Love is Forever - Even Though Some Never Seem to Realize it!

Disclaimer: Everything belongs to David E. Kelley & Co., nothing�s mine... That is, there IS something that belongs to me: Fray and all the employees of Watson and McBeal (minus Ally of course) are in fact MINE!!! Hehe.
Summary: After having stayed in Detroit for three years after he left Ally, Larry moved with Sam to New York, right next door to a certain Miss McBeal and her � now very cute 14-year-old � daughter!
Pairing: Larry/Ally
Notes: This is my very first Ally McBeal Fanfiction, so PLEASE be gentle! I�m German and still go to school, so I�m not very good with English either, so there may be THAUSANTS and billions of mistakes.... sorry... hope you like it all the same!!!! *^_^*
Feedback: P-L-E-A-S-E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*~*~*

�Yes, I know. It�s impossible!� Ally smiled with pride, holding the receiver close to her ear. �No, Georgia. She says it! Always. She calls me Mom, always. Can you believe it?� Ally babbled exited, shifting on the couch to make herself more comfortable. �I can�t remember one day here in New York that she called me Ally. Not one. Isn�t it amazing?�

�I�m happy for you.� Ally could her Georgia Thomas smile while saying it, but she kept a sad tone in her voice. Right. Billy and her never had the chance to have kids on their own...

�I�m sorry Georgia, I didn�t mean to offend....�

�It�s okay.� She interrupted, her voice sounding more cheery than before, but suddenly she could hear a loud bang in the background of Ally�s home, making the neurotic blonde shriek and jump from her place on the sofa. �What happened?� She called towards the ceiling.

�My books fell out of the shelf! Nothing serious, I�m okay!� It replied in Maddie�s voice, yelling from the second floor of their Penthouse in Manhattan, New York City.

�Oh.� Ally sighed, looking at her clock. �I�m sorry Georgia, I�m gonna get to work soon and fix Maddie�s breakfast and...� Ally said in her famous run-on-sentence.

�S�okay, I have to go, too.� Georgia chuckled. �I�d like to hear from you soon, again! Goodbye!�

�Me too. Bye.� Ally replied happily and hung up. Smiling, she got up, smoothed down her skirt and walked into the kitchen, opening the fridge. �Honey, C�mon, you�re gonna be late for school!� She yelled in a booming voice so loud that there was absolutely no chance Madison Harrington could have overheard it.

�I�m coming!� Maddie screamed down the hall.

And the girl jumped into the kitchen with a skip, smiling happily.

�Have you done your homework?� Ally asked, setting the pan with scrambled eggs onto the stove and waiting for it to warm up.

�Yeah. Just not my project. I don�t get it, but we don�t have music today anyway.� She replied, shrugging, pouring herself a glass of fresh pressed OJ.

�If you want to, I can help you today. I used to be pretty good at it.� Ally offered, turning the eggs in the pan while fixing a sandwich.

�Cool.� Maddie remarked half-heartedly, inhaling the delicious smell of her breakfast. Her mom DID cook well!

�Wilson sends his love, by the way.� Ally smiled at the teenager. Wilson Watson was a senior partner at Ally�s law firm, Watson & McBeal, yes, Watson & McBEAL! Ally was senior partner of one of New York City�s top-notch, most successful law firms.

�Tell him I said hi.� Maddie mumbled, eagerly grabbing the plate Ally offered her and loading it with fresh and warm scrambled eggs and a tuna sandwich. �I�m supposed to give a new student the grand tour today. He�s an eleven-year old prodigy, going to be in my grade.� Maddie told her mother. �Our principle just didn�t seem to find anyone else to do it, so he ditched me to do it. I�m trapped.� Maddie scowled annoyed.

�C�mon, honey. Look at the bright side.� Ally grinned at her. �You�ll be able to skip a few classes!�

�Right!� Maddie beamed, realising. Stuffing the last bit of her breakfast into her mouth, she grabbed her backpack and kissed her mother on the cheek, calling a quick goodbye and nearly run out of the penthouse, leaving her mom alone with the dishes.

�Bye!� Ally called after her daughter, placing her glass and plate into the sink and rinsing them off, ignoring the image of Larry Paul sitting next to her at the counter in her mind, completely.

*~*~*

�And if they all mock me because I�m younger?� Sam complained, sinking back into the passenger seat, scowling, crossing his arms across of his chest.

�Buddy, you�re two to three years younger. At most.� Larry sighed.

�I�ll hate this school.� He remarked, making no such attempt to leave the car anytime soon. �Why can�t we go back to Detroit? Why the hell New York???!�

�Because I got an amazing job-offer, here, Sam. I thought we talked about it!� Larry sighed again, rubbing his eyes behind his glasses.

