Changes and New Things Part One

 

By Neo Hippy Purple ([email protected])

 

 

 

Daria is copyright 2000, MTV, a division of Viacom International, Inc. All rights reserved. Used without permission.

 

 

This story contains mention of premarital sex, teen pregnancy, homosexuality, underage drinking, naughty parts, Gothicness, and public affection to the point of arousal. Please be warned that this story would rate a PG, because the language is suitable, but many adults would hesitate to let a kid under twelve read it, anyway.

 

 

Daria sat in the back of the bus, full of trepidation. She didn’t quite know what she would learn when she got where she was headed. She just knew she didn’t want to find out at all.

 

Daria: Please, God, let this all be a nightmare.

 

It was her way of praying. She just asked. The bus stopped, and she got off. Heading upstairs and into her doctor’s office, she noticed the secretary giving her a funny look, and then remembered that she’d told her why she was making this appointment. She signed in and waited only five minutes before Dr. Williams took her back.

 

Dr. Williams: Hi there, Daria. This is relatively simple. All I need to do is take some blood. Your arm, please?

 

Daria obediently held out her arm, and the doctor jabbed in the hypodermic needle and drew out half a cartridge of blood.

 

Dr. Williams: Come to think of it, I think we should check your weight, too.

 

She led Daria over and checked, then made a mark on her clipboard.

 

Dr. Williams: Uh huh. Well, I’ll call you in three days with the results.

 

Daria: Heh, that quickly, huh?

 

Dr. Williams: Don’t worry. We’ll check thoroughly.

 

And with that, she sent Daria on her way. On the bus, her worries overtook her mind once again, and, although she’d never been the religious type, she prayed all the way home, and as she headed into the kitchen. Helen had a pile of legal work for a lawsuit against the School Board. She looked up just in time to see Daria trying to sneak upstairs unnoticed.

 

Helen: Why, hello, Daria. Where’ve you been?

 

Daria looked up. You could just see her thinking ‘Damn!’

 

Daria: Uh, I was just taking a walk.

 

Helen looked at her suspiciously, so she tried to change the subject.

 

Daria: I’ve got another date tonight.

 

Helen: I’m so glad you and Jon got together. Who would have thought that just six months ago you and Jane were single!

 

Daria: Yeah. Tom’s done the world for her. She was always a happy person, but the way she looked at me when I left was so sad. Like everyone she’d ever known had left her. If Tom dumps her I’ll slit his throat.

 

Helen: You shouldn’t-

 

Daria: Say that around a lawyer. I know. Anyway, I’ve got homework.

 

Helen: I also can’t believe it’s your senior year already. My baby’s growing up!

 

Daria decided to escape the kitchen before Helen got too motherly. She headed upstairs to call Jane. On her way up she saw Jake walk into the kitchen and wrap his arms around Helen. He’d gotten so mushy lately. It just didn’t seem Morgendorfferly to her. She picked up her phone and dialed a familiar number.

 

Jane: Yo!

 

Daria: Hey. We still on for that double date tonight?

 

Jane: As far as I know. Let me ask. TOM!

 

Daria winced and pulled her ear away from the phone as Jane hailed Tom like a taxi-cab. He had moved in with her several weeks ago when his parents kicked him out. It was after graduation, and time for college, and instead of meeting nice society girls from the country club, he dated a gothic artist who lived in an average-sized house in the suburbs.

 

Needless to say, his parents had cut him off from his inheritance.

 

He moved in with Jane the next day, and would attend college while living there. Trent moved in with Jesse the next day. Daria considered it almost funny that the narcoleptic rock musician who went around with three chicks on his arm turned out to be homosexual. He and Jesse were planning on hitching a boat ride to Hawaii to get married next summer.

 

Amanda and Vincent Lane had another house on the other side of the country. They reasoned that Jane was almost eighteen, and moved out, leaving the house to her. She planned to use it as a “dorm house” for herself, Tom, Daria, Jon, and maybe Jodie and Mack. There were, after all, six bedrooms. Daria smiled, knowing that she planned to move in, herself. As soon as she turned eighteen.

