History & Information  |   Photographs  |  Map and Access Details  |  Links


HISTORY & INFORMATION

Cape Liptrap Lighthouse stands upon a isolated rocky cliff top, on a solitary part of the South Gippsland coastline, in the Cape Liptrap Coastal Park (4175 hectares), 160 km south east of Melbourne. The Cape itself is a narrow peninsula formed by the spine of the Hoddle Range running out to sea. It consists of steep cliffs of folded marine sediments flanked by rock pinnacles and wave cut platforms.

A lighthouse was established at Cape Liptrap in 1913 to improve the safety of coastal shipping. The light consisted of 2.1 metre high acetylene light mounted on a 6 metre steel tower.  Cape Liptrap Lighthouse has the distinction of being the first automatic, unattended lighthouse funded by the Commonwealth.

In 1951, the steel tower was dismantled and replaced with the current cast concrete structure, which was converted to mains power in 1970.  The light is still in operation and has a range of 18 nautical miles (over 34 kilometres).  The Cape Liptrap Coastal Park was declared in 1997, and there is no restriction of access to the lighthouse.

Location: 3854'S  14555'E
Nearest Town: Walkerville
Operator: Australian Maritime Safety Authority
Built: 1951
Structure: Octagonal concrete tower
Open to public: Yes
Access: Gravel road
Accommodation: No
Character: Flashing 3 every 15 seconds
Lens:
400 mm catadioptric drum
Power source: Mains power
Intensity: 40,000 CD
Height: 9.75 metres
Elevation: 93.6 metres
Range: 30 kilometres

Sources:
* Parks Victoria
* Lighthouses of Australia Inc
* Lighthouses: Australia
* Reid, G. (1988) "From Dusk to Dawn: A History of Australian Lighthouses", AGPS
* Ibbotson, J. (2001) "Lighthouses of Australia: Images from the End of an Era", Australian Lighthouse Traders


PHOTOGRAPHS

Photographed by K. Eggleston, 24 January 2000 Kristie Eggleston


MAP & ACCESS DETAILS


Refer to regional map at Wilmap for greater map detail.

Access

The Cape Liptrap Lighthouse is located about 200 km south-east of Melbourne, via the South Gippsland Hwy, through Korumburra, Leongatha and Fish Creek.  The road leading to the Lighthouse is unsealed and relatively rough, but can be traversed by 2WD. There is parking available onsite, but no other facilities. Nearest amenities are located at Walkerville.

Since my visit there in Jan '00, a lookout platform and fencing has been built around the lighthouse area. The area is also popular with geologists, due to the folded marine sediments below the lighthouse.

LINKS

Lighthouses of Australia Inc Prom Country

Grant & Tracey's Lighthouse pages Victorian Coastal Council
Parks Victoria Prom Accom
Garry Searle's Lighthouses Australia South Gippsland Shire Council
Anvil Industries

Page last updated:  27 December 2003

Copyright 1999-2003 Kristie Eggleston. All rights reserved.
Email: [email protected]
















Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1