Adaville ( johnson twp. ) sect..29
                       
This little village lasted from 1889 to 1904 in the S.W. part of the township.
                       A store and church still remain


                                        Akron
( portland twp ), sect. 31
                       T
his was at one time the town of Portlandville and it in turn was plated June 5, 1871
                      Located on Hwy 20, 35 miles north of Sioux City  or 20 miles west of Lemars

                    Broken Kettle
( perry twp , sect. 3 or  hancock twp today, sect. 14 ).
                         
This little town no longer in exsistance and was established  about 3
                                miles  north of  Broken Kettle Road and the highway 20 intersection.

                                 Brookdale
( perry twp )sw corner of sect. 31
                      Seen on a map of Plymouth county from 1890 to about 1910. This little town
                   was established as an addition to Sioux City.

                              Brunsville
( washington twp. ), sw corner of sect. 3
                   Though alot of the businesses are not operating anymore here is still is a nice little community
                 west of Lemars

                                   Craig
( grant twp ), sw corner of sect. 5
                      
Craig is quite active yet today and sits west of Struble on C12.

                                   Crathorne
( washington  twp. ), sect. 6
                
Is no longer in exsistance.  It was a post office from 1887 - 1905.There is no longer
             idenification to give you a precise location  today.  It sat between the town of Brunsville and
             the old town of Struble  on what is now C26.  The old couch road between Akron and Bruns-
             ville actually was here and not 3  miles south of what is now Hwy 3.

                                            
Dalton ( washington  twp. ) sect. 13
                  
Can you find this town today? Nope but if you journey west from Lemars on hwy 3 and
               come to a big  grain elevetor and the Farm Energy station just after the west Floyd river
               bridge and railroad track, you found where it once was. This town was plated on Feburary 1, 1890

                                                       
Ellendale ( liberty twp. )
                 
A post office from 1894 to 1904 in the central area of Liberty township

                                                      
Furray ( johnson twp. )
                       
This post office made it's histrocal presents from 1878 to 1883

                                                   
Happy Corners ( stanton twp. )
                                   Another name used for Neptune by the locals in the 1880s

                                         
Hinton (  hungerford twp. )
                 
   Hinton is located on Hwy 75 about 12 miles from Sioux City or LeMars.  It is still
                quit active.
Hinton family bio index and Hungerford twp. history are available through this link.

                                                     
Holley ( johnson twp. )
                     Located in the eastern part of the township and exsisted from 1879 - 1885. It later became
                 known as Rosbach.

                                                           
Joy ( sioux twp. )
                     According to  "Abandoned towns of Iowa" this made it's history as a train station
                  living in the township in the 1870s. Another resource ( old photo postcards of a town
                  named Joy - with streets and a very large school ) may fortell us a different veiw of
                 that Joy may infact  was a town or grew into one from this station. A few Plymouth
                  county historians believe it my may now be associated with the place called " Joy -
                  Hollow", which is a camp for doing military manuevers.


                                                      
James ( Hungerford twp. ) 
                  
James sits along Hwy 75  about 5 miles from Sioux City.  Though not many business
               can be found in this little villiage it is still on the map. For
Family  history bios see Hinton
                and it's history see hungerford twp history in with Hinton's history

                                             
Kingsley ( garfield twp. ) 
                   
Kingsley is locate on  Hwy 140. 10 Mile south of Remsen or 8 Miles north of Moville
                
Kingsley family bio index, as well as, Elkhorn and Garfield twps. and town  histories are
                 available through this link.

                            Lemars
- ( American Twp. , now most of it's entirety )
                                    
Here is the best way to read about Lemars - Click here

                                                         
Lincoln Township
                                                
for Family history bios - see Hinton

                                                          
Malton ( sioux twp. )
                   
It once was located along the Big Sioux River, the western part of the township and
                   lasted from the years 1870 to 1873.


                                                
Mammen ( grant twp. ) sect. 20
                        This sits south of the town of Craig and is an exisitng village. It made it's more
                   popular living from 1898 to 1906.

                                 
Melbourne ( twp. 91, se corner of sect 34, range 46 )
                  P
latted on April 12, 1860 by C.C Orr. as is defunct ( no longer exsisting ). It  is located near the
         Melbourne  Cemetery and this is located just east of the old town of Wren or about 4 miles Northeast
         of  Hinton along the Floyd River on it's  eastern front.  
Melbourne was once the county seat. .

                                          
Merril ( plymouth twp. ) sect 2,3,10 & 11
                 
Merril is still a bustly little town along state hwy 75.  It was platted on Feburary 27, 1872.

                                               
Millernville ( liberty twp. ) sect. 14
                 
" The Abondaned town of Iowa" does not list this village. It still can be found on  a map.

                                                  
Minnabrook ( liberty twp. )
              
Another little place that did not last long in this township. It can be seen on 1885 maps.

                                                 
Neptune ( stanton twp. ) sect. 27
               A little green sign once pointed you in it's direction along K49. St. Jospeh's Catholic
           Church is  all that  remains near this once occupied village. It was established as a post office
            in 1880 and  was abondanded in 1905.. It first was called Happy Corners.

                                               
Oyens ( fredonia twp ) sect. 5 nw
                   Oyens is a small farming villiage,  it has a service station and the grain elevator and a small
           community of homes. Simply take hwy 3 west out of Remsen and then turn north on k49 and then
            apply breaks when you reach the rail tracks. 

                                                 
O'Leary ( union twp. ) sect. 6
                   This defunct. village just sat north of the Presbyterian Union Twp. Church on K64 and C44
              intersection.  I do not recall any setting along the road to pipoint a precise location.  I wonder if
              this town named was after the early settler family of Van O'leary that are evident on the 1860
              census?  It did have a post office from 1889 - 1902.

                                                                  
Petosia

                                                 
Plymouth Centre ( plymouth twp. )
                        
This was the second name for Plymouth ( 1869 -  1873 ) - see below

                                                 
Plymouth City ( Stanton, sect. 6 )
                        A village in the northeast corner of This township was platted on  May 7, 1857
                   by G.W.F. Sherwin, Henry R. Dagget, John C. Flint, Amos French, John Mcelland
                   + others.

                                                   
Plymouth ( plymouth twp. )
              
A platted village in the northeast corner of the township, it sat along the Floyd river,
           and a short distance of the present town of Merrill.  It can be seen on maps from 1863 to 1873.

                          
                              Ponona


                                                   
Portlandville - see Akron.
                  
                                                
Potosia ( liberty twp. ) sect. 35
                         Still can be found on K22. North of Sioux City or west of Hinton. It's post office
                    lasted was from 1890 to 1904.

                                               
Quorn ( elkhorn twp. ) sect. 35
                      Platted on September 19, 1880 , dissolved in 1920-21.  created by the Close Brothers.
                 And sat only 2 miles to the west of Kingsley

                                              
Rosbach ( johnson twp. ) sect. 34
                                                                see Holley

                                                 
Ruble ( johnson twp ) sect. 9
                     T
he evidence of this place can be seen on Hwy 3 between Lemars and Akron.  a little
                defunct gas station / store sits on the roadside.

                                         
Saint Paul Junction ( now - american twp. )
                          
Seen on maps of 1869, this later became known as LeMars

                                                 
Seney ( elgin twp. ) sect. 33
                     If you take a drive on hwy 60 north out of Lemars...you will find this still busy little
                  town.  It was platted on December 7, 1872

                                           
Struble ( elgin  twp. ) sect. 5, 6, 8 & 9
                       Located north of Lemars, 175 to C12 west. Platted on December 4, 1889.

                                               
Union Center ( union twp. )
                      This never had a post office this is associated with the old Union School district, it is
                 located just east of the K64 and C44 intersection.  Today the school still stands, there is a
                 old gas station ( now used as a auto / farm machinery shop ) and then the cemetery. 

                                            
Westfield ( westfield twp ) sect. 23
                       This town was platted on August 3, 1877 it can be seen on a map simply as a post
                  office on the Andreas 1875 county map. Today it is a quant little town on Hwy20 between
                  Sioux City and Akron.

                                                
Wren ( plymouth twp. ) sect. 30
                    
This once was simply a spot for the telegraph and the switch station for the rail way.
                 It was located about 2 miles north of Hinton. Only evidence of it today is a R.R switch
                 station box.

                                                       
Yeomans ( perry twp. )
               
This was a post office in the southwestern part of the township from  1898 - 1906
Towns & Cities that once was and those that still are
I am hoping to have all these town's locations for you but here is alot I have found allready

                       Those towns and townships listed  now have a brief  History link
*most links are offsite
back
visit the Map Area to find these towns on a map
new
this site maintained by K.K.B - copyright 2001 & 2002
Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1