ADDIS ABABA UNIVERSITY
FACULTY OF BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS
DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT
COURSE TITLE: Operations Research - MGMT 421
Operations Research (OR) or Management Science (MS) provides methodology for management. OR/MS methodology is appropriate to some but very important problems, which managers encounter in various functional areas such as in finance, operations or production, human resource management, marketing, and in general application areas such as in investment planning, project management, and decision analysis.
After students have completed the course, they are expected to (a) understand basic concepts in modeling and model use as appropriate to management problems; (b) appreciate representative problems which managers encounter in managing the business of their firms; (c) appreciate the logical approach to the analysis of problems; and (d) apply, to a limited degree, the concepts and techniques they have learned to sample exercise-problems.
ONE: Introduction (Chapter 1)
1.2 Decision process and relevance of OR
1.3 Model and model building
1.4 OR Techniques
TWO: Deterministic Models
2.1 Mathematical formulation of Linear Programming (LP) problems (Chapter 2)
2.2 Graphical and Analytical solution of LP problems (Independent study, Chapter 3)
2.3 Simplex Method of solving LP problems (Chapters4 and 5)
2.4 Sensitivity Analyses and Duality in LP (Chapter 6)
2.5 Transportation Problem (Chapter 7)
2.6 Assignment Problem (Chapter 7)
THREE: Stochastic Models
3.1 Decision Theories (Chapters 10 and 11)
3.2 Network Analysis (Chapters 15 and 16)
W.I. Stevenson: Introduction to Management Science, IRWIN, Inc., Boston, 1989.
1. Anderson, Sweeney and william, An Introduction To Management Science, Quantitative approach to decision making, 5th ed., 1986
2. Srivastava, Shenoy and Sharma, Quantitative Techniques for Managerial Decisions, 2nd ed., 1989
3. Shenoy, Srivastava and Sharma, Operation Research For Management, 2nd ed., 1991
4. Harvey M. Wagner, Principles Of Operations Research, 2nd ed., 1982
5. Camm, J.D & Evans, J.R. Management Science: Modeling Analysis andinterpretation. South-western College Publishing, USA.1996.
6. Winston,W.L & Albright, S.C. Management Science. Wadsworth Publishing Company, USA. 1997.
7. Winston W.L. Operations Research. PWS-KENT Publishing Company, Boston.1991.