Map & Places
The People & Celebrations
Commerce & Industry
Sports & Recreation
Schools & Universities
The Future City
THE HISTORY OF
DASMARIŅAS: THE TIMELINE
April 9, 1864
A council composed of the Archbishop of Manila, the politico
military governor of Cavite, the Prior Provincial of the Augustinian
Recollect Order and the parish priest of Imus met to discuss the
creation of the new town and parish separated from Imus.
May 12, 1864
The Gobierno Civil Superior of the Islands approved the
creation of the new town (Perez-Dasmariņas).
An ensemble of nipa houses in the other barrios of the
hacienda like Malinta, Nancaan, Salacay, Paliparan, Malagasang and
Salitran were grouped and migrated into a reduccion in barrio Tampus.
October 21, 1866
Her Most Catholic Majesty Queen Isabela II signed the Royal
Order creating the new parish of Perez-Dasmariņas.
From its original inhabitants of 643, the population grew to
The major religious orders like the Agustinians, the
Dominicans and the Recollects who owned vast haciendas in Cavite had
become anxious about the socio-political situation of the province.
The Spanish authorities in Cavite province had become
suspicious of the local elite's activities. There were alleged top
hierarchy meetings of the Recollects in the casa hacienda of Salitran
and San Nicolas.
Don Placido Campos, the current gobernadorcillo at the time
and Don Francisco Barzaga, the secretario municipal gathered the people
to liberate their town from Spanish control.
February 25, 1897
The Spaniards decided to encircle the Poblacion rather go
directly to the interior. They started burning all houses except the
church; Battle of Dasmariņas
March 7, 1897
The Spanish went to Salitran where the Magdalo soldiers led
by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo hid.
General Henry Ware Lawton's brigade operated in the south of Manila,
including the province of Cavite.
July 18, 1899
Three more sitios of Perez-Dasmariņas were raised to the rank
of barrios. Barrio Sampaloc owning to the abundance of tamarind trees in
the place; barrio Tamban was renamed San Jose and Barrio Lucsuhin became
Placido Campos was again elected as the head of the
municipality of Perez-Dasmariņas. Francisco Barzaga then became the
Treasurer of Dasmariņas
The American government made the first census in the
Philippines. The treasurer, Francisco Barzaga and the secretary, Esteban
Quique, made census enumerators for Perez-Dasmariņas under the
leadership of Placido Campos. When the census was finished, the total
population of the town was only 3,500.
The law which was passed in 1901 took effect. It combined the
municipalities of Imus, Perez-Dasmariņas and Bacoor into one.
January 5, 1905
Perez-Dasmariņas became a part of Imus.
Under Governor General Francis Burton Harrison (1913-1921),
Perez-Dasmariņas was again declared a separate municipality. The
provincial governor of Cavite, Antero S. Soriano, convened the local
leaders, including Placido Campos, Francisco Barzaga, and Felipe Tirona.
Together, they agreed to delete the word "Perez" and retain "Dasmariņas"
as the new name of the town. For the second time, Placido Campos headed
the rechristened town of Dasmariņas.
December 17, 1944
Zonification was conducted by the Japanese army in the town
proper. The church was used as garrison and all suspected male residents
involved in the guerilla movement were brought at the back of the
Dasmariņas Elementary School, were tortured and were killed.
Dasmariņas started to develop. The population because of mass
exodus of families from Metro Manila and nearby provinces.
DBB or the Dasmariņas Bagong Bayan was established on 1975
under the government of Pres. Ferdinand Marcos.
Dasmariņas' economic boom. Different factories and
establishments sprouted in the town which gave way for the growth in
population reaching 350,000 while almost 700,000 flocks here in
Dasmariņas. From sixth class municipality, the town became a first class
Dasmariņas was considered as one of the richest municipality
in Cavite and the cityhood of was realized the local government but was
hindered by the people.
Cityhood of Dasmariņas was again pushed through by the local
government under Mayor Atty. Elpidio Barzaga.
Best viewed with Microsoft
Internet Explorer 5 and up at 800x600 resolution
Copyright Š 2003, DASMA ONLINE.
All rights reserved.