Craig Woods Civic Association Logo

Craig Woods   Herzog   Melody Oaks

May, June 2008

the Newsletter is DEAD
Long live the newsletter. Really, no one submits info or reads it, so why bother? It's time to move on. kthnxbye.

Check the city of Houston Calendar of Events to find out!

Here is a website recommended by HPD with tips for helping to keep your identity safe.

The Houston Police Department is asking for your help in identifying unknown persons or locating persons who have already been charged with a crime. Follow this link to photographs. If you recognize anyone call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS (8477).

Any Gang Activity in our area? If so report suspected gang activity/information to the HPD Gang Division tip line at 713-247-GANG (4264). All reports to the tip line are kept confidential. If you wish to be contacted by an investigator you must leave your name and phone number on your phone message.

State Rep. Dwayne Bohac is pleased to report a number of improvements in the Spring Branch area will have positive impacts on the community.

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) and the Memorial City Management District are collaborating to beautify the intersections of Gessner and I-10 and Bunker Hill and I-10.

New business will make its mark at Bunker Hill Road and I-10, where Fidelis Realty,Inc. is developing a 46-acre, 520,000 square foot shopping center northof I-10. It is expected to open in a year.

The center will include a 127,000 square-foot H-E-B market, PetsMart and Circuit City. The shopping center will also include multiple restaurants.

Increased Law Enforcement Presence to make the community safer.

To ease traffic concerns, the City of Houston will begin major construction this year in an ongoing effort to update Long Point. The city will begin enlarging the intersection of Long Point and Wirt Road by adding turn lanes.

(info from

Arbor Day
Saturday, January 19 - 10 a.m. - 4 p.m the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center will host an Arbor Day Celebration. Activities include a seedling giveaway and tree and shrub sale. The Arboretum is located at 4501 Woodway. Call 713-681-8433 for more information.

On Monday, Trees For Houston and the City of Houston will host a seedling giveaway. Species include various oaks, mayhaw and pecan. For pick-up information, call Gary Woods at 281-474-4507.

Deja Vu
Looks like Ral's Cafe Bistro has met the same fate as their predecessor, Patisserie Descours. I will miss those sweet potato fries!

The 99 cent store is history too!

Help Our Troops Call Home
"Help Our Troops Call Home" allows anyone to send Military Exchange Global Prepaid Phone cards to individual servicemembers (designated by the sender) or to "any servicemember" through a variety of charitable partners. By simply logging on to or calling 800-527-2345, friends, family members and even civic groups can take part in the effort by sending any one of three Military Exchange Global Prepaid Phone cards, including a 550-minute denomination card capable of providing more than two hours of call time from any of 69 phone centers in Iraq, Afghanistan or Kuwait to the United States. Since the program's inception in 2004, more than 214,000 phone cards have been purchased.

Advocates Needed
Help enhance the quality of life for Harris County nursing home and assisted living residents in your community by becoming a trained and certified state ombudsman. An Ombudsman is an advocate who works with residents, family members, and staff to bring about changes in the way older adults are cared for and help them to exercise their right to dignity, self-determination, and quality care. If you have the ability to listen compassionately and employ effective problem-solving techniques, this rewarding, long-term volunteer commitment may be just right for you. Initial ombudsman training, periodic continuing education, and ongoing volunteer support are provided. For more info, contact Denise Atkerson at 713-500-9932 or visit our website

Politics Shouldn't Matter
SUPPORT the Troops who are far from family this holiday season OR ANYTIME of the year.

Want to send your support to a Soldier in harm's way, but have no idea of what to send, who to send it to, or how to send it?

Check out Any Soldier to adopt a soldier.

Sponsor a care package through the USOcares program

Choose a care package at Treat for Troops

or check out a long list of programs and web sites at America Supports You!

Loading Clusty Cloud ...


Hosted by