Note: Okay, nothing went wrong per see, but Yugi's not teaching in this chapter. x_x Sorry, but I gotta get through this if I want the story to go in chronological order. No one howler me (is that a verb? To howl someone? To- ah, whatever. **snerk**). You get to see a little more of Harry, 'cause a character is a terrible thing to waste, and a certain house-elf makes a guest appearance. Meanwhile, I need to brush up on my HoM (...First Quidditch Cup 1473, Goblin rebellions in the 1612, defeat of Grindelwald in 1945... ARG! @_@).



History of Magic
By Lizeth Hallington
ww w.geocities.co m/lizeth_hal (take out the spaces)

Chapter 5 - This Means War

Consistency was one of the things Severus Snape valued most in life.

Albus' disturbing fondness for lemon drops... Potter's uncanny ability to rub him the wrong way... That glowy green thing at the bottom of his 54th cauldron that just wouldn't go away... those things were constant. He didn't like being taken by surprise, and usually took steps to prevent it.

Now, if Potter were, hypothetically, to give him a box of chocolates and proclaim his undying love one fine spring morning... Well, that would still rub him the wrong way, but that aside, it would also be an inconsistency that would lead to a number of heart attacks, ulcers, busted veins (and ludicrous tabloids)...

So all in all, consistency was a Good Thing for everyone involved.

DADA teachers, in contrast, were inconsistent. Granted, that wasn't all they were. Lockhart is particular had "Pretentious Git" and "National Idiot" stamped on his forehead (partially hidden under that ridiculous baby curl of his). Quirrel was labelled as "Cowardly Pawn". And Moody... who wasn't really Moody... had "Not-as-cowardly Pawn v2.0".

When Albus had announced that Lupin would be returning, Severus certainly hadn't been pleased (in fact, the elderly headmaster had been indirectly coerced into buying a new set of earplugs after that encounter), but the werewolf was, at least, familiar.

No, no new DADA prof this year...

Just Binns finally accepting his long overdue retirement.

And if that hadn't been enough of a wrench thrown into Snape's well-oiled world-view...

Albus had hired a punk. A real, honest to goodness, leather-adored, spikes and silver, hair-dyed punk. A punk who had been wandering around Knockturn Alley in the middle of the night doing Merlin-knows-what, taken on at least five men and gotten out without a scratch.

Snape narrowed his eyes. Oh yes, he'd need to have a talk with the headmaster soon, but in the meantime...

Yugi was listening politely to Madame Hooch when he felt an insistent tap on his shoulder. Turning, he found the resident potions master glaring down at him over a hooked nose.

"Might I have a word?" the older man demanded dangerously.

...In the meantime, he would crack the puzzle known as Yugi Mouto of Japan.



"Oi!" Ron nudged Harry in the ribs, eyes narrowing with suspicion.

When Harry turned, Ron pointed to the front of the hall, where Snape and the new HoM professor were standing up to leave.

"What do you think is up with that?" Ron whispered. "I mean, it's pretty obvious from Snape's reaction that they know each other somehow, and I'm not liking it. You think they're..."

"Are you kidding?" George said. "No one who looks that cool would ever side with Snape."

Harry tilted his head, squinting. "Snape definitely doesn't look happy."

"No kidding," Fred grinned. "Hey Harry, I thought he had that glare specially reserved for you!"

Harry's eyes flickered to the redhead. "Oh, thanks awfully," he drawled.

"C'mon, let's check it out," George said, nudging his twin, starting to stand.

"Hold it!" Hermione scolded. "Classes hasn't even started yet and you want to make trouble?"

There was a collective blink as the boys traded looks.

"Trouble?" George repeated, the picture of innocence. "Us?"

"Oh for..." Hermione trailed off, exasperated.

"Um... Herm..." Ron wheedled.

"Ron! You're a prefect now!" Hermione reminded him.

"Yeah, traitor," Fred muttered, glaring dramatically.

"Oh c'mon!" Ron exclaimed, earning a few stares from the others at the table.

Harry sighed as the situation dissolved into an argument, turning instead to the doorway where Snape and Mouto had disappeared through. Still... (his eyes narrowed) there was something off about the new HoM professor. He just hoped that whatever it was, it wouldn't spell trouble for him or his friends.



Yugi rubbed the bridge of his nose as he followed the black-haired professor out of the Great Hall. For some reason he was feeling more fatigued than he should be and a very fine pounding had started at his temples. Even his yami was being abnormally quiet.

All in all, he did not feel up for a round of Q&A, especially not by the grim-faced man in front of him.

"Look, professor..." Yugi started. The taller man turned around and glared, but Yugi merely sighed, having gotten used to Seto's glares. "Look, professor, is there something I can do for you?"

