The first Meteor funeral coach was built in 1915; in the early years, the car was sold by mail notices and bargain sales flyers. The Twin-Six combination ambulance/hearse was made in 1916 and used a 12-cylinder motor [not Cadillac]. In 1917 a carved-side coach was added to the range; that year, the manufacturer, A.J. Miller of Bellefontaine, OH, began to build complete cars themselves [prior to that they had made only bodies for mounting on the the Meteor chassis]. A new 8-pass. combination model was built in 1921. In 1923 there was disagreement between Miller and Meteor when the former began building on the Studebaker chassis; the animosity between the two lasted for three decades. In 1933, Meteor adopted the regular Buick chassis in lieu of their own. In 1953, the A.J. Miller Co celebrated their 100th Anniversary. In 1954, Meteor was acquired by Wayne Works [later a division of DIVCO-WAYNE CORP., Bellefontaine, Ohio]; A.J. Miller Co was acquired by that company too, in 1956 [March 19]. The first Miller-Meteor coaches were marketed in 1957. In 1958 there was a record breaking single order for 40 funeral cars. In 1962 the company was the largest manufacturer of funeral cars and ambulances on the Cadillac chassis; sales broke all records. In 1963, Miller-Meteor announced a completely new line of models. In 1966 the line comprised 13 basic models. Extending tables for all rear-loaders were offered in 1968. By 1970, the model range was up to 34; that was also the last year for the Miller-Meteor flower car. 1971 was named the 100th Anniversary year for Miller-Meteor funeral cars and ambulances; a new line was introduced. Cadillac's last full-sized commercial chassis was built in 1976 and, in 1977, Miller-Meteor continued its production on van-type chassis. In 1979 the plant closed down and in 1984 the name was acquired by Collins Industries, Inc. Eureka Coach and Miller-Meteor were consolidated in 1992.
Thanks to The (new) Cadillac Database Glossary