From Another Return:

"Don’t I get a ‘Good Night’ kiss?"

"Harm, I thought we just agreed to take things slow."

"One kiss, Mac. Who knows when I’ll get to do it again. Please."

Between his wounded puppy dog eyes and his patented "flyboy" grin she could never refuse him before, and this was no exception. "Alright. One kiss, and then it’s to bed with you."

"Okay, Mac."

After what seemed like forever, Harm finally closed the distance between them...

 

Part 1

HARM’S APARTMENT
NORTH OF UNION STATION

After what seemed like forever, Harm finally closed the distance between them.

Lips so soft, so yielding, opened for him. She opened her mouth, offering, and Harm wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to explore the previously forbidden territory. Tongues met and mated in an age old lover’s dance. ‘She tastes incredible,’ Harm couldn’t help thinking. ‘This is what I want. I want to be able to kiss her like this for the rest of my life.’

As his left hand snaked into Mac’s short, silky locks, his right began a tortuously slow journey over her body. The soft but firm contours of her voluptuous form molded like clay in the hands of a sculptor. So yielding, so pliant.

"Oh, Harm..."

"Mac..."

While dropping feather light kisses on her eyelids, the tip of her nose, the corners of her mouth, his hands went to work on the buttons of her blouse. One by one, his fingers began their slow descent. Working each button, his fingers lightly brushed every inch of exposed skin, causing Mac to involuntarily shiver. Soon, his lips followed suit. Brushing the silky fabric aside, his lips blazed a trail of fire over already heated flesh.

Starting at her collar bone he gently nibbled his way up to her earlobe. Taking it into his mouth, he bit down ever so slightly, causing Mac to almost shoot up off of the bed. Next his tongue soothed, licking the already sensitive lobe. Abandoning her ear for the time being, he made his way to the base of her neck. Nibbling, sucking, licking, he alternated, making Mac whimper in pleasure.

"Mac, lay back."

His husky whisper held Mac entranced. Silently, she did as he asked. Laying back on the bed, Mac looked up into his passion glazed eyes. He had promised to take this slow. He had said they could be just friends for now. Gazing at the vision before him, he knew this was one promise he couldn’t keep. He wanted her, he needed her.

As if sensing his inner struggle, Mac decided to make the decision for him. Slowly skimming her fingertips up and over her stomach, they finally came to rest on the front clasp of her bra. With a boldness she didn’t know she possessed, she flicked the clasp open, exposing herself to him completely for the first time. Silently, she waited for his reaction.

Harm had ceased breathing. She was exquisite. Her chest was heaving, straining for his touch, yet Harm was hesitant. Everything was happening so fast. Tentatively, he reached for her only to pull back just before making contact.

"Harm, touch me. Please..."

Her whispered plea snapped his fragile control. Gently, he traced along the outsides of her supple breasts. Dancing over her sensitive skin, his ministrations were causing Mac’s breath to come out in short, ragged pants. Finally, he cupped one heavy breast in his hand, rubbing his rough palm across the aching tip.

"Oh, God Harm."

Further encouraged by her response, Harm began kissing and nibbling the underside of her other breast while his hand still fondled it’s mate. When Harm finally took the engorged bud into his mouth, Mac couldn’t hold back the small scream that escaped. Harm feasted at her breasts like a starving man and only she could give him what he craved.

After giving both breasts equal attention, Harm trailed soft, open-mouthed kisses down her flat stomach. By the time he had reached the waistband of her jeans, Mac was writhing beneath him. Again Harm hesitated, not knowing for sure if Mac was ready for this next step. Things were about to change forever...

While Harm was lost in thought, Mac seized the opportunity to catch Harm totally off guard. Reaching out, Mac rubbed the heal of her palm against his already painful erection, causing Harm to gasp, startled out of his revere. The bulge in his pants had grown unbearably uncomfortable and Mac definitely had a few ideas about how to relieve the tension. However, both were way overdressed for what she had in mind.

Locking her eyes with his, Mac stood up slowly, seductively, coming to stand in front of him. Half reclining, half sitting, Harm watched with rapt wonder from his prone position on the bed. Mac pushed the silk shirt off of her shoulders, her bra quickly following suit. Then, reaching for the button on her jeans she disengaged it from it’s hole and slowly eased down the zipper. Sliding the jeans down her long legs, she stepped out of them when they finally pooled at her feet. Kicking them aside, Mac stood before him in nothing but her white lace panties. Harm couldn’t help but lick his lips in anticipation. She looked delicious, he could only imagine what she would taste like. Thank God, he didn’t have to wait any longer to find out...

Knowing it would be easier to get Harm out of his clothes if he were standing, she crooked her finger at him, signaling that she wanted him to come to her. Harm obeyed, his only thought: to please Mac. When he stood in front of her, their bodies so close to touching but not quite doing so, she reached for the string in the waistband of his grey Navy sweats. His upper body was bare so this was the final barrier for him. He had opted for sweat pants instead of just boxers for the sake of modesty, like it mattered precious little now. Her knuckles brushed across his abdomen, making the muscles clench in response, and Harm gasped again at her touch. Never had a woman ever effected him like Sarah Mackenzie. Everything about Mac turned him on, from her beautiful face and body, to her sexy voice and spunky spirit. She stimulated him as no other ever had. Renee, Jordan, Annie, not even Diane, he now realized, had ever been able to capture him like Mac...Sarah.

Trying to be careful of his tender ribs, Mac massaged his hips, continuing around to the swell of his backside. Her arms fully around him, she pressed her aching breasts against his chest. Both moaned at the intense pleasure, at the complete contact of skin on skin. Soon, it wasn’t enough. He wanted to feel her length against his, with no barriers between them. Reaching for the elastic of her panties, Harm pushed them down and over her hips. In turn, Mac pulled the string and proceeded to rid him of his sweats. Naked, they just stood there, waiting for the other to move.

Harm reached for her, pulling her to him, as his lips descended on hers. The kiss was hot and demanding and so passionate Harm would have sworn, under oath, that the earth had moved with just that one kiss. Hands roamed and caressed working both into oblivion. Laying her gently back onto the bed, he covered her completely. His pelvis ground into hers and hers answered, arching toward his straining manhood. His cock was poised at her core, begging entrance.

"Mac...please...can I? Can I make love to you?"

"Oh, yes Harm." As she answered, her legs spread for him...

HARM’S APARTMENT

NORTH OF UNION STATION

SEPTEMBER 18, 2001 23:35 EST

The ringing of the telephone woke Harm from his intense dream. Waking with a start, he was hard and alone, and sweating profusely. The dreams were becoming more and more frequent, not to mention more and more intense. He couldn’t seem to get his body under control these days. Ever since he had admitted to himself that he had feelings for her, his body responded to every nuance that had to do with Mac. Work or home, personal or professional, it was all the same. He wanted her...

The incessant ringing of the phone brought him back to reality. Who the hell would be calling at this hour...

"Yeah, Rabb!"

"Well hello to you too, flyboy," Mac’s grumpy reply came across the line.

"Mac," Harm croaked. "Oh, God I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to..."

"Hey, it’s alright. Did I wake you?"

Harm was glad his partner wasn’t in the same room at the moment to see the deep crimson color stain his cheeks. "Umm, yeah, actually you...umm...did."

She might not have been in the same room with him, but she definitely knew he was uncomfortable about something. ‘Wonder what I interrupted....’ "Sorry I didn’t mean to wake you. Listen, I’ll call back later when your up."

Harm recovered quickly. He wasn’t ready to let her go just yet, he had really missed her these last two months. She was on an undercover assignment, and where as the details were highly classified, Mac had still managed to keep in touch with him, only talking about personal things when they did manage to speak to each other.

"No, don’t go. I....I’m up now anyway, and...and...besides I...really...I really..."

"Harm, are you alright?" Mac whispered into the phone, so as not to be overheard by anyone who might be lurking around. He was stammering and Mac was starting to worry that something was really wrong with him.

"Yeah, Mac. I’m sorry. I just wanted to tell you... how much...God, I miss you, Mac."

Smiling, Mac leaned against the wall for support, not knowing if she could trust her legs to do the job anymore. Hearing the longing in his voice, Mac had to smother the sigh that threatened to escape. In the months since his crash, Harm had been relentless in his pursuit to get their once ruined friendship back on track. They were closer now than they had ever been, and Mac couldn’t complain. He had gone out of his way to be everything she had ever wished he would be. Things had been going so well, and then she had been given the carrier assignment.

"I miss you, too, Harm. You want the bad news or the good news first?"

"Give me the good news first. I could really use some good news right about now."

"Well, the good news is, I had a major breakthrough in this case. Seems that their was...wait. Maybe I shouldn’t be going into to details. Anyway, things are going pretty well. I think we might be real close to finding the truth about whose responsible." Mac paused for a moment before adding, " I really wish you were here with me, squid. I miss my partner."

