|School: Strongsville High School
Personal Bests: 800-2:23 1600-5:10 3200-11:10
Major Achievements: State qualifier XC (Individually 2x; team 3x); State qualifier Track 2x; Plain Dealer POW 2x; Plain Dealer All-Star 2x; All-Academic XC 2x; Sun All-Star and MVP; Team MVP and XC captain 2000; Track captain 2001; All-American in 4x1600 relay (w/Griffin, Gallagher, Bernard) ; State Record holder 4x1600 relay
|1. In general, what do you enjoy most about running?
KA: I love my team to death! They are the Greatest! I also enjoy the trips that we go on and I have an awesome coach.
2. What is the philospohy behind your school's training program and your own individual training?
KA: Honestly, it's all my coach, Mike Knapik. He's always there running with us and pushing us to go the extra mile--literally!
3. What does your summer training consist of?
KA: Summer training is what we call Paavo training and we also have a cross country camp that the parents and Mr. Knapik put together every year.
4. Last Cross Country season, you had a tough race at state where you were a bit under the weather. If you were 100%, what do you think you would have done?
KA: Unfortunately, I became extremely ill the week before state and yes I was definitely "under the weather." I feel that all and all though, my performance was decent considering my condition. Mr. Knapik had hoped to see me up on the awards stand, as did I, but the other girls beat me fair an square.
5. What are your goals this track season?
KA: My goals this season are to place in something at state. Hopefully eitehr the mile of the two mile individually and teh 4x800 which I have gone to state in since I was a frosh.
6. Right now, I would have to say that 3200 is your best event. Is that an accurate statement? and do you enjoy the 3200 or the shorter races more?
KA: Well, I used to think the 3200 was my best event also, but more and more, I am becoming a miler. I really do enjoy the shorter distances, but I still to like to run the 3200.
7. What are your long-term runninng goals?
KA: I would say to beat Rockford in the upcoming National Championship meet in Norht Carolina in the 4x1600. It will be a good race this year.
8. What are some of your interests outside running?
KA: Well, I play softball and I'm involved in Student Council and FCCLA (a volunteer group) and I also have a part-time job at the Coffee Mill.
9. If you could go on a run with anyone in the world (past or present), who would it be?
KA: Definitely PREFONTAINE! I love his running stamina and philosophy.
10. Finally, Any advice or tips to share with other prep runners?
KA: I just say to go for it and don't ever be afraid to step up. It's tough with a lot of the pressure on your shoulders, but it's definitely worth it!
**My thanks to Kelly Ardelean for this great interview! Look for Kelly to team with Jama Bernard, Lisa Gallagher, and Bridget Dalic in the 4x1600 at Nationals to go after Rockford!