�New York is impersonal, big and loud and noisy and dirty and sticky and icky and high and ...big.� Sam grumbled.

�As is every other city of the USA.� Larry remarked smirking.

�They probably won�t even let me into their baseball team. I�m sure I�m not even gonna be allowed in the Basketball team!� Sam protested.

�Why is that?� Larry asked confused, cleaning his glasses with his tie. A yellow one. Completely not matching the rest of his outfit.

�C�mon, Dad. I�ll be the new kid!� Sam growled, unbuckling his backpack and grabbing a bottle of coke out of the black leather bag. �I�ll be the YOUNGER new kid.�

�So, you expect everyone in NYC to be shallow, empty and dump?� Larry commented.

�Not everyone living here. Just everyone at this School. C�mon, �Torrance Junior High School�? I bet this is your average, Teeny-girl soap school where every boy runs after the hallow Barbie-doll-like cheerleaders all drooling and groping and you�re nothing but a looser if you�re not wealthy enough to drive a Mercedes.� Sam said, eyeing the students through the rear-view. Well, one of them seemed actually quite nice. A girl. Maybe 14 or 15, long light-brown, curly hair, cursing and stomping her feet onto the ground, checking her watch ever so impatiently. This had got to be the girl to show him around. Great. She�ll hate him right from the start, since he was already late.

�Sam. You�re *sitting* in a Mercedes.� Larry told his son dryly, leaning over and opening the passenger seat�s door again.

�I�ll have a hell lot of working up to do. They have a different math book! I SUCK at math!� Sam protested further.

� Last time I checked you had an A STRAIGHT on all your reports in math, buddy. And don't curse!!� Larry growled, rolling his eyes and shoving Sam out of the car.

Who sat right back down, causing Larry to groan and bump his head onto the steering wheel which again caused the horn to sound and Larry to jump away from it in his seat, starlet.

�I�ll hate this school.� Sam mumbled again and finally got up.

�Have fun!� Larry called after him, smirking, and Sam only scowled back at his father, stopping in front of the girl he supposed was to give him the big grand tour.

*~*~*

�Ally, this one�s yours. Peter Brendons sues his mother for emotional distress. As he says, she corrupted him by telling him about the bees and flowers too soon. Simon, you�re co-counsel.� Wilson Watson said, smiling at Ally, sitting at the other end of the table, with a goofy grin on his face. And Ally only rolled her eyes.

�How old was he?� Ally asked instead.

�Excuse me?� Wilson asked starlet.

�Our client. Ho-How old was he when his mother told him?� Ally asked, taking the file and leafing through it.

�16.� Wilson replied, causing Ally to choke on her coffee.

�16?!! What�s that woman�s name? Kimmy Bishop?!� Ally huffed, shaking her head and chuckling, while the others at the table only looked at her, clueless.

�Never mind.� She mumbled, shrinking back into her seat.

�Next one: Mrs Jenkins sues the WB for having too much violence shown in their cartoons.� Wilson sighed. �Oh well, I�ll take it. Andrew, you�re co-counsel.�

��Kay.� Andrew Simon remarked, flashing Ally a grin of his own, who as always rolled her eyes, while Simon Johow took the Brendons� file from her hands.

�Oh, and one thing more, after Nina decided to leave us, I hired a new lawyer. He�ll start in a few days.� Wilson added and prepared to leave the room when Ally stopped him with a high-pitched yell.

�Wh-Wh-Wha- WHAT??!!� Ally barked. �Wilson, I-I�m senior partner! You can�t just run around hiring people without me agreeing!�

�Ally...� Wilson tried to get in, but the neurotic blonde didn�t let him speak.

�N-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!� Ally babbled. �This isn�t at ALL acceptable! YOU made me senior partner so now DEAL with me being senior partner! And I�d like to be treated like... one.�

�Ally....� Wilson tried again, but no such luck.

�No! Wilson Watson, no! You hired me, because you think I�m a good lawyer. At least that�s what you said. And you made me partner, because you think I�m able to handle things and now you don�t let ... me ... handle things.� Ally yelped in one long run-on-sentence. She just had enough of all that crap.

�Ally....�

�Don�t. It�s okay. I made a fool out of myself. I�m sorry. I�m sorry. I�ll � I- I�ll take the file.� She said, snatching the orange coloured file from Simon Johow�s hands. �I�m okay... with... you hiring this new attorney. I�m sorry, I�m just ... gonna... go...� She said, gesturing with her hand to the door. �...to my... office...� And walked out of the room.

�She�s weird.� Milena Mina di Costa remarked, shrugged, and stood up as well.

*~*~*

�And over there�s the cafeteria. But don�t eat there. The pudding tastes like mud, and they make the potatoes out of paper, I think. The vegetables taste remarkably much like sand and I think the cook spits into the soup...� Maddie said, shuddering disgusted. �How�s your timetable?� She asked, grabbing the little piece of paper out of Sam�s hands, checking it. ��Kay, ... you need to see the Art room, and the music-room.�

Sam only nodded uncomfortably. Somehow Maddie Harrington seemed nice, but also completely wigged out. She was strange. Fumbling with the label of his Coca-Cola bottle, he looked around the place seemingly totally calm and cool, while on the inside he was trembling. He already hated this school.

�This is it. Roomo e Arto.� Maddie sneered, peeking through the little window in the door. �See this girl?� She asked, making room for the slightly smaller boy.

�Yeah?�

�She�s the queen here. Head of the Torrance Junior High�s Cheerleader Team and oh so perfect. Everything she does and likes is �in�.� Maddie snickered. �So if you consider falling for her then we�re NEVER gonna be friends. Clear?�

�Crystal.� Sam replied in a beat, causing Maddie to turn to him surprised. And the dark-blonde-haired boy only shrugged with a very calm and neutral expression.

�You�re in my math class, aren�t you?� He asked instead.

�Um, yes?� Maddie replied.

�Cool. Would you help me?� He asked, turning, and strolling along the corridor with her.

�Oh, who�s the prodigy, here???� Maddie mocked him, pushing him gently to the side.

�I am. Meaning: I learn fast. But I can�t foresee what you�re currently leering in class.� Sam said, smiling softly at the girl next to him.

�Well, then I�ll help you.� Maddie grinned. �I live near the West 48th Street meeting the Times Square.� She told him, when Sam stopped suddenly.

�Me, too!�

*~*~*

�Yes, got it. Thanks, Wilson.� Larry said into the receiver of his cell-phone. ��Til then.� And hung up, opening the envelope containing his new firm�s resume, but laying it down onto the counter without even glancing at it beforehand.

Opening the fridge and loosening his tie, Larry pulled out a bottle of Lemon Iced Tea and then shed his suit jacket, while pushing the button on his answering machine.

�Hey Dad, it�s me. I just wanted to say that I�ll bring a girl from my school, today. Maddie Harrington. She�ll help me catch up on math. Bye.� Then the answering machine went off again with the typical peep-sound echoing through his silent apartment.

Grinning to himself, Larry sipped from the Ice Tea. So much to �I�ll hate this school�.

Setting the bottle back down onto the counter, he picked up the firm resume and read out loud. �Watson & McBeal... McBeal. McBEAL???!!� Larry yelped, throwing the resume wide across the room, panicked, only to run after it and pick it up again, leafing through it.

And sure enough, there it was written, black on white: Allyson McBeal, Senior Partner.

�Great. Oh how great.� Larry muttered under his breath, throwing his glasses off and hitting his head onto the counter with a bang.

Something like this could only happen to him.

Why the *hell* hadn�t he bothered to look up his new firm�s NAME?!

How would he be able to work with HER? She was his BOSS!!! And he hadn�t seen her for over three years. Three years of missing her so terribly.

How could he work for her? God knew he�d die on the spot if she pretended to not know him, acting like a stranger, or simply finding her with another man.

What did she even do in New York?

*~*~*

�You. Are. Coming. End of discussion.� She said, propping her feet up onto the table and leaning back into Ally�s office chair, crossing her arms across her chest.

�Fray...� Ally began to protest, rolling her eyes.

�Nooooooooo, we�re NOT getting into this again. YOU. ARE. COMING. TO THIS PARTY! Period. Even if I have to drag to it.� Fray remarked, playing with one of Ally�s pens.

�Fray!� Ally protested again, glaring at the black-haired woman. Only that the black was fake. Francis-Ray Milberg was a natural blonde, so light it was almost shining white. Her skin was very pale and she always wore black. She wasn�t a Goth or something, she simply loved the color and refused to wear anything but and maybe a very deep red, green or purple.

Fray was like that. A little nuts. A little different. A little out of it. She was what your average little grand-mommy would consider a total misfit.

But she didn�t care. In fact, Fray loved being seen this way. Which made her work even more fun to her, because Fray worked as a social-worker in an old people�s home, beside her official work as a journalist, sometimes a waitress, then there were times she was a painter, musician, singer, writer, web-designer, photographer, teacher. Fray was talented in many things, just couldn�t seem to choose what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. So she simply chose to do everything.

Fray Milberg, Ally�s best friend since they met at the Canteen, a little bar near downtown, three years ago.

