+ CAMPUS NEWS
+ SCHOOL CALENDAR
Cagayan National High School (formerly Cagayan High School),
located in Tuguegarao, Cagayan, is the Alma Mater of NAtional
leaders in the civil, diplomatic and military service.
Situated on a 16.5 hectares of ;ang it was purchased by the
provincial board of Cagayan under Governor Gracio Gonzaga.
The thomasites organized the school in June, 1905 as the first
provincial high school of Cagayan with an enrolment of 78. The
first American principal was Mr. Albrow S. Burnell.
In March 1909, the first set of seniors graduated. Except in
1910 (because many of the third year students in 1909 became
elementary school teachers) and the four years of World WarII
(December,1941-April,1945),the school was regularly graduated
The school started offering Domestic Science in 1918 and Secondary
Normal Course in 1921. The last group of Secondary Normal Course
students graduated in March, 1937.
In February, 1922, the corer stone of the Main Building of the
school was laid at its present site.
After more than two decades, the line up of 13 American School
Administrators ended with Mr. Bugbee as the last principal in
1931. Mr. Demetrio Andres became the rfirst Filipino principal
in the same year.
Form 1967 to 1977, the school became one of the ten(10) pilot
schools in the country on the teaching of English as a second
language. As such, it became a regional center for a five-year
English Program in Northern Luzon (Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley
and Mt. Province).
In the school year 1974-75, it started the implementation of the
1973 Revised Secondary Education Program.
By virtue of Presidential Decree No. 1050 issued on July 1, 1977,
the school with its growing enrolment attained a new vision and
stature when it was nationalized and its name changed toCAGAYAN
NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL.