Map of Florida Dade's Massacre 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 Home

Dade Massacre or Battle at Wahoo Swamp

The start of the Second Seminole (Florida) War

Chief Jumper

The first significant event, which would be considered the start of hostilities, was the defeat of the column commanded by Brevet Major (Captain) Francis Langhorne Dade. This column included a detachment of Company "B", 4th Infantry , Company "C" and detachments from Companies "B" and "H" of the Second Regiment of Artillery and Company "B" of the 3rd Regiment of Artillery, along with a guide, surgeon, and teamsters. the force totalling approximately 100 men and eight officers bound for Fort King from Fort Brooke, now known as Tampa. Dade's force was told upon leaving Fort Brooke to be ready for any hostilities. There had been reports of recent uprisings north of the reservation and their route would take them into the heart of Seminole country. The messages sent by General Clinch from Fort King were vague in the description of the current situation. In his dispatches he had just stated that he needed troops at Fort King immediately, never stating why. The commanding officer at Fort Brooke took this as the Fort was under seige and needed help immediately. He frantically mustered the force and sent them on their way hoping to send re-enforcements as soon as they arrived by ship at Fort Brooke, which was reported to him as any day. With the hope that they would be able to join up with the column and break the siege of Gen. Clinch's troops at Fort King. The real reason for the message was to state that due to the lack of provisions he was forced to relocate his force to his plantation near Micanopy, Fla. and wanted Fort Brooke to supply the men for the garrison of that fortification. In past engagements the Seminoles perferred the hammocks of Florida, due to their hiding capabilities. Once Dade made it to the pine barrens he believed that there would be little to no trouble on his way to Fort King. On December 28, 1835, near Wahoo Swamp, Chiefs Micanopy, Alligator and Jumper laid in ambush for the column heading to Fort King. This location was one of several sites picked in the pine barrens around the swamp, because the Seminoles knew that the U. S. Forces did not expect to be attacked there. This site was selected primarily because Osceola, who was expected to join in, was late and Micanopy decided to start the engagement there. With swamp land on Dade's flanks the column had only one choice, to fight.

The Forlorn Hope of Fort King Road The Dade Massacre December 28, 1835 Florida's Second Seminole War
                           JACKSON WALKER

The Seminole force had been covering the U. S. force for many days and knew that their guard was down. Due to normal proceedures the enlisted men had their muskets inside their greatcoats or on the wagons to keep moisture from the weapons. This would have devastating consequences for Dade's men. Hidden by pines and palmettos, 180 Seminoles waited. Their initial musket volley at point blank range killed or wounded half the command. Major Dade and Captain Upton S. Fraser were the first to be killed. Three of the six surviving officers were wounded. Captain George W. Gardiner rallied the men and returned fire with the six-pound cannon.

From website Tour of the Florida Territory

As the Seminoles withdrew a short distance, the soldiers hastily built a small breastwork made out of logs in a triangle. They then cared for the wounded and collected ammunition from the fallen. The Indians' second attack lasted until about 2 p.m., when all the firing from the breastwork ceased. Most of the command was dead. The Seminoles, followed by their black allies, closed in. Three wounded soldiers, Edwin DeCourcey, Joseph Sprague, and Ransom Clark made it to Fort Brooke alive. Dade's black interpreter, Louis Pacheco, was taken captive. The Seminoles, with only three warriors killed and five wounded, retired to Wahoo Swamp to celebrate.

The view of Dade's Battlefield when found

The scene of the ambush remained deserted for seven weeks. On February 20, 1836, an expedition under General Edmund P. Gaines identified the bodies and gave them proper military burials. The officers' bodies were placed on the east side of the trail, the 98 enlisted men in two graves within the log breastwork. The cannon was retrieved from a nearby pond where the Seminoles had thrown it. They mounted it. Muzzle down, at the head of the officers' grave, as a monument to the dead. Six years later on August 14, 1842, Dade's silent command was laid to rest at the National Cemetery in St. Augustine. This was made possible by contributions from the officers and men of the army. This battle was one of the most terrible defeats ever suffered by the U. S. Army at the hands of the native peoples, second only to Custer's Last Stand.

Monuments at the National Cemetery in St. Augustine; all the casualties from Dade's Massacre are buried under the pyramids Monuments at the battlefield along the old Fort King Road

Map of Florida Dade's Massacre 1836 1837 1838 1839 1840 1841 1842 Home
Hosted by