Leeds Menu
Leeds

Bahamas Menu
Nassau

Kuwait Menu
Kuwait

How to Find an Overseas Teaching Job

First of all, STOP, are you SURE you want to do this? A change of scene may be good for some people, but are you CERTAIN that you could cope with the upheaval and the culture shock? If you have a spouse or a family, what do THEY think? You aren't just trying to run away from an unpleasant situation at home, or trying to find some way to bolster a flagging ego, are you?

In case you wonder why I start off by asking these questions. Consider this: The administrators of any school overseas will want to ensure that they are not taking on someone who is going to be a liability. They will also want to select only the best people available, and the competition can be tough. If you haven't settled in your mind what your motivation for wanting to teach overseas is, what impression will you give to your interviewer? Also, what will you tell yourself and your family as the stress of adapting to a new environment starts to show? It's far better to be sure of your answers now......

Next Section

What do I need?

For a start, almost all institutions insist on a degree, a teaching qualification and at least two years teaching experience. There are exceptions, Some voluntary organisations (like VSO) will accept graduates without experience for specific shortage subject areas. There is the possibility of an internship for exceptional students in their "gap" year (contact Search Associates for details). But, if you haven't got the qualifications or the experience, you will find the majority of routes into a career as an international educator are closed to you.

A TEFL/TESOL certificate may be a useful additional qualification, but it is not a substitute for a recognised teaching qualification.

Some institutions will only be interested in people who have at least a master's degree and previous experience of teaching in an international school.

You also need plenty of energy, enthusiasm, imagination and perseverence. Of course, you already possess these in copious amounts because you're a teacher! :-)

Most importantly, you also need a robust sense of humour!

What these pages are all about

Three years ago, we decided that it was time to look for an overseas teaching post. Two years later, (after a large number of letters, faxes and emails to a variety of organisations) we ended up teaching at the first school I had applied to at the start of the process (God has a sense of humour!).

During those two years of searching I learned that there are a wide variety of routes into the world of international education. On the following pages I hope to eventually put together a comprehensive guide for people seeking to become an international educator. Hopefully you will find something of use to you.

Of course, I do not guarantee that any of this advice will help you get a teaching post overseas. I am also not responsible if, after you accept a job, everything goes horribly wrong for you. Do not email me to ask my advice on a particular school or job opportunity. That's one of the things that you pay recruitment agencies for. However, feel free to email me at [email protected] with any further suggestions to improve these pages.

LinkExchange

LinkExchange Member

Free Home Pages at GeoCities

This page hosted by Geocities Get your own Free Home Page

Guestbook

Feel free to sign or view my Guestbook

Email

You may email me at [email protected]
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws