The Unofficial Saskatoon Light Infantry (M.G.) Site

No. 3 Infantry Brigade Support Group ( Sask. L I. ) commanded by Major D. E. Walker formed part of Third Canadian Infantry Brigade commanded by Brigadier M. H. S. Penhale.  The voyage through the Mediterranean was uneventful.  The Mortar Company, commanded by Captain S. R. Wells, landed on Pachino Beach at H + 8 on the 10th of July.  The skeleton Group Headquarters and the Machine Gun Company landed on the 13th of July and joined the brigade south of Grammichele on the 16th.  Up to this time the brigade, following the wake of sister brigades, had seen no action.  The first operational commitment came on the 17th when both mortars and machine guns supported the infantry near Enna.  The first casualty in the group occured at this engagement when a D. R. was wounded by small arms fire.  After this action broke off the group followed a fast moving battle to Radussa.  From here the Brigade made a right flanking move towards Canteuova to meet the 78th British Division.  In support of the Carlton and York Regiment the first fatal casualties of the group occured when Lieut. J. G. Leggo and Pte. J. Leniuk were killed and the balance of carrier crew were injured by an anti-tank mine.  Upon contact being made with 78th Division near Mount Giardinelli, the Brigade passed under its command for the attack on Cantenuova and Centuripe.  At this time, half the skeleton gruop headquarters became casualties from enemy air bombing and strafing.  All three machine gun platoons supported the West Nova Scotia Regiment into Catenuova and the CYR's exploitation north of the town.  This action was the groups final commitment in Sicily, and after a brief rest near Regalbuto proceeded to a concentration area at Francafonte.
While in their concentration areas during the last half of August all groups were visited by General Montgomery and by General L. G. McNaughton.  The battalion was enlarged by the addition of a brigade defence platoon of one officer and twenty - three other ranks for each group.

  In the meantime the A/A Companies and the rear parties had remained in Scotland.  They finally sailed on the 14th od August, landed at Augusta on th 26th of August and joined their respective headquarters on the same day.

  Casualties during the Sicilian campaign were:

Killed or died of wounds: officers, 2; other ranks, 9.
Wounded: officers, 4; other ranks, 42.
Oerlikon Gun
The Q M Staff
September 1943
Mule Train
Signals In Action
September 1943
Hosted by