15 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT WEST NISSOURI TOWNSHIP
Did you know ?
- One of the first temperance societies in Ontario was formed in the township.
- The Township of Nissouri was split into east and west in 1851.
- The Townships of West Nissouri and North Dorchester amalgamated in 2001 and are now Thames Centre.
- Representatives from West Nissouri won the Canadian Tug-of-War Championship in 1982.
- Veterans of World War II were given a $50 honorarium for their overseas service.
- The township was surveyed in the autumn of 1819 by Shubal Park.
- Recycling became mandatory in West Nissouri Township in 1989.
- The first tax-collector in the township was threatened with a horsewhipping and received a fist to the jaw when he attempted to collect taxes.
- Local resident Phoebe Campbell was hung in 1872 for the murder of her husband, the first woman to be hanged in Middlesex County.
- The Wellburn Womens Institute has been active since 1912.
- The first horse in the township was owned by Robert Logan and named "White Kate".
- The fine for "riotous conduct" in the mid nineteenth century was five shillings.
- Land for the Thorndale Medical Centre was donated by Wilfred Logan, and members of the Thorndale Lions Club did most of the fund-raising to build the facility.
- Cheese made at the Blanshard and Nissouri Cheese Company Inc. was served to Queen Elizabeth II on one of her state visits.
- The first land grant in the township was to Deborah Relyea, a daughter of a United Empire Loyalist.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
JOIN THE WEST NISSOURI HISTORICAL SOCIETY!
Last revision: 06March2001
Copyright (C) 1999, 2001 West Nissouri Historical Society. All rights reserved.