The beautiful Town of Magalang, like an enormous waling-waling petal, starts from two-thirds the heights of the Western side of Mount Arayat, then it descends gradually to the lower levels, with its enlarging outer fringes connecting with the towns of Concepcion(formerly of Pampanga), Mabalacat, Mexico, and Arayat. Strangers, coming to visit Magalang for the first time, immediately fall inlove with its idyllic beauty enhanced by the varying shades of green, supplied bythe trees planted by the Industrious "Magaleños" and by the beautiful flowers in the garden of the housewives of all social and economic strata.
Magalang has a total land area of 9,731.2576 hectares, with 27 barangays. Its chief crops are sugarcane and palay, alternated with other minor crops like corn, peanuts, mongoes, cowpeas, camotes, soybeans, ect. The economic status of Magalang has greatly improved since 1972 when much importance has been given by the government to the improvement of the quality of human life in the rural areas. In Magalang, aside from the increase of the per-hectare yield of agricultural endeavors, animal production as dessimenated by the by the non-formal programs handled by both Pampanga Agricultural College and the Bureau of Agricultural Extenssion, together with the other national agencies in Region III. With the awakened socio-economic and civic conciousness of the townspeople and the Industry and dedication of the personnel of the government agencies, like in magalang has become more productive, more meaningful and more pleasurable.
Like the Inspiring natural beauty of Magalang, the history of Magalang, plann ed and executed by men of great vision, is also beautiful. As early as 1660, Magalang was one of the 15 towns in Pampanga that has an Augustinian convent. The same information was given in the1738 and 1763 reports of the Augustinian Order.
In 1660 the peaceful townspeople of Magalang were agitated by Francisco Maniago in his rebellion against the Spaniards and again, in the same year, the people of Magalang were scattered by the coming of army of Andres Malong led by Melchor de Vega.
"Established By the Augistinians Macapsa in 1605. Scene from encoubter between the followers of Andres Malong led by Melchor de Vera and the Spanish troops in 1660. Moved to San Bartholome in 1734. Swept by the Parua River in the flood of 1863. Re-established in Barrio San Pedro on December13,1863 by Gobernadorcillo Pablo M. Luciano. The Revolutionary Government took over, 12 June 1898 until 5 November1899 when the Americans Succeeded. Occupied by the Japanese,3 January 1942. Liberated by the Americans 1945. Turned over to the Republic of the Philippines, 4 July 1946."
Amplifying and elaborating on the above quotation, based on the other portions of Henson's The Province of Pampanga and its Towns, on the interviews with the descendants of the leaders of the transfers of the town proper of Magalang to one of its barrios, Barrio San Pedro, and on the testimony of Zoilo Hilario who researce at the National Archives in 1938, the following facts are presented.The town proper of Magalang prior to December 13, 1963 was in Barrio San Bartholome whereit was transferred from Macapsa in 1700. When the parua River was flooded on September 22, 1958, the people already started thinking about the safety. But after the last destructive flood of May 1863, the residents of San Bartholome decided to transfer their homes to the better barrios of the town. A group of families followed the Aquinos, Yumuls, Pinedas, and others and selectesd for their new home, Magalang Barrio Matandok or Matando. These families brought with them the image of the Immaculate Concepcion and imploring her protection, they started a new town called "Concepcion" on December 14,1865.A day earlier, December 13,1863, the other group of residents of the original town proper of Magalang In San Bartholome clustered around their young Gobernadorcillo Pablo Luciano and selected Magalang barrio San Pedro or Talimundok for their new home. The Lucianos, the Suings, Cortezes, Davids, and others transferred all their material goods to their chosen site. They brought with them the image of their original patron Saint, San Bartholome, and dedicated their new "Poblacion" to him. Captain Pablo Luciano, Former Magalang Municipal resident- was the newly elected Gobernadorcillo who led the transfer. The old residents of barrio San Pedro were led by Cabeza Cristobal Lacson- father of the two Gobernadorcillos Anicleto and Aniceto Lacson the grandfather of Daniel O. Lacson, the only alcalde of Magalang under the American Occupayion, and the great great grandfather of former Mayor Daniel T. Lacson. Cristobal Lacson donated land for part of the town proper according to a deed of donation discovered by Zoilo J. Hilario of the National Archives in 1930.According to Mrs. Gliceria M. Vda. De Lacson(aged 90), she learned from her forebears and from the older relatves of her late husband Fausto Lacson that the CabezaCristobal Lacson donated the land where the Roman Catholoc Church now stands and the old cemetery that had been abandoned and which has now been converted to a resedential area. Together with Cristobsl Lacson, to welcome the new arrival was cabeza Pedro Trinidad Vda. De Tecson and the Grandfather Of Mrs. Isabel Trinidad Castro and of Monico Trinidad.During the revolutionary period, the battle of Camansi was fought between the Spaniards and the Philippine Revolutionary Forces. This was after the revolutionaries took respite after the battle of San Antonio. This was one of the few actions of the first phase of insurrection which is little known.Two groups of Spaniards forces were despatched. One group with about 1,000 men under the command of Captain Matias passed thru the farm school, Now Pmpanga Agricultural college. The other group under the command/ leadership of General Monet with strength of more than 1,500 men took the trout's from Turu, Magalang side. Unfortunately, a shot was fired by one of the Captain Matias' men. thinking that it was fired by the revolutionary forces, General Monet and his men immediately began firing towards the direction where the shot came. The attack lasted for many hours. About 70% of Captain General Monet's forces proceeded directly towards Camansi. During the Battle, there were only five pieces of firearms. Some of the revolutionaries were Carlos Guiao, Candido Niceta and the wife of Francisco Macabulos. When many of the General Monet's men were alredy high on the dtep of the mountain, the revolutionaries rolled down bolder after bolder. All the men of General Monet at the slope perished. On that fateful day of November 27, 1897, the Spanish Troops Failed six times to capture Camansi. They got it on the next day but the revolutionaries fled amidst the strong storm.Among all towns of Pampanga, Magalang is the only one which can boast of a weel-laid town proper with a well-landscaped park(Plaza de le Libertad) between the Municipal Hall and the Roman Catholic Church and with residential areas divided into blocks each block sorrounded by four streets. This orderliness the town proper bespeaks of the organizational ability of the new town-planners led by Pablo Luciano.On December 28 and 29, 1963, to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the transfert of Magalang town Proper, the town Chief Executive Benedicto T. Dayrit, based on the work of Mariano A. Henson, pieced together the histoty of Magalang. Unfortunately, the then Incumbent Mayor Benedicto T. Dayrit was murdered at the climax of the celebration during the dance on December 29,1963.