Glossary

From: Derek Groothuis
Date: Thu 17 Sep 1998 - 11:39:15 IST

I think that I would have to answer "all of the above" to that question. There is no one thing in particular that makes Cosmic Banditos such a tremendous book, it just is. The fact that it is so intelligently written, that the characters are all so unique and so individually bizarre, the fact that Robert walks around with a single grenade, "In case of trouble, he pulls the pin, drops the grenade, and 'let the chips fall where they may.'"

Every once in a while, you come across something that is, at its core, so inherently *cool* that it just sticks with you. There are a very few books that are as out-and-out cool as Banditos - I would say Neal Stephenson's _SnowCrash_ is on a par - and its coolness is only enhanced by its rarity (not that I wouldn't mind owning and distributing a few hundred copies).

Anyway, that's my bit on why I like it. It's smart, funny, and just flat out bizarre. On a divergent note, some friends and I have discussed whether it could effectively be made into a movie, and several of us agree that the only people who could come close to doing it justice would be the Coen brothers (Fargo, The Big Lebowski, The Hudsucker Proxy). Anyone wanna write the screenplay?

Derek

 top

Archive last generated by hypermail 2b29
on Fri 16 Mar 2001 - 15:46:30 GMT.

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws