Books I Have Read

This page is dedicated to the reviews of classic novels. By classics I mean books that have survived the test of time, and are much loved around the world.

Les Miserables     Pride and Prejudice     The Count of Monte Cristo

The Prince and the Pauper, The Butter Battle Book

Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo

This book, although long and somewhat boring in parts, is one of the best woven stories of all time. A man who is poor and has his sister's large family to support commits a simple crime and is sentenced to prison and hard labor. He is a prisoner for 17 years, and those years harden him, turning him into an uncaring being who feels no love from or for anyone. After a priest finally gives him hope he changes his life, and lives to care for first a whole factory of poor workers, then a single woman worker who has a young child, and then the woman's little girl. Throughout the story people enter in and out, often when least expected, to twist the tale around love, war, selfishness, unselfishness, revenge, and self-denial. The characters are well-developed, and the reader finds it easy to empathize with and feel the joy of each character. After finishing this book it is almost guaranteed that you will look back upon the occurences within the novel as if they happened in your own life, so memorable are they. I recommend Les Miserables to anyone with enough free time (otherwise it's almost hopeless that it'll get finished) and to people who are willing to experience emotions they never knew they had. Good luck!

Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen

This "soap opera" novel is a wonderful picture of 19th century Europe, at it's greatest. Although, in some cases, somewhat predictable, it contains several surprises. The story is based on a family of five sisters, with interesting and differing personalities. They come into contact with various eligible bachelors, and the heartache caused by the game of love. Elizabeth Bennet, the second oldest and most sensible of the sisters, is the main character. She plays matchmaker on the part of her older and favorite sister, Jane, and wants, above all, her happiness. In trying to help Jane, she comes into contact often with Mr. Darcy, the mysterious and ever-changing friend of Jane's hopeful. One of the most amusing things about the book is the author's subtley hilarious sense of humor. You have to look for her little jokes about the society the family lives in, but when noticed, they will put a smile on your face. I reccommend this book to females, or men who want to pry into the historical woman's mind. To enjoy it you should probably have an interest in romance, as it is one of the great romantic books.

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexander Dumas

This enigma of a book is definitely one of my most favorites because of the continuous puzzle. It starts with a man, who has everything he could ever want, but is ruined because of his "friends'" jealousy. He spends time in prison and there learns all sorts of things from a priest, including instructions on how to find treasure. He stores up this knowledge, and uses it to get revenge for his unfair capture. His revenge is the most intricate, well-planned, and most destructive idea that is possible. You never completely figure out what's going on until the very end. During the book there are many strange occurences mentioned that don't seem to make sense at the time, but are explained and accounted for later. The book shows the intelligence of the author, and is one to keep you on the edge of your brain. The only problem I had the first time I read it was keeping the characters straight. If you have trouble with that kind of thing I'd advise making a list, so as to enjoy the book as much as possible. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes mystery, suspense, or brilliant work.

The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain

In my opinion, The Prince and the Pauper is one of Mark Twain's greatest stories. The simple idea of two young, identical lads switching places and then getting trapped in the positions they had idealized before is developed so carefully that it leaves a lasting impression on the mind. Twain is, indeed, a literary genious. The tale switches back and forth from one boy to the other. The true prince, Edward, is left to wander the streets of London, without knowing anything about living beyond his castle walls. The pauper, Tom, is in a position which is safer, but just as confusing and more difficult to understand. While he is learning about nobility and how to act as a future king, while Edward is trying to escape from various pursuers and get re-instated to his proper position. The main problem in the book is the question of how to convince the entire kingdom which is which. There is only one way, or else the boys will be forever separated from their families and proper situations. I'd reccommend this book to anyone who can read. There is seriously something wrong if you don't at least half-heartedly enjoy this excellent novel.

For another splendiferous book, click here!

The Butter Battle Book, by Dr. Seuss

This book is an excellent of the philosophical and questioning side of the author. He turns to modern-day dilemmas to present an interesting and poetic story for the younger generation. Not only is it well-illustrated and amusing, but also it introduces the child to an important issue, that has never stopped being "touched on." Th issue in question is, of course, which side of the bread is the proper side to put the butter on. He examines the problme, and states his musings in the form of weapons, at first simple and direct, then more extravagent. They all have catchy, rhyming names, which portrays the depth of the arguments. For example, the sling-shot-like intrument could pose as a simple statement such as the fact that if the butter is on the bottom it could make yor hands all greasy. The retaliation is, of course, the fact that some people like greasy hands, and the ammunition is flung back in the thrower's face. At the end the reader is left with the question: Who really won the debate? If you want my professional opinion, the butter-side-downers won, for one simple reason. The little child who is hiding in the background. That small creature will, along with the two with the bombs, be killed in an explosion, assuming a bomb is dropped. Therefore, he is a casualty left unprotected, like an unanswered rebutal. We can conclude from Seuss's wondeful book that everyone should butter his or her bread on the bottom. I reccommend this book to anyone who wants a mental challenge, and is willing to dedicate hours to delve into the deep, subliminal side of the book, to make their own conclusion.

There's no place like Home!

Home|Poetry|Links|Quotes|Comfort|Photo Album|Religion|Good Things|About me|Russia
Writing|Art|Book Reviews|Comments|Other|Sign Guestbook|View Guestbook
Along with all my other pages, this page is hosted byYou can have your own homepage here, like me! Free Home Page
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws