THE STORY BEFORE THE ANNEXATION
In 1936 Point Place residents were within one step of becoming citizens of Toledo as a result of Toledo council's action in approving annexation of the district to the city. This climaxed a three-year fight on the part of proponents of annexation proceedings. The first move for annexation was put over by a former council, pending the paving of Summit Street from Bay View Park to Edgewater Drive (now 131st). After the paving was completed residents again started the move for annexation. At the time PP was part of Washington Township. Although it lacked many big city conveniences, taxes were generally lower and the water and lake breezes made up for the small discomforts. Few if any sidewalks, no sewers and fire protection was provided by local volunteers. Neighbor was against neighbor and it was a mini-war. Fred Young was one who lead the fight for annexation. Council heard both sides of the question and after country commissioners had approved the plan, it was brought back to the city legislators. It was finally approved after an appeal to the Ohio State Supreme Court.
A threat to the annexation appeared when Councilman Thacher reported he had heard that the high school at PP and the fire station would be closed if the district was annexed. Toledo School officials opposed annexation on the ground that they would be unable financially to operate schools in the district without hardship. The cost of the annexation to the Toledo school board, over and beyond the total of local taxes and state educational funds received by the district would be about $38,000 a year. The board would be ogliged to extend its system to include the 1034 pupils in the three Point Place grade schools and high single high school. Closing the high school was considered because of the high cost of maintaining a relatively large faculty for a small student body.
At the time PP high school had an enrollment of 312 and students were to be transferred to Woodward. The 38 teachers in the PP system would benefit with salary increases of about 30%. The maximum teacher's salary paid in PP was $1,728 and Toledo's max was $2,790. The old high school became the home of the WPA Recreation Training Project
The PP district consisted of 1 and ¼ square miles of property with a population of 4,651 and 1,526 buildings, including houses valued at $4,740,107. There were 23 duplexes, 15 store and apartment buildings, 8 gas stations, one six-family apartment, two churches and one church and school building in addition to the public school buildings.