GET THEM ALL!
Is it possible to recruit all the special characters in the game? Of course it is! And I've done it myself, so I know it works. It requires some manipulation of your Lord's alignment and your reputation bar, but it is possible. The main thing you have to worry about is keeping your Lord's level as low as possible so that the manipulation of his or her alignment can be easy. Reputation is generally easy to manipulate. Basically you have to keep your alignment and reputation high until you recruit Fogel, getting all the "good" special characters up to that point.
After recruiting Fogel in the Ruined City, sabotage your Lord's alignment and your reputation meter to get Deneb and Galf. Then (if you want) quickly raise your ALI and reputation back up to finish the rest of the game. You want to make sure you leave a lot of towns and temples UNLIBERATED, so you can go back and liberate them to raise your reputation. Liberating cities with a 100 ALI unit raises the reputation bar quite a bit. And while the liberation of temples doesn't affect the reputation bar, it increases your chances of drawing out reputation increasing tarots. So it's in your best intrest to leave as many cities and temples unliberated as you can. Below is a mini-walkthrough on how to do this process
1. Warren castle
- Get Lans and Warren as usual.
2. Sharom District
- Get Canopus and Gilbert as usual.
3. Pogrom Forest
- DO NOT get the Mercury, save it as a reputation increase/reputation check later.
- Have your Lord kill off neutral undead to get his or her alignment to 100.
4. Deneb's Garden
- Forgive her. But don't revisit her yet; save the reputation decrease.
5. Slums of Zenobia
- Get Ashe and Lyon as usual.
6. Island Avalon
7. Kastolatian Sea
- Get the Brunhild sword.
- IMPORTANT! DO NOT LIBERATE ANY CITIES OR TEMPLES HERE! You'll want to go back later and liberate them all for a reputation increase.
9. Valley of Kastro
10. Balmorian Ruins
11. Alpha, Muspelm
12. Beta, Organa
13. City of Malano
15. Temple Shangrila
16. Fort Allamoot
- Uncover the Choas Gate to the Ruined City and beat the stage.
17. Gamma, Ruined City
18. Deneb's Garden - Sabotage your Alignment
- Have your Lord kill the level 1 neutral Pumpkins in the mountains until his or her alignment is below 30.
19. Deneb's Request - Sabotage your Reputation
20. Delta, Antanjyl - Sabotage your Reputation even more
- Enter the stage, then move your Lord's unit (make sure it has High Sky movement) directly east of your base to the edge of the screen. A High Sky enemy Vampyre group will make a direct beeline to you. Sometimes it will capture your base immediately, and sometimes it will choose to chase you ignoring the your undefended base. If the enemy group chooses to chase you, immediately move your Lord's group far north to the top of the screen, and then further east if you're still chased. Another enemy group will reach your base a little past midnight and you'll be brought back to the main map to repeat the process. At this point in the game, this will be the fastest way to sabotage your reputation.
21. Recruit Deneb
- Go to Diaspola and purchase a Golden Bough. Return back to Deneb and give it to her. If your reputation is low enough, she'll ask to join. Allow her to. If she doesn't ask to join, then continue to lower your reputation by repeating the step above.
22. Delta, Antanjyl
- Beat Galf and give him the Brunhild when he asks. Remember to take advantage of Galf's presence once he's joined, and collect the items from several of the towns in this stage by returning to them.
23. Raise your Lord's Alignment and Charisma back up
- Go to Antalia and have your Lord capable of doing white damage, go out and kill the neutral undead there until he she has 100 ALI. Remember, the "Phantom" attack Lord is not capable of killing the undead because his attacks are always Black elemental. You must find another way to raise your Lord's ALI and CHA if you have such a Lord.
24. Raise your Reputation back up
- Return back to the Kastolatian Sea, and use your 100 ALI Lord (paired up with a 100 ALI flyer to make your life easier) to liberate the cities you left behind. If you draw any reputation decreasing cards like Devil, Death, or Fortune, reset and liberate again.
- Return back to any unliberated cities and temples you left behind in other stages and liberate them.
- You know your reputation has recovered if you return back to the Pogrom Forest and get the Mercury item.
There you have it. My method for recruiting all the special characters in the game!
Return to Black Mantle Page Return to Ogre Battle Page