 

Jane: Yeah, we’re on.

 

Jane’s voice startled Daria away from her thoughts, and she refocused.

 

Daria: Okay. Well, see you then. Later.

 

Jane: Later.

 

They both hung up. Daria sat on her bed with her binder open and a fresh sheet of paper out, preparing to write an essay to please Mr. O’Neill. She got caught up in thought about Jane’s dorm house, and her mind moved on to her relationship with Jon. It seemed like so long ago that she’d met him.

 

Helen had decided that Daria should get a job after school and over the summer, so Daria, being deviant, went down to Dega Street and got a job working in a goth shop that catered to the intelligent gothic lesbian. It seemed a little strange that a boy named Jon walked in one day.

 

Daria: Can I help you?

 

Jon: Yeah. What kind of store is this place?

 

Daria smirked. She knew he was referring to the erotic art on the wall that depicted sex and violence. Looking him over, she realized how handsome he looked, tall, with brown hair and eyes, and wearing clean khakis and a gray polo shirt. She let down her guard for once.

 

Daria: Actually, I’ll be honest, since you don’t seem to know. It’s a goth shop for intelligent Lesbians. Be glad it’s not five o’clock, or a frenzy of females would come in here and maul you to death. And here comes one now. You seem like the nice type, so get over here under the counter.

 

She pulled him over and shoved him under. The goth girl just walked past the store. She felt something on her hip, but decided it was the breeze from the portable fan.

 

Jon: (under the counter) Why do you work here? Are you a Lesbian?

 

Daria: No. I’m straight. I DO happen to be very smart, though. I work here because my mom made me get an after school job. She didn’t say it had to be in Cashman’s.

 

Jon: Ah. My name’s Jon.

 

Daria: I’m Daria.

 

Jon: So I gathered.

 

Daria looked at her shirt, suspiciously. Her name tag was directly over her right nipple. The shirt, which was part of her uniform, was paper thin, and you could easily see her bra, and her ample bust. Her suspicions confirmed, she kicked him swiftly in the butt.

 

Jon: Ow!

 

Daria: Sush! Here comes one now.

 

Andrea stepped in the front door and headed to the counter.

 

Andrea: Hey. You have the new supply of Cran-rasberry lipstick and eyeliner in? Lizzie loves that stuff.

 

Daria: It’s on the shelf.

 

Andrea: Thank-you! This will freak my parents out, too. They made me get a job, and I’m going to shove the red apron down their throats! So to speak, of course.

 

Daria: Relax. I don’t tell my mom anything these days.

 

Andrea: Thanks again!

 

She went up to the counter and paid, then left. Daria kneeled down closer to Jon, who had his and on his butt and was looking at her funny. Daria was surprised to find that image arousing. She chided herself and put her mind back on the situation at hand.

 

Jon: What did you mean about that not telling your parents stuff?

 

Daria smirked evilly, prepared to instill dread.

 

Daria: My mom’s a litigator.

 

Jon: Uhhh…

 

Daria: Relax. Like I said, I don’t tell her anything anymore. More often than not she hangs on my every word.

 

Jon: Oh, okay. You wanna get some dinner after this?

 

Daria: It’s not even lunch time.

 

Jon: But lunch used to be-

 

Daria: Called dinner. I know that. The key words are used to. Now it’s called lunch, and dinner is later, and there is no such thing as supper, as we both know very well.

 

Jon: What about desert?

 

Daria: What does that have to do with us getting lunch?

 

Jon: Absolutely nothing. So, you wanna?

 

Daria paused. This guy was cute, but he was looking at her boob. Then again, even the GIRLS who came in here did that. But then again, they were lesbians. But this guy was smart, and seemingly trustworthy, and besides, the shirt WAS  thin and almost clear, and he was just a guy with raging hormones. She decided to accept.

 

Daria: Oh, what the hell. I’ll meet you outside in half an hour.

 

Jon: ‘Kay.

 

He left. They had lunch and got to talking. Jon apologized for his Neanderthal behavior. Daria apologized for kicking him. She even let him walk her home, and she found a phone number in her pocket that evening.

 

Daria: So that’s what I felt after he hid under the counter.

 

They continued to date. Things had even gotten a little intimate a couple of times, but not often. Daria wanted something to do besides making out. A few weeks later, she noticed that he went to Lawndale High. She kicked herself for not noticing him before they met. They started eating lunch out on the green. It was easier to really talk without people listening. Daria would have thought she was abandoning Jane, had Jane not started eating lunch with Tom a month ago. One day their conversation turned to something of a somber note for Jon.

 

Daria: That’s so sad. I’m sorry I asked.

 

Jon: It’s okay. It happened a long time ago. Anyway, I know he looks down on me from heaven. I pray to him, now. Dad’s like my guardian angel.

 

That sounded nice, having a guardian angel. Even though she didn’t believe in that sort of thing.

 

The sound of the telephone ringing pulled her away from her memories. She shook her head and tried to concentrate on her essay. She lost track of the time and looked up at her clock when a horn honked.

 

Daria: Jon! Crap, I completely forgot about our date!

 

She brushed her hair, grabbed a jacket, and headed out to his car.

 

Daria: Sorry I’m late. I got caught up in that essay for O’Neill.

 

Jon: That’s okay. We’re meeting Jane and Tom at the theatre. They wanted to catch up on some sex before the show.

 

There was a quick pause.

 

Daria and Jon: They’ll be late.

 

They smirked at each other’s knowledge of their friends sex life.

 

The movie wasn’t interesting, so Daria and Jon caught up on some fun themselves. Not that the other twenty people in the theatre minded. They were all making out, too.

 

When the car pulled up, Daria gave Jon a long kiss and hopped out.

 

Daria: So, we on for Friday night?

 

Jon: Yeah. I got a paper for physics that I found out about by accident. He’s not even assigning it ‘till Thursday, so I’m taking my own sweet time.

 

Daria: Okay. I’ll see you then.

 

He left, and she headed up to her room. These Tuesday night movies were a routine because of the matinee deal they got. All four of them were on a stretched budget.

 

When she got upstairs and undressed, her old anxieties took hold again, and she hopped into bed, unable to sleep.

 

The next couple of day’s passed like a blur as Daria worked, turned in papers, and studied for her SAT II, which would come up in winter. On Friday, she waited anxiously by the phone for a call from Dr. Williams. The phone rang at 3:56. The minute that would change her life forever.

 

Daria: Hello?

 

Dr. Williams: Hi. Let’s cut to the chase. The test turned out positive.

 

Daria: You mean…

 

Dr. Williams: Yes.

 

Daria: Crap. I… need to go.

 

She hung up and walked slowly and numbly upstairs. She couldn’t believe it. In the bathroom she stared at herself in the mirror. Her head spun, and leaning against the wall, her knees gave out, and she sunk slowly to the floor. Her eyes blurred and she took off her glasses, grabbing some TP and wiping off the lenses and her eyes. After a good fifteen-minute cry, she picked herself up, dusted her skirt off, and stared in the mirror, a cool, deadpan façade replacing the emotional, fragile, exposed look she wore earlier. She washed here eyes and put her glasses back on.

 

Daria: Good. Now no one can see that I’ve been crying. So no one will be concerned and ask what’s wrong, and I won’t have to tell anyone. Yet.

 

She brushed her teeth and went to her room to change into something nice for dinner at The Golden Steer, a popular steak house. Jon, Tom, and Jane drove up and honked, and she headed downstairs and out to Tom’s rotting Pinto. Crammed in the backseat, she and Jon held hands while Tom drove and Jane sketched. Comfortable was all that mattered to Daria, and that was about to be usurped.

 

They parked, got out, stretched, and walked in. Daria looked self consciously away from the mirrors in the entranceway while Jane confirmed their reservations and got seats. They picked food, and ordered. The drinks came and Jane was surprised that Daria didn’t use her newly-gotten figure to her advantage to order a glass of bourbon like she usually did. She let it pass as a wish not to be discovered like a few weeks ago when she walked into her home drunk and startled Helen out of her wits. Their food came and they chowed down on steak and prawns.

 

Later, Daria got out at her house and pulled Jon out of the car with her.

 

Daria: Let’s take a quick walk. We don’t have to be home for a while, and I want to talk to you.

 

Daria was surprised at herself for wanting to talk about this so soon after she found out, but she walked with him, thinking all the while.

 

Daria: (thinking) How am I going to tell him this? I don’t want to lose him! He might not want to continue our relationship.

 

She paused and sighed. Jon looked over, concern in every line of his boyish face. Daria closed her expression up, disappointed that she’d let her walls crumble for even a moment.

 

Daria: (thinking) What am I going to do in the long run? That’s the real issue here.

 

They got to the park in the town square. Most of the street lights were off, and they sat down in a bench in the moonlight, leaning back to look at the stars.

 

Jon: So why’d you want to come here? I know it wasn’t to cuddle because you don’t like to do that in public. Something wrong?

 

Daria thought for a moment before continuing. Her voice was measured and controlled, but there was a definite undercurrent of tension and worry there. She could tell, and she knew he could, too.

 

Daria: I have something important to discuss with you.

 

Jon: Yes?

 

Daria: I’m…. Uh, prnint

 

She mumbled the last part, and Jon wasn’t sure if he heard her right.

 

Jon: What? Whalant?

 

Daria: (sigh) Pregnant.

 

Jon: WHAT?!

 

Daria: You heard me. Pregnant. Tell me something. You said you used a condom every time. I was so caught up in the moment I didn’t check. Did you?

 

Jon: Yes! It must have ripped one time. How many months?

 

Daria: Three. And before you ask, I’m pro-life. Besides, it’s too late for an abortion anyway.

 

Jon: Are you absolutely sure?

 

Daria: Yep. I had the bloodwork done with my doctor, and she tested it three times to be sure. I’m pregnant, all right.

 

She looked down self consciously. A tear trickled slowly down her cheek, and Jon realized that this really was happening. Daria looked so vulnerable, so fragile. This would change his life, but it would change hers even more. He put an arm around her shoulder and pulled her to him. She didn’t resist.

 

Jon: Don’t you worry. I won’t leave you. I’ll stick by you come hell and high water, Daria. I know that sounds corny and trite, but it’s the truth. You know that. I love you Daria, and I always will.

 

Daria let a sob escape her lips, and wrapped her arms around his waist. Jon stroked her hair and looked towards the sky. 

 

Daria: That’s the first time anyone’s said that to me.

 

Jon smiled sadly and petted her cheek with the back of his hand, whispering a quiet prayer.

 

Jon: Dad, please help me through this. Help US through this.

 

Daria cried for what seemed an eternity, but what was only half an hour, and then Jon took her home. They stopped at the front door.

 

Daria: Jon, should we… Uh…

 

Jon: Um, I think so. Better sooner than later. Your mom can help you through this, too, you know. I just hope your family doesn’t hate you. It really wasn’t your fault, after all. If anything it was my fault.

 

Daria: (sardonic) No. It was the condom’s fault. He got caught up in the moment and his head burst apart. (beat) Oh my god, I’m making a joke at a time like this.

 

She put her hand to her forehead, sighing. Jon smiled softly and patted her shoulder, reassuring her.

 

Jon: Let’s do this.

 

Daria grasped his hand tightly and opened the door…

 

 

 

To be continued…

 

 

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1 1