Timeline: 6 months later Chapter 3: Succumb The governing council of Indigo, a five member secret organization, was in the midst of a heated discussion. "We can't let him stay there! The boy's insane!" "I do admit his behavior has been quite aberrant." Another voice spoke up. "But he was the first to defeat the Elite Four." "We can't have a champion with mental problems! It's terrible for our image!" "But he can still battle without problems." Derek laughed scornfully. "Only when Lance is with him. Have you noticed that? I wonder…" "What?" "How do we know that the Dragon Master isn't just whispering instructions into his ears?" "We don't." Giovanni said patiently, breaking in from where he had been sitting quietly. "But Ash is commanding his pokemon himself." "How can you tell?" Giovanni resisted the urge to sweatdrop or super-deform. He was a dignified gym leader after all! "Personal experience." "Hm?" "Ash's pokemon won't listen if Lance is the one giving them orders." Giovanni patiently explained. "I've tried several experiments on it with my own. They wouldn't even listen to my wife." Satisfied, the council sat down once more. "But we can't keep him as a national hero! Scandal!" "I think we should dispose of him." Jon said cruelly, a slash of vermilion in his white face. Giovanni stood up. "I am not partaking in this discussion further." Without another word, he strode out angrily. The other four busied themselves, trying to determine which mode of tragic death would evoke the most sympathy. Yes… it would be a fitting end. Plus, no blame. Instead, the trainer's fame would live on. They didn't even consider Ash's feelings. To them, he was just a display ornament and a advertising module. Quite funny, how things turned out. Indigo Plateau… Ash hummed, as his pokemon ran around in the sunshine. "You all okay?" Various nods came from the pokemon. Lance was keeping his company, as always. Ash's warped view on the world had evolved, so now he clung to Lance like a drowning sailor. It was obsession, pure and simple. What other word could describe it? Lance certainly didn't mind; it made his job of protecting Ash infinitely simpler. After all, the trainer followed him around everywhere. However, he did tell him to lay off the affection in public. Not in words though. No, Lance wasn't manipulative for nothing. He simply cuddled him when Ash sat down next to him, and Ash would be quiet. Conditioning? Perhaps. The other elites had grown used to it. Somewhat. Bruno was still freaked out. Lorelei thought it was cute and commented that maybe they could play brothers or cousins so the media would lay off. Agatha didn't practically care. After all, what was it to her? Ghost woman. Lance certainly didn't mind it. After all, the last time he had tried to leave Ash hadn't been a pleasant affair. Ash had clung onto him, whimpering `Don't leave me' over and over. And then the tears… he couldn't bear to see his little koibito cry. So he stayed. Ash had nightmares for days after that. Routines were comforting things, very calm. That was why Lance woke him up every morning with breakfast ready, spent the mornings studying and reading, and in the afternoon they trained their pokemon together. Ash needed all the stability he could get. Poor little one… He was drawing pictures of pikachus now, paper and colored pencils littering the desk. Lance checked on him, satisfied that he wasn't crying, and then gave him a hug. "You like it, Lance?" Ash asked, holding up a picture. It was a pikachu standing in a meadow. Butterflies flew around it. "Very nice." Lance said, unfolding the creased paper. "Honto ni?" "Hai." Ash beamed. I loved her, you know. I did! Even if people say it's a lie, I loved her! What would you do if your girlfriend suddenly turned into a fanged, clawed wild beast and then attempted to rip your head off? So lucky Articuno was with us. She froze Misty, picked me up, and flew off. And you know, me, stupid, silly little useless trainer; all I could do was cry. And cry. And cry… I am worthless! Why does he care? Why would he care about me? No one else did… not father, so… Why… There were so many threads behind blank chocolate eyes. End Chapter ***********************************************************************