Harm closed his eyes, willing his emotions to calm. Not trusting himself to totally spill his guts to her, Harm opted for a safer topic. "So, what’s the bad news, Mac? I’m not going to like it am I?"

"Well, I don’t know. The bad news is, I’m definitely going to be stuck here for probably another three weeks to a month." Mac waited for his response. She didn’t want to upset him but she was really hoping that she’d find out just how much he was going to miss her. She had missed him fiercely, and wanted to be sure he felt the same. ‘Selfish, I know. But I just want him to...’

"Another month, Mac? Are you sure it’s going to take that long?"

A little deflated by his response, Mac replied. "Pretty sure. I wish I could say I’m optimistic and that it will all be over in the next week but, I just don’t think it’s going to happen."

"You need some help. It’s too much for you to do all by yourself. Maybe I..."

"Thanks, Dad, but I have it covered. I’ll be fine." Knowing she wasn’t going to get the response she wanted out of him, she decided to let it go. "Listen, I had better get going. I’ll talk to you again as soon as I can."

"Wait, Mac. I...are you sure you’re alright? I mean, are you in any real danger? I don’t want anything to happen to you. Not when I’ve just been..." He was about to say ‘given another chance’ but had stopped himself. Not now. He couldn’t throw his insecurities on her now. She was in the middle of an investigation and didn’t need to be worried about him.

"Look, Harm. I’m fine. Everything is going to work out. I’m close on this one. It’ll be over before you know it and I’ll be coming home." ‘To you’ she wanted to add but kept it to herself. She didn’t want to throw her insecurities on him, not when it seemed he was worried enough about her as it is.

"Not fast enough, Marine. I can’t wait to see you again," he whispered quietly, once again with a longing he couldn’t hide.

"Not fast enough for me either, Harm. I can’t wait to see you, too."

"Hey, so what do you say to dinner at Le Toure’s when you get back in town? We could really do it up right, paint the town and all. We’ll celebrate you cracking this case and nailing the bastard responsible to the wall. So, what do you say?"

Letting out a low whistle, Mac replied, "Wow, Le Toure’s, huh? Fancy. So, Harmon Rabb, are you asking me out on like an official date?"

Smiling to himself, Harm’s answer was immediate. "Yes, Sarah Mackenzie, I am asking you out on an official date." Hesitantly, he continued. "So, what do you say?" He repeated.

Finding enough breath to respond, Mac answered. "Okay, sailor. You’re on. Harm, I have to go, but I’ll try calling again tomorrow."

"Alright, Mac. I’ll be waiting. Goodnight, Ninja Girl."

"Goodnight, flyboy."

As the connection was broken, Harm noticed that his body still hadn’t ‘calmed down’ from his previous dream. The wonderfully amazing, technicolor dream had given way to the real thing on the phone and his body hadn’t been able to tell the difference. It was going to be another long night...

On Mac’s end, she had been so enthralled with her amorous partner, and the promise of seeing him and going out on their first ‘date’, that she never saw the figure tucked around the corner. But he had seen her and he had heard every word...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Harm, oh Harm. Don’t stop. Don’t ever stop..."

Her sighs echoed in the small room as his hands roamed over her heated flesh. She was on fire. Only he could quench the flames. His tongue traced down her rib cage, while his fingers pinched and rolled her nipples. The pleasure was too much. She was starting to climax and he hadn’t even...

His hot mouth found her core. Bucking against him, she opened herself to him, offering everything she had. Slowly licking her dripping folds, Harm’s amazingly skilled tongue continued to work her body into a frenzy. Spreading her swollen flesh with his fingers, he again lowered his head.

"Jesus, Harm!"

"Come for me Sarah..."

Lapping at her engorged nub, he inserted one finger, then two into her. While pumping in and out of her, his palm began to rub her clit. His calloused flesh combined with the stimulation of his fingers caused Mac to come harder than she ever had...

He watched her, beautiful, naked and writhing on her bed. With a small sigh, he knew it was time to leave before someone caught him. There would be another time...soon he would make her his, forever.

The slamming of her door caused Mac to start from the highly erotic dream. She was back on the Nimitz, not in Harm’s arms. While that in itself bothered her, she couldn’t help the feeling that she had been in some way violated. Looking around the small room, she noticed nothing seemed out of place. Her laptop sat on her tiny writing desk and her lock box was still secure...so why was she so scared. Getting up, the sheet pulled around her nude body, she checked the door finding it unlocked. Panic shot through her body. "It was locked. I know I locked it before I went to bed. Oh, God someone was in here. Someone...someone saw me..." Mac looked over to her rumpled bunk. Then she noticed her discarded night clothes laying on the floor. ‘I don’t remember taking those off. Maybe during the dream... but what if he...’ the thought went unfinished, not wanting the possibility to ever be a reality. She didn’t want to know if he had touched her. The only man she ever wanted to touch her was thousands of miles away in D.C. "Oh God, Harm. I need you." She wailed into the small stateroom. All she received was silence.

The night was passing slowly. Sitting on her bed, all Mac could do was rock back and forth, her arms wrapped tightly around her knees. She was scared and alone. ‘What am I going to do? What if he...what if...’ Emotions were roiling inside of her. She was tempted to go to security and tell them about what had happened. She also needed to be examined to be sure she hadn’t been...raped, but she really did not want to know the definite answer to that question. Rationally, her mind was telling her there was no way someone could have done something like that to her and her not realize it. On the other hand, she had been so enthralled by her dream about Harm that she wasn’t sure. ‘Suck it up, Marine! Let’s go and get it over with.’

U.S.S. NIMITZ

MEDICAL QUARTERS

"Well, Ms. Harmon, you seem to be fine. From what I can tell, there was no penetration what so ever. Now, I can’t tell you for sure if he touched you at all, but I can say that he didn’t fully rape you. However, rape comes in more forms than just penetration I’m afraid. I’m sorry. I hope it is some consolation that you don’t have to worry about...some of the repercussions. Now, what I suggest you do is get down to security and report this. Especially after what happened yester..."

"No, I can’t. I...I’m not ready for people to know about this yet. Maybe if it happens again..."

Looking around nervously, Doc lowered his voice before continuing, "I think you’re making a big mistake, Mac. If you report it, your assailant might be less inclined to try it again."

"Doc, you of all people know why I can’t. Anyway, thanks for all of your help. But right now I just need to get some sleep. I can handle myself. I’m a Marine."

"Yeah, well, Marine or not I...never mind. Alright, if you won’t change your mind at least let me help with the sleep. I can prescribe a sleep aid."

"No, that’s alright. I’ll find it on my own. Besides, I want to be alert in case he tries again." Hopping off of the table, Mac started toward the door. "Thanks again, and please, please keep this to yourself."

"Alright, Lieutenant, but only for now. You know the chief medical officer is obligated to report an incident of this nature. If this happens again, and someone finds out this isn’t the first time, we are both screwed." Holding up his hand to cut off her protest, he continued. "I know you can handle it. I’ve seen you in action before, Marine, remember? But if you need me for anything, don’t hesitate to ask. Alright?"

Nodding her affirmative, she headed out the door and back to her room.

U.S.S. NIMITZ

INDIAN OCEAN

SEPTEMBER 21, 2001

1st Lieutenant Patricia Harmon, A.K.A. Sarah Mackenzie, sat staring at the blinking curser of her laptop computer. Things had become more complicated in the last three days. She had thought things were coming together. She had thought she was making some headway in her investigation. She had been wrong. One brick wall right after another had left her with absolutely nowhere to go. Not to mention she was now being stalked. In two days time, her "admirer" had become more aggressive, leaving not so subtle traces of himself for her to find. First the notes started appearing under her door, tacked to her computer, laying on her bed, and today in her mail. The last frightened her the most, fearing if he had access to her private mail, then he had access to the classified information being transferred to and from her to Clayton Webb and the CIA. Well, at least she had thought the last had frightened her the most. That is until last night...

When she had been approached by Webb two months ago, she had no idea what she was really in for. Of course, Webb had told her only the minimum amount of information needed, and had turned her loose to deal with a very high level security situation on her own. Very few people knew the real reason she was on the Nimitz. Even the Admiral didn’t know the whole story. And she knew that when Harm found out the real reason, he’d be furious, not only at Webb, but her for not telling him and for agreeing to the mission in the first place...

SARAH MACKENZIE’S APARTMENT

GEORGETOWN 22:36 EST

THURSDAY, JULY 12, 2001

The shrill ringing jarred Mac awake. She had been sitting on her couch, dozing, for the past hour. Sitting up, she reached for the cordless phone sitting on the coffee table.

"Hello," Mac answered groggily.

"Mac, it’s Webb. I need to talk to you."

"Webb? What the hell time is it?"

"Wow, what’s up? I thought you always knew the time."

"Never mind. It’s coming back to me. What do you want?"

