|Newport, Shropshire (Salop), 1863
(Page 1 of 3)
|By 1863, Newport has its Canal and its Railway Station. (Both situated on the 'Shropshire Union'.) The Rev. William Sandford, M.A., of Clare College Cambridge, is still the incumbent at St. Nicholas' Church, as in 1844. Population of the township has risen to 3,051 (1861), and along with the previously described high steward, deputy steward, and two bailiffs, the burgesses have risen in number from twenty-five to twenty-eight! Together, they are now referred to as the town's 'government'. Petty Sessions are held once a fortnight in the Town-Hall, where also, the County Court is held, every two months. The County Court District comprises the following places:-
Adney, Adbaston, Aqualate, Aston, Apeton, Audmore, Batchacre, Beffcote, Bishop's Offley, Blymhill Lawn, Brockton, Bromstead, Bromstead heath, Buttery, Caynton, Cherrington, Cheswell, Chetwynd, Chetwynd End, Chetwynd Grange, Chetwynd Aston, Chetwynd Heath, Church Aston, Cockmore Heath, Coton, Coton End, Cowley, Day House, Doley, Doley Common, Donington, Donington Wood, Edgmond, Edgmond Marsh, Ellerton, Fern Hill, Flashbrook, Forton, Gnosall, Gosemore Heath, Great Chatwell, High Offley, Hill Hall, Honnington, Hopshort, Howle, Howle Green, Incline, King Street Grange, Knightley, Knighton, Lilleshall, Lilleshall Abbey, Littlehales, Lodge Furnaces, Longford, Leawood Pits, Loynton, Lubstree Park, Lynn, Meertown, Moore End, Moreton, Muxton, Muxton Bridge, New Inn Bank, Newtown, Norbury, Norbury Manor, Norbury Park, Old Lea, Oulton, Outlands, Outwoods, Parsons' Barn, Pave Lane, Pickstock, Pilson, Pitchcroft Lane, Pixley, Plardiwick, Radmore Lane, Sambrook, Shebdon, Sheep Pasture, Shelmore, Showell Grange, Slippy Lane, Stockton, Sutton, The Camp, The Guild, The Hincks, The Hollies, The Rookery, Tibberton, Trench, Trench Lane, Tunstall, Vauxhall, Walton Grange, Warton, Waxhill Barracks, Weston Jones, Wilbrighton, Winford Mill, Woodcote, Woodseavers, and Yeanny Lane.
[If any ancestors were Sentenced/Transported 'from Newport', they could in fact be from any of the above places, some of which are in Shropshire, but others are in Staffordshire. See below among the 'Union' Parishes, for example.]
Newport Union (for the Workhouse) consisted of the following parishes:-
Adbaston (Stafford), Cherrington, Chetwynd, Chetwynd Aston, Church Aston, Edgmond, Forton (Stafford), Gnosall (Stafford), High Offley (Stafford), Lilleshall, Longford, Newport, Norbury (Stafford), Tibberton, Weston Jones (Stafford), and Woodcote.
The guardians for the poor (upholding/applying the poor-law) 'meet fortnightly at the Boardroom, High Street. The Union House was built in 1855, on land purchased from the Marsh trustees.'
The Free Grammar School, (founded in 1657 by William Adams), was eligible to 'boys resident in Newport or Chetwynd End' and 'next, those resident within a radius of 3 miles, on payment of the original entrance fee of 2s. 6d. ; the school is endowed with several exhibitions of £60 per annum, for pupils born in the county, and with others of about £23 annual value, which are open to all boys who have attended the school for three years previously ; the two however, are frequently held together ; these endowments offer great advantages to parents generally throughout the county ; the government of the charity, which produces nearly £1,400 per annum, is vested in the master and wardens of the Haberdashers' Company, London, [William Adams was a local man 'made good' as an Haberdasher in London] and a number of local visitors, six of whom are always to be beneficed clergymen.'
The English school, 'is an ancient foundation, endowed by various benefactors, for the instruction of the children of the poorer classes ; the income is £50 per annum ; the school room, a neat brick building, was erected in 1843. The Infant school is a plain brick building, on the Wellington Road, erected in 1841. The National school for girls was erected in 1842. A mechanics' institute was established October 1st., 1851 ; it is well supported, and supplied with a good stock of London and provincial newspapers and periodicals, and a good library.'
Woodware, wood turnery, and the manufacture of agricultural implements are local industries.
Markets are held on Saturdays, for corn, provisions &c.; and on alternate Tuesdays for livestock, in a spacious cattle market situated at the back of the Town-Hall. Fairs are held on May 28th, and on the fortnightly market-days nearest to the Sunday before Palm-Sunday, July 27th, September 25th, and December 10th, for live-stock.
The 'Newport Advertiser and North Shropshire Herald' is published every Saturday morning ; it was established in 1854 ; the circulation is about 3,000 weekly ; price (stamped), 2d.
[See the 'historie' of one Henry Price Silvester, from 1822, when he was already Post-Master, Bookseller, Printer, Stationer, Binder, and Commissioner for taking special bail, and Manufacturer of the Composition Roller for Inking Metal Types.]
In Workhouse-Lane are Almshouses for four poor women, rebuilt by subscription in 1836. [The Almshouses originally erected in 1446 by William Glover 'of this town'? -see 'Newport 1844']
On each side of the entrance to the Grammar School are Almshouses for two aged single men and women, built and endowed by Mr. William Adams.
Newport Marsh, comprising 110 acres, and producing about £300 per annum, is vested in a corporation, called the Newport Marsh and Town Trustees, and under Act 17 & 18 Vic., cap.81, the proceeds are applied to repairing the Town-Hall and Market-cross, paving and lighting the streets, and the general improvement of the town.
The town is lighted with gas, and has abundance of pure water. The main, or High Street, is paved, and is of considerable width ; the footpaths are neatly flagged, on each side of which are some handsom well-stocked shops. The new Town-Hall, a noble building, erected in 1860, has spacious rooms for public meetings and lectures ; the front is adorned with an illuminating clock, and under are the 'Three Fishes,' the arms of Newport. A neat cemetary, east of the town, was erected in 1858. The Duke of Sutherland is lord of the manor.
Parish Clerk, John James.