AJ's Encyclopedia of Stamps & Philatelic Links
REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO
(formerly: French Congo, Brazzaville, Middle Congo)
- Congo, Republic of the
- The area was visited by the Portuguese in the 14th century. Congo became part of French Equatorial Africa and was known as "Middle Congo" from 1908 until 1958. It became independent as the Republic of Congo in 1960. A military coup created the first Marxist state in Africa and the country was named the People's Republic of Congo in 1968. In 1991 the country was again renamed to the Republic of Congo after Marxism was renounced.
Postage stamps have been issued for Middle Congo from 1907 until 1933. Stamps for the Republic of Congo have been issued since 1959.
Direction des Postes
Brazzaville, Republic of Congo
- Inter Governmental Philatelic Agency Online - for over 55 countries (if you're a dealer)
- Congo (Brazzaville) Stamp New Issues News
- "Middle Congo" and "Congo People's Rep." (see both) - Download Album Pages: - $5 a year for all the countries you can eat!
- Free Album Pages? This site is sort of like "shareware" software.
- CIA Data on Congo, Republic of The
- Independence: 15 August 1960 (from France), Location: Western Africa, bordering the South Atlantic Ocean, between Angola and Gabon
Submit URL Top Home
@ AJ Ward