|FREEDOM FOR SCOTLAND|
|SCOTLAND'S MA HAME|
|Motherwell History 7|
|(Taken from the Motherwell Times Supplement June 23 1983)|
|Mr John Fram, who achieved wide fame through his businness enterprise, Frame Tours died in Janury of 1934.
Motherwell F.C. embarked on their second South African Tour and Miss Muriel Ormiston, daughter of Mr Thomas Ormiston, M.P. and mother of Linda Ormiston, who was to follow in her mothers footsteps as a singer over 40 years later- was presented at Court.
Lady Moseley visited the Town ans the Keir Hardie Memorial Day was celebrated at Legbrannock.
Elections during this year hearalded the start of the Labour domination of the Town Council.
In 1935 ministers and politicians dominated the early news of the year. The Rev. James Robertson (known formarly as the singing minister and formarly from Motherwell) died and the Rev George Candish. B. Sc. B..D. assistant to the Rev. J. Bryce Jamieson, B.D. (later to recieve the Doctor of Divinity degree from Edinburgh University) was inducted to his first charge at Carluke. He remained there for over 10 years before recieving the important appointment of Leader of the Elim Row Community in Edinburgh, The Rev. R.D. Cairns, Clason Church was also moved. He was the sole nominee for a Dunfermline charge.
Provist Thomas Chambers was one of a number of Civic Chiefs who were addressed by the Prince of Wales and, in the same month Mr Crabb from Prestwick was appointed Bathsmaster to Motherwell and Wishaw where, within a decade, he was to produce the swimmers and polo players that brought fame to the Town.
Not far from where Mr Crabb now lives in retirement, the Carfin Hall premises wee accuired by the Government and the old bridge over the Clyde was partially demolished.
The Cinema in Barrie Street had been renovated and in March it re-opened giving Motherwell (at that time) three picture houses- La Scala, Pavillion, and the New Cinema. Later in the year reconstruction work was begun in the New Century Theatre. No doubt with a view to keeping up with the general trends in providing adequate premises for entertainment, the Towh Hall was re-seated.
The Y.M. Institute in Brandon Streeet celebrated its Jubilee during the year of the Royal semi-jubilee,and a number of the town's streets were re-named Mgr.Cannon Currie, a well known and respected Roman Catholic clergyman died, and ex Provest William MacNeill O.B.E. was honoured on his having 50 years in the business. The Rev. Fr. Bartholemew Atkinon later to become well- known, was appointed to succeed Mgr. Currie, and several burgh officials were awarded the Jubilee Medal.
Mr William Ballinger a prominent name in the Trade Union circles here and in South African politics, was addressing a conference in Geneva, and in September the Rev. A.K. Mincher B.D., was ordaned to the ministry and commissioned to missionary work in Nigeria- north of where Mr Ballinger held sway.
Another extremly well-known politican fom thes pre-war days was Pat Devine brother of Michael Devine, the masseur and chiropodist in Jerviston. Pat a member of the Dalziel Parish Council, had been in Moscow and recorded his impressions for the Times readers. Another Colvilles extention was approved the old Calder Bridge was closed: a proposed boulevard was suggested for along the Clyde; and Mr P. J. Givens was appointed Sheriff Clerk Depute at Lanark:and a clock was installed at the Town Hall to round of a "newsy" year.