Until Then

A/N: The challenge was to write a story in which Firenze did something nice for Snape.

Disclaimer: Harry Potter, Severus Snape, Firenze, and all their associates are characters belonging to J.K. Rowling. I claim no rights to them, their surroundings, or their situations. Much to my sorrow.

Until Then

---

As the staff room cleared, Firenze waited, as usual, for his two-legged counterparts to exit before he made for the door. He tended to get in their way, otherwise--or vice versa, depending on how one looked at it.

He noted, however, that one figure did not move when the rest stood and bid one another a pleasant day. Professor Snape remained at the table, toying absently with his teacup and looking, Firenze thought, rather more subdued and careworn than usual.

The centaur paused. It was always a delicate matter, choosing what to say to his human associates. He knew a good deal more than they realized--simple observation often told him much that could not be read in the skies--and it was all too easy to let slip things better left unspoken.

Still, he thought that he perhaps ought to say something to Snape. The war was not going well. The signs indicated that things would not get better in the near future; quite the opposite. And Severus Snape stood, not at the center of the disturbances, but very near to it.

He was overdue for a summons--to what, exactly, Firenze wasn't sure. But this man courted danger that most of the others could not guess at, and it left its mark upon him, for those with eyes to see.

The human fear of death was a puzzle to his kind--an affront, almost; though Firenze had lived among them long enough now to have gained some understanding. Its aura was quite unique; and though usually it went unnoticed (by necessity, lest they swiftly go mad,) it was always with them. Always.

Snape, however, was only too keenly aware of his own fear. Whatever he might be called upon to do this night, Firenze was quite certain that the man did not expect to see the sun rise.

He pondered the problem for a few moments, and then made his way around the table to his colleague's side. It was a mark of the Potions Master's distress that he did not notice the centaur's approach until Firenze's shadow fell over him, throwing him into darkness.

He looked up with a start, teacup rattling; his dark, fatigue-smudged eyes widened slightly as he took in the sight of the centaur looming over him. "Firenze--forgive me; I didn't hear you." The pureblood's reflexive aversion to half-humans was visible, flickering just beneath the surface; but to Snape's credit, his demeanor was impeccably courteous. Intelligent man, if nothing else. "Can I help you with something?"

Firenze tilted his head slightly to one side, considering. Then he shook his head. "No, Severus Snape. I only wished to say--I will see you tomorrow."

Snape blinked, nonplused for a moment. Firenze took the opportunity to bow slightly and make his escape.

"Oh," he heard Snape say quietly, and smiled as he ducked to pass through the doorway.

It seemed a small thing; but from where he stood, the stars, too, appeared small.

Comment


<< Last Fic | Back to Index | Next Fic >>

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1