|
|
Laskar
Jihad Sets Conditions on Pull-out
|
Laksamana.Net
May
15,
2002 10:49 AM |
Laksamana.Net -
The Laskar Jihad Muslim militia group says it will pull out of
Ambon only if two conditions are met.
These are that Muslims in the area are guaranteed protection by
the military and police and if the South Maluku Republic (RMS)
movement is disbanded.
Ayip Syafruddin, leader of the National Communication Forum Ahlus
Sunnah Wal Jamaah (FKAWJ), the formal grouping to which the Laskar
Jihad belongs, made the promise at its congress in Jakarta.
The congress was opened Monday (13/5/02) by Vice President Hamzah
Haz, who said the government would disband the RMS group, after
which the Laskar Jihad would have to leave Maluku.
Meanwhile the regional commander in Ambon, Brig. Gen. Mustopo, has
already begun to provide excuses for the Laskar Jihad’s
continuing presence in the area, saying many of its members have
established strong roots in the area through their involvement in
social programs.
National police chief General Dai Bachtiar said a way to get the
Laskar Jihad out of Maluku would be found.
The comments suggest that action on the demand by Coordinating
Security Minister Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono for an end to the
involvement of the two groups will be a lengthy process.
Haz’s high profile among radical Muslim groups continues to
create political waves, with analysts differing over how far his
stance is a challenge to President Megawati Sukarnoputri on the
issue of radical Islam.
His one-and-a-half-hour visit to jailed Laskar Jihad leader Jafar
Umar Thalib last week brought criticism from some leaders that he
risked being seen as trying to influence the handling of the case
by police.
|