My other pages:
Amber Habib / [email protected]
There are a million and one home pages devoted to India, and you can find
anything from a collection of hindi movie songs to an urdu dictionary.
These are easy to find - for instance, through the
India Home Page
in Boston and the collection of
Indian Home Pages
This page is intended to be a collection of links to articles about issues in
I hope to maintain a certain plurality in the views to be found here, though
ultimately of course this page will be biased towards articles favoring my
own world-view. If you have anything you would like to see added here or
suggestions for a better balance of views, please send email to
And since you came this way, do stop by
my home page.
Note There used to be a lot of links here to articles in The Hindu.
But that paper deletes "old" articles from its online archives, making all
these links useless, and so I have deleted them from these pages.
Unfortunately, this has meant the demise of the sections on "Caste"
Some news sources :
Other organisations :
Muslims and Hindutva
A healthy dose of Kabir is recommended before
- Newspaper Articles
- My pages about the Partition.
- American Federation of Muslims
- Some calculations that debunk the RSS-created myth of a
danger to the Indian polity from the rising Muslim
- Good (offline) readings:
- Manushi (Double Issue), No 74-75, Jan-March 1993
- Committee on South Asian Women Bulletin (Women and the
Hindu Right), Vol 8, No 3-4, 1993
- Women and the Hindu Right: a collection of essays, Ed.
Tanika Sarkar and Urvashi Butalia. New Delhi : Kali for Women, 1995.
- Hindus and Others: the question of identity in India today,
Ed. Gyanendra Pandey. New Delhi ; New York : Viking, 1993.
- Newspaper Articles
- Maps of Kashmir - produced by the CIA !
- Jammu and
Kashmir - a collection of newspaper articles from 1993-95 maintained by
- Amnesty International Report - 1995.
- Caste and Religion Devastates the Labour
Movement - George Fernandes (Workers' Education, No. 9, July 1995)
Samant - an assessment by Javed Anand (Rediff On The Net).
Oppression in Punjab - a 1985 report by Citizens for Democracy.
This publication is banned by the Govt. of India.
- State terrorism and the assassination of
Beant Singh - Association of Indian Progressive Study Groups (Sept 3, 1995).
- CBI unearths covert disposal of 'unidentified' bodies P.T.I. (Indian
Express, July 23, 1996).
Politics / Corruption / Crime
- Here comes the bride - Rahul Bedi (The Electronic Telegraph, Sep 8, 1995) 3,000 cooks fill 30 acres of tables for the wedding of Jayalalitha's foster son .
South Asian Women's NET
Journal of South Asia Women Studies
Sangh Parivar Politics and Women -- Liberation, or Lip Service? -
S. Joshi (May, 1997)
Profile of India.
Environment and India - A collection of newspaper articles from 1993
maintained by 'Prakash'.
- The Narmada
and Tehri Dam files at the
Dam and Reservoir Impact and Information Archive.
India: Open for Business - (
Multinational Monitor , July/Aug 1995).
DuPont - Spinning its Wheels in India - Gary Cohen and Satinath Sarangi
(Multinational Monitor, March 1995).
- The Bhopal
Family Health Survey, 1992-93.
- 'Arsenic calamity' in India's villages -
Roger Highfield (Electronic Telegraph, Aug 10, 1995).
- The AIDS
disaster in Bombay - Ashok Row Kavi (Rediff On The Net).
1993 U.S. State Department Report.
International Reports. From the Human Rights pages maintained at
- Human Rights
in India and
The National Human Rights Commission - maintained by
- 1996 U.S. State Department Report.
Gandhi and the National Movement - Prof. Irfan Habib (Safdar Hashmi
Memorial Lecture at SAHMAT, Delhi, Oct 1998).
On the origins of Indians - D. Balasubramanian, Centre for Cellular &
Molecular Biology, Hyderabad (The Hindu, March 14, 1996).
Links to India information - History - A page at the WWW Virtual Library.
- Internet Resources for Indological Scholarship.
- Some of my pages concerning Muslims and their attitudes towards
Congress and British Rule:
Mohammad Habib and extracts from some of his articles.
- Two of Jawaharlal Nehru's speeches:
My other pages:
Last modified: Feb 7 2001