Motherwell History 6
(Taken from the Motherwell Times Supplement June 23 1983)
In 1927 Lord Hamilton of Dalziel opened his Home Farm dairy at Knowtop and, obviously recoiling from the General Strike, the Lanarkshire Steelworks were put up for sale.
The Lanark music festival was visited by an up-and-coming young singer-Robert Wilson-who went off with first prize.
The smithy at Windmillhill was photographed in the Motherwell Times columns in 1929. and in March of the same year Mr Thomas Ormiston was awardwd C.B.E. for his cinematographic and public services.
A photograph of the Old Mallaeble Works also appeared in the paper. Mr. W.D.Barclay of the Bank of Scotland intimated his retirement.
A Golden Wedding of some importance took place in Jyly when Mr. and Mrs. Peter Black attained their 50th anniversary.  Mr Black was the first child registered in Dalziel Parish!  The first photograph of Motherwell appear in the paper was carried in the issue of October 1929 and, during the month, phone boxws whereby police could be called were installed-an eventful by any standards, but the depression of the Thirties became established throught the land.
After having been part of the scene for over 20 year, the tramcars were to be replaced by buses, and with an eye to this coming about, a big bus merger was reported in 1930.  The begining of the year also saw the passing of the old Parish Council and the dissolution of the Town Band took place in the Spring of the year. The final meeting of the Parish Council was held in May and the Town Council decided to take over the function of poloicing the burgh.
Woolworth's opened in Brandon Street and three of Scotlands best-known entertainer-Sir Harry Lauder, Tommy Lorne, and Robert Wilson all appeared at different times at the Empire Theatre (now the National Tyre Service Depot Camp Street (now in 2001 not there).
In 1931 Mr David R. S.Crabb a Motherwell man who was later to become internationally known as the Bathsmaster at Motherwell and trainer of world-class swimmers was appointed Bathsmaster of Prestwick.

Traffic Lights were established at the Cross.
A promising young pianist William McCluskey, was presented with a medal for his music prowess by H.R.H. the Prince of Wales.

Mr James Stirling, who had been appointed burgh librarian the previous year, introduced the open access system to Motherwell Library in which extensive renovation had been executed. The new Clyde Bridge over the river between Motherwell and Hamilton was officially declared open.The year 1932 was notable for the Motherwell  F.C. achieviement in winning the Scottish League Championship and in that winning of course the setting-up by Willie MacFadyen of the goal-scoring record of 52 goals in the season. Mr Thomas Ormiston chairman of the club was engaged on weightier mstters and he made his maiden speach in the House of Commons.  Lord Belhaven in the "other house" was dicussing yhe acceptability or otherwise of a Scottish Parliment.
In time for Christmas Fraser's Resturant      opened in Muir Street
Lady Hamilto died in the early part of the year and towards the end of the year the new Public Library at Wishaw-set in the sylvan setting of Kennilworth Avenue- was opened by Sir  Robert Raitt, chancellor of Glasgow University.

Hosted by