerous big Spanish houses which is like in a small town.
An old house in the eastern part of Salitran was used by the Spanish
friars as the storage place for the rice and was called "Makina". It was
also used as a headquarter by the Guardia Civil.
When the revolution ignited, the "Makina" became the center of attack by
the revolucionarios from the Poblacion and this barrio. The friars
weren't aware of the said assault.
On March 7, 1897, the Spanish went to Salitran where the Magdalo
soldiers led by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo hid.
General Emilio Aguinaldo received help from one thousand men and formed
a greater force and even the Spanish troops led by General Lechambre
didn't penetrate Salitran. Because of the rebelry, the Spanish burned
all the houses and establishments in the barrio. There were only left
three houses unburned.
During the World War II, Simplicio Lara and Teodorico Timbang were
killed by the Japanese soldiers.
Now, Salitran is on vast development due to the presence of numerous
subdivisions and villages. Schools located here are the St. Jude
College, the Immaculate Conception Academy-North Campus, and many
others. There are also many business establishments here.
On the northern part of Dasmariņas is where this barangay can be found.
The word "Sabang" means "to overflow"; wherein the creeks running from
Malagasang, Imus tend to overflow in this place. This were made by the
Spanish friars to irrigate the vast ricefields in the barangay.
The divertion in the direction of the waterflow made a big change in the
agriculture during the Spanish period. There were rich production of
rice and because of this, a bodega was made here for the storage of rice
and was called "Kamalig ng Pare" (Silo of the Priest).
This place is considered to be the richest land in Dasmariņas during the
Spanish period. Residents here where known to be industrious.
Agriculture is still a source of income in this barangay though it
diminish due to the development of the lands into subdivisions and
More than 85% of the population are professionals and have a high
standard of living. In this place, the Madona Charity Clinic is located
which is owned by Mrs. Bracia Tengko. This clinic is a big help to the
less fortunate residents of the barangay which seeks medical help.
On the eastern part of Dasmariņas, we can find Barangay Burol which is 3
kilometers away from the Poblacion (Town's Center). The complete name of
barrio Burol is Pansol-Burol. Pansol is a Tagalog word meaning aqueduct,
while Burol, also a native word, means mound. Eventhough there are no
historical records about its establishment, it is safe to say that it
was formed during the Spanish period due to the presence of ruins of old
Spanish houses and sugarmills. The families of Quillao and Beltran are
the first ones to settle in this place.
This barangay became the hide-out of the Katipuneros/revolucionarios.
During the Japanese occupation, there are some Dasmarineņos who were
killed in this place. They were Alfredo Purificacion, Pedro Calupad,
Victor de Jesus and Angel Olaes. The Japanese soldiers also planted
several cotton trees on the area.
Now, this place is considered one of the richest barangay in Dasmariņas.
Many schools and colleges can be found here such as the Southern Luzon
College, International English Center, Asian Trinity School, and many
others. Adjacent to the place is the Emilio Aguinaldo College. Numerous
subdivisions and villages are also located here.
This place is located on the south-western part of Dasmariņas. The name
"Langkaan" came from the word "langka" meaning jackfruit; which is
believed to be planted in many parts of this barangay during the 1900,
the year of its foundation. Barangay Langkaan was a part of a vast
hacienda during the Spanich period that's why there are numerous water
systems for ricefields that can be found here. The San Agustin Dam was
constructed on 1855. On the last part of the 19th century, the Spaniards
erected an indigo plantation here. The stone-made grinder of indigo
still exists until now and it is the mark of the Spanish influence in
The Spaniards are the first ones who planted sugar canes and became the
primary source of income during the 18th century. During those times,
tarapiche and carabaos are used to make panucha and paldo. Don Placido
Campos and Andres Medina are the ones who owned these tarapiche.
When the Americans arrived, this place attracted residents from the
Poblacion. The families Quillao, Bautista, Sarabusab, Reyes, Remulla,
Sango, Laudato, Impoņo, Satsatin, Medina, de Liam and others trasferred
here during those times. During the Second World War, the Japanese had a
big plantation of cotton trees in Langkaan. Dasmarineņos were forced to
work here. A Japanese concentration camp was also established in this
Now, this is considered to be a backbone of the economic progress of
Dasmariņas. The presence of numerous factories in different industrial
estates in this area, such as the First Cavite Industrial Estate, serves
as the working place for the workers living in Dasmariņas and other
towns of Cavite as well.
