Notes:
Yay! Yami/Yugi bonding in this chapter. The Game King finally arrives at Hogwarts (within 4 chapters isn't bad, relatively speaking, right? Right?). Mundy decides to do some legwork and-

**Liz is walking along obliviously until -THWOOSH!- she vanishes from sight**

Yugi: **peeks down into the Plot Hole** Hmm... we might never see her again.



History of Magic
By Lizeth Hallington
ww w. geoc ities.c om/lizeth_hal (take out the spaces)



Chapter 4: Comings and Goings

There were only so many things a man could handle at once before reaching his wit's end and Jon Brooke was, at that moment, infinitely glad that he had hired help.

Fixing the Flourish & Blotts itself had not been hard... he was a wizard, after all. Fixing the books, however proved to be a bit more problematic. Turns out a "reparo" didn't work very well when the broken object in question consisted of only so much confetti... Confetti that came from hundreds of different books, no less.

Needless to say, Jon was not pleased when his first "reparo" attempt produced a book that read something like: "The MoM leapt N.E.W.T.s eggs at priCKly toadS".

Yugi, the most recent addition to his hired-help arsenal, had given him overly-enthusiastic praise on the fact that he'd managed to put together something legible at all (meanwhile making funny little strangled noises that sounded suspiciously like suppressed laughter).

He glanced down at the book in hand. "Creaming crab bites weRE essential TO moblin reVolts."

Oh yeah... Jon snorted. I can just picture the poor profs at Hogwarts trying to teach out of these texts.

So, he'd ended up having to order an entirely new batch of books from his suppliers. The children who had yet to buy their books were told to order by owl, and their books would be handed out in classes on the first day of school... which brought him back to present time: with only two more days until the start of school, he was still trying to sort through the mess that was his new stock and get everything shelved or packed and labeled for shipment.

With a flick of his wand, he sent a stack of stone-back books flying to the "Golem" section and was rewarded with a startled yelp. Thank goodness he didn't have to deal with Monster Books anymore, they-

...Wait...

...Startled yelp?

Glancing back to the shelves, he recognized the multi-colored form of Yugi Mouto, wide-eyed and clutching his spiky tresses protectively as he walked out from between shelves.

"Jon!" the Japanese man complained skittishly. "Do you know how disorienting is it to have boulder-sized books flying at you at liberal speeds?"

Jon eyes crinkled slightly at the corners as he watched his young employee. "Eh, sorry 'bout that, lad. I didn't see you there."

Yugi glared half-heartedly in response, looking very disgruntled. "Easy for you to say... and in the meantime I might have gotten a free trim courtesy of Paper-cut Hair Styles."

Jon merely chuckled quietly in response and dumped a stack of books in Yugi's arms. He knew the lad bore no true grudge against him. Yugi was very hard to anger, or even truly annoy. "You can help me take these to the basement. That way you'll be out of the line of fire, Lightning-"

All at once, Yugi stiffened and then seemed to curl in on himself. Jon paused in mid-ramble before he realized his mistake and cursed himself. "Yugi, I'm sorry, I didn't think-"

With the barest intake of breath, the Japanese man straightened and smiled, shrugging as he recovered remarkably quickly. In Jon's eyes... too quickly to be real.

"No, it's nothing. Forget it, you didn't do anything wrong." Inwardly, Yugi was berating himself. Get a grip, Mouto! You shouldn't let a nickname affect you like that! It's only...

"Yugi?" Jon queried, frowning.

"Yeah?"

Lightning...

Out of all the people that had called him that, Simon was the one who encouraged it the most. Simon was the one to call him that last... right before he died. The hikari shook himself.

"I'll get these shelved," Yugi said out loud as he hefted the books, stopping only to pick up a Quick-lite lantern before shuffling down the stairs and trying to ignore the worried glance he felt on his back. Stupid, stupid, stupid...! he sighed quietly to himself. You don't need to give Jon something else to worry about.

Jon, Yugi knew, had been facing his own guilt over the fact that he hadn't been there the night the Flourish had been attacked. Since then, he'd become almost fanatically protective of his employees.

Balancing the books in one arm, Yugi felt something shift in the back of his mind and suppressed a wince.

//Aibou,// Yami asked softly, woken by his partner's turbulent emotions. //Are you alright?//

/Aa... Sorry, did I wake you? I didn't mean to./ He sounded contrite.

//It's fine. What's wrong?// Yami placated, his rumbling voice soothing. Yugi could almost see his other straightening attentively in his soul room.

/Nothing./

//Yugi, you're-//

/Nothing's wrong!/ he insisted, a bit too forcefully.

//Aibou...// Yami's mind-voice had an undertone of warning. Then there was a pause before Yugi's world blanked for the barest fraction of an instant.

Abruptly, Yugi blinked as he found himself in the comfort of his soul room. This was his innermost sanctuary, his retreat. Everything in this room was his in every essence and in essence the room was him. The walls were pale gold and seemed to glow slightly in response to his presence, encouraging him to relax. "Wha?" I didn't-

There was a soft, but firm knock on the door and a moment later, Yami was peeking his head through the door. "Aibou?" he called, eyes fixed firmly on his hikari as he hovered in the doorway. "May I enter?"

Yugi couldn't help but smile a bit wryly. It was strange that Yami still felt the need to ask for permission even after all this time, when his soul room belonged almost as much to his other as it did him. Still, it was good to know that his yami valued his feelings highly enough to give him the chance to object.

"S'pose so. You're already halfway in, anyway."

Without another word, the Egyptian spirit entered the room, leaving the door slightly ajar. Picking his way around the toys on the floor, he sat himself down on the bed and leaned back on his hands... meaning his head would be lower than Yugi's as long as the hikari was standing. It was a stubble power play, but one that Yugi didn't fail to pick up on. His yami, despite his concern over his other's well-being, would not force any answers.

It made Yugi feel childish.

"Gomen ne..." Yugi apologized, staring at the floor.

"Nande?"

"For snapping at you," Yugi sighed and sat on the bed beside his other. "I just..." he twiddled his thumbs. "Jon called me 'Lightning'. It shouldn't be a big deal but.. Simon was the one who started that and... I guess I kept thinking... he's not around to do it anymore." He twisted the sheets of the bed. "I should be over this... I thought I was."

Yami's crimson eyes softened in a way few people ever got to see. "It's only been a couple of weeks, Aibou, give it time. Simon was a good friend, though you only knew him for a short time. You're the type of person that gives everything freely, without holding back, and because of that it really doesn't matter whether you knew him for a day, a month or a year. A friend is a friend is a friend. His death hurts. It's understandable."

"But I just... reacted... and just to a nickname..."

Yami smiled fondly. "In all honesty, if you didn't react at all, I would be worried. That wouldn't be the Yugi I know." He frowned then slightly. "I'm sorry I haven't given you more time to grieve."

"Iie!" Yugi exclaimed, appalled. "That's not your fault at all!" Yugi blinked at his yami and then looked at him. "Simon's death is affecting you just as much, isn't it?"

The spirit heaved a metaphysical breath. "Simon was my first friend."

"Iie..." Yugi protested.

"Hai. Think about it Aibou. Jou, Honda and Anzu... they became friends with you and later because I was part of you, their trust extended to me as well. Simon..." his and brushed absently at the golden streaks of his hair. "It was me, first..." he trailed off and then, suddenly realizing what he was saying, he straightened as if to stand. "Gomen, Aibou, I didn't mean to imply..."

"Iya-da," Yugi said, grabbing his other by the sleeve before he was ever truly standing. Perplexedly, Yugi stared at his yami, turning an idea over in his mind until suddenly he smiled, causing Yami to stare back bewilderedly.

"What?" the spirit asked in confusion.

"It's funny y'know. I've always thought Jou and the others became my friends because of you. I mean, when I finished the Puzzle, I wished for friends and there they were, like magic."

"You faced Ushio and stood up for Jou and Honda before you finished the Puzzle..." Yami arched an eyebrow.

"But they didn't officially become my friends until after, and you were the one that saved Anzu when she was lured to that warehouse..."

"You were the one that went after her in the first place."

"I just ended up getting knocked out."

"She thought I was you at the time."

Silence fell as the two halves of a soul regarded each other, one an imperfect mirror of the other. Then, slowly, they started to grin.

"So, basically..." Yugi drawled, "Lemme get this straight... All this time I've been jealous 'cause I thought they liked you better and in the meantime you've been thinking that they like me better?" Yugi's eyebrows rose incredulously.

"That is what it seems like," Yami agreed dryly as he crossed his arms.

"...That's not very productive," Yugi commented flatly, smirking.

"About as productive as being jealous of oneself can get," Yami confirmed, smirking back.

Yugi's laughter resounded in the little room, a true, light-heated laugh that brought a warm smile to Yami's face. The hikari was still giggling as buried his face in the Egyptian's shoulder and Yami reached out to steady his partner reflexively.

"I'm sorry. That was stupid," Yugi conceded.

"Aa... I apologize as well."

Yugi raised his head and violet met crimson, twinkling merrily. "Ne... how many times have we apologized throughout the duration of this conversation?"

Yami shrugged carelessly. "A lot?"

His hikari snorted. "Too much. No more apologizing."

"As you wish," Yami agreed readily. He stood and stretched, arms raised behind his head. "Should I take over for a while?" the darker-half offered, staring at his other out of the corner of his eyes.

Yugi, in turn, looked vaguely annoyed. "I'm not made of glass, you know."

"Hai, hai, but you haven't been sleeping either," Yami countered disapprovingly.

Yugi blushed faintly, looking guilty.

Dead silence. Then, flatly:

"...Get your mind out of the gutter, Aibou."

"YAMI! That's not what I was thinking about!"



Meanwhile, elsewhere, someone was also having trouble focusing... although his thoughts were of a more... murderous nature.

"Dammit, the next time I see Malfoy and swear I'll..." the voice drifted off into inaudible mumblings. Inaudible, that is, unless you were part wolf.

"I didn't know you could do that with Deifenbachia..." Lupin commented as he fell into step beside Mundy.

"Amazing what you can you with household plants if you know how," Mundy said darkly. "Please tell me you have something for me."

"I thought you were off the case," Lupin chided lightly.

"I'm off the Ministry's case... or on it, depending on how you see it," Mundy remarked. "Either way, it's still my case. It's not like the Ministry's actually assigned anyone else to investigate anything," he said bitterly. "They've probably put the file on the eternal back-burner, never again to see the light of day, and I didn't even get the chance to interview the house-elf..."

Lupin nodded resignedly. The Ministry might try to keep things under wraps, but the Order would always be one step behind, fishing for early Christmas presents. It was so bloody convoluted and tiring. If they didn't have to work against the Ministry all the time, they could've made much more progress.

"What did you find?"

"Someone's been messing with apparation trails in Diagon Alley. At the time the attackers apparated out, a bunch of know-nothing grunts did the same. I got one trail that went as far as Ireland." Moody sighed exasperatedly. "Basically we've got a bunch of false leads and dead ends to get through."

"No word on who orchestrated it?"

"None. Just that it was someone with enough influence to offer hefty monetary compensation for their services."

"So it might well be our friend the (former) Minister of Justice?" Fletcher arched an eyebrow.

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"Ah the irony," Fletcher quipped. "And the lack of after-spells?"

"I couldn't get anything on that."

"You're shittin' me," Fletcher said flatly.

Lupin shook his head, frustrated at his own lack of success. "I'm not, sorry, but apparently the attackers were also using nitrogen pellets. I could smell it. Checked around and a batch was ordered anonymously about four months ago. They must've been planning this for a while."

"You're shittin' me!" Fletcher reiterated. "That's so... Muggle."

Lupin shook his head again, looking almost amused at the gawking expression on his old schoolmate's face, but the severity of the situation kept the amusement at bay. They weren't making nearly enough progress with this case, and that might well cost them in the future. "They're changing tactics, Mundy... I'm not even so sure it really was Death Eaters anymore."

Fletcher gave him a look. "Suppose we'll have to try something else then..."

"You'll have to try something else."

"Eh?"

"Albus wants me at Hogwarts. School starts in two days," the werewolf ran a hand through his hair, looking apologetic and nervous. He wasn't exactly sure what kind of reception he'd receive, considering the circumstances under which he left, but Albus had insisted that there was no one else willing to take the DADA job so...

Mundy regarded him with a bemused smile for a moment before slapping his old schoolmate hard on the shoulder, a falsely sympathetic expression plastered on his face.

"Thirty-four years old and back in school. I don't envy you at all, my friend," Mundy teased.

"...Shut it, Fletcher," Moony smiled, tiredly, but smiled none the less.

"Well, in the meantime..." Fletcher shot his old friend a grin as his eyes shone with something that made Moony arch an eyebrow warily. That look meant trouble. "...Can I borrow your dog?"



Two days later

Jon walked down to the basement, lantern raised high overhead. "Y'know, maybe I should be charging you rent instead of paying you wages..." he said wryly.

At the bottom of the steps, Yugi was holding a batch of scrolls, a colony of dust bunnies following faithfully at his heels. At the sound of Jon's voice, the young man stopped and shot the store owner a withering look.

The dust bunnies took this as a cue to start crawling all over Game King's polished black boots, smearing them with a fine layer of dust.

"Hey!" Yugi protested, laughing as he sidestepped. Undeterred, the bunnies promptly followed, crooning.

"I see you've got quite the fan club." Jon teased.

Yugi flushed and grumbled to himself, setting the scrolls down on a table. As Game King, he'd had more than his fair share of experience with fan clubs and fans... some of which were downright ridiculous. The dust bunnies weren't bad; they kinda reminded him of his Kuriboh. Human fans, however, tended to squeal... and shriek... and paw... and for all he knew, it could've been some ancient form of torture passed through generations ever since the status of "celebrity" had been created.

...Of course, Jon had no idea that Yugi held such a status among Muggles.

"I'll be sad to see you go, lad."

Yugi smiled, walking over and giving the man a hearty pat on the back. "It was good working with you, sir."

"Oh, it's 'sir' now, is it?" Jon arched an eyebrow.

The foreigner shrugged sheepishly. "I'd like to leave on good terms."

The storeowner smiled as he walked his young employee to the door. "Better to make it friendly terms, Yugi," the man said gruffly.

The hikari grinned. "Hai." He stuck out his hand, and Jon shook it firmly. "I'll come visit."

"You'd better," the old man threatened lightly, a slight tremor in his voice. "Take care of yourself, lad."

Yugi smiled fondly and nodded. "You too," and with one last sweeping look at the Flourish and Blotts, he turned away.

"Hey! Any chance you'll be telling me where you're off to now?" Jon asked hopefully. He still hadn't been able to figure out what Yugi's new job was.

The young man laughed cheerfully and walked away, shouldering his cloak. "I'll send you a postcard!"



It was around one o'clock in the afternoon when Yugi caught the late train to Hogwarts, and the train was pretty much empty except for him. So, deciding that discretion was the better part of valor, the young man propped up his feet and fell asleep, his yami keeping his senses open for any signs of danger.

The ride went surprisingly smoothly, and it was late in the evening when it finally stopped.

Yugi yawned as his stepped off the Hogwarts express, carting his bag. "Are we at Hogwarts yet?"

//Have you been paying attention to anything at all?//

/Nope, that's what I have you for.../

//...Gee, thanks.//

Yugi chuckled quietly to himself at his other's injured countenance and pulled up his hood. It was drizzling lightly.

Damned, muggy English weather...

Yami shook his head then narrowed his eyes. //Pay attention, aibou-!//

/Eh?/

"Not quite there yet, lad," a friendly voice boomed, startling Yugi out of his groggy state. Craning his head up, and up... and up, Yugi stared into the black-bearded face of a giant of a man. Compared to the average adult, he was very tall, compared to Yugi, he was absolutely humungous.

"WAH! Nani desu?!" Yugi yelped and jumped back a pace.

"Whoa!" Hagrid replied in kind, startled, then sheepish. "Easy there, lad. Didn't mean t'scare ya. 'Name's Hagrid! Keeper o' the Keys a' 'Ogwarts. "

Yugi shuffled his feet nervously and studied the other man intently. Yami was tense in his soul room, ready to merge with his partner should the man prove to be a threat. "Hontou-ni?" the violet-eyed man asked timidly.

"Eh?" Hagrid asked, a blank expression on his face.

//English, Yugi,// the ex-pharaoh chided lightly.

Yugi blushed faintly. "I mean, really?" He wasn't sensing anything malevolent from the man, but... he was so... tall. Seto was the tallest person he knew, and he was only 6 foot 6.

"Yep," the demi-giant confirmed cheerfully. "I teach Care o' Magical Creatures. Dumbledore 'ad me wait fer a man with red, yellow and black hair..." Hagrid eyed the wisps of hair peaking out from under the hood, "An' ye fit the bill!"

Yugi blinked. "Waiting? In the rain? You didn't have to do that!"

"What this?" Hagrid asked, waving a hand at the sky while the other was fixed firmly on a lantern. "This ain't anythin'!"

Tentatively, Yugi grinned and felt his yami relax. The ex-pharaoh trusted his hikari's judgment when in came to people's characters. More often than not, his instincts were right.

"Ah, well then, sorry to keep you waiting," Yugi said and bowed apologetically. When he raised his head again, he saw that the black-haired man was blushing faintly at being bowed to.

"Tain't a big thing..." Hagrid coughed gruffly. "Lemme carry yer bags for ye."

"Oh no!" Yugi laughed. "There's no need-"

"Now now, I insist," Hagrid replied. The bag looked very large and heavy in Yugi's small hands. "No trouble at t'all fer me, really."

"Err..." Yugi blinked as the bag was plucked from his hand.

"C'mon, then, lad. Better get goin' or ye'll miss the feast! Say, what was yer name again? Dumbledore didn't mention it..."

"Yugi Mouto," the young man replied.

The giant nodded. "Taught a'fore, 'ave ye?"

"Well, not really. I've given a couple of lectures now and then, but I've never taught full-time."

"Tha's alrigh'," Hagrid assured, "The children are good kids a' heart. Jus' watch out fer the Slytherins."

Yugi's eyes flecked slightly with crimson as Yami merged with his host. "The 'dark' house?"

Hagrid blinked. Funny, Yugi's voice seemed deeper all of a sudden. "Yeah."

"And is there no one else I should watch for besides Slytherins?" Yami asked, eyebrow arched. His posture had changed from relaxed to a near-arrogant strut.

Hagrid looked thoughtful. "Well, y'migh' want t'watch fer the Weasley twins. Real pranksters they be... And Peeves... he's the school's poltergeist."

Yami nodded. "Thanks fer the advice."

"No problem. Us profs gotta stick t'gether, righ'?"

Yugi giggled in his soul room and Yami sent him a perplexed look. //What's so funny, aibou?//

/You said 'fer' instead of 'for'.../

Yami blinked. //Oh.// His hikari laughed.

/Pay attention, aibou!/ Yugi imitated.

The ex-pharaoh rolled his eyes discretely.

"Here we be. Into the boat, lad!"

"Hmm..." Yami said, then he looked up.

Within his soul room, Yugi's eyes widened. /Su-Sugoi!/

A massive castle loomed on the other side of the lake, seemingly occupying the entirety of the opposite bank. A million windows were lit with golden light, twinkling like pinpoint stars. Even at a distance, Yugi could tell it was impossibly huge.

//Close your mouth, aibou,// Yami ordered in amusement, although his eyes lingered a bit on the massive structure as well.

/Shut up and let me gawk in peace./

The darker spirit chuckled softly, earning him a perplexed stare from the gamekeeper.

"So that's Hogwarts?" Yami asked, smiling as he stepped into the boat.

"Yep! No better place in England!" Hagrid boasted. "Watch your step now lad. And keep yer hands in the boat, y'hear? Last thing we need is..."

Sccrrrssshhhh....

Yami tuned the gamekeeper out as Yugi called to him. /Yami, do you hear that?/

//Hmm?// the spirit frowned, reaching out with his senses. Leaning forward slightly, he surveyed the surface of the water intently. He did sense it faintly... something like ripples brushing against his mind.

/Deeper.../ Yugi ordered quietly, and Yami delved his consciousness farther. /Feels almost like... a duel monster!/

There.

-Weelcoommee, Old Ooone...- a voice whispered softly, pulsing against the Game Kings' mind.

Instantly, Yami's mental barriers were up, protecting both his and Yugi's mind from attack. //Who's there?// he asked sharply.

-Meeee...- came the reply, tinged with amusement.

//That's not very helpful,// Yami snapped and frowned warningly.

/Shhh... Yami.../ Yugi pleaded and reached out tentatively towards the voice. /Where are you?/

-Dooown, deeeeep, waaaater...-

Yugi blinked. /You live in the lake?/

-Yesss... long time... aloonnee... watching...-

//Watching? Watching what?// the Egyptian asked, now intrigued.

-Chiiildren... Keep them... saaaaafe...-

//Ah...// Yami seemed to sigh in understanding and leaned back into the boat. //A Watcher-in-the-Water.//

The foreign consciousness stirred restlessly.

Yugi sent a wave of confusion and was met with calm reassurance. /Yami?/

//I think we've just met one of the castle's defenses, aibou.//

/Oh?/

Yami smirked slightly and turned his mind outward again. //Watcher! May we see you?//

Vaguely, Yami was also aware that Hagrid was calling him, but at the moment, his curiosity was piqued, and it would be satisfied. If his guess was right...

"Yugi, Yugi, what's the matter wiv ye, lad? Yugi? Yu-"

SPLASH!! SShhhhhh!

"Whoa!!"

Both Yami and Hagrid flayed for balance as the boat rocked wildly and water rained heavily on them. Hagrid was yelling, confused, but Yami merely kept his eyes on the water, gripping the edges of the boat tightly.

//Watcher?//

Out of the settling drizzle, a long, large tentacle rose into the air and swayed lazily. Then another. Then another.

The boat rocked again but this time, Yami kept his balance easily.

//You're big,// the ex-pharaoh commented dryly, a stark contrast to the water clinging to his skin.

-I would haaaaave to beee...- the Watcher replied in kind, broadcasting pride. Suddenly, the Watcher's countenance was eager like a child's, begging for praise.

/Very big,/ Yugi reiterated as he watched another tentacle rise out into the air.

"Whhoaaa there!" Hagrid was saying, and Yami tore his eyes off the tentacles to stare at his guide.

"Are you alright, Hagrid?"

"Aye, lad. Dun worry 'bout this 'un," Hagrid gasped as he got his feet under him. "I hafta apologise fer... I dun know wha' got inta the Squid today! It ain't normally like this, honest!"

"No, it's fine," Yami assured, making placating motions with his hands.

/Should be fine,/ Yugi quipped, /It's all your fault in the first place.../

-Sscccrrrrr....- said the Watcher and a tentacle flopped close to the boat.

Almost absently, Yami reached out and stroked the waving appendage, causing Hagrid to gawk openly.

"O-oh... er... I see..." the gamekeeper stuttered, "Righ' then..." he cleared his throat experimentally.

Yami turned away to hide a smirk and focused his attention back on the Squid. //You trust us,// Yami broadcasted, and it wasn't a question. //Why?//

-Because you aaare an Oooold One... Maassster of the old waaaayssss...-

//And if I had come to harm your castle? The children?//

-Haaaave you?-

Yami paused. //No.//

-Then I will truuusstt youuuu...-

Yugi watched the tentacles with an odd expression, feeling the rubbery skin underneath his hands. /It's lonely,/ he told his other self, careful not to let the Watcher overhear. /I can't imagine how long it's been here... watching under the water./

"How long has the Squid been here?" Yami asked, glancing back at the gamekeeper.

Hagrid was still clearing his throat. "Ah... no one really knows fer sure. Might well have been here since th'castle was built, I reck'n. I think it's here as long as th'castle's here."

/That's well into a thousand years!/ Yugi exclaimed, remembering what he'd read in Hogwarts, a History. Appalled, he sent a pulse of warm, sympathetic emotion outward.

The tentacles curled appreciatively.

Yami frowned thoughtfully, carefully sorting through the emotions his other was broadcasting, an idea forming in his mind. It was within his power... //Watcher, would you like to be free?//

-Freeeeee?- the Watcher called, bewilderedly. -What is freeee?-

"Oh, Watcher," Yugi whispered out loud, his shock overwhelming Yami's control.

//Free is...// Yami paused, gathering his thoughts, //Free is when your responsibilities are relieved.//

-Then...- the Watcher asked, perplexed, -Who will waaatcchhhh the ccchiiilldddreeeen?-

/...Watcher.../ Yugi choked. Was that really all that the Watcher knew? A silent life of watching, waiting and protecting? Never actually seeing his charges but twice a year, when the children came and left the school?

"Yugi, lad? Are ye alrigh'?" Hagrid asked and placed a hand on Yugi's small shoulders. He was really starting to worry about Hogwart's latest professor... maybe the stress was getting to him already?

"I'm fine, Hagrid," Yugi gave him a watery smile. Gone was the confident stature Hagrid had seen earlier. It was now replaced by a heavy... sorrow?

"Hey, now lad," the Hagrid said cheerfully, "Dun worry none, it's just a bit o'va rocky start s'all. Once we get ya in th'castle, things will go much smoother!"

Yugi looked up at the man who was honestly trying to make him feel better, despite his lack of understanding, and grinned slightly. "Right."

"Good. Chin up, lad. We're a bit off course, but we'll get ye dry soon enough!"

The Game King merely nodded and turned his attention back to the water, where the tentacles were slowly receding. Dropping a hand over the side the of the boat, Yugi felt a brush of rubber under the water.

/I'll come visit you, Watcher,/ the hikari promised wholeheartedly.

-That...- the Watcher seemed to smile in simple delight, -Would be... niiiicce...-

Yugi felt Yami's silent support, flowing steadily through their link and refocused his attention on the fast approaching castle. For the next ten months, Hogwarts would be his home, and he intended to make the best of it.



Inside...

Everyone fell into silence as McGonagall tapped her glass. At the center of the head table, Dumbledore stood and smiled benignly. "Welcome back students, and warm welcome to our first-years as well."

The hall erupted into cheers as the first years either basked or blushed at the attention. "First, thing's first," Dumbledore continued, nodding, "I'd like to reiterate, that there will be no magic in the halls between classes and that students are not to leave school grounds without permission." The headmaster arched an eyebrow. "'School grounds', does not include the Forbidden Forest, so please be aware that the forest is indeed forbidden."

This announcement was met with a chorus of "booos" from a pair of identical redheads at the Gryfindor table but that was quickly silenced with a sharp "Weasley! Weasley!" from Professor McGonagall.

Dunbledore looked at the twins warningly, but his eyes still retained their friendly sparkle.

"I'm sure you're spotting a number of familiar faces this year, and there's one in particular I'd like to bring to your attention. Let me re-introduce you to your DADA professor for this year, Professor Remus Lupin!" Dumbledore announced with a flourish.

The werewolf, looking slightly more respectable now that his clothes weren't so raggedy, stood tensely and nodded his head, a wan smile playing around his lips.

He didn't have to worry though, as the majority of the students cheered enthusiastically...except for the Slytherins, but that was to be expected considering the way Malfoy was glaring at everyone.

Harry turned his eyes back to the head table and smiled warmly as he caught Lupin's gaze. The old Marauder grinned back tentatively.

"Lupin looks like he's going to die of relief!" Ron observed as he clapped.

"He really was worried about the reception he'd receive," Hermione said, ever the voice of reason. "A lot of parents aren't going to be happy about this."

"Dumbledore will deal with them," Ron replied with a careless wave of his hand. Then he paused. "Right?"

"Hopefully," Harry nodded. "Hermione, what are you doing?"

The said Gryfindor prefect was bouncing restlessly on her seat and craning her head from one side to the other.

"I'm looking for the new history prof!" she frowned. "Usually the DADA prof is the last to get introduced... ("The only to get introduced" Ron snorted) ...and there's no one new at the head table!"

Harry blinked. "You... don't think the new prof is another ghost, do you?"

"Don't say that!" Ron groaned forlornly as he dropped his head to the table with a muffled bang. "I don't want to trade one Binns for another!"

Harry patted his best friend's back commiseratively as Dumbledore finished off his speech.

"And without any further ado, dig in!" the Headmaster smiled, and with a clap of his hands, the tables were filled with the traditional welcoming feast entrees, a heavenly smell wafting through the room.

Ron lifted his head off the table at once. "Food!" he perked up and grabbed for the nearest piece of sherpard's pie, ghost dilemma totally forgotten.

Hermione and Harry rolled their eyes knowingly.

"Did you hear anything about it, Fred? George?" the green-eyed teen asked as he reached for the mashed potatoes at a more sedate pace.

"Now, why would you be askin' us, Harry-me-lad?" George grinned and he tore into his drumstick.

"Because you two are the biggest sneaks around," Hermione responded primly.

"Thafs truf," Ron agreed, and promptly received a whack on the arm for talking with his mouth full ("Aw! Herm!") while Harry pretended to be absorbed in his chicken pot pie.

Fred and George regarded the three of them with great amusement. "Y'know, are you sure you three don't have an invisible wire connecting your brains or something? It's like you've got these preset reactions," Fred arched an eyebrow.

"Dun be sfupid!" Ron said, brandishing his half-eaten drumstick ("Aw! Herm!").

"Just answer the question," Hermione ordered and drew herself straight. When she did that, Harry thought, she looked frighteningly like McGonagall.

Apparently Fred and George thought so too, cause they shrunk back a little. "Uh, not much. Just that the HoM prof isn't British."

"Really?" Ron asked after swallowing for once. "Do you think it could be Fleur?" he sighed hopefully.

"She's not old enough to teach," Hermione replied crisply, suddenly sporting a rather venomous glare. Ron continued to sigh, oblivious to Hermione's rising ire.

Fleur Delacour had been a contestant in the Tri-wizard tournament last year, hailing from Beauxbaton Academy in France. Part-veela, she'd quickly gained the adoration of just about every teenage male and the animosity of just about every teenage female at Hogwarts.

Harry saved Hermione the trouble and kicked Ron discretely under the table. ("Aw! Harry!")

"Well, maybe it this time we'll get a vampire or something," Harry joked lightly, "I wouldn't put it pas-"

Harry was interrupted abruptly when the doors of the Great Hall banged open, bringing in a draft that made the candles flicker. Hermione's eyes raised to the candles in surprise. They had an ever-burning charm on them, after all, why would they flicker?

From the hall stepped a slim, graceful figure, made slightly bulkier by the heavy black cloak he was wearing. Absently, the newcomer flicked water off his shoulders, and turned his gaze on the silent congregation on front of him.

Harry felt his jaw drop, mirrored on the faces of practically every student in the hall. (fanart: ww w.angelfire.c om/anime2/loft1050/history.jpg)

The man was short, but not disproportionately so. His black hair was streaked with blonde and tipped in crimson, tied high on his head in a topknot that accented the slant of his eyes and his exotic countenance. His face was lightly tanned and almost elfin, with long lower lashes that lined his eyes like kohl. His eyes were practically glowing an erie, vampiric red. Glimpses of silver buckles gleamed under his cloak as he glided towards the head table and Harry suddenly realized that the man was wearing a black leather choker with a broken chain that looked more like a collar and than anything else.

He heard Hermione gasp beside him. "Harry!" she hissed, tugging at his sleeve uselessly, "Harry it's the man from the bookstore!"

Harry nodded absently. Taking a quick assessment of his surroundings, he saw that Fred and George were looking at the newcomer with something akin to awe and that Ron had frozen with his fork half-way to his gapping mouth.

At the head table, Snape suddenly stood and pointed accusingly, looking as surprised as Harry had ever seen him. "You!" the Potions Master exclaimed.

The newcomer merely smiled benignly, eyes twinkling. He bowed his tri-coloured head fractionally and Snape glared venomously in return.

"Ah?" Dumbledore, said eloquently. "Have you met our new History of Magic professor already, Severus?"

WHAT?!

"What?" McGonagall choked on air and looked fit to be tied. Snape developed a twitch that Harry might've found funny if he hadn't been so shocked himself.

"Why yes," Dumbledore continued obliviously, "I believe I have one more introduction to make." Clapping his hands together, eyes twinkling madly, Dumbledore stood again and addressed the students. "Children, though a little late, may I present your new History of Magic professor, Mr. Yugi Mouto from Japan."

The said man turned to the hall and bowed, Asian style, to the bewildered congregation of students. Went he straightened, Harry caught a mischievous grin forming around the foreigner's lips and noticed that his eyes were now the more subdued violet he remembered from the bookstore. Maybe the red had been a trick of the light?

"Hello," Professor Mouto replied, his voice light and melodic with the barest hint of an accent.

"That's our new HoM prof?!" Hermione squeaked incredulously.

Ron stuck the fork in his mouth and proceeded to chew his food slowly for once, staring wide-eyed at the scene.

Across the table, Fred and George rubbed their hands together and grinned, exchanging devious glances that screamed trouble.

"...Wicked!" they cheered in stereo.



TBC



The sap from the Deifenbachia plant causes swelling of the tongue and throat if ingested, possibly leading to suffocation and death. How do I know? I had to research how to take care of one **Stares at the Diefenbachia sitting innocently in the pot beside her desk** Hm.

Nitrogen's used in explosives and if I remember right, liquid nitrogen's the stuff that freezes things to a brittle crisp.

End Notes:
Watcher-in-the-Water is from Lord of the Rings, I think... I was sorta falling asleep during the first movie, so I'm not sure... In any case, if I managed to make you feel sorry for the Giant Squid, then I've done my job well. ;) No, it's not a duel monster. It just gives off a similar aura.

The dust bunnies are credited to my older sister, who taught me to name my dust bunnies so I wouldn't have to clean them ("No, you can't vacuum Francesca! Nooooooo!").

Anyway, ever find it funny how the more you try to do something, the less of it gets done? Wanted to work on ITN, got this done instead. (It's kinda like exam time... where I'm supposed to be studying, but I end up drawing my best fanarts) **sigh**

I'm not too sure about this chapter... felt a bit rushed so there might be plot holes. Hopefully Yugi will get some action in the next chap- ok, that sounded wrong. **shakes head ^_^** Anyway, he'll get to teach his first class unless something goes seriously awry and hopefully Ron will stop being a brainless mouth. x_x I didn't mean for him to turn out like that. Don't expect the next update to be this "fast", folks.

Thanks to:
Alana Hikari-Chan, Aneko, Arabella Silverbell, BakaNeko-Chan, Catalyst of Light, Cherry-San, Ice-Spirit Phoenix, Lethe Seraph, Maia Webmistress, Molly-chan the Anime/Game fan, Ranma Higurashi, Rebecca, Sarah, Shenya, shiningcrystal and Skyla Doragono.

Angel Rosz - Well, this fic is more plot driven than ITN? (which is character/interaction driven). I'm just hoping it's not developing plot holes as well. x_x Oh I've got things in store for our Harry... **rubs hands together** Just you wait my little Gryfindor **cackles insanely to herself**
HEY! I was thinking of naming... it (Muse: IT?!) Nanashi but I wanted a chance to introduce the name properly. I'm still not sure if I can call... him that without thinking about Trowa, but...
Yes, the review responses are in alphabetical (unless I'm still mixing up my "b"s and "d"s after all this time -_-). Slightly troublesome for me, but easier on my reviewers, no?

Anime-crazed33 - Oh, I want to give Yugi a chance to do some cool stuff. Problem is that Yami's rather protective. In the show, the only time Yugi really gets to duel is when he doesn't have the Puzzle on him. **shrugs** Oh well, I'll figure something out.

anonymous - O_O Whoa, I can't believe no one pointed that out earlier. **makes a mental note to spell HP place names correctly**

Autumn Ann - Thanks. ^_^ I didn't use Man Eater Bug because it's pretty much trademarked to Bakura (or maybe Weevil x_x). Just Desserts is a bit more flexible.

benign sadist - You feel sorry for Snape? Why? It's not like I'm gonna torment him... that much. ^_^() Poor J.K. Rowling's in a stitch about her "bad guys" being turned into lovable "good guys" but I'm afraid I've fallen prey to it. Snapey-pooh just needs a good hug! **reaches out**
Snape: DETENTION!! DETENTION UNTIL THE WORLD ENDS!
T_T Or maybe not. Anyway, yeah, Yugi's not quite as innocent as he seems. **cackles** The fact that he watches porn amuses me for some reason... the fact that Grampa watches it too... **arches an eyebrow** What's with anime and perverted old men?

Chibizoo - Hey! Look! **points to FtG** I entered the contest! See, I'm not that lazy! (Liz just has Exclaimitis instead: the unhealthy fondness for exclamation marks) Thanks for the compliments. ^_^ I hope you'll keep reading.

Hikari-neko - "Rock my socks"? **laughs** There's an expression I've never heard before. ^_^ I like. Must remember. Yes well, Bakura(s) is vying against Yugi(s) for status as my favorite character, so he'll make it in later... it's almost a guarantee.

hobbit13 - Yes, Yami had copies. He left one for the aurors to find. Just don't ask me how he made them. x_x Portable photocopier, anyone?

hoshi-tachi - Dumbledore's aware of the whole yami/hikari thing subconsciously. People tend to notice the change between Yami and Yugi but they just don't add things up. I mean, how often do people get possessed by their pre-incarnation? (At least, I hope it's not a common occurrence). 6_6 How'd you like Snape's reaction? Not that big of one, I'll grant... I'll have a confrontation later... **evil grin**

JK - **laughs** No... I just remembered seeing a rake in Yugi's soul room in one episode... I think it was the one where Shadi came snooping. Making people wilt is very interesting to watch. Maybe even more interesting than watching them melt. **wry grin**

Neko-baka-chan-chan - **sweatdrops and tries not to look guilty** Well, at least I updated this fic faster. -_- But anyway, I'm glad you like my work (and WOW what a wonderfully long review). I hope this chapter lives up to your standards.

Peter Kim - Dumbledore knows that Yugi is powerful and that his magic is different. He considers Yugi trustworthy, so he hasn't delved too much into where exactly Yugi's powers come from. Meanwhile, Yugi's pretty much gonna pose as a squib (although technically that might not be false, since he can't do wand-magic). Life-sized duel monsters will make an appearance eventually but I'm not sure if it'll ever be in a duel. As for the game of duel monsters, Japan has Kaiba Corp, and America has Industrial Illusions. England doesn't have a major sponsor (at least not in my fic universe), so it's not as popular there. Anyway, that's how it stands so far. It might change later as things progress.

R - Ah, gomen. I sacrificed Yami's omnipotence for the sake of humour.

Shinnyu Kudzu - **bows** Thank you for lending me your muse and I give him back to you in relatively prime condition. ^_^ Hmm... never gotten GLOMPed by a muse before. Kinda nice. **points** My own is currently busy trying to dig out of a plot hole in my other fic. (**Pans to Nanashi, who's chained at the ankle, holding a pick and crying waterfall tears**) Or maybe I'm just lazy?

shitsumon - Oh, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with Snape and Yami. :D And Yami and Yugi. And (spoiler) Yugi and Filch. Shhh!

Songwind - **Arches in eyebrow** If Bakura doesn't get a job as a substitute (AH! BAKURA TEACHING?!) then he'll come visit to harass Yami and steal potions ingredients or something. ^_^()

Target Zero - Well, I've sped up the process and brought them to Hogwarts. ^_^ Hope you like.

Tellura - Hehehe... Yami is yummy... All that leather and buckles... although, if I brought a guy like that home... O_O Parents would have a heart attack. Yugi will teach next chapter if all goes well. Look out for it. :D

The Chaotic Ones - Well, they're at Hogwarts now, so Yugi's one step closer to teaching.

The Helldragon - Really? Well, that's good. ^_^ I'm a bit uncomfortable with the HP side of things. I've pretty much got a settled style when it comes to YGO (particularly Bakura/Ryou interaction) but I'm afraid I'll mess up with the HPers. Mundy's already pretty far from canon, although I have taken deliberate liberties with his character. x_x

Tuulikki - Hey! Are you feelin' better? O_o Yami Malik humour fic is hard. I'm trying to write the Owner's Manual for him right now and all he wants to do is kill people. -_-

Windswift - Scary Yami is very cool... although a bit hard to write effectively 'cause I don't want him to seem too evil... especially when Yugi's lookin' over his shoulder, so to speak.

Hope that's everyone! 1

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws