"Bon jour" in french means (literally) "Good Day" and any day is a "Good Day" for researching your roots. "Bon Jour" Genealogy Resources is where you will find many other sites to aid in your genealogical research, hopefully ending in your having a "Good Day" ;)
Return to the Bonjour Family Home Page
Page Modified 2 September, 1996
"Bon Jour" Genealogy Pages
- Iowa Pioneer Project has a database of Iowa Pioneers among the other good things for viewing.
Genealogy Page Collections & Misc. Resources
- On-Line Genealogy Searches a collection of many of the on-line searchable references currently available on the WEB.
- On-line Information (all searchable or semi-searchable)
- The Searcher a list of Search Engines and directories. The largest that I have seen.
- Gene Stark's Genealogy Page (including information on GED2HTML).
- Welcome to ROOTSBOOK! The ROOTSBOOK web site helps people who are interested in genealogy look at some of the information found by other genealogists. It's a big database made up of a lot of little databases - each one made by people who are working on their own families. The addition of new material is an on-going project. The server contains 1,425,353 individuals using 77,617 surnames.
- Lori Hoffman's Home PageAmong the best Lists in Genealogy
- The Newberry Library One of only 15 major independent research libraries in the U.S., has one of the nation's finest historical collections. In the Local and Family History and Genealogy section you'll find resource guides for researching the histories of specific ethnic or regional groups. Click on a subject -- say, Bohemian Genealogy -- and you get annotated listings of the Newberry's guides, indexes, and gazetteers.
- The USGenWeb Project In March and April, 1996, a group of genealogists organized the Kentucky Comprehensive Genealogy Database Project. The idea was to provide a single entry point for all counties in Kentucky, where collected databases would be stored. In addition, the databases would be indexed and cross-linked, so that even if an individual were found in more than one county, they could be located in the index. The USGenWeb Project is an extension of this project.
- Yahoo - Arts:Humanities:History:Genealogy
- Yahoo - Arts:Humanities:History:Genealogy:Lineages
- #Genealogy-IRC Home Page for #GENEALOGY on IRC (Internet Relay Chat), Welcome to #Genealogy, a place where genealogists can gather and talk live about their research, experiences, and hints, and a place for beginners to ask questions and have fun.
- Ancestor -- KBYU-TV, in association with the Public Broadcasting Service, is pleased to present the home page for Ancestors, a family history and genealogy series coming to PBS stations in January of 1997. Whether you're new to genealogy or an expert in past generations, this is the place, and the series, you won't want to miss.
Channel 56 (Metro Detroit MI area)is having the genealogy series, starting January 4th at 2 PM. The next segments will be shown on subsequent Satrudays at 2 PM.
- Brother's Keeper is a Windows genealogy program that will help you organize your family history information and let you print a large variety of charts and reports.
- Everton's Guide to Genealogy on the World Wide Web
- Sample Citations for Works Cited PagesEvery Genealogist keeps good records, Right? ;)
- History Information categorised by subject. History Indexes include Links added at last update, Alphabetical list of history resources, Resources organized by era, WWW-VL history servers organized by subject,
Carrie: An Electronic Library: An on-line library of full texts and documents, World News, Omnivore Global News Service, Historical News Groups and Discussion Lists, Discussion Lists for Historians, Local Sites: Heritage: The Kansas Center for Family and Local History, The Kansas Collection of Books and Documents, The Kansas Humanities Council
The Kansas State Historical Society
- Top Genealogy Home Page Sites This page is a list of Link Pages
- Searchable Genealogy Links.
- Civil War Pages A list of Civil War Pages.
- Canada 411 Phone directory (bilingual)
- Heraldry on the Internet A site working toward becoming the definitive source on Heraldry on the Internet.
- Funeral Homes in Michigan Also has list of National (military) Cemetaries
- Genealogy Site and Database Index
- Public Libraries Online World Wide information, Search Form
- Canadian Genealogy Resources is a beautiful site with outstanding provincial resources and various databases. Visit this site to find information about genealogical sources in Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Yukon. For example, here you will find the link to the 1871 Index to the Census of Ontario where you can conduct an online search in its database. Be sure to take time to get an explanation of the column headings provided for the census index--and good luck finding your Ontario ancestors.
- Ontario Genealogical Society
- Quebec Genealogy Page
- SCOTLAND--Looking for Scottish books on history and genealogy subjects? Visit Books from Scotland--a commercial site with an interesting assortment of books on Scottish subjects.
- SCOTLAND--A visit to the Scottish Dress and Tartans page will provide you with some information about tartans and kilts, including three collections of Scottish tartans, with more than 500 of them downloadable GIF images.
- SCOTLAND--For more tartans, check out the Tartans in GIF Format site where there is an option called "tartans in thumbnails." To see the clan data, put the cursor on a tartan icon, click the mouse and the full tartan GIF file will be retrieved. Here also you will find a ZIP file of many tartans (1.6 mb).
- SCOTS--Eight major Scottish clans have donated archival materials to The Ellen Payne Odom Genealogy Library in Moultrie, Ga. Among them are Donald, Henderson, Ramsey, Armstrong, Stewart, Ross, MacDougall, MacLeod and Johnston(e). The library publishes "The Family Tree," which is a free newspaper of queries and genealogical tidbits (postage donations are accepted to help defray the cost). Complete instructions on how to subscribe are given on the home page.
- SLOVAK and CARPATHO-RUSYN--If you are searching in Slovakia, post your surnames and villages of interest and pay a visit to the Eastern Slovakia, Slovak and Carpatho-Rusyn Genealogy Research Pages. The Carpatho-Rusyn surname project is a place where you can post your surnames and villages. It's found at the Carpatho-Rusyn Knowledge Base--a site maintained by genealogists Greg Gressa and Megan Smolenyak. This site provides information pertaining to Carpatho-Rusyn culture and history as well as genealogy, and has links to other web sites of interest.
- SWITZERLAND--Swiss Genealogy (The Doug Schorey Genealogy Home Page) provides tips on searching for Swiss ancestors, plus information on Swiss history and culture, a Swiss map and a link to a text file of form letters in German/English that can used to write to churches or village governments. Here, too, is a link to French-language genealogy resources in Switzerland. Additional hotlinks will take you to more information about Switzerland and Swiss sources.
- Genealogy Resources on the Internet Compiled and continuously updated by: Chris Gaunt and John Fuller. There is a wealth of genealogy resources on the Internet that can be accessed through Mailing Lists, USENET Newsgroups, anonymous File Transfer Protocol (FTP), Gopher, World Wide Web, Telnet, and E-Mail. This document is an inventory of these resources based on personal investigation and the consolidation of information received from others too numerous to mention.
- Genealogy Resources on the Internet Obituary by Chris Gaunt
- Genealogy SFYour source for genealogy software and genealogy data.
- GenWeb Database Index The GenWeb Database Index contains links to all known genealogical databases searchable through the Web. It is limited to searchable databases and does NOT include links to sites devoted to a family unless a database is available for searching.
- GenWeb™ Mailing List The GenWeb electronic mailing list was established to facilitate the development of the GenWeb concept of globally distributed, linked genealogy databases.
- Home Page for Genwebindx This index an on-going project to index files on the World Wide Web of interest to Genealogists.
- Helm's Genealogy Toolbox - Introduction The purpose of the Genealogy Toolbox is to give genealogists access to the many resources on the Internet that might aid their research. The first version of the Toolbox tried to accomplish this by categorizing sites into several general areas. In the second version, I've tried to focus more on area-specific and family/surname resources. These resources have been grouped together with links formerly listed under the library, groups, and geographic areas.
- Heraldry - Genealogy Resources on the Internet
- American Memory from the Library of Congress American Memory consists of primary source and archival materials relating to American culture and history. These historical collections are the key contribution of the Library of Congress to the National Digital Library. Most of these offerings are from the Library's unparalleled special collections.
- Janyce's Root Diggin' Dept. (genealogy) Gealogy relating to everyone, Help for newbies .... and "Old-Timers" too, Genealogical tools, General reference, Regional genealogy .... USA, Non-USA, Specific heritage sources, Civil War history OF USA, Misc items of interest, PAF & GEDCOM info, Organizations and Groups, Genealogy NEWSgroups .... Hot Linked, Free Stuff from businesses, People searching & adoption With 12 Interactive, Genealogy NEWSletters, WEB census listings and census info
- Main Menu of French-English Translator This is an interactive and ever-expanding educational environment between English and French. Interactive tests to improve vocabulary and a special category of dirty words are unique features of EF Bridge.
- National Genealogy Society NGS provides leadership and education through various programs, publications, and services. These include a library and library loan program, quarterly journal, bimonthly newsletter, home study course, annual conference, computer interest group, and much more. See the linked Web pages for the details.
- The Genealogy Home Page
- The World-Wide Web Virtual Library: History
- WWW 1st Ward, The LDS Redeem the Dead Homepage
- JACK MOUNT'S HOME PLACE: GENEALOGY PAGE Here is another selected list of Web pages dealing with Genealogy.
- CULTURE--People--Lists--directories, home pages
- Social Security Death Index Search To search the Social Security Death Master File (a.k.a. Social Security Death Index or simply SSDI)
- World Birthday Web (WBW)
- (Detroit) Metro Net Library Consortium, Inc. is a virtual Consortium of eight Detroit suburban public libraries
at ten sites in Wayne and Oakland Counties (suburban Detroit area), Michigan.
Maps and Map Resources
Interactive Map With this interactive street guide, you get access to maps anywhere in the continental US... including some great cities like Boston, New York, Baltimore, Washington DC, Orlando, Detroit, Atlanta, Indianapolis, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle and San Francisco!
- WWW Maps! is a great site to zoom into a certain spot!
- Color Landform Atlas of the United States
- Country maps from W3 servers in Europe
- Defense Mapping Agency-GEOnet Names Server is another mapping site.
- Gold Bug Historical map reproductions & county mapping software.
- Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection is the ideal site to get a map of about anything you need.
- Ordnance Survey Home Page National Mapping Agency of Great Britain
- PCL Map Collection
- The Tiger Map Server This site is ideal for getting a fix on locations, and you can use the US Gazeteer as an aid in the mapping.
- USGS/GNIS is THE site to go for maps!
- JACK MOUNT'S HOME PLACE: MAPS AND CARTOGRAPHY PAGE
- GeoCities - Create a Map With Proximus!, Find a current USA Road Map.
- FEEFHS (Federation of East European Family History Societies) has around 1.8M of European maps online.