"I need to ask for a favor, Mac."

"Clay, can’t it wait?"

"No, Mac. It can’t wait."

Sighing, Mac asked. "Alright, when and where?"

"Now, and I’ll be up in five minutes."

The door opened before Clay had even raised his fist to knock. The sight that greeted him almost took his breath away. Sarah Mackenzie was standing before him in nothing but a white tank top and marine green boxers. Damn! Trying to put his CIA game face on, Clay stammered out, "Hey, Mac. I...uhh...didn’t mean to wake you but it wouldn’t keep."

"It’s alright, Clay. What’s going on?"

"Aren’t you going to let me in?"

"Am I going to regret it?"

His face was all seriousness. "Yes."

Her only answer was to open the door wider and step out of the way to let him pass.

"Thanks, Mac."

Closing the door and then turning to head to the kitchen, Mac threw over her shoulder, "Hey, you want some coffee?"

"Yeah, that would be great."

Another five minutes later, Mac was sitting across from Clay, ready to hear what this was all about. She had learned a long time ago not to question. If he said NOW, it was important. "Alright, Clay. Spill it."

Opening the briefcase that he had carried in with him, he took out a file and handed it to her. Silently, he waited, watching, with no emotion on his face.

Finally, she looked up at him with blank eyes. "You want me to go in undercover? Why all the secrecy, Clay. If someone is after her why not just be forth coming and protect her? Why do I need to infiltrate?"

"Look, Mac. The rebels are not working alone. Someone on the Nimitz is a traitor."

Exhaling slowly, Mac ventured on, "Well, Clay, how exactly are we supposed to find out whose behind it? I mean, I would assume that whoever is behind it would have to be someone within the security detail. That would be the most likely place to start."

"That’s just it, Mac. We know nothing except for what we’ve been told about the ‘who’ and the group behind the threats."

"Why me, Clay? You know I gave this sort of thing up a long time ago. Why now?"

"Mac, there are a number of reasons, but the main reason is...she asked for you personally."

"Why the hell would Bobbi ask for me? We can barely stand to be in the same room together let alone..."

"Mac, she knows you’re the best candidate for the job. I guess I shouldn’t really be telling you this but...she originally asked for Rabb. We immediately nixed the idea. Too many people know him not to mention he was personally involved with her at one time." Clay noticed Mac tense at the mention of Rabb’s former fling. "You can blend in better. We need you to try and find the mole before Bobbi is even scheduled to arrive on the Nimitz. That’s why we’re sending you early. We want you to build trusts, make friends. Find out everything you can about these people. Learn their habits, their personalities. You have the best instincts in the show, Mac. You always did. You and Abby..."

Mac smiled at the mention of her former room mate and still good friend. Mac hadn’t seen Abby in a long time but they had managed to remain close over the years through constant e-mailing and the occasional phone call. However, because of Abby’s CIA position in the field, most of their correspondence was done in secret. Looking at the far off look in Clayton Webb’s eyes, Mac could tell the agent still harbored feelings for her friend.

"Have you heard from her, Clay."

Drawn out of his thoughts, Clayton Webb again put on his poker face and answered. "No, I have seen Abigail since...no, I haven’t seen her."

Not wanting to push the subject further, Mac again addressed the mission. "Why would they want to assassinate Bobbi Latham?"

"They just want to assassinate an American. It really doesn’t matter who it is or why. She just happened to be the official going. Her campaign against the OSPREY is taking her to the carrier, the rebels found out, and this will be a great boost to their cause. We know who the group is, that is not in question. We want to know how they plan on getting close enough to be able to do the job. That’s how we know someone on the inside would have to be working with them. There’s no possible way other wise."

Mac again skimmed the folder in her hands. Clay knew, when the small smile played at her lips, that she had finally arrived at her new identity. Looking up at Clay, she quirked her eyebrow in silent question.

"We thought it would be easier for you to remember. And, knowing how things are between you and Rabb, I thought it would make it easier on you to be away from him, you know, if you could feel some kind of connection to him."

"We already have the connection, Clay. But, I like it. Patricia Harmon. You’re right, it will be easy to remember."

"Lieutenant Patricia Harmon is the new Marine public relations officer aboard the Nimitz. You’ll be given access to computers and personnel records, and be able to question around without too many people becoming suspicious. You’re new and you just want to get to know the people you’ll be serving with kind of a thing."

Sighing and closing the folder, Mac couldn’t shake the feeling of uneasiness that had come over her. "Alright, Clay."

"Alright, as in you’ll do it?"

"Yeah, I’m in. But there are a few things I want in return."

"You name it, Mac, and I’ll try to get it done."

An hour later, after the terms were agreed upon, and both sides were satisfied with the outcome, Mac ushered Clayton Webb out of her apartment. Sitting on her couch with a thud, Mac laid back against the thick cushions. ‘This isn’t going to be easy. Harm is gonna kill me if he ever finds out.’ Groaning at all the possible outcomes of this assignment, and at the pounding in her head, Sarah Mackenzie fell into a fitful sleep...

Now here she was, hurting and alone, needing Harm. ‘God, Harm. I need you. Please, I need you so badly...’ With those last thoughts, Sarah Mackenzie laid down on her bed and cried.

U.S.S. NIMITZ

SEPTEMBER 17, 2001

It had been easy enough, fitting into life on a carrier. Most of the enlisted personnel had been more than willing to accept the new public relations officer into their circle. Patricia Harmon was outgoing and friendly, easy to talk to. She had made a few really close friends in the PR office and had relentlessly tried to come up with something, anything that would shed some light or create a shadow of doubt. In all instances she had come up short, that is, until this morning.

One of the women in the office, Lt. Leslie Martin, had failed to report for duty. Concerned by the abnormal occurrence of the usually punctual officer, Mac had been sent to Lt. Martin’s quarters. Expecting to find that the Lieutenant had overslept, Mac was unprepared for what she had found. Leslie’’s bruised and battered form lay lifeless on the floor. The attack had been brutal, blood staining the floor and walls. Mac immediately called for the MP’s to come and secure the scene. Escorting Leslie down to sick bay, Mac had waited while Leslie was examined.

"She going to be alright, Doc?"

"I’’m not sure, Lieutenant. She was beaten unconscious, and depending on how much damage the head sustained, I really don’t know at this point. We’ll just have to wait and see. Do you have any idea who could have done this to her?"

"No, not really." However, Mac knew that Leslie was having an affair with one of the pilots on board. Captain Mark Gardner was the senior officer in charge of the OSPREY unit on the carrier. He was also married with two children and a pregnant wife at home, which made had Mac dislike him from the start. Then she had come to the realization that she, of all people, had no business judging anyone. She had shrugged the affair off, thinking it had nothing to with the job she had been assigned to do. Now, she wasn’t so sure. Why now, when Bobbi Latham was scheduled to arrive in two weeks, would something this out of place happen. It wasn’t sitting well, something was definitely not right.

"Well in that case, we had better make sure this is turned over to the proper authorities so a thorough investigation can be conducted."

"Yeah," Mac mumbled. She knew, more than likely, what that meant. Soon, a Jagman investigation would be launched. Soon, a certain Navy Commander might catch wind of what was going on here. If that happened, there might be big trouble. On the other hand, she really could use the help and it would also give her a chance to see him. She would keep it to herself for now though, not quite ready to relinquish control of her investigation. She wanted to talk to Captain Gardner first, gage his reaction to the news about his mistress. "Doc, when do you think I"ll be able to talk to her?"

"Depends on when she regains consciousness and what kind of mental condition she’s in when she does."

"I understand. Thank you, and could you please notify me when there is any change in her condition."

"Absolutely."

Walking out of the medical quarters, Mac made her way to the helo bay. Upon entering, Mac noticed the Captain immediately. "Captain Gardner. Can I have a word with you please?"

Not even flinching, the Captain locked eyes with Mac. "Of course, Ma’am. Lieutenant Harmon isn’t it?"

"Yes, but just call me Patty. I’m a friend of Les’s." And then she saw it, a small flicker of fear passed through his stormy grey eyes. Not giving her advantage away, Mac hurried on. "I was wondering if we could maybe talk somewhere more...private."

Recovering his composure quickly, the Captain answered. "Sure. Why don’t we talk in my office. This way."

Mac followed closely behind, noting the tense posture of the officer in front of him. Ushering her into the small office, he offered her a seat.

"Thank you, Captain."

"Please, call me Mark."

"Thank you, Mark. Mark, I was wondering if you had heard about Les yet?"

"No, what’s wrong?"

"Well, she was late for her shift this morning. I was concerned because she’s never late. So, I went to her quarters to check on her." There it was again, that flicker of fear, then gone just as fast. "Someone almost beat her to death."

"No, it can’t be. She’s alright isn’t she? She’s going to be okay?"

He was quite an actor, Mac had to give him points for that. But that’s exactly what it was, an act. Pressing further, Mac continued, "Mark, Les told me about your, umm, relationship. Don’t worry, I have no intention of telling anyone the nature of that relationship. But, I just have to know. Do you know of anyone who would want to hurt her? She was so sweet and kind and..."letting out a small sob, Mac couldn’t continue. He wasn’t the only one who could act. Laying it on thick, tears started to fall onto her cheeks.

"Patty, it’s alright. I can’t think of anyone who would want to do this to Leslie, but we’ll get to the bottom of this. I promise."

"Thank you, Captain. I feel better after talking to someone who cares about her as much as you do. I know she’ll pull through." Noticing him tense one last time she had what she came for. "Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll be going and let you get back to work."

"Thank you, Ma’am, for caring and for your...understanding of our delicate situation."

"Anything for friends, Mark." Smiling her best smile she left his office and headed back to sick bay.

JAG HEADQUARTERS

FALLS CHURCH, VA.

SEPTEMBER 21, 2001

Harm made his way across the bull pen to the solitude of his office. It had been a lousy day, a really lousy three days actually. Mac had promised to call the next night, but had failed to do so. Harm knew there was probably a good explanation, but couldn’t help that part of him that felt that something was really wrong. When she had failed to call the night after that, he just knew. Mac was in trouble, he could feel it. Sitting his brief case and cover down, he sat down behind his desk and immediately reached for the phone. Dialing the now familiar number, he was surprised when Clayton Webb picked up on the second ring. "Webb."

"Webb, it’s Rabb. I need to talk to you."

Webb’s sigh could be heard across the line. "I was wondering how long it would take before you started snooping into your partner’s whereabouts."

Harm couldn’t help but smile. "How do you know I was going to ask about Mac? Maybe I had something else entirely to ask you."

"Yeah, right. You want to know about Mac, and before we get into it my hands are tied, Rabb."

"Bull shit, Clay! You know where she is and I want to know, now," Harm demanded.

"Harm, you can’t get involved in an undercover government investigation. If we wanted you involved we would have asked."

"Clay, I don’t know how to explain it, but something is wrong. She’s in trouble. She needs me."

Shaking his head, Clay remembered Mac’s statement from the apartment. ‘‘We already have the connection...’’ Maybe Rabb, knew something he didn’t. "Look, Rabb, I know you and Mac have been keeping in touch," Harm squirmed in his chair uneasily. "Did she say anything that would make you think she was in any immediate danger?"

Thinking quickly Harm replied, "She said she had finally had a breakthrough in the case. But, she never goes into anything in detail when she calls. It’s mostly just persona...she never talks about the investigation." The exact content of their conversations were none of Clayton Webb’s business.

Sensing Harm’s unease at sharing personal information, Clay continued. "Harm, I know about your phone calls because that was one of the stipulations Mac set up before she took the assignment. She made it clear that she wanted to be able to talk to you, and I gave her a secure line cell phone to make those calls on. She didn’t want to be separated from you but she also knew how important this operation is. We can’t compromise her without some proof that she’s in danger."

"Clay, I don’t want to compromise her, I just want to make sure she’s okay. Please, I need to know."

"I can’t tell you, Rabb. I will however make sure everything is fine and let you know."

Resigning himself to the fact he wouldn’t get any more out of Webb, he agreed. "Alright, Webb. I’ll drop it for now, but if anything happens..."

"Don’t worry,. I know the drill. Believe me, I’m going to let you kill me if something happens to her. Contrary to what everyone seems to think about me, I do care."

"I know Webb." With that the line went dead.

Before Harm could place the phone back in the cradle, Tiner knocked on the door. "Sir, the Admiral wants to see you ASAP."

"Thank you, Tiner. I’ll be right there." Something was definitely not right.

U.S.S. NIMITZ

INDIAN OCEAN

SEPTEMBER 20, 2001 PREVIOUS DAY

There had been no improvement in Leslie’s condition. She still had not regained consciousness, and with each day, Doc held out little hope for recovery.

"So, what now, Doc?"

"Well, I’d say it’s still to early to tell, but it doesn’t look good. She’s slipped into a coma. The trauma to her body was so extensive that her mind has shut down. I don’t think you’ll ever be able to get anything out of her."

"Dammit!"

"So, what are you going to do now?"

"I don’t know, Doc. I don’t even really know if this is related to the case. I just...feels like it is."

Closing the door to ensure their privacy, Doc turned again to face her before asking, "Do you have the copy of Gardner service record?"

"Yeah, I’m going to go over it with a fine tooth comb when I get back to my quarters."

"Speaking of quarters, have you heard any more from your...visitor?"

A shiver ran up Mac’s spine. "Yes, he left me another note and a picture this time."

"What was the picture of?"

Looking nervously at Doc, Mac quickly adverted her eyes before answering. "It was a picture of me on the fan tail, talking on my cell phone."

"Shit, Mac! Do you think this guy is on to you? Maybe your position has been compromised," Doc rushed, not bothering to keep the worry out of his voice.

"I don’t think so, Doc. He was close enough to get that picture and he left a note saying he’d heard the conversation. I wasn’t talking to Webb at the time."

"Who the hell were you talking to?"

Mac sighed. She had hoped to keep this part to herself but it didn’t look like that was going to be a possibility. The proverbial "cat" was now out of the bag. "I have a secured line cell phone. I asked Webb for it before I ever agreed to take the assignment. I wanted to be able to talk to my partner back in D.C. and Webb thought it would also be a good idea in case I was ever in trouble and needed to get a hold of him."

"Wait a minute. Back up the truck, Marine. Are you telling me that you almost completely blew this fucking assignment just so you could talk to your boyfriend back home?"

Indignant, Mac replied, "Look, Doc., first off he’s not my boyfriend he’s the man I lo...he’s my partner and best friend. And second, don’t even stand there and tell me how to do my fucking job!"

A slow smile turned up the corners of Doc’s mouth. Crossing his arms in front of his chest he looked directly at Mac. "So it finally happened."

Nervously Mac countered, "What are you talking about?"

"You fell didn’t you? This guy must be pretty damn special to break through those steel walls of yours."

"I don’t know what you’re talking about," Mac replied even as she turned away from him.

"You know EXACTLY what I’’m talking about. You are head over heels about this guy aren’t you?"

"Yes, dammit!"

"Wow."

"Oh, knock it off would you."

"No way."

Sighing, Mac finally accepted the inevitable. "Alright, Doc, but not here. Why don’t we go get some coffee and I’ll tell you all about my new life."

"You’re on, Marine. Let me get Candy to come keep and eye on our patient here."

"Candy, huh? As in "Candy" striper? Or is it just a coincidence?"

"Cute, Marine, very funny. You aught to take it on the road."

"I’m a funny gal."

With a snort he turned and headed toward the office door. "I’ll be right back and then we can have that heart-to-heart."

"Can’t wait," Mac mumbled under her breath.

U.S.S. NIMITZ

INDIAN OCEAN

SEPTEMBER 20, 2001

Mark Gardner was panicked. This wasn’t supposed to be happening. Not like this. God dammit! Why did Leslie have to go stick her fucking nose in his business? Why did she have to find the e-mail conformation he had received from Hazzar? Why now, when everything was so close, his mission almost accomplished? Stupid bitch. Why couldn’t she just die? Now he was going to have to deal with the possibility of her being able to finger him as the accomplice to the assassination of Bobbi Latham. That was an unacceptable scenario in his mind.

Something had to be done about Leslie. He needed to finish the job. Maybe he could get in to see her with the help of that friend of hers, Patty. His mind traveled back to earlier in the day when he had encountered that unbelievably sexy marine. She was gorgeous. God, what he wouldn’t give to get inside of her. He could feel himself getting hard at just the thought of pumping into that luscious body. Groaning and pushing the thoughts aside for now, he decided to e-mail Hazaar and notify him of their current situation, a task he was not looking forward to. He hated dealing with these fucking, lunatic fanatics but they would serve his purpose. All that mattered to him was the corp. He had to stop that bitch, woman senator. She had no business trying to shut down a program she knows nothing about. The OSPREY was a necessary and vital part of Marine aviation, and Captain Mark Gardner had every intention on keeping it operational and was determined to do whatever took.

He had enlisted help and soon was ready to start putting his plan into place. Sneaking a member of the rebels on board, he would set up a time when Bobbi Latham could be taken care of. Then when the hit was made, he’d take out the traitor himself, being in the right place at the right time, and make himself look like the hero he was. The program would be saved and the rebels would get the blame for assassinating a Senator. And who cares what kind of retaliation came from the rebel’s action, they all deserved to die anyway. The way Gardner saw it, he was doing them all a favor.

It was all a neat little plan...until Leslie. Shaking his head as if to clear it, he got up from his computer. He’d take care of Leslie. No loose ends. It would all be over shortly. Whistling, Mark left his quarters and headed for sick bay.

U.S.S. NIMITZ

MESS HALL

Mac sat across from Doc, pushing the food around on her plate.

"What’s wrong, Marine? I don’t think I’ve ever seen you when you weren’t hungry."

A weak smile graced her face. How many times had Harm said the same thing to her? The same familiar ache filled her body, now and every time she thought about Harm. So far away...

"Hey, Marine. You still with me?"

"Yeah, sorry, Doc. I just got lost there for a minute."

Taking a sip of his foul coffee, Doc ventured on, leaning in close so only she could hear. "So, spill it. Tell me all about the guy that finally got through the Marine to the real Sarah Mackenzie."

Sighing heavily, Mac started recounting their journey. From a Rose Garden to a sad and too short ‘‘Goodbye’’ at the airport as she left for this mission. She told him everything, all of the missed opportunities, all the heart ache, and of all the wonderful times they had had over the over the last five years. She told of the many adventures they had shared, of the crazy stunts Harm had pulled, and all of the times Mac had bailed him out of one tough situation or another.

Doc sat listening to his friend tell her story, never once interrupting, even when he had wanted to. If the way she talked about this man was anything to go by, no wonder their friends and coworkers had thought they would one day be a couple. The look of love and respect she had etched onto her face, while talking about Harmon Rabb, was enough to tell the whole story by itself.

An hour later she was finished, but also physically and emotionally spent. Doc, made a low whistle before he began to comment on the incredible tale he had just heard. "Well, Mac, I gotta hand it to ya. You certainly know how to pick ‘em."

That did bring a smile to her face. "Yes, I most certainly do."

"So throughout all that time, you two stupid people never once admitted you even cared about each other? Unbelievable! All of those times, the dessert in Iraq, Russia...twice, your other stalker..." A frown creased his forehead, "which, not to change the subject, but you really do need to report this guy, Mac. What if he has nothing to do with this case and is just after you? Either way he’s serious trouble."

"Doc, we’ve already went over this..."

Doc’s raised hand effectively cut off her protests, "Okay, Marine. I’ll drop it. But I’m serious Mac, if this guy tries it again I am going to report it and make sure they send someone to investigate it...if you catch my meaning."

"You are a devious bastard. Yes, I read you loud and clear."

"Good." Satisfied, he continued on with the previous conversation. "So, back to you and Harm. Why did you never say anything?"

"I told you, I tried. I tried to get him to open up in Australia but..."

"Whoa, wait a minute. No, you ambushed him and backed him into a corner, and then still proceeded to talk in riddles."

"But..."

"Don’t you see? You both were holding two conversations. You were asking him to commit to a physical relationship, he was talking about forever."

"What? No, wait just a minute. Now, I think you’re the one who has it backwards. I was talking about forever."

"Mac, come on. You were just on the beach with this Mic guy, topless for Christ’s sake and you don’t think Harm got the wrong impression?"

"But I wasn’t topless. I was..."

"It doesn’t matter what you ended up telling him about what you were or were not wearing. He only knows what he felt when he saw you and Mic together. And what he felt scared the hell out of him."

Meekly Mac asked, "What did he feel, Doc?"

"Like he was losing you all over again. Just like with Dalton, he was watching you slip away. And he knew it was all his fault."

"But when I finally bared my soul on the ferry, why didn’t he just tell me."

"Because, Mac, you didn’t ask the right questions. You both skirted around the real issues. I’m not saying you are totally to blame, but Mac, men are stupid creatures."

"That excuse sucks."

"I know it does, but there is truth to it. He was asking for time. Hell, you guys weren’t even friends really at that point in time. Sounds like you were a royal bitch to him when he came back from sea duty."

"Hey!"

"Well, it’s the truth. You yourself said that things weren’t the same. You and this Mic guy had grown closer, and Harm realized he had made the biggest mistake of his whole life. He came back hoping to get his well ordered life on track, and here his ‘‘best friend’’ is throwing it in his face that he really has no place at JAG or in her life. How do you think he felt, Mac?"

"What about me? He left me, Doc. Up and left to chase a half-assed dream. Left everything that meant anything to him. His girlfriend, his job, and m...me."

"Mac, it had nothing to do with you."

"That’s just it. It should have! It should have had at least something to do with me."

"Mac, listen. From what you’ve told me Harmon Rabb, Jr. is a man with demons. He withdraws within himself wanting to face them alone because he’s always faced them alone. He doesn’t know how to share that part of himself, to ask for help. Everything he’s ever really loved in his life had been taken away from him. His father, his mother for marrying another man, his girlfriend was murdered, and his dream of flying. He got a another chance to realize that dream. He was getting back a love he thought he had lost. He was secure enough to go back to flying because he thought your friendship was secure enough to handle it. Imagine his surprise when he found out he was wrong."

"I tried to be happy for him, I really wanted to be happy for him. I just couldn’t. I was miserable without him. I had let the barriers fall in my life for the first time with him. And when he left, I felt so exposed. So, I built them back up, only higher this time. When he came back, I...just couldn’t let him all the way back in. It hurt too much."

"So, to avoid the hurt with each other, you both ran to someone else."

Startled by Doc’s insight, Mac could only shake her head yes. "Yeah, I guess we did."

"You didn’t realize, until just now, that you threw him right into Renee’s arms, did you?"

"No, I didn’t."

"Jesus, Mac."

"I know, it was a real mess for a long time."

After a lengthy silence, Doc. finally asked, "And now how are things?"

A dreamy look came across Mac’s face. "Things are definitely better. We’re working on our closeness, our friendship. We’re starting to open up again to each other. We’ve talked more in the last three and a half months than we did in the last three years."

"So, nothing in the way of a...romantic relationship?"

"It’s definitely heading that direction," Mac couldn’t help the blush that crept up into her cheeks.

"You know, Marine? You are very pretty when you blush. I think this man is good for you. I’ve never seen you look more lovely or in love."

"Ah, love. Well, love is tricky."

"Shit! You still haven’t told him, have you?" It was more of a demand than a question. "After everything that happened, him almost dying, you calling off the wedding, three and a half months and you still haven’t told him."

"Well, Doc., he hasn’t said it either. We’re just being careful, taking our time with each other, finding our way to each other again."

"You’ve had enough time to do that, Mac. You’re a Marine, dammit! You’re a take action kind of gal. Why not take control and make something happen. Storm the beach! Take what you want."

Smiling at her friend, Mac gently shook her head no. "Not this time, Doc. It’s always been me asking. This time he’s going to have to fight for me. I can out wait molasses if I have to."

"God, I can’t believe you two," Doc, muttered while checking his watch at the same time. "Damn, we’ve been sitting here for almost an hour and a half. I need to get back and check on Leslie. Although, I’ve got a bad feeling about it, Mac. Whoever did this to her...Mac, she wasn’t meant to wake up...at all. They got her good."

Shuddering, Mac stood up with her tray off uneaten food. "Well, then I guess I’m back to square one for the time being. Come on, I have to get back to the office and you need to get back to Leslie." They were almost out of the door before a small hand on his arm halted him. "Doc? Thank you, so much, for everything."

Knowing this incredible woman as long as he had, Doc knew what the statement had cost her. Sarah Mackenzie had just as many demons as Harmon Rabb. Doc just hoped that they could finally learn to fight them, together. "You’re welcome, Marine. Let’s go before our Hallmark moment gets out of hand." With that, he pushed out the door toward the medical quarters.

From a safe distance away, he watched. God she was amazing. So beautiful, so strong. He needed her, he wanted her, and soon she’d be his. Very soon...

U.S.S. NIMITZ

INDIAN OCEAN

SEPTEMBER 20, 2001

Mac was exhausted. Today had seemed to go on forever, and she still had not been able to call Harm. He would be panicking right about now. She had told him that she would call last night and hadn’t been able to. Today was the same. Just not enough time in the day.

Sluggishly, Mac made her way down the narrow corridor toward her cabin. She was tired but wired. She needed to work some of the tension off, and decided to head for the gym before hitting the showers and heading for bed. Quickly changing, Mac headed for the gym, never noticing the figure hiding in the shadows, watching, waiting.

After working the bench, Mac took her turn taking her frustrations out on the bag. Striking over and over again, Mac’s mind turned to this assignment, rolling the details over in hear head. Nothing was adding up. Everyone had turned up clean. She’d searched the records of everyone on this ship and nothing out of the ordinary stood out. Even Mark Gardner was an exemplary Marine, if not a deplorable husband. Something was still not right where he was concerned, though Mac couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

Worn out, Mac hung up the gloves and called it quits. Her brain was on shut down mode along with the rest of her body. Slowly, she headed for the showers which were totally empty. Mac stripped down and walked under the stinging spray, letting the hot water pound he aching muscles. She never saw the man come up behind her until he had already grabbed her around the neck. Her Marine instincts kicking in, she grabbed his arm, trying to gain some leverage on him in the slick stall. Unable to do so, she bit his arm as hard as she could, hoping the action would buy her time enough to break free.

"Ahhh, BITCH!" Momentarily stunned, Mac did seize the opportunity. Mac started to run, only to have her arm caught in his powerful grip. Trying to stop her struggles, he swung at her, catching her across the jaw. Pain exploded in her face, but still she fought. Again, he hit her across the face knocking her back against the wall. Hitting her head hard against the tile wall, he brought the cloth up to her bloodied mouth. She struggled, trying to fight off not only her attacker but the effects of the drug claiming her conciseness. Too soon, she lost the battle, falling limply into his arms.

He stood there looking at her nude body, the aching in his own overwhelming him. He wanted her now. Laying her gently down onto the tile floor, he slowly began to unzip the fly of his pants, freeing his pulsing member. None to gently, he spread her legs, and poised himself to plunge into her limp body. The sound of a woman screaming broke into his passion clouded mind. Realizing he had been caught, he stood up and ran, knocking the startled woman out of the way.

He ran hard and fast down the corridors and farther into the bowels of the ship. He had taken the ski mask off of his face, so as not to arouse any more suspicion. He forced himself to slow down. He was out of danger. No one had saw his face. Smiling to himself, he couldn’t help but still be excited. He’d been so close, but he’d just have to wait a little longer. Just a little longer. And then he could claim what was his.

Just a little longer...

Doc rushed past the crowd that had gathered around the Lieutenant laying unconscious on the floor of the women’s showers. His worst fears were realized as he looked down at Mac’s prone body. He tried to mask the panic that was seizing him, but knew he was probably doing a poor job of it. Shit! What was he going to do know? He knew exactly what he was going to do. He was going to report this, and ask specifically for a JAG lawyer to come investigate. He had one in mind he knew would be more than willing to take the job. He just wasn’t looking forward to Mac’s wrath when she found out what he was about to do, or Harmon Rabb’s when he realized that Doc had not reported the fist incident. He was going to be dealing with one pissed off sailor, and Doc wouldn’t blame him one bit if he took a swing at him. He already felt like he had totally let Mac down.

Clearing everyone out, he covered her up and got his people to get her to sick bay. The young woman that had found Mac was still shaking in the corner, trying to give her statement to the MP’s that had arrived shortly after the attack. Doc overheard her tell them she had interrupted the attacker before he could rape Patty, but he’d been about to. Rage coursed through Doc, at the same time relief flooded him that she had been spared that horror. Things would be hard enough for her to deal with.

Placing her on the gurney, they wheeled her down to the medical quarters. Doc thoroughly examined her, noting the dark bruises that were now starting to cover her body. She had put up one hell of a fight. Most of the bruising was on her arms where the man had tried to hold her. The ones on her face were the ones that were killing him. Her beautiful face was swollen and the dark bluish-purple stains were already starting to form. Doc gently traced his finger over the largest one on her jaw when Mac’s eyes fluttered open. Momentarily disoriented, Mac started to struggle still trying to fight off her phantom attacker.

"Mac! Mac! It’s ok, Marine. You’re safe now. He’s gone. Your safe."

Doc’s soothing words penetrated her drug fogged mind and she collapsed against him. Soon she began to sob, hoping her tears would wash away the helplessness she felt. "I tried, Doc. I tried to fight him but he was too strong."

"I know, Mac. It’s going to be okay. One of the younger Lieutenants walked in and startled him before anything else could happen."

"Oh, thank God. You mean he didn’t..."

"No, he didn’t."

A wave of fresh tears came, as Mac clung to Doc. He held her gently, rubbing her back, soothing her fears. Finally, Doc broke the silence. "Mac, you need to rest. I’m going to give you a sedative and keep you in here overnight. No fuss, Marine." Doc reprimanded when she started to protest. "You’re staying, and that’s that. Now get comfortable."

Her weak smile made his uneasiness fade a little. "Alright, Doc."

When he came back into the room, she was laying in one of the beds, covered up to her neck. She looked so small and helpless. Doc, however, knew better. She was one tough broad. Hearing him enter, Mac turned and looked him in the eyes. Her fear had been replaced by her determination. She would be just fine. There was no room in her mind to think otherwise. Again, Doc marveled at the amazing woman before him.

"Here take these," Doc. commanded as he held out two yellow pills and a dixie cup of water.

"Thanks," Mac managed to mumble her reply. Soon after laying back, exhaustion took over and Mac was sound asleep.

Making sure that she was, Doc called Candy into the room. "Candy, keep an eye on her would you? I have to file a report and put in a call. I won’t be gone too long. Just make sure no one gets in here and that she doesn’t leave."

"Leave? Why would she leave?"

"She’s just that stubborn. Just make sure, okay? I’ll be back."

"Yes, Sir."

The two stared at each other a moment longer than necessary, before both adverted their eyes, pretending that nothing had passed between them. Doc knew he had to get his feelings under control where Candy was concerned. His work was usually too dangerous, let alone time consuming, to get into a serious relationship. But Doc couldn’t help the feelings that stirred in him every time she was near. Shaking his head as if to clear it, Doc went and filled out the report and then headed to the communications room.

"I need to get a hold of an Admiral Chegwidden at JAG ops. Falls Church, VA. It’s urgent."

"Yes, Sir. One moment."

"Here we go," Doc. muttered to himself.

JAG HEADQUARTERS

FALLS CHURCH, VA.

SEPTEMBER 21, 2001

Harm made his way through the bull pen to the Admiral’s office in record time. Knocking swiftly on the door, Harm heard the immediate cry of "Enter", and made his way into the inner sanctum of the Admiral’s office.

"Have a seat, Commander. I have a feeling you’re going to need it."

The hairs on the back of Harm’s neck were standing at attention. Something was definitely wrong. Sitting in one of the leather chairs facing the Admiral’s desk, Harm braced himself for what he sensed was coming.

Pausing a moment before speaking, AJ looked at his senior officer. He hated to do this, but after hearing of the incident he knew there was no way he would keep Harm from going to her. AJ had been furious to learn the truth about Mac’s undercover assignment. When the Doc on board the Nimitz had phoned him, he was still in the dark, especially with Doc’s cryptic statement "Trust me. You’ll want to investigate this case". There in the dark he remained, until he had received the fax with Lieutenant Patricia Harmon’s service photo. The pieces fell into place with a resounding thud.

He knew Harm had been missing her. He was pensive and on edge, not at all his usual self. AJ had no idea what the current state of their relationship was, but he was afraid this was going to send Harm off of the deep end. Taking a deep breath, AJ started in. "Commander, I have an assignment for you. A Marine Lieutenant was assaulted yesterday on the Nimitz. Seems another Lt. was also beaten two days prior. The first woman, a Lt. Leslie Martin, was beaten severely. She is now in a coma, not expected to recover." Sighing, AJ continued, "The second was a Lt. Patricia Harmon. Both women worked in the Public Affairs office. Harm...well, here. Just take a look for yourself."

Taking the folders from the Admiral, Harm looked first at Lt. Martin’s, and then opened the other folder. Harm gasped when he saw the photo of Patricia Harmon. "No. Oh, God no."

"Harm, I’m sorry. I had no idea where she was or what her exact assignment was until this morning. I did talk to the Doc and he said she’s fine. A little shaken up, but fine. The reports on both attacks are in there. I’ve contacted Clayton Webb and let him know you were on your way to investigate this. However, I do want to remind you, she is still undercover. I’m letting you go because I know how much you care about her, but Harm you have to stay objective. Find out whose doing this but keep her cover in tact. I can’t give you the specifics of what I know, but trust me, it’s important. You’ll leave immediately for the Nimitz. See Tiner on your way out. Dismissed."

Through the whole exchange, Harm had remained silent. Fear had paralyzed him. Standing, he left the office, only stopping to see Tiner. This morning he had known something was wrong. He had once mentioned to Mac that he always knew where she was. He hadn’t been lying. She was like a part of his soul, she was always with him. He could feel her, even when they weren’t together. He had been worried before, with good reason. Now he knew where she was and he was determined to get to Mac. He had to get to her. She needed him.

Stopping off at his office to grab his cover, Harm then made his way to the elevator, not even stopping to acknowledge the personnel he passed along the way. After exiting the building, he headed for his SUV, getting in and slamming the door behind him. Only then did he give into to his anger.

"God Dammit! Why her? Why did it have to happen to her," he raged, pounding the steering wheel savagely. Soon anger faded into desperation. "Hold on, Marine. Just hold on, I’m coming." Swiping his hand across his face, Harm pulled out of the parking lot and headed home.