�I have one hell of a lot paperwork to do and Maddie needs help with her music-project.� Ally protested further, going through some files, sitting comfortably embedded in her fluffy sink-into couch on the opposite site of her office.

�That paperwork certainly gain wings until tomorrow and I�m sure there�s someone to find to help Maddie. And if not, so what? The girl�s smart, she�ll be able to handle that on her own.� Fray shrugged and put the pen down again.

Ally simply chose to glare at her, and the familiar tunes of �My Girl� started to play themselves in her head again, when she imagined Larry Paul where Fray had sat only seconds before, speaking to her in that gentle voice of his. �You work too much.� Only to turn back into Fray�s shrill, high-pitched exclaim and her image, while the music in her head screeched to a halt, when Ally�s cell-phone rang in her bag.

Fumbling with it a few moments, Ally answered it. �Yeah?�

�Hey mom, it�s me.� Maddie said warmly, with the noises of the underground sounding in the background.

�Where are you, honey?� Ally asked concerned.

�Remember when I told you that I had to show the new kid around?� Maddie asked, receiving a nod from her mother, that of course she couldn�t see. �Well, he�s really nice and I�m going to help him with math today, and he helps me with my project. He lives right next door to us, isn�t that amazing?� Maddie rambled on, all exited, causing Ally to chuckle. �Is that okay, mom?�

�Of course, honey. As a matter of fact, I�m going to go to a party with Fray tonight, so don�t wait up for me.� Ally smiled into the mobile, when Fray yelped happily, throwing her arms into the air in victory.

�Oh, okay then. Bye mom.�

�Bye cutie.� She replied and hung up.

�I�ll pick you up after work.� Fray stated and quickly left her office to avoid any further protests.

Sighing, Ally slumped back into her sofa, hitting her head against the wall behind her. God, she missed Larry. And the hallucination of him, kneeling right in front of her with his head turned slightly to the right side, peering at her so thoughtfully, wasn�t helping at all.

�I miss you, too.� Larry told her, resting his chin onto her knees and looked her in the eye. And Ally simply closed her eyes and shook her head firmly.

*~*~*

�Dad?� Sam called, and Maddie walked into the penthouse behind him, looking around the place curiously.

�It�s nice.� She remarked and entered the large living room, including a fire-place and a large white couch.

�I know.� Sam answered smirking, and Maddie only rolled her eyes.

�Da-ad!!!� Sam called again, and Larry walked into the room, startling them.

�Hello, Mr. Paul!� Maddie said smiling, offering her hand. �I�m Maddie Harrington. It�s nice to meet you!�

�Hello, Maddie.� He smiled back at her, instantly liking her. She was sweet. And somehow she reminded him of someone. He just couldn�t quite tell who. �You can call me Larry. Are you guys hungry? I made dinner. Sammy?�

�Cool.� They answered unison and grinned at each other, walking into the kitchen.

�So what�s your math-problem?� She asked, sitting down at the table, leaning back and checking out the place.

�Well, what are you doing right now?� Sam shrugged.

�Algebra.� She replied, receiving a groan from the 11-year-old. �It�s not that bad. Pretty easy actually. Equivalence and stuff.� She added. �I�ll get you through it. I�m pretty good with it.�

��Kay. And what�s with your project?� Sam mumbled.

�I have to write a song.� Maddie growled.

Chuckling, Larry patted her head. �I think we can help you there. Sam gets piano lessons since he�s five.�

�Really?� Maddie replied, amazed. �That�s so cool! I�m getting lessons, too! But only for half a year, now. My teacher says I learn fast, though. My mom knows how to play, but she�s not really good at it...� Maddie said in one large run-on-sentence.

Larry only smiled. Now he knew who she reminded him of. If he didn�t know better, he�d think this was Ally�s daughter.

*~*~*

�Well. Mr. ... Brendons, I....� Ally began stuttering, sitting down next to Simon Johow on her office couch.

�Call me Pete.� Peter Brendons answered. He looked rather handsome if it wasn�t for the serious lining wrinkles on his brow. He wasn�t at all old. Anything but, in fact. Maybe 24 or 25 at most, if not younger.

�Okay, Pete.... a-a-am I right that you sue your mother for telling you..... to soon.... where the ... babies come from? A-at the age of ... sixteen.� Ally gulped, not believing what she read in the complaint lying in front of her.

�Yes.� He answered strongly, nodding his head in emphasis.

�Well...� Ally began, swallowing hard, while Simon only stared at the man in front of him as if in shock. which was rather unusual for the small man. Simon Never said much, that was for sure, but he always seemed calm, knowing and at ease. This speechlessness of him was freaking Ally out beyond belief. �So, why is that.... Pete?� She continued, swallowing one more time.

�I wasn�t prepared for it.� Peter stated quite shallow, sticking out his chin. �I-I couldn�t look at another woman ever since.... ever since....�

�She told you.� Ally finished, looking her client right in the eye.

�Yes.� Pete said, beginning to blush and play with his tie. �Ever since... she told me..... I get this images whenever I.... see a woman.... of me and her.... doing these.... things with her.� Pete mumbled, barely audible, his skin having turned into a deep shade of red, which looked rather funny compared to his blonde hair. �I can�t even talk to a woman without stuttering and looking into her .... cleavage and her...her...her... b-butt.� He added, coughing embarrassed.

�Mr... I mean, Pete. A-a-a-a-a-a, um, a-are you a ....a.... virgin?� Ally asked, blushing on her own for having to ask such a question to a grown man.

�Of course!� He yelped, outraged. �Who do you think I am?!� Peter nearly shouted, and halfway jumped out of his chair.

�A man?� Simon piped in, lifting up one eyebrow and receiving a heavy kick to the leg from the blonde mini-skirt wearing lawyer sitting next to him.

�Um, Pete, how long did you believe in ... Santa Claus?� Ally asked softly, seriously.

�How is this relevant?� Peter Brendons asked annoyed.

�It just... is.� Allyson McBeal stammered. Locking eyes with Larry, who sat right behind Peter Brendons, but only in her mind, she knew that.

�Until I was 13. A boy in my grade told me.� Pete admitted, shifting in his seat.

�Oh. And h-how was that for you?� Ally continued, slightly more confident.

�I was devastated! At first I didn�t believe him, but then there were all those things that made me see the truth. I can�t look onto one of those supermarket Santa Claus� without tearing up and glaring at them. It�s horrible to lie to children like that!!� Pete said outraged.

�Did your mother know about this reaction?� Ally asked tentatively.

�Yes.� Peter replied.

�And she made no intentions on telling you, then?� Ally asked further.

�No. Never.� Pete said frowning, where was she getting at? �That would have been way too soon, anyway!!� Pete said stubbornly.

�Pete... did you ever wonder why others found out in elementary school? When they were 6-10 years old?� Ally asked.

�No. Honestly, I really don�t care.� Pete snapped, causing Ally to frown. �Do you have kids, Ms. McBeal?� He asked.

�Um, yes. I-I have a daughter.� Ally answered confused.

�When did you tell her?� He wanted to know, looking at Ally expectantly.

�I-I-I didn�t.� Ally stammered.

�See? You waited. It�s only good for the poor girl. She won�t be corrupted as much!� Pete nodded approvingly.

�No! I didn�t tell her. She knew before I got her. See, I only found out she existed when she was already ten! She asked me to show her how to do a french kiss, though!� Ally explained, shocking Peter Brendons to the core.

*~*~*

Fray was freezing. And that although she was wearing her fluffy black wool-coat with feathers and plush, plus the thick leather-pants and black sweater. Shuddering, she stepped from one foot to another, waiting impatiently for Ally to come out of her office building.

Rubbing her arms to warm herself up, she looked around the place. She�d been here over a few thousand times, but it had never seemed so cold to her in the evening, and looking up, Fray�s eyes widened. It began to snow! Little watery stars fell from the sky to melt on the ground and stay on the top of her nose.

And in only a few seconds it began to snow harder, allowing the crystal-like snow flakes to stay whole on the ground, cars and houses.

Snow wasn�t anything special in New York City, but it seemed like a miracle all over again, every single year.

To her, snow meant Christmas. And that although it was only mid-November.

And like a snap of her fingers, Fray forgot she was cold. Chuckling, Fray stuck out her tongue towards the sky, hoping to catch a flake like she�d always done when she was little. Only to be starlet when Ally emerged out of her office building, laughing towards the sky and holding out her hands to catch a few snow flakes on her own.

It was dark, and the only light of the neon-signs and stars lightened up the streets of New York.

�Reminds you of Boston, doesn�t it?� Fray smiled at her friend who bounced up and down, beaming like a child on Christmas Eve.

�Yeah.� Ally smiled back, leaning her head to the side and grinning at Fray. �Don�t you just love the winter?�

�I know.� Fray remarked and slung her arm around Ally�s waist. �C�mon honey, we�re gonna be late.� She said, chuckling at Ally who groaned in protest, leaning her head against Ally�s shoulder. �It�s gonna be fun. You�ll see!� And they walked through the snow.

*~*~*

TBC....

go back to fanfiction!!!

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1