The
It is the headquarters of a sub-sect of the
Jodo-Shin-shu(sect) which was founded after Shinran(1173-1262).
He was one of the few great priests who started preaching in simpler terms in
those days.
So, the Jodo-Shin-shu
received much popular support in spite of the repeated oppressions by some
other Buddhist denominations.
Eventually it came to gain even the
political and military ruler’s patronage at the end of the 16th
century.
Yet, as it grew further influential, the
following ruler forced the sect to split into two halves in 1602, when Higashi Honganji was founded at the present site as the head temple
of one half of them.
But the temple structures were destroyed by
repeated fires.
The present buildings were reconstructed
after the fire in the middle of the last century.
v one of the two main halls is the second
largest wooden structure in
v on the corridor between these two main halls,
in a glass case, is a long and thick rope(110m long and 1 metric ton heavy)
placed in a coil for exhibition. It is one of the 53 ropes made mainly of the
human hair contributed by a great number of female devotees, to be used in the
transportation of the heavy timber on sledges from the forests to
v the other main hall has a statue of the Buddha
Amida(Amitabha in Sanscrit) in its altar. The great priest Shinran insisted that a man is saved only through faith in
this particular Buddha of boundless light and infinite life.