Stopping off at his apartment, Harm set about packing his carry-on. His actions were automatic, tossing in items with the determination of a man on a mission. And, on a mission he was. He had to get to his Marine. Speaking of missions, he needed to call Webb. Making a mental note to himself, he grabbed his cell phone and stuffed it into his pocket. He’d call on the way to the airport.

With his bag packed, Harm took one more look around the apartment, making sure he had everything. That’s when he spotted the photo on his night stand. ‘Can’t believe I almost forgot it,’ Harm thought to himself, while striding across the room. Picking the photo up, he ran his fingers across the surface. ‘God, she is so beautiful.’Opening his bag, he wrapped the picture in a tee-shirt and placed it in the bag. That accomplished, he was ready, and almost out the door when the phone rang. He had almost decided to let the answering machine get it, but the voice in the back of his head convinced him he needed to take this call.

"Rabb."

"Rabb, don’t talk, just listen."

"Webb, I don’t have time. I have a plane to catch. I’ll call on the..."

"Meet me downstairs." With that, the connection was broken.

Harm took the stairs two at a time, and when he emerged from the building, he saw Clayton Webb leaning against his black Porsche. Harm pushed past him on his way to the SUV, throwing over his shoulder, "If you want to talk, Webb, you had better hop in and come with. I have to get to Mac."

"Harm, get in my car. I’ll drive you to the airport and we can talk on the way."

"No way, Webb. I don’t trust you as far as I can throw you. I’ll drive."

"I am truly hurt, Rabb," Clay retorted, while smiling and entering on the passenger side of the SUV.

They had been driving for a while now, weaving their way through the traffic in silence. Looking out the window at the passing cars, Clay was the first to break it.

"I know this isn’t going to mean much, but I am sorry, Harm. I never would have wanted anything to happen to Mac. This assignment was supposed to be pretty cut and dry, nothing she hasn’t been able to handle before."

"Wait a minute. What are you saying? Are you saying that Mac...?"

"Harm, that’s something you’re going to have to discuss with her, if she wants to tell you, that is."

"I think it’s about time you start talking, Clay. I want to know everything about this investigation. The more information I have, the sooner I can help Mac and get her the hell out of there."

Grudgingly, Clay launched into the details. "Intel received word that a rebel group was planning to assassinate a U.S. official on a visit to the Nimitz. We knew when, we just didn’t know how they would pull it off on a U.S. ship."

"There’s a traitor on board."

"Yes, there is. So, we sent in an operative to find the traitor. We sent Mac early to weed him out, before this official made their appearance."

"What aren’t you telling me, Webb?"

Webb, squirmed in his seat, not wanting to reveal the last piece of the puzzle.

"God Dammit, Webb! Spill it!"

"It’s Bobbi, Harm."

"Oh, God."

"Yeah."

"Why Mac?"

"Well, that’s the interesting part. Bobbi asked for her specifically."

"Why the hell would she do that? They can’t stand each other."

"Really? Why do you suppose that is?" Clay knew the answer to the question, but couldn’t help throwing in the verbal jab.

"Cute, Webb. When is Bobbi scheduled to arrive on the Nimitz, and why is she going?"

"Bobbi’s ongoing investigation into the OSPREY is taking her to the carrier. She’s still trying to prove it’s unsound. She’ll be arriving on the 26th of September." Clayton Webb paused again before continuing, "Harm I know you want to help Mac, but she is still undercover. You have to treat her like a victim, and let her continue to do her job. Bobbi is still in danger. And believe me when I say, I never meant for any of this to happen."

"You never do, Clay. That’s what scares the hell out of me. But, I know how important this is, and I have no intention of letting anything happen to either of them. My main concern, however, is getting to Mac so she won’t be alone anymore."

"Mac isn’t alone. Doc is with her."

"Who the hell is Doc?"

"He one of ours. Good agent."

"Yeah well if he’s that great, why wasn’t he looking out for her?"

"Harm, he can’t be with her all of the time. And from what I can tell, no one saw this coming."

"You had better be right, Webb, because if I find out that you all knew she was in trouble..."

"Like I said, Harm, I know the drill. At least now she’ll have you watching her... ‘six’ for her. Lucky bastard," Clay replied, tongue in cheek.

"That’s it, Clayton. Just give me another reason to kick your ass."

"Hey, I get it, don’t worry. I know she’s yours."

"You better believe it," Harm said firmly, effectively ending all conversation.

U.S.S. NIMITZ

INDIAN OCEAN

SEPTEMBER 22, 2001 01:43

The knocking on her door barely registered through Mac’s drug induced sleep. The banging, however, finally got through. Trying to sit up, the world tipped violently, causing Mac to fall back against her pillow. ‘Okay, I’m fine. I can do this. Do it all the time. Getting out of bed. No problem.’ Ever so slowly, Mac made it into a sitting position. Then, grabbing the desk for support, was able to stand and slowly inch her way toward the door. Laying in the same position all day had left her stiff and sore. Now, all of her muscles were screaming in protest.

"Who is it?"

"Lieutenant Harmon, it’s Doc. Please, open up."

Relieved, Mac opened the door. What she found on the other side of the door, however, had her in complete shock. Her gaze fell, not on Doc, but on the tall, dark, and handsome JAG lawyer standing beside him. Tears welled up in her eyes as she fought to control her emotions. Her first instinct was to run right into his arms, but Lt. Patricia Harmon wouldn’t do that. She had to maintain her cover. But God, she had never been more happy to see anyone in her entire life.

Harm was having some trouble of his own. He’d seen the photos of her, after the incident, in the official report. They were bad enough, but nothing could have prepared him for this. Up close, the injuries were magnified.

When she had opened the door, his first instinct had been to take her into his arms and hold her; take her pain away. But, for the sake of her cover, he’d have to keep his emotions in check. That is, at least in public. He had every intention of comforting her once they were alone.

"Umm, Lt. Harmon. I’m Commander Rabb. I’ve been assigned to handle the investigation into your assault. I know it’s late, but I need to ask you a few questions. If you’re up to it, of course."

"Yes. Please, enter."

Harm entered the small room, followed closely by Doc, who turned to shut the door behind them. Upon turning around, he saw the two officers staring intently at each other. In that brief moment, Doc saw what everyone else immediately saw when they looked at this couple; love. There was no mistaking it. Feeling like he was intruding, Doc cleared his throat, before speaking. "Well, I know you two have a lot to talk about. I’ll just get going and leave you alone." Silence. "Alright then. Holler if you need me, Marine. Commander."

"Thanks, Doc," Mac’s voice was barely above a whisper, her eyes never leaving her partner.

Nodding, Doc exited the cabin, closing the door behind him. Neither noticed, both were too wrapped up in their feelings for each other. Finally, the barriers came crashing down around them. Harm grabbed Mac, enfolding her in his strong embrace. "Oh God, Mac."

"Harm, I’m so glad you’re here. I’ve never been so scared."

"Shhh. It’s alright now, Mac." Taking her face gently between his hands, he raised it until their eyes locked. "I’m here now, and I won’t let anything else happen to you. I promise you that, Sarah." The ferocity of his statement, left no room for doubt.

Taking his face between her hands, Mac, with the same ferocity, sealed his promise. "And you always keep your promises."

"Yes, I do," he whispered, even as his lips met hers. He was trying to be gentle, to hold at bay the raging desire that he felt for her, had always felt for her. But she was hurting, emotionally and physically, and he had no desire to hurt her any further by taking advantage of the situation. Pulling away, he rested his forehead against hers, trying to regain his composure.

"I’m sorry, Mac." He rasped out between ragged breaths.

"Oh, Harm. What for?"

"I didn’t mean to..."

Smiling weakly, she asked, "Didn’t mean to what? Kiss me?"

"Well, I wanted to kiss you, but I didn’t want to hurt you. Your lips..." the last spoken as his fingers gently traced her bruised and swollen lips.

"Hey, sailor. It’s alright. You didn’t hurt me and now I feel much better knowing that you’re here. Besides, didn’t your mom ever kiss your boo boo’s to make them feel better."

Flashing that "flyboy" smile, he countered, "Why, yes she did."

"See? You were just trying to make me feel better."

"Did it work?"

"Like a charm."

Bringing her head to rest on his chest, he wrapped his arms tighter around her. "Good, because all I could think about was getting to you and taking care of you. God, Mac, I don’t know what I would have done..."

"Hey! That’s enough of that, Harmon Rabb. I’m fine, a little banged up, but fine. And now, I have the best medicine in the whole world, right here in this room."

"Oh, really? What are you on?" He couldn’t help teasing her.

"Very funny, squid."

"So, exactly what is this magic medicine, Marine?"

"You," the word escaped as a whisper.

"You most certainly have me, Mac."

"Good, because you are one drug I plan to become very addicted to."

"Look out I can feel my ‘flyboy’ ego inflating as we speak."

"I guess I had better quit while we’re still safe."

"Ha ha, Marine. Very funny. You’re a riot."

