SCOTLAND'S MA HAME
FREEDOM FOR SCOTLAND
Motherwell History 2
1890-1897
(Taken from The Motherwell Times 1983 centenary edition)
GLASGOWS great, smelly, noisy underground railway had its construction beginning in 1890 and Motherwell firm James Goodwin, was appointed principal contractors.
Industry continued to predominate, and plans were passed for the erection of Marshall and Flemings Delburn Works.
Just over the main line, David Colville and Son had added 25 acres to their original feu ? would this be the ground on which Ravenscraig is now built?. (Now demolished) Could be - bearing in mind that the whole of what is now Ravenscraig was patrolled by Colville workmen etc., during the First World War and during the General Strike. A railway strike ended the year and, on another topic entirely, the Motherwell U.P. Church bazaar raised an incredible I,167!
Right on what is now our own doorstep in Hope Street (the Motherwell Times Office is no longer in Hope Street) railway men were evicted and riots took place before the Riot Act was read. Things were moving in the railways in more ways than one. The towns ratepayers had supported the extension of the North British (later the L.N.E.R.) line to Motherwell and the new goods shed for the Caledonian Railway was opened in Brandon Street in the early part of 1891. With the opening of the Lanarkshire Steelworks (no longer in operation) there would be of course an increase in railway traffic.
Motherwell was always regarded as a religious place, if not exactly one of the country?s holy places. Moody and Stanky of hymnbook fame visited the town in March 1892, the Hon. Gavin S. Hamilton was gazetted in the Scots Guards and his father Lord Hamilton appointed Lord-in-Waiting to Queen Victoria.
Clason Church (no longer there) plans for the erection of which were submitted to the Dean of Guild Curt in 1891, was officially opened, and Alex Findlay and Coy. Ltd., (no longer there) won a contract to build bridges for the Highland Railway.
In those far off days (1893) there was actually a pit situated in Hamilton Road Watsons  No 2 to be precise. Watson?s No 4  which was located at the foot of Ladywell Road ceased working during the Second World War. The present Wimpy Housing Estate is built in the area of the pithead and before the housing development was proceeded with, a raft of concrete was laid to counter any subsidence.
A Baptist Church bazaar  what popular events these were! - Realised 663. There were Jubilee celebrations at Dalziel Free Church and in the very year 1893 when the Dalziel Co-op Board decided to erect new premises in Dalziel Street and Scott Street.
The Burgh Seal was adopted in August 1893, and it was formerly and officially decided that in future the senior Magistrate would be known as Provest. The registration of voters under the new Act of Parliament was carried out in Motherwell the first area to be so canvassed under the terms of the new Act.
Two new events happened in the early months of 1894 ? the wife of the Provest Colville gave birth to a son (the future Lord Clydesmuir. Father of the present Lord Lieutenant) and the new post office in Clyde Street was opened. Later in the Autumn the West Highland Railway was complete with, engineers pleased to note, fewer than 400 steel bridges on the route.
Plans were passed in October for a new football field at Fir Park (the current home of Motherwell Football)
The start of 1895 saw appropriately, the start of a new column in the paper  a regular feature on Y.M.C.A. activities Campbell Bannerman, a national political figure, addressed a public meeting in the Town Hall and continued the succession of political top-brass from the main parties, who spoke at political meetings in the town. There was the first election of Dalziel Parish Councillors in 1885 but with the opening of the Holy Trinity Church and of the Baptist Church  and the opening of Fir Park  the news items about the Parish Council elections would necessarily take a back seat.
On an entirely different note the Motherwell election Bill was passed, and this paved the way for the Burgh manufacturing its own Electricity Committee and in the case of the gas industry, a Gas Committee went out of local authority control when thee industries were nationalised after the Second World War.
Street preaching at the Cross was a controversial issue, but in the Castle Vaults at the Cross, to and behold, lighting was by electricity. Another of those great Bazaars proved to be a money-spinner. On this occasion the three day event at South Dalziel Parish Church realised over 800.
The year 1897 would by popular vote, however be remembered for the death of dominie Alexander Whamond after whom Whamond Street was named.
Homepage
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1