The Kincaid House
The oldest part of Kincaid House, which is now a hotel, dates from about 1690. The greater part of the present building, however, was constructed around 1812, to the designs of the same David Hamilton who was responsible, at a later date, for Lennox Castle. David Hamilton�s work at Kincaid can be seen in the eastern block of the hotel, and is said to have been inspired by the Castle of Inveraray, Argyllshire. This block has a central staircase, a tower, and four corner turrets. It was the first building of any significance built by David Hamilton, and began an association between the architect and the Kincaid family which was to last for thirty years.
When Lennox Castle was complete and ready for occupation, Kincaid House became surplus to the requirements of the united Kincaid Lennox family. Accordingly, in January 1841, the house was advertised for let in the columns of the Glasgow Herald. The family nevertheless retained it in their possession until 1921, when William George Peareth Kincaid Lennox sold it to Robert Walker Raphael. Who had been in occupancy, as a tenant, from the early years of the twentieth century. Mr. Raphael was a native of Northern Ireland, his father having been a linen manufacturer in Bellymena. He came over to Glasgow and found employment in the offices of Messrs P. Henderson & Co., managing owners of the Henderson Line, who ran a service of steamers from Glasgow to Rangoon. He married the daughter of John Galloway, senior partner in the firm. The Raphael family lived in Saltcoats for a time before moving to Kincaid House. Mrs. Raphael was awarded the MBE in 1920 in recognition of her work in France during the First World War. Both Mr. and Mrs. Raphael were interested in religious matters, and for a time after Mr. Raphael�s death in 1953 Band of Hope meetings were held in what is now the restaurant of the hotel. Local children enjoyed their Sunday School trips in a large field in front of Kincaid House.
In 1949 the Kirkintilloch Herald reported that Alexander Ross, wine merchant, of Dovehill House, Uphall, had been refused a license certificate for an inn and hotel at Kincaid House. His application had been turned down partly on the grounds that it was on the fringe of the �dry� areas of Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch. By 1951, however, Mr. Ross had acquired both the hotel and a license. Later, due to ill health, he was forced to sell the hotel. Various brewers have owned the hotel in recent years, but since 1988, it has been in the ownership of Peter McIntyre and John M. Thomson.
To see more about the Kincaid House, or even plan a trip to stay there, go to www.Kincaidhouse.com .