A wide range of Middle Eastern
fast food is available throughout Jeddah and is popular with all
nationalities. The staple snack
is SHIWARMA, cooked on large, upright, rotating skewers and consisting of
chicken or beef (meat). The meat
is sliced off the skewer and wrapped in pitta bread with tahini paste, chips,
pickles, tomatos and salad usually in about 3 seconds!
MUTABBAK is a kind of pancake/omelette
filled with vegetables and/or meat. FALAFEL
are deep fried balls of mashed chick peas, an Egyptian speciality.
Most shiwarma cafes also do SHISH KEBAB, charcoal grilled chunks of
beef or lamb on skewers, SHISH
TAWOOK (marinated chicken on skewers) and healthy freshly squeezed fruit
There are also whole,
spit-roasted chickens for SR15-20. Try
the shiwarmas at the row of cafes in Baghdadia/Ammariya downtown (east of Al
Bayya Square, the end of Madinah Road R6).
Those who prefer something different can try CAMEL KEBABS in Balad, to
be found along King Abdul Aziz Street beyond the Mahmal Centre bridge.
The western fast food market
has really expanded over the last few years and special offers are a regular
feature, especially the 'Combo meal' or 'all you can eat' lunches.
With the boom in shopping centres, you are certain to find your
favourite at most of them and they also group together as on Tahlia Street and
Waly Al Ahd Street.
Burgers - International Chains
- flame grilled burgers at sites including Tahlia Street and Hera'a Street and
Obhur, most have play areas
- just look for the Golden arches, most have play areas
- burgers and hotdogs from one location on the Corniche
- more burgers
- near the Bicycle Roundabout
- increasing their outlets across Jeddah, they specialise in burgers with side
dishes such as stuffed potatos and salad bar
- good British burgers! Vegetarians
should try the vegi-burger.
Burgers - Local Chains
- has a menu similar to McDonalds with good quality food
is a Riyadh based chain which has outlets on Hera'a Street, Quoraish Street,
- good burgers and sandwiches as well as breakfasts
Chicken - International Chains
- finger lickin' good chicken in burgers, nuggets and drumsticks
- chicken and biscuits plus a variety of seafood platters
Chicken - Local Chains
Chicken Tikka - quarter chicken, fries and bread for SR10
- is in healthy competition with KFC, locations all over Jeddah
- also serves broast
- cooks the chickens in giant rotating baskets over charcoal, locations all
- also serves broast
Pizza - International Chains
- has lots of branches in Jeddah, some with play areas
- has several restaurants with three types of pizza, nachos, spaghetti,
lasagne and salad bar
Pizza - Local Chains
- also serves pizza
Pizza Sheikh - several branches serving pizzas in varying sizes, calzone, submarine sandwiches, salad bar and chicken
Taco Bell - at the Wendy's Complex on Al Andalus Street - tacos, burritos