Glossary

From: John O'Regan
Date: Tue 08 Sep 1998 - 17:50:44 IST

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Mark & The Mighty Spazmataz wrote:

Perhaps I purchased the Director's Cut edition of the novel, as my copies both clock in at 193 pages, not 95 as you stated. This computes on my large- button desk calculator into 48.25 copier pages, if done two-page per side, double-sided, as you described.

Bandito Mark,

Apologies, apologies! My atrophying brain left out a hundred. The book starts on page 3 and ends on page 193 which, by my Acme de luxe combined wrist sun-dial and astral calculator, makes 47.5 sheets of photocopy paper. Of course, on this side of the Pond, we use A4 whereas on your side you use US Letter sized paper. But I don't think it makes much difference.

...I wrote the letter to you right after making my decision, with no real calculations as to the probable cost. I threw up a guesstimate of $20-30 based on the vision I was having of the Xerox copy I would want to buy of this novel if I didn't have one of the originals. In the vision I had, given my high esteem for this novel, I was seeing a deservedly really nice, lovingly-packaged copy like the swanky, quite professional business plans I used to co-write: one-page per side, color reproduction of the novel's front cover, spiral-bound, protective plastic covers. Those fuckers used to run my partner and I about $20-40 per copy.

...My perspective was that money becomes irrelevant somewhere when it comes to something that provides me so much entertainment.

Perhaps I'm the only person who WOULD want a nice copy or think that it was worth it to pony up two or three ten-spots for it. If you think about it, a fine bottle of aged Scotch costs a pretty penny, and yet you can only drink THAT once. Does that make any sense?

Indeed it does make sense, my esteemed Bandito Buddy and forgive me if my remarks caused offence. None was intended. I felt thirty dollars was a lot of money but now I know where you are coming from.

So, if anyone wishes to discuss a no-frills option, contact me privately. But if you want the Full Monty, talk to Mark,

more later,
John.

 top

Archive last generated by hypermail 2b29
on Fri 16 Mar 2001 - 15:46:30 GMT.

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws