A Denali Park Pilgrimage, By Brian Miller

At this point, we come upon the Teklanika:
And at the point above where it is indicated "we entered here" it looks something like this:
The Teklanika is grey and silty, very cold and fast moving.  According to written accounts, there is a cable that stretches across it to allow easier access to the other side, but we could not find it.  We moved south along the bank, looking for a braided section that might allow us to wade across, a risky proposition to be sure.  After about an hour of sloshing through very cold, fast moving water that could easily knock one down, we got across, first John, then me, then Pat.  When we got through it, it was seven o'clock Saturday evening, with about 10 miles left to go, and we all had to be back at work on Monday... sheesh.
When we crossed, I celebrated with a photograph:
Thinking that we were through the hardest part, we soldiered on.  However, the trail very quickly disintegrated into enormous BEAVER DAMS that turned the very trail itself into a large long chain of ponds!  Fording the dams was difficult, for we had little clue as to their dimensions, and we ended up walking along the north ridge of the dams, but it would have been much easier and quicker to go along the south end as the trail was closer there.  So we caught up with the trail eventually and headed west into a very striking creek valley, thick with tall spruce and crystal clear standing ponds.  There we stopped to rest for a moment, at a bend in the creek, and heard a human voice!  "Hey bear!"
"Did you hear that?" I asked.
"That was an animal," Pat proclaimed.
"That was a guy saying 'Hey bear!'" John advised.
"Heeeey bear!"
"Don't shoot!"  I yelled.
Eventually, three grubby travellers emerged, two women and a man, with walking sticks.  They looked like they had had a hard trip.
We asked them how the trail was and at what time they left.  They said that they stayed at the bus site, and that it was the best camping
spot in the area.  They said that they had left at three o'clock in the afternoon, which meant that it had taken them 5 hours to walk from there to near the Teklanika.  We parted company and began the long hike up to the top of a hill, indicated by 'hilltop rest stop' on the photograph above.
Back / Forward

Order Video

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws