*~*~*

�Bye!� Mandy chirped after her boss. �Have a good day with your *fianc�*.� She spit sarcastically.

The blonde man turned around and blew the younger girl a kiss. �I will, believe me.� Riley said before exiting his office. He had an affair with his secretary for several months now. Mandy was not even 19 yet, though. She was a student at UC LA, her major law, so the girl could use the help and who was he to deny such a beautiful girl?

He walked trough the floor his office was in, greeting everybody he thought he needed to know and smiled politely at every potential client.

He was a very successful lawyer and everybody here knew so. And even when they didn�t like him, or even hated him, they still respected him. He had everything a man could possibly want. A good job that covered him with more than enough money, great car, a woman on every single finger and about to get married to America's most successful architect and most beautiful woman.

�Riley.� Lindsey greeted, nodding politely and the two men walked into the elevator.

�Lindsey.� Riley greeted back, not really enjoying the company.

The small room was big enough for at least 30 people, so there was enough room to avoid each other, unfortunately the walls were all mirrors, so they couldn�t tell if the other was looking at you.

They stood there in silence, both looking everywhere but at each other. �When are you planning on telling her? On your honeymoon?� Lindsey suddenly asked out of nowhere.

�That�s none of your business, McDonald.� Riley mumbled through gritted teeth.

�Well, I think Buffy deserves to know. She�s a nice, smart, rich, beautiful young woman. She can do better than you.� Lindsey smiled at the taller man towering over him.

�You know nothing about us, Lindsey. So stop the hell caring!� Riley Finn yelled in the other man�s face.

�I think I know enough to know that you�re playing with her. All you want is her money.� Lindsey countered.

�I love her.� Riley argued enraged.

�Yeah.� Lindsey smiled again. �You love her enough to betray her.� The lawyer snored. �With a teenager. C�mon, Finn. Buffy Summers is way better that that chick floating around you. I don�t get what you want more, Riley. You have LA�s most sexy woman. Rich. Smart. Beautiful. Successful. Why are you doing this to her?�

The elevator stopped and the doors opened on both sides, allowing them to part again.

�Get out of my sight, McDonald. Now.� Riley warned and took of to his car once the elevator doors opened, leaving a smirking Lindsey McDonald behind.

*~*~*

Buffy walked through her apartment, stripping off the warm black pullover she was wearing and throwing it over the couch where also her coat lay. Smoothing down the red tank top she wore underneath she walked through the hall.

Entering the kitchen, she searched for a vase for Deanna�s long, pink rose. Buffy hadn�t expected something so nice from Angel. He�d also bought a little stuffed Hello Kitty for her. One so small it was as big as her thumb. And so damn cute.

And it made Deanna fall for her daddy. Immediately.

The two of them headed for the mall only a few minutes before. Deanna�s request, of course. Angel had only smiled and nodded and went out with her without any complains. That man actually enjoyed the nine-year-old�s company so much to spend a whole day at the mall!

She�d told herself she was crazy for letting a strange man that she met only yesterday go out with her baby girl. But strangely enough, she trusted him with her life. Even with Deanna�s life. Somehow she just knew Angel would take better care of her than Dean Summers even did.

She�d only allowed Riley to take her daughter to the movies alone after a whole five months of being with him and she�d allowed Angel after twelve hours. And somehow, it didn�t even confuse her.

It was just a feeling that made it seem right. Angel was Deanna�s father. It was just natural to trust him with her, wasn�t it? And Angel adored her, she could see that. It was as if for Angel, Deanna was something sacred he wasn�t allowed to even see. That day with his daughter at the mall meant the world to him, she could see that.

Placing the vase nicely on the couch table she turned around and shrieked when a man was standing right behind her. �Riley! God, you scared me!� She exclaimed.

�I thought you had to work longer?� He asked sceptically, laying his jacket over her coat and pullover.

�I-I ... I thought I needed longer.� Buffy stammered, turning around again and walking back into the kitchen. The room seemed to mature into her Buffy-has-problems-room. Whenever she didn�t know what to do she went in there.

�Why didn�t you call me?� Riley asked further. �I could have picked you up.� He followed her into the room and stopped right behind her at the counter.

�I was there by the car. There was no need.� Buffy said without facing him, opening the fridge and grabbing a bottle of coke.

�Where�s Deanna?� God, was it just her or was he way too question-happy today?

Buffy sighed. �Out.� Buffy said simply, taking a sip of the coke without taking a glass. She drank right from the bottle, because she knew exactly how much Riley hated that.

�Out where?� Riley wanted to know.

�Out!� Buffy turned around. �You don�t have to know everything about her! She�s MY daughter!� Buffy yelped.

�Well, sorry for caring!� Riley shouted after her, watching her stalking out of the room. �And just so you know: Next month, she�s also mine!�

*~*~*

�Mom�s friends are the coolest people on earth. Well, granted. They�re a little odd, especially Anya, but hey, they�re cool anyway!� Deanna charmed. �Willow�s my godmother and mom�s best female friend. She�s so nice! She liked learning as much as I do now! And she�s good with computers!� The girl smiled warmly at her father.

�Best female friend?� Angel asked confused.

�Yeah, mom�s best male friend is Spike, he�s also my godfather. The two of them knew each other like forever. He�s way cool and unlike Riley, he and Xander don�t treat me like a child!� Deanna ranted, sipping on her oversized milk shake.

The two of them were sitting in an open air caf� in the mall�s center. Big, filled shopping bags were piled up on the empty chair next to Deanna. Angel�d found himself not being able to deny the little girl one single wish, so Deanna had now at least four new outfits, a pile of new books, a new computer program and professional pencils. But beside a suddenly much more empty wallet, Angel had seen things in which the two were very much alike. They had the same taste in books and clothing and Deanna�s favourite flavour in milk shakes was chocolate, just like his. They also both despised yoghurt ice-cream and overcrowded places.

They found themselves very comfortable in the other�s presence and got along so well that it was getting really creepy. It was really like a father-daughter relationship. And they acted instantly like they�d known each other all their life.

�I thought Alexander Harris was your godfather?� Angel's brow furrowed.

�They both are. Buffy couldn�t choose between the two and they were arguing so bad they were on each other's throats all the time, so Buffy let �em both be my godfather. Mom says that it was a whole bunch of trouble getting the priest to agree on that, so they played out the fact that there was no father and I�d deserve a second godfather, blah, blah. Must have been a real freak show but unfortunately, I really can�t remember.� Deanna babbled exited. �But they both suck in authority. Xander teaches me all kinds of illegal card games and Spike shows me how to snatch things in a shop without being caught and how to drink without getting drunk and stuff. So I�m corrupted from all sides, �cause sometimes mom�s as bad as those two are.�

Angel chuckled lightly. Yes, he could imagine Buffy Summers like that.

�But they�re so bad when they are all together in one room. I really miss that!� Deanna smiled sadly.

�Why miss? They don�t do that anymore?� Angel asked further, noticing the sadder look on the happy girl�s face.

�Riley.� Deanna answered simply. �He�s so jealous, that he�s around whenever there�s a guy near mom. And with him it�s not that fun, anymore. He�s just... boring.� Deanna shrugged.

Angel smiled. �Why would he be jealous of her friends? Didn�t you say they know each other since High School and longer?�

�Oh, they do!� Deanna said. �Mom and Spike had a thing going on when I was three. It wasn�t like they�d been in love or something. It was a pure sex-affair. And sometime they just stopped. Now, they�re like brother and sister.� Deanna sighed. �But Riley�s jealous, because nobody had told him and Xander accidentally let it slip. Riley always hated Spike, but now it�s so tense that Mom and Spike meet secretly, so Riley doesn�t tower over them and glare at Spike whenever he says something that�s definitely Spike-ish. The guy�s a nympho. He says dirty things. That�s him, but Riley freaks everytime!�

Angel laughed right out at that. �I thought you liked Riley.� He commented grinning.

�I do! He loves mom. I mean - why else would a guy be SO jealous? And he�s acting all protective towards mom and me.� Deanna defended herself. �He�s just boring. You�d fit so much better to mom!� She said to her father.

Angel sighed at that and leaned back in his seat. �Deanna, your mother and I are over. When you see it from the right side , then there never WAS a �your mother and I��

�I know.� Deanna pouted. �But you�re so better than Fish-boy!� The small brunette whined.

Angel chuckled once again. �Fish-boy?�

�Spike and Xander named him like that. Fish boy. Captain Cardboard. Pony. Etc.� She grinned up at Angel.

Angel cocked an eyebrow at her, smirking. �You want anything else beside that monster-shake? Maybe something more... healthy?� He winked at her.

Deanna groaned at that. �You sound like mom!� She whined.

*~*~*

Buffy stalked around in her bedroom, punching the couch in the corner to her large balcony. �How dare he!� She yelled to nobody in particular. She was fuming.

How dare he to only think he would be allowed to decide over Deanna? How dare he to only think he�d be allowed to interfere into her education.?

Deanna Summers was a well-behaved girl. What made Riley think there was a need for him to interfere? Deanna was the little girl every parent dreamed of. Kind, behaved, pretty, funny, intelligent. Why wasn�t that enough for this guy? Granted, she knew a lot that a normal nine-year-old wouldn�t know, like playing poker or black jack and how to make alcohol on your own, but Deanna spend her time with teenagers and grown-ups that still acted like teens. But all in all, the little girl was perfect. At least for her and her little group of friends.

Why the hell was Riley so determined to change Deanna?

Hitting the back of her couch once again, she felt her hand hit the wall instead and heard her hand gave a horrible breaking noise as she howled in pain.

Great, now she�d broken her wrist.

And to her utter surprise, Riley didn�t come to her rescue. She knew he�d heard her, she�d screamed so loud that even the old man walking his dog in front of her window had looked up to her.

So she held her wrist and fought desperately to hold back the tears. She pulled a scarf out of her cupboard, tying it over the swollen flesh as firm as she could and stumbled out into the bathroom, searching for the first-aid kit.

�Fuck!� She exclaimed in pain when the kit fell out of her grasp and onto the injured hand, spilling it�s contents onto the cold floor.

Hissing in pain she took the scarf off her now bloody wrist and rubbed it with an ointment that burned like hell.

Dressing her wrist she kicked the door open and stalked into the living room, facing a TV-watching Riley Finn. �Why the hell didn�t you help me?� She shouted at him, stepping right infront of the screen.

�Help you? After you called me a coward and wanker? Yeah, most likely.� He snored and shoved her out of the way.

Buffy couldn�t believe what she heard. �I BROKE my wrist!�

�Why should I care?� Riley replied half heartedly, his gaze fixed onto the telly.

Just that moment the door opened and Deanna stepped in with her father in tow.

*~*~*

�My first day in elementary school: horror! Xander would run around with a camera and shoot everything and annoy all my teachers to death. Ya know? They even remembered him, and he promptly got send out of the classroom! And Spike would ask questions in front of all the kids that made the teacher�s blush and stammer like: �How was that with the bees and flowers again?�, or �How does the baby come in Mrs. Newman�s stomach?� and stuff.� Deanna told her father excitedly and actually found him laughing about the things she told him. Turning the key in its lock, she stepped into her mother�s apartment and could clearly hear yelling inside, but wasn�t really able to make out the exact words. Frowning at Angel, she walked further into the apartment to the living room and found Riley at the TV, as always. It was Friday night and he was watching a football match or something. But Buffy was standing infront of him, glaring through a tear-streaked face.

�Hey honey! How was your day?� Buffy fake-smiled at her daughter and tried to wipe the tears away from her face with her uninjured hand, freezing when she saw Angel enter the room as well.

�Where the hell have you be---� Riley turned around in his seat and glared at the stranger, then facing Buffy with anger burning in his eyes. �You left her with a STRANGER?!� He yelled into her face.

�I can leave MY daughter with whoever I want!� Buffy barked into his face. �That�s SO none of your business! Stay the hell out of this! It�s only my concern how I bring her up! Understand?� She said, clutching her dressed wrist.

Angel watched her with concern and rushed to her side, noticing the injured hand. �God, Buffy. What happened?� He asked her, taking the wrist and turning it, checking if it was broken.

Hissing in pain, she pulled her arm back and clutched it to her chest. �It�s broken.� She told him. Stepping away from both men and leaning against the side of the couch.

�You have to see a doctor!� He told her, completely ignoring the other man in the room. �Deanna, get your mother�s coat, I�m taking her to a hospital.� He turned back to the little girl who rushed into her mom�s bedroom to search for the jacket.

�What in god�s name do you think you�re doing?� Riley spit in the other man�s face, getting up from his seat infront of the TV. �Who are you?�

�I�m Deanna�s father.� Angel told him calmly, watching the blond guy do a double take.

�WHAT?!� He grabbed Buffy by the upper arm despite her whimpering in pain and pulled her towards him. �Is this true? You�re seeing her father? You�re cheating on me?�

Angel�s eyes darkened at the scene infront of him and he fought the urge to kick the other man�s ass to the moon for treating her like that.

�I�m NOT cheating on you! What the hell makes you think that?� Buffy shoved him away. �God, Riley, what the fuck is wrong with you?!�

�You!� Riley barked at Angel, ignoring the blonde girl who was waiting for an answer. �What do you think you�re doing? Stepping into her life suddenly, playing the nice, caring father, trying to get into her pants?� He glared at the slightly shorter man, clenching his fist.

Deanna came running into the room with Buffy�s black leather coat dangling over her arm. She stopped right in the doorway, eyes growing huge and she looked into her mother�s face who helplessly watched the confrontation on her own. Riley and Angel were standing in the middle of the room, facing each other and Riley punched Angel�s jaw, making him fly into the empty armchair behind him.

Touching his jaw he stood up again, facing the other again, but making no attempt in hitting him when Riley punched him again, this time into the rib cage. Angel coughed for air.

�Deanna, into your room, NOW!� Buffy yelped panicking and the girl ran off into the other direction.

Angel stood up again, this time with more difficulty and simply smirked at the raging lawyer. �You of all people should know what an amount of money I could get if I sued you now.� He joked, coughing.

Riley smirked right back. �What? You don�t even try to hit me? What�s wrong? You�re afraid? Or are ya simply a chicken?�

�I�m usually not one for violence.� Angel shrugged and stepped right back into the other man�s face. �I�d simply like to know why you�re freaking out like this. I just don�t get it. What did I do to you?�

Riley�s eyes lowered and he hit Angel again.

�Stop it!� Buffy yelled, but the two men didn�t even notice it. �I said stop it!� She shouted again and walked up to them both, trying to hold Riley back and stopping his next punch in mid air with her injured hand. Crying out in pain, he turned to her and pushed her off of him, hard. She flew into the back of the couch and hit her head on the table, collapsing to the ground.

�Okay, that was it.� Angel remarked and punched Riley hard, breaking his nose. Riley fell onto the couch behind him and Angel rushed to Buffy, lifting her off the ground and checking for injuries. She had a large cut on her forehead from the impact on the table and black spot on her cheekbone. She whimpered and Angel gently stroked the sore spot, helping her sit on an armchair.

�Oh god, Buffy, I�m---� Riley began, coming up to her, but Buffy�s eyes shot around and she glared at him.

�Go!� She said in a low voice. �Go home, Riley.�

�Baby, I�m so sor---� He tried again, stepping towards her.

�GO!� She screamed and Riley backed away, turning around while grabbing his jacket and walking up towards the door.

�I�ll call you.� He said and left the apartment.

Eyeing her many injuries Angel frowned. �That doesn�t look too good.� He commented and wiped the blood away that flowed down her cheek from the cut.

Deanna walked into the room, a little frightened and gasped loudly when she saw her mom.

�Deanna, do you know if you have any ice?� Angel asked her, �And can you bring me a few clean towels and the first-aid kit?� He asked the little girl in a soothing, calm voice.

�I-I�ll go get it.� Deanna mumbled and jumped off towards the bathroom, frowning at the mess she found there. The first-aid kit was lying on the floor, it�s contents strewn all over the place. Collecting all the things from the floor and grabbing two fluffy white towels, she ran into the kitchen, getting the ice and filling it into another smaller towel.

�Here.� She said, running back into the living room and handing her father the ice-towel.

�Thanks.� He mumbled and placed the towel over the cut, cleaning it. Buffy winced and closed her eyes.

�I�m sorry.� He replied, but Buffy simply shook her head, telling him silently he didn�t have to.

Deanna walked out of the room again, going into her room and locking herself up.

�You need to get to a hospital.� Angel told Buffy, dressing the cut on her forehead.

�No.� She replied. �I-I hate hospitals.� She admitted. �I�m kinda afraid of �em. This has to do.� She whispered.

�Did he...- Has this....- Has he ever slapped you... before?� Angel stammered, avoiding to look into her eyes.

�No.� She said. �I kinda thought that something like this would never happen to me.� She chuckled in agony, trying to joke about it, but Angel simply looked into her eyes. �He�s usually so gentle and caring. I have no idea what got into him.� She whispered brokenly.

Angel gently stroked her cheek, closing the first-aid-kid and sitting down beside her. �I think I got into him. That�s why he freaked.� He commented, staring off into space.

�No!� She turned around facing him and he noticed the tears in her eyes for the first time. �It�s not you. He was angry with me even before you showed up.� She told him. �He�s... different.� She said, folding her hands in her lap and staring at them. And she silently began to cry.

Angel gently took her fragile form into his arms and held her. �It�s gonna be okay.� He whispered into her ear and just let her cry.

*~*~*

Riley kicked the door shut behind him. What had he done? What had got into him?

He actually HIT her. He loved her, why had he done it? Truth was, he hadn�t paid attention, not at all. The moment it happened, he hadn�t been aware of it. It all happened so fast.

He wanted to kick that guy�s ass for stealing her away from him, from preventing her from loving him. It was his fault. Because of this guy she couldn�t love him. He wanted to beat the shit out of this guy and she�d been in the way. He�d snapped. He hadn�t known what he�d done when he�d shoved her away from him. He hadn�t been thinking clearly.

All he�d felt was the jealousy towards this other guy. Deanna�s father. One could understand that, right? Who wouldn�t be jealous if your girlfriend�s ex, who happened to be the father of her child, showed up without you knowing he even exited in her life? And then after such a fight that they�d had beforehand. It was understandable, wasn�t it?

She would forgive him, she had to.

He had simply freaked. Something like that happened. He hadn�t hurt her on purpose. It was an accident.

Yes, an accident. But how was he able to make her see that? Beg her for forgiveness?

They would be as happy as they were before. Before that shadow of her past showed up and screwed it all up. It was his fault. His and his alone. The guy shouldn�t have come there. He hadn�t been there for ten FUCKING YEARS, so he could simply sod off to where he came from.

That would be the exact first thing he would do when he and Buffy were okay again. This bloke had no right to see either of them. Not Buffy, not Deanna. He hadn�t cared for ten years, so he shouldn�t have begun, now.

When Deanna�s father was gone, all would be as it was before.

Determined with his thoughts he let himself fall onto his big black leather chair. He rolled his eyes in annoyance when Mandy danced into the room, giggling happily. �Back again?� She beamed. �What? Your lovely fianc� not good enough?� She winked at him and strolled over to him, sitting on his lap.

�That�s none of your business, girl. Keep out of it.� He snarled absently. Mandy was not the reason for his problems with Buffy. It wasn�t his fault. He just had to keep telling this to himself and it would be true.

�Oooh, you�re being mean? I like that!� She smirked and hopped off his lap, strolling back outside his office.

It wasn�t his fault. It wasn�t.

*~*~*

Drying her tears, she stepped out of Angel�s embrace, a little embarrassed. �Sorry for crying