Paliparan is situated at the southeastern part of Dasmariņas. In the
easternmost part, is surrounded by the munipalities of Gen. Mariano
Alvarez, Cavite and San Pedro, Laguna. This place was a grassy land with
no trees growing on its wide space providing an excellent place for
flying kites during summer. In fact, this was what used to be - a
paliparan - meaning an airfield for flying kites. During the Spanish
period, the Spaniards used to go to this place during weekends to fly
kites of different designs and colors.
The first settlers here came from the town of Imus. Among them are the
families of Faustino Alvarez, Flaviano Pakingan, Gregorio de la Cruz,
Pablo Papa, Dominguez and the Martinez.
On 1911, most of the residents here are said to be uneducated because
there were only eight persons who can vote. Also during the Spanish
period, this place became a hiding place for the Katipuneros/revolucionarios.
During the Japanese occupation, some hide-outs of the guerillas were
found here such as of "P.Q.O.G., R.C.T.C. Hunters, Reyes Regimen and
Saulog Regimen". On June 1943, the Japanese oredered the residents to
assemble in front of the school wherein they were not given food and
water from morning until evening. Suspected guerilla members were
This barangay is sub divided into six sitios which are Niugan(on the
west), Crossing, Paliparan(on the north) , Paliparan Ilaya (also on the
north), Pook and Burol (on the north-east). Today, it is considered to
be one of the richest barangay in Dasmariņas because of the many
factories and industrial estates that are located here. Among them are
the Monterey, Reynold's Corporation, the First Cavite Industrial Estate
and many others. A campus of the Immaculate Conception Academy is also
located here. A Robinson's Mall is believed to be established here in
the near future.
Barangay Salawag is located in the south-eastern part of Dasmariņas.
Such name was given to this place due to the presence of bamboo trees
made for the construction of houses. This barangay has many names during
the olden times. The Spanish called this "Pasong Tinta" because there
were many plants called "tinta-tintahan" used as an ink. This was also
called "Horong Bato" because the eraly settlers believed that there is a
treausure here burried under a large rock.
The first families to live here are the Macalinao, Pacifico,
Purificacion and Paras. During the arrival of the Americans, the place
was called "Mataas na Sampalok" because there were numerous tall
sampaloc (tamarind) trees planted here.
Today, the barangay boasts of the "world class" Orchard Golf and Country
Club, the site of the past Johnnie Walker Golf Tournament" and a state
university, the Technological University of the Philippines. Many
subdivisions are also located here.
There were numerous sampaloc (tamarind) trees in this place that's why
it was given such name. It has the largest land area in Dasmariņas.
Sitios formed here on 1896 were Palapala, Bukal, Malinta, Manalo, Piela
In this barangay, the Philippine Christian University and the Union
Theological Seminary can be found. Hella Phils. is located in Malinta,
EuroMed Laboratories and New Era Village of Iglesia ni Cristo (Church of
Christ) are in Bucal. More than half of the land is owned by the
International Institute of Rural Reconstruction. An SM Mall will be
established in Piela in the future.
Dasmariņas Bagong Bayan
DBB or the Dasmariņas Bagong Bayan was established on 1975 under the
government of Pres. Ferdinand Marcos. At first, it occupies 234 hectares
of land in the town and is 8 kilometers away from the town's Poblacion.
This land was bought by the PHHC or the People Homesite Housing
Corporation to the owners at two million and four hundred thousand pesos
(P2,400,000) which then became the resettlement area for the less-priveledge
families living in the depressed areas of Metro Manila.
The families of Eduardo Coronel, Rogelio Tomas, Ruben Alvarez, Manuel
Rabang, Isabela de la Cruz and Diosdado Alto were the first ones to live
here. Disdado Alto, Rodolfo Urubia, Danilo Serrano, Maximo Esteban,
Manuel Macuto and Francisco Gonzales became the first barangays leaders.
After some years, DBB was divided into 30 barangays with a population of
100,000 living in more than 600 hectares of land. Each families were
given 90-200 square meters which they loan from the NHA or the National
On September 12, 1990, the Sangguniang Bayan (Municipal Council) passed
Order 108-90 ordering DBB to be divided into 47 barangays which then was
approved by the authority.
Today, the Congressional South Avenue is lined with numerous schools and
business establishments. The Kadiwa market offers goods at cheaper price
which then serve as an alternative market for the town. Schools such as
the Dasmariņas Elementary School and the Dasmariņas National High School
are just nearby the market. Subdivisions are also located in here like
the Windward Hills Subdivision which serves most La Salle students. Just
in front of the avenue is the DLSU or the De La Salle University-Dasmariņas
Best viewed with Microsoft
Internet Explorer 5 and up at 800x600 resolution
Copyright Š 2003, DASMA
ONLINE. All rights reserved.