"That’s me. A laugh a minute," Mac countered. "Hey, squid, why don’t we move this party to the bed?"

At his quirked eyebrow, she let out a giggle. "You wish, Rabb. You’re not going to score. It’s the only place we can both sit and be comfortable. We need to go over everything, and I’m starting to get tired. So, move it or loose it!"

"Yes, Ma’am."

Taking his uniform jacket off, he tossed it over the back of the chair, while loosening his tie. Then, helping Mac over to her bed, he made sure she was comfortable before sitting down beside her. His arm went around her, and she immediately snuggled closer to his warm body. ‘I could die a happy woman, right now,’ Mac couldn’t help thinking to herself. Well, actually, there were a few other things she wanted to do with this man before she died, but they would definitely have to wait for now. Right now, she was totally content to stay in his arms...

"What’s the sigh for?"

"Just content, that’s all."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. I am content right now. In your arms I feel safe, protected."

"You really feel that way? Just from being in my arms?"

Looking deep into those his beautiful blue eyes, she gave her answer. "Yes, Harm. But, only with you."

They spent the better part of the next hour pouring over the details of her assignment and the assault. Throughout the whole exchange, Harm had continued to hold her, willing to do what ever he could to make the confessional easier on her. She told him about Mark Gardner and Leslie, and about her suspicions that there was something that was just not adding up. She knew for sure that he had had something to do with Leslie’s attack, but was still unsure how it fit in with Bobbi Latham and the OSPREY.

"I don’t know, Mac. But, you’re right. It’s too much of a coincidence that something like this would happen this close to Bobbi’s scheduled visit. Do you have his service record?"

"Yeah. I’ve read it and re-read it about ten times. He’s an exemplary Marine. He has several commendations and is due for another promotion soon. It’s in his personal life that he’s a pig." Harm looked at Mac through his lashes, giving her his best scowl. "Okay, Harm, I know that was really uncalled for. And, as far as moral judgements go, I’m the last person who should be giving their two cents when it comes to infidelity. But, after interviewing him, he’s guilty as hell. At least where beating Les is concerned. God, you should have seen the fear in his eyes."

Looking up at Harm, Mac noticed it wasn’t fear that lit the fire in his eyes, it was rage. Pure, steely, rage. "Harm?"

"What if it was him, Mac? What if he was the one that did this to you?"

"I don’t think so, Harm."

"Why? Why couldn’t he be responsible?"

"Well, I guess he could be. But, I don’t really think so. Gardner barely knows me. Besides, after the notes the guy kept leaving..."

"What notes?"

"Oh, God." She’d said too much. She had purposely left out the part about the stalking, and the previous incident in her cabin, when talking earlier. She hadn’t wanted him to know all of it. Especially, since she had not told anyone and neither had Doc. ‘Great. Just Great. Way to go, Marine.’

"Mac, are you saying...you knew someone was after you? Before this happened, you knew somebody was..."

"Stalking me," Mac finished the sentence for him. Sighing, Mac proceeded to spill her guts. "Yes, Harm, I knew. But..."

Bolting off of the bed, Harm paced the cabin like a caged animal. "Son of a bitch."

"Harm, calm down."

"He knew, didn’t he? Webb, knew. I’m going to fucking kill him."

"Harm, wait. Webb didn’t know. I wouldn’t let Doc report it. I thought it would be better if I handled it on my own."

"Doc knew?" Harm practically shouted. "Okay, now he’s a dead man."

Coming up off of the bed, as fast as her aching muscles would allow, Mac went to him and tried to calm him. "Listen, Harm. I’m sorry, but it’s my fault. Doc wanted me to report it as soon as it happened the first time, but I wouldn’t let him."

"The first time!"

Shit! Again she had said too much. "Look, I was in my cabin, asleep, and heard the door slam. I woke up, and nothing was out of place, but the door was unlocked. That, and the fact that I was naked, and I hadn’t went to sleep like that."

"Mac? Did he..?"

"No, he didn’t, Harm. I had Doc check me out and I was fine. It could have all been in my imagination." Mac claimed, but not sounding at all convinced. "I was having a very...vivid dream and maybe I removed the clothes myself."

A brief flicker crossed Harm’s features. "Vivid dream, huh?"

"Yes, and I’m leaving it at that." But her blush said it all. "Anyway, I told Doc to keep it to himself until we knew for sure that it was related to Les’s attack or my investigation. Which I still don’t know."

"You said he’s left notes?"

"Yes and some...pictures."

"What kind of pictures?"

"Of me. On my phone, in the office, eating dinner, that kind of thing."

"There’s something else isn’t there?"

Again, letting out a deep breath, she continued. "They started popping up everywhere. On my desk in the office, in my mail, and...here in my room."

"That’s it! I want you out of here, Mac. Now!"

"Harm, listen to me. I know you’re worried. I am too. But, this thing is almost over. And, I still have work to do. I have to figure this thing out and make sure nothing happens to Bobbi, and that the person responsible ends up in Levenworth. I needed to finish this. For me. To prove to myself that I am still capable of getting the job done. That’s why I told Doc to keep it a secret. I never meant for you to find out about any of this. That’s why I asked Clay for the phone. I didn’t want you to worry about me. I wanted you to know that I was alright. Unfortunately, I didn’t expect him to take it this far. I really didn’t see this coming."

"You should have, Mac. Why would you think he’d stop? If it is or isn’t Mark Gardner, either way, this man is dangerous. He was getting bolder and bolder. You should have at least..."

"I know, Harm. I know. But, I thought I could handle it."

"Damn it, Mac. You needed help! Why can’t you ever just ask for it? You are not Wonder Woman. You’re the woman I lo...care very much about. God, I could have lost you!"

"But you didn’t, Harm. And, now that you’re here, we can do this together. I have my partner to help me, and I plan on letting him. If he agrees to it, that is."

"Oh, Mac," Harm sighed, taking Mac once again into his arms. "Yes, you have me. I’m still madder than hell at you, and Doc, but I’ll get over it. We’ll get him, whoever he is, together. But, no more holding out, you hear me? When either of us comes up with something, about either case, we tell. No saving the world on our own, understood?"

"As long as you take your own advice, squid, you’ve got a deal."

"Who? Me? When have I ever..."

"Oh, God! I can not believe you’re playing innocent with me."

"I am innocent. I would never..."

"Ok, that’s it. I need to get away from you before the lightning strikes."

Harm feigned wounded. "You cut me, madame. But, alas, I shall adhere to your request."

Rolling her eyes at him, Mac answered. "Yeah, well just make sure that you do. I don’t want to have to save your ‘six’ again."

"Me? It was your ‘six’ in the fire this time ‘Lt. Harmon’. Nice name by the way. Did you pick that out?" He asked with his smirk firmly in place.

"No, ‘flyboy’. Clay set it up for me. Said he thought it would be easier for me to remember. And, that he thought it would make me feel closer to you while I was gone."

"And, has it?"

"Thoughts of you were the only thing keeping me sane these past two months."

"I’ve missed you, Mac."

"I’ve missed you, Harm. So much."

His head drifted towards hers, his lips barely brushing against her lips. The shock waves that washed over their bodies, at just that slight touch, was enough to tide them over for now. "I should really get going, Mac."

"Yeah, you should."

"I wish I didn’t have to. I wish I could lay next to you, and wrap you in my arms, while you sleep."

A little breathless, Mac replied, "I wish you could too. But, it’s impossible. Soon, though. Hopefully, very soon."

Placing another gentle kiss on her bruised lips, Harm reluctantly pulled away. Fussing over his appearance, Harm straightened his tie and shrugged into his jacket. Mac watched, mesmerized by the beautiful man in front of her. She had ached for him and now he was here. She mentally added another miracle to the growing list in her life.

Turning to look at her one last time, he caught her staring. Their eyes met and there was no need for words. It was a moment in time of complete understanding.

Harm backed towards the door, knowing full well that if he didn’t leave now, he never would.

"Good night, Mac."

"Good night, Harm."

"If you need me, for anything, I’m right across the corridor. Two doors down on the left."

"How in the hell did you manage that?"

"Hey you’re not the only one with connections." With a wink, he left the cabin, closing the hatch behind him.

The figure lurked.

‘So, the stakes have raised, huh? They sent the JAG lawyer to find me. Well, we’ll just have to see about that.’ he thought. Laughing to himself, he couldn’t help but think about her alone in her cabin. She thinks she’s safe. She thinks with him here, that she’s untouchable. You’ll soon see, ‘Miss Harmon’. It’s only just begun...

2/3

 


© once upon a rose garden 2003
Disclaimer: JAG and its characters are the property of Paramount Pictures, Viacom, CBS, Belisarius Productions, and Donald P. Bellisario. This site is not intended to violate any copyrights they have and is not intended for profit in any way, shape or form. It is meant to be a respectful tribute to the show and its characters and actors.
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1