"What are you doing here?" Snape hissed, eyes narrowed into slits.

Yugi blinked. "I'm here to teach, of course."

"You can't expect me to believe that you're qualified-"

"I'm qualified!" Yugi insisted, taken aback by the other man's blunt accusations. "Maybe more than quallified-" he cut himself off abruptly, shaking his head. That wasn't something he wanted to get into.

Snape frowned, catching the odd slip. He studied the smaller man closely. "You're the man I met at Knockturn Alley."

"Yes..."

"Then what are you doing here?!"

Yugi frowned, his fatigue making him more edgy than usual. "This conversation seems to be taking on a remarkably circular route."

"Don't play games with me!" the other professor snapped warningly.

"I assure you, I'm not playing games," Yugi replied vehemently, disturbed by the man's mistrust. He backed up against the wall. Why was the man so upset over this? All he wanted to do was meet the headmaster, find his quarters and maybe catch some sleep. He was really starting to feel tired. "Now, if that's all-" Yugi slid away... or tried to.

Long, powerful fingers grabbed his cloak surprisingly quickly, keeping him in place. "We are not done yet."

"Oh, I think we are," Yami hissed as he took control, grabbing Snape's slender wrist. "You know, I was under the impression that you were a decent man. Perhaps I was mistaken." Crimson eyes narrowed and he squeezed the wrist in his grasp warningly. "Let me go."

"Who are you?" Snape insisted, grimacing.

"Yugi Mouto."

"That tells me nothing," the Slytherin spat.

"Who are you?" Yami ground out.

A harsh breath. "Severus Snape."

"That tells me equally nothing," Yami snorted.

The two glared at each other, matching in intensity and frigidness despite the obvious difference in height. Finally Snape released the cloak and Yami dropped his hand.

"I guess we'll have to see, then," the potions master said coldly and turned away, robes billowing around him.

/Yami?/ Yugi asked, reaching out to his other and relaxing under the answering thrum. He shook his head, staring after the black-clad professor with a troubled frown. /I still can't believe I was wrong about him./

//Maybe, maybe not// Yami sighed, straightening his cloak. //Too bad though... I think he would have made a valuable ally.//



It took a couple of tries (and directions from the portraits) before Yugi was able to locate the esteemed Headmaster's office... and even then...

/This is the place?/ Yugi asked, bewildered as he stood in front of a phoenix statue.

//That's what the portrait said. 'Phoenix statue at the end of the hall, you can't miss it',// Yami quoted.

/Uh.../

"Hello?" he asked timidly.

"Password?" whispered a voice and Yugi jumped.

"Huh? Oh! Um... Lifesavor?"

With a clang, the statue rose up, revealing a magnificently crafted spiral staircase.

/Whoa,/ Yugi muttered in awe as he watched. /That's not something you see everyday./

//You realise, though, that stairs are for not for staring?// Yami prompted, smiling.

/Oh, ha ha,/ Yugi retorted sarcastically but there was a trace of humour returning in his voice. Taking the steps two at a time, the young man soon found himself in front of a heavy wooden door and knocked politely.

"Headmaster?" Yugi called.

Surprisingly, the door creaked open on its own, reminding the young prof of a Western haunted house. /Mmm?/ He peaked his head in warily. "Hello?"

The Headmaster's office was amazing. It was filled with memorabilia, some of them tinkering away for some unknown purpose. Shelves were covered to the brim with little gizmos and gadgets. The walls were lined with portraits of previous headmasters and headmistresses, most of them nodding sleepily. One, however, waved and smiled encouragingly, bidding him to enter.

"Me?" Yugi mouthed, pointing to himself.

The portrait nodded and beckoned again.

Hesitantly, Yugi stepped in, and almost instantly stepped back again, hands clutching his head as a wave of magic slammed against him. /Aw!/

Over the years, he and Yami had been learning to harness the Shadows, and his senses, unsurprisingly, had grown sharper as well. Right now they were overloading with the amount of unfamiliar magic in the room, sending the young man reeling in shock. He'd felt the magic before, of course, in Diagon Alley, and again in the Great Hall, but it was never so strong as this. He winced, rubbing his temples.

Yami only acknowledged him vaguely, focusing instead on blocking off some of the overflow of magic. His own Shadows lashed out wildly, instinctively fighting off the onslaught of foreign magic. The lights flickered and any other magically dependent items seemed to freeze for an for an instant, before the spirit reigned his powers in and found his balance.

/Mmm.../ Yugi groaned, taking a deep, steadying breath.

//Better, Aibou?//

/Yeah, thanks,/ Yugi said, recognising the stubble shield his yami had placed around them. /But it's going to be tiring to keep a shield up all the time./

//Iie, we'll only need to keep it up for a few days or so, until we get used to Hogwarts' magic. After a while we probably won't notice it at all.//

Yugi sighed in relief. /Good. I'd hate to teach class with a perpetual headache. You okay supporting the shields?/

//Yes,// was the prompt reply, but Yugi could sense the undercurrent of weariness.

Violet eyes narrowed worriedly. /Yaaaammiii.../

//I'm alright, aibou. Hontoni.//

Yugi huffed in exasperation, poking lightly at the link between them. /Your headache's bigger than mine! And I've got to say, that's quite a feat considering you don't have a head of your own./

//...I'm not sure I like that implication.//

Yugi snickered. /Shut up. That's not what I meant./

//And what exactly did you mean?// was the dry reply.

/Stop being pigheaded and let me help./

//I thought you said I didn't have a head?//

/Yami!/ Yugi pouted in annoyance.

A hastily suppressed smirk. //I'm fine, aibou// Yami insisted, vaguely aware of how childish he sounded.

/Are not,/ Yugi countered, and pulled at the root of the shields, feeding some of his own energies in.

//Yugi-//

/C'mon, you really want to argue about who has the bigger headache?/

...

//...Stubborn.//

/Look who's talking,/ Yugi jibbed good-naturedly.

Yami merely crossed his arms and assumed a regal pose, arching an eyebrow haughtily. Yugi laughed quietly.

Suddenly, the room was filled with a sweet sounding song, wrapping Yugi in a blanket of warmth and easing the weariness both halves felt.

/Kami, what is that?/ Almost unconsciously, Yugi moved towards the sound, stepping deeper into the office. With their shields in place, he spared a glance to take a closer look at all the objects scattered around the room.

//By the desk...// Yami noted, and Yugi turned accordingly.

On a golden perch rested a red and golden bird, head held regally. It cracked its beak in an imitation of a smile and trilled another short tune. The bird's eyes shone with keen intelligence and old wisdom.

Yugi gasped wonderingly. "You're beautiful!"

The bird actually preened at the praise, fluffing up his plumage and causing Yugi to laugh. Grinning, he raised an arm in invitation.

Fawkes accepted good-naturedly, flying over with a brisk flap of his wings to perch on the offered arm, rubbing his head against the man's cheek.

"Are you a phoenix?" the Japanese asked, his tone curious. Yugi stroked the feathers gently, marvelling at the soft coolness of the feathers despite their fiery appearance.

Fawkes ignored the question, bursting into another trilling song instead. Yugi's heart felt warmer just listening to it.

//Bennu, the eternal soul of Ra...// Yami trailed off, sounding slightly awed. In Egyptian lore, Bennu was the bird of rebirth, embodied in the rising and setting of the sun and known, among other things, for its exceedingly beautiful songs. At any given point, there could only be one phoenix in the world, living for 500 years before it died and a new phoenix was born from its ashes. To find the fire-bird here, at Hogwarts, was a bit of a shock.

The phoenix trilled in acknowledgement.

Yugi's eyes widened. "You can hear him?"

Fawkes trilled again affirmatively.

//You are far from your homeland...// Yami noted, subdued.

Fawkes gave them a pointed look, ruffling his feathers.

The spirit sighed and Yugi nudged him worriedly. /Yami?/

//Where is the headmaster?// Yami queried suddenly, shaking off the nostalgia.

The phoenix cracked another smile at the two, silent.

"I see Fawkes has taken a liking to you," Albus remarked, climbing down the stairs from his observatory.

Yugi jumped and turned to the voice. "Headmaster!" Hastily he bowed in apology (as well as he could with the bird on his arm). "The portrait said I could come in-"

"Yes, yes, don't worry my boy," the old headmaster assured and raised his arm. Fawkes leapt off Yugi's arm and settled on Dunbledore's shoulder obediently. Stroking the phoenix's chest, the headmaster moved to sit at his desk. "Well, it looks like you've earned Fawkes' approval. That speaks very well of you," the headmaster noted.

Yugi coughed uncomfortably. "He's a very beautiful bird."

"That he is," Dumbledore smiled. "Please, sit," he gestured to a chair and Yugi gratefully accepted.

"Now, I suppose we should let you get settled in, shall we? But I'm afraid our deputy headmistress has given you a number of forms to fill first..."

"Forms?"

"Yes," the old headmaster looked amused. "Apparently she was quite put off by the fact that you have yet to submit your syllabus."

The foreign teacher laughed nervously. "Oh that..."

"Yes, that," Dumbledore repeated, looking amused. "Lemon drop?"

Yugi, on his part, was starting to look a little dazed. "Er... no thank you."

The old man shrugged and sighed, popping one into his mouth. "Right, now, where were those forms...?" he mumbled cheerfully, ruffling through the countless drawers at his desk. Soon, an odd assortment of papers, scrolls and... socks? had started to collect on the polished oak desk. "Hmmm! I've been looking for that!" the headmaster noted quietly to himself, amazed, then continued his search.

The Japanese prof watched in bewildered silence for a moment, deep in thought, before raising his voice to speak. "Headmaster..." Yugi blurted uncertainly and winced.

"Yes?" Dumbledore prompted, ever patient.

"I have been wondering for some time..." Yugi sighed, twiddling his thumbs nervously, then looked the older man in the eye. "Out of all the qualified wizards you could've hired for the job, why hire me?"

Dumbledore, stopped his search and smiled, eyes twinkling kindly. "I suppose I could have hired any wizard if I'd wanted to."

The foreigner blinked. "Headmaster?"

"Mr. Mouto... Despite whatever the staff might say about my choice concerning you, I believe it was a rather innovative decision." The headmaster's eyes twinkled. "British wizards are far too set in their ways, I'm afraid. A new perspective would be rather refreshing."

Yugi shuffled absently, eyes distant. "I see."

"And you'll have to forgive Severus..."

Yugi's head shot up. "You saw that?"

The old headmaster chuckled. "There is very little that goes on in this school without my knowledge. My potions master waylaying the new, foreign professor was hardly something I could miss. Severus doesn't enjoy surprises, and you managed to surprise him quite thoroughly, from what I gathered in the Great Hall. Don't take it as a slight against your abilities, Yugi."

The Game King cracked a grin. "I guess I'll just have to watch my step around him then."

"See that you do," the headmaster replied good-naturedly, but there was a hint of a forewarning in his voice. "Do you regret accepting the position?"

"What? No! Not at all. It's just been a bit overwhelming, that's all."

"Ah. How are you dealing, by the way?"

The young man sighed wryly. "Frankly?"

"Of course."

"Your magic is giving me a headache," he blurted, then blushed as he realised how offensive that might sound. "I mean-"

Dumbledore merely chuckled jovially. "Yes, I supposed it might take some getting used to. I apologise, I should have realised that your senses could only be bombarded with so much foreign magic at once. I won't keep you. Here..." he said, handing the younger man a sheaf of papers. "Please return them to Minerva's office sometime tomorrow. I'm sure someone will give you directions."

Then, walking over to the fireplace, Dumbledore stuck his head in the fire (causing Yugi to jump in horror) and called for someone named Dobby to come up. When the headmaster turned, Yugi was smiling shakily at him.

A poof! later and a diminutive creature with impossibly large eyes and pointed ears was staring at Yugi curiously.

"Yugi, this is Dobby, one of the free house-elves working at Hogwarts. He'll show you to your rooms."

Dobby grinned, raising his tea-cosy in salute. "Ev'ning Yugi Mouto, sir!"

"Er... hi!" Yugi blinked back.

"This way! This way, Professor Mouto!" Dobby nodded, and scampered towards the doors.

Dumbledore watched with amusement, steeping his fingers together. "Mr. Mouto, one more thing?" he called and Yugi looked back expectantly. "If you would, please refrain from wearing silver? A colleague of yours is rather violently allergic to it and I daresay you'll make him wary around you otherwise."

Blink. "Who?"

Another smile. "You'll meet him soon enough, my boy."



"This way Professor Mouto, sir!" the house elf chirped, running ahead lightly. "Follow Dobby!"

Yugi followed at a more sedate pace, a smile forming at the corner of his lips.

"Professor Mouto will like his room. Dobby and Winky worked hard to get the room clean for Professor Mouto, sir!"

"Is that so?" Yugi asked lightly.

"Yes! Dobby washed the windows and cleaned the floor and the tables and the chairs. Winky did the sheets and the carpet and- Why is Professor Mouto staring at Dobby like that?"

Yugi chuckled lightly. "You remind me of someone, that's all."

"Professor Mouto has a house-elf?" Dobby asked wide-eyed, and straightened his tea-cosy.

A suspicious sounding cough. "Not a house-elf, no."

Yami snickered quietly in his room, reading his partner's thoughts. //I'm not sure the Celtic Guardian would be too thrilled with the comparison, aibou...//

/Can I help what I think?/

"Oh," Dobby continued, frowning. "Does Dobby remind Professor Mouto of a friend?"

Glancing down at the house-elf, the young man smiled kindly. "Yes, Dobby, a good and faithful friend."

After a moment, Dobby nodded his large and awkward head. "Then Dobby is happy to be reminding Professor Mouto of a friend."

Yugi watched the elf scamper off with mixed emotions. /He seems so childish! ...A bit like the Watcher, actually,/ the hikari observed, walking peacefully after the chattering creature.

//Aa...// Yami agreed, frowning.

/Yami? What's wrong?/

//...Nothing. Just thinking about something...//

"Here is Professor Mouto's room!" Dobby announced, startling Yugi out of his reverie. Glancing up, Yugi realised that he hadn't been paying much attention to their route, and would probably have a heck of a time finding his rooms again later. He groaned quietly.

Dobby, however, took it the wrong way.

"Professor Mouto is unhappy with his room?" Dobby squeaked.

"No! That's not... I haven't even- Dobby..." Yugi rubbed his forehead tiredly. "Dobby, why don't you open the door first and show me my room?"

The creature blinked. "Okay?"

"Good," Yugi said, gesturing to the portrait. "If you would."

The elf straightened his socks and walked slightly shakily towards the painting. "Disequillibrium!" announced Dobby importantly and the portrait swung open. Yugi snorted slightly at the password. No kidding.

Stepping into the room, Yugi almost laughed. The room was decorated in a picturesque, traditional Japanese style, with rice-paper walls and lanterns. There was a little stone fountain in the corner, bubbling merrily and at least three bonsai trees scattered in the area. The floor had been charmed to look like wood and the tables were low. It looked like it had been cut-and-pasted out of a travel brochure.

All in all, though, it was very... serene. Certainly a welcome change from all the sand he'd seen in Egypt and all the rain he'd seen in the last two months.

Yugi smirked. Now, how long it would stay serene and picturesque was another matter entirely.

Dobby was waiting nervously, shifting from foot to foot and wringing his hands.

"I love it," Yugi assured him, unclasping his cloak and draping it on the coat hanger. He walked to the center of the room and turned in one full circle. "Thank you Dobby."

"Professor Mouto is happy?" Dobby asked.

"Yeah... and please all me 'Yugi', would you? I'm not used to the professor thing yet."

"Pr- Mister Yugi is liking the room?"

"Yes, Dobby!" Yugi chided, smiling, "Don't worry so much. Really, I..." he raked his mind, trying to find some way to assure the house-elf of his sincerity. "Look, I'll give you a thank-you gift, for doing such a good job."

"A thank-you gift, Mister Yugi, sir?"

"Sure," Yugi affirmed, and stroked his chin. What did house-elves go for anyway? What had Dumbledore said? A free house-elf? He wracked his brain for knowledge on wizarding culture and snapped his fingers. "You... you like clothes?"

"Oh yes sir! Dobby has five whole socks, and even a sweater, sir!"

"Hmm..." Yugi said, playfully thoughtful. Suddenly he had a ridiculous image of Dobby in one of his leather shirts, bogged down with buckles and belts, and almost burst out laughing. His pinched the bridge of his nose, suppressing his mirth. Gods, no, that won't do at all... What about...

He smiled. "Hey, Dobby, how would you like something a little more... frivolous...?"



Later that night

Yugi chuckled quietly to himself as he remembered the wider-eyed-than-usual look on Dobby's face, and flopped tiredly face-first on the bouncy bed (the only western piece of furniture in his quarters).

//Honestly Aibou... you're giving those creatures such ideas...// Yami chided, contrary to the grin he was sporting.

/But they fit him so well!/ Yugi crowed.

Yami snorted quietly, materialising silently on the edge of the bed. The mattress didn't dip. There was no new weight to support. Eyeing his giggling hikari in fond exasperation, the darker half rolled his eyes. //Go to sleep, Aibou.//

Yugi smirked. /Yes mother!/ he chirped and quickly ducked the pillow that had been sent flying of its own accord. /Ha! Missed!/

The next pillow hit him dead on.



Elsewhere...

Harry shut his eyes, face pained.

Around him, the mist curled and twisted in unrecognisable patterns, somehow muffling the air... making it heavy.

Not again... Harry pleaded silent. I don't want to see it again.

The nightmare was nothing new, but every time it played out in his mind, he couldn't change it... couldn't get used to it. He didn't want to get used to it.

So he shut it eyes, and waited.

...And waited.

...And...

Opened them.

"Cedric?" he called hesitantly, warily. This wasn't the way it usually went. No green light. No voices. No... spare.

Spinning in a circle, he re-evaluated his surroundings.

Mist... check.

Foreboding atmosphere...check.

...but where was Tom Riddle's tombstone?

And where was Cedric? Wormtail? ...Voldemort?

"Hello?!" he called again, an apprehensive note in his voice. He started walking, the mist curling around his legs. He didn't know how long it took, time was irrelevant here, but when he stopped he was on a hill above the reach of the mist.

As far as the eye could see, in every direction... tombstones.

Was he still dreaming?

"Anyone?" he whispered, clenching his fists.

An endless graveyard.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Harry Potter, sir! Harry Potter, sir!"

Harry groaned and stuffed his face into the pillow.

"Harry Potter, sir, please! Dobby just needs a minute!"

Mmmrrfff...

"Dobby?" Harry muttered groggily, groping for his glasses. "W-what are you doing? It's the middle of the night! I need to get up for classes tomorrow."

Silence, then a squeek.

"D-Dobby is sorry, sir! Dobby was just think- thinking..." Sounds of shuffling, then, "Bad Dobby! Disturbing Harry Potter when he's sleeping!"

Clang! "Bad!" Clang!

Aaarrggg.... Harry groaned, listening to the tell-tale signs of Dobby banging his head on the bedpost.

Clang! Clang! CLANG!

"Mrrah! Shaddup!" a sleepy voice called from one of the other beds.

Rolling over, Harry sighed and sat up straight, cracking his eyes open. Crawling over, he pried the diminutive elf away from the bedpost. "No, no, it's fine Dobby, really! I'm up! I'm up! Not disturbed at all."

Dobby had a very effective way of guilt-tripping a person into submission. Harry didn't know if the elf was conscious of it or not... Dobby'd certainly proven himself to be capable of manipulation if his attempts to "save" Harry Potter in his second year counted for anything... and then the fact that he had been serving the Malfoys for who knows how long before then...

Harry ran a hand through his hair and sighed, brows furrowing contemplatively. Actually, come to think of it, he was vaguely glad Dobby had woken him... but he just couldn't remember why...

"Harry Potter is sure Dobby is not disturbing?" Dobby asked in a small voice, his thin lips trembling.

"Yes, Harry Po- I'm sure," he grumbled and rubbed his eyes. "What's-" A huge yawn. "-The emergency?"

Dobby opened his mouth, looked guilty, and then headed for the bedpost again.

"Hey- hey! Dobby, stop that! No more punishments!" Harry said hastily, keeping hold of the elf's arm. "You know I don't like it when you do that. Honestly, I leave for one summer and you regress," he joked.

"Yes sir, Harry Potter sir..." Dobby squeaked.

"What did you want to tell me?" Harry prompted hastily, hoping to avert another spectacle.

Dobby shifted nervously on the bed sheets. "Dobby is wanting to say 'welcome back' to Harry Potter."

Harry stared and shut his eyes for in instant. That's it?! Couldn't it wait until morning? he thought grouchily, covering another enormous yawn.

"Thank you, Dobby," he said instead, trying to keep the irritation out of his voice.

"Dobby is also wanting to give Harry Potter this!" he continued, shoving a white bundle at the boy. "Is from the kitchen! Dobby made himself. Is pumpkin pie and tarts and cherry cheesecake and-"

"Whooa!" Harry interrupted, shaking his head in an attempt to dislodge his sleepiness. He eyed the bag of food. "You made all this for me?"

"Yes, sir!" Dobby confirmed, "In case Harry Potter and friends is hungry at night. Not have to walk to kitchen... but Dobby would still be very happy if Harry Potter came to visit Dobby if Harry Potter has time!"

"I... err..." Harry stuttered. "Er... thanks Dobby."

"Harry Potter likes Dobby's present?"

"Yeah," Harry said truthfully. "You didn't have to. This is really nice of you."

"Dobby is wanting to." Dobby beamed, smile stretching so far across he features Harry thought his face might crack. "Dobby is glad!" Then he jumped to his feet. "Dobby must be going now. Dobby must not be seen."

Harry blinked in confusion. Oh, that's right. A light bulb went on. Elves are not to be seen or heard unless called upon. He wouldn't have been able to give me this in daytime!

And that made it all the more significant.

Harry smiled gently. "Thanks again, Dobby," the teen repeated, clutching the bundle. "I mean it."

And poof the house-elf disappeared.

Harry stared for a moment more at the spot the creature had been, before crawling over to the edge of his bed and placing the bundle of food in his trunk, closing the lid tightly.

Sighing, he crawled back under the covers and squirmed into a comfortable position, placing his glasses on the bedside table. Closing his eyes, he fell asleep almost instantly, lulled by the familiarity and comfort of being home.



"Earrings!" Harry exclaimed as he bolted upright in bed.

Ron, who was currently hanging off his bed in a half-hearted attempt to get up, tumbled to the floor with a thud.

"Aw, Harry!" the redhead complained, rubbing his head. "What are you on about?"

"Dobby was wearing gold earrings," the other boy blabbed, sounding bewildered.

Ron, now up on his elbows, favoured his best friend with a disgruntled look. "Are you still asleep, mate?"

Harry blinked. "Maybe," he answered faintly then actually turned to look at his friend. A pause. "...What are you doing on the floor?"

"Looking for daisies!" Ron growled, sounding none-too-friendly.

Harry slowly grinned then yawned, covering his mouth with a hand. "You're right," he agreed, "I'm still asleep," and plopped back on the pillows, eyes closing blissfully.

"Oh no you don't!" Ron threatened as he scrambled to his feet and beaned the black-haired boy in the face with a pillow.

Spluttering, Harry's eyes narrowed and he tossed pillow blindly in Ron's general direction.

"Your aim is terribl- oof!" Ron spat around a mouth full of pillow.

Harry had put his glasses on.

"Cripes, can't a guy get any sleep around here?!" Dean groaned groggily and was prompted answered by a fluffy projectile to the head. He bolted upright. "Okay, that's it!" he warbled, voice still throaty with sleep. "This means war!"

Harry grabbed another pillow and shook his head, pushing out the ridiculous image of Dobby with golden accessories ornamenting his large, pointed ears. He must've been hallucinating.

After all, where on earth would the elf have gotten such things?

TBC



End Notes: A nybble is half of a byte. ^_^ Okay, sorry, that was random. Nybble is my new word for the day. **shrugs** What can I say, I like language... as long as it's used creatively. :P

Anyway, more "creatures" in this chapter. Yugi's gonna have a real affinity for them, considering his experiences with duel monsters, so don't be surprised if they creep up out of the woodwork just to meet him. And yes, I used the movie version of Dumbledore's office. I've got a better mental image of it.

**grins** That's right, Harry was dreaming of THE Graveyard, Yugioh style. ;)

**groans** Anyway, I'm gonna go lie down now. Threw my back figure skating yesterday. Gotta get my skates sharpened before I try any more jumps. **wobbles off** Crap crap crap.

Thanks to:

Ami of Destiny, Blood Aura, Catalyst of Light, Cody Saoyrn, Curtis Zidane Ziraa, d, futago akuma-tenshi01, gpeowyn, Joshua Eide, Lethe Seraph, Neko Moon Goddess, MistyStarlight, r, Rayven, Sailor Comet, SilverLily aka Blood Moon, smilez, Target Zero, TJ, vmr, Western Master and whisper*2*imaginary.

Akina Tori: **grins** You think I have a high vocab? Thanks. ;)

Alana Hikari-Chan: Gee, you really like that picture huh? **grins** Well, I did end up writing For the Game, which, I believe, you've already reviewed. It's not that I'm trying to ignore dear 'Kura-chan, it's just that Yugi's been demanding a story of his own (and in case you didn't know, ITN? was originally written with Yugi as the transfer student... you should read the draft, it's awful :P). **chuckles** Actually, Seto demanded a story too, hense Bank Blues. I dunno what's gonna happen when Malik comes a-knocking... ... ... Which is a lie, yes I do know, but I'm trying to put if off. ^_^()
Oh!! Quatre-chan! I haven't seen you in ages! **Quat backs up nervously**

Aneko: Saw that coming did you? ^_^ I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Maybe I should work harder to try and take you by surprise? :P

Autumn Ann: He probably will sommon a monster eventually. Just wait for it. ;)

BakaNeko-Chan: **Imitates Warner Bros. Tweety Bird** I did! I did try to update fast!

benign sadist: No, actually, not really random. I have been reading police procedural novels, so it might come off as similar to CSI. ^_^ **snortlaughs** Yeah, I suppose Snape's gonna have his hands full with those two. **snickers quietly**

Chibizoo: Hmmm... I think the Watcher took off at the mention of kalimari... ^_^() Anyway, thanks for the review!

Embient: No, probably no couplings. x_x I can't write romance to save my life and it usually just complicates the plot. Too many things to keep straight in my head... @_@

Herald-Mage Brianna: Sorry! I'll try to get his first class going next chapter!

hinotama: Ah, French. Nope, took that last term. Taking Mandarin this term. ^_^ I'm glad I managed to convince you that Yugi teaching is a viable option. ;) I hope you'll keep reading.

hobbit13: **evil grin** Oh, I'm sure my Watcher would try to eat people too, if anyone tried to enter Hogwarts unannounced. Meanwhile, the Squid's just had encounters with teachers and students, both of which its supposed to protect.

hoshi-tachi: I know what you mean. There was that one mention of the Squid saving Dennis Creevy in SS, but even that was very easy to overlook. @_@ But I'm hoping possessions aren't common in the wizarding world, despite how common as it is in the Yugioh one.

Jenniyah: Thanks! Yeah, older Yugi's out there... but he's usually depressed or jaded or evil... o_0 **shrugs**

Kaira-chan: It's updated! Hope I didn't dissapoint.

Kaiyana: Isis? **raises an eyebrow** That's new. Other people have suggested that Bakura sub for divination but I've gotten nothing on Isis.

Missq: **Sweatdrops** Sorry. I'll try to get around to ITN, but the plot bunnies are more active elsewhere right now.

MRiddle433: SQUEE!! I got hugged by four bishies! **glomps back**
Bakura: **sounding strained** For the love of Ra...!

Mercedes no Inuarai: Hey, you ended up reviewing all four chapters! It always impresses me when people do that...

Nek0-chan: O_o It ate your review?! That's not very nice... especially considering how much you type. T_T **laughs** I spy, with my little eye, a yaoi fangirl on the loose. **shrugs** Anyway, I'll try to keep the Yami/Yugi interaction up. The watcher will pop up later... **sigh** Oh, such a short reply for such a long review. x_x Oh well, thanks!

Pastbye: **grins** Defintitely a faithful reader. Thanks! **chuckles** Oh, our white-haired wonder will certainly turn heads, should he choose to appear at Hogwarts... for totally different reasons between Ryou and Bakura though . ^_^

Ranma Higurashi: Okay, I admit, I forgot to address the issue of muggle-borns recognising Yugi, but for my purposes, no on will... as of yet. It has been roughly 6 years since Battle City and Yugi pretty much dropped out of the limelight after that.

Rath: No, no pairings as of yet, although a number of people have been asking for Yami/Yugi. **cuddles the dust bunnies** I'm so proud of them. ;) ...Achoo!

Sarah: I hope you caught the little indirect explanation as to why the candles flickered.

Seventh Sage: Hey, so you did end up reviewing all four chapters! I get worried when people review three... then there's a gap between the third and the fourth where I wonder "is he/she still reading?!".

Shinnyu Kudzu: **laughs** No... just shonen-ai hints... but if there's enough demand I might so a yaoi side-story.

The Chaotic Ones: **gives Aries a bag of cookies** I luv you too, dear reader! ;)
Ah, but will Voldie go after the Items? Or is there another approach he can take? **cackles malevolently**

The-Kurisutaru: I certainly hope it's somewhat original and I'd like to see how many "original" scenes I can throw in before the story is through. The teacher angle certainly gives me a number of new options. Open interpretation was the idea behind the Yami/Yugi scene. I doubt I'll ever write an explicit yaoi scene, but I try to keep the yaoi fans happy without making the non-yaoi fans uncomfortable. Thanks for the review!

Tuulikki: **grins** You seem to be one of the few people who looked at the pic... or if others did... most didn't comment on it. Thanks.
Yay! People liked the Squid! **laughs** Strange concept there... I think they might even like the squid more than the dust bunnies... but at least that means that I must've done something right. :D **sigh** I just remembered I forgot to address the issue of anyone recognising Yugi as Game King. Can I get that helicopter now?
Anyway, thanks for the correction and the long review. **hugz** Laterz!

Vathara: Oh yes, they are different principles of magic... although hopefully you'll get to see a couple similarities later on.

Vulcana: Thanks! Glad you liked my webpage too.

Windswift: **chuckles** Geez, I'm glad the youngest of my sibs is 10 years old. Ah, the nitrogen pellets were a spur of the moment thing inspired by a "Heritage Canada" moment. If you don't know what those are, they're little TV commericals with clips of Canada's history. I'm not even sure the concept is right, but apparently nitrogen can be highly explosive... and I'm assuming that's when it's mixed with something else, 'cause a lot of the earth's atmosphere is composed of nitrogen gas... otherwise we'd all have gone SPLAT by now. Anyway, increasing the amount of nitrogen percentage in the air would also decrease the oxygen content (duh) and since it's colourless and ordourless, I dunno if you'd notice what it was doing until you started having problems breathing. Liquid nitrogen is freezing and burns the skin. **shrugs** Number of things you can hypothetically do with it. If a chem major would like to correct me on that, feel free.

WhiteLightning: Actually, yeah, I am kidding about the dust bunnies. ^_^() ...I never vaccum them anyway.

ACK! That took a long time! I know I've probably missed a few people. Please don't take it personally? @_@ **hugs** I luv you anywaaaaayyyy!!! 1

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws