Anybody Listening?

A/N: The challenge was to write a 100-word drabble inspired by a song. I actually wound up writing two about the same song--Queensryche's Anybody Listening?

Disclaimer: Harry Potter, Arthur Weasley, Cornelius Fudge, Draco Malfoy, and all their associates are characters belonging to J.K. Rowling. I claim no rights to them, their surroundings, or their situations. Much to my sorrow.

I: The Words They're Selling

---

"Arthur, I won't listen to another word. Continue to make unfounded allegations about our colleagues, and you can kiss your career good-bye."

Cornelius Fudge left the tiny office with an air of finality that Arthur knew too well.

Fudge had finally admitted that Voldemort was back. But, Arthur thought, what good has it done? At least seven Death Eaters held sensitive Ministry positions, but the man had reverted to type, refusing to re-examine their cases.

"Is there anybody listening?" he wondered aloud, dropping a folder full of evidence into the dust bin. "Is there anyone that sees what's going on?"

---

II: Leaving All I Loved Behind

"Malfoy?" Harry looked, bewildered, from the still, cooling form of the father to the son, unable to grasp the obvious. "What's happened?" He paused. "Are...are you all right?"

Draco swallowed with difficulty. "I--had to make a choice or two."

After a moment's hesitation, Harry knelt beside him and carefully pried the wand from his white-knuckled grip. He didn't seem to know what to say.

It was all right; Draco knew what was coming. Inquiries, a trial...his life under lights and judging eyes.

He shut his own eyes. "I can't believe," he whispered, "I've spent so long living lies..."

Comment


<< Last Fic | Back to Index | Next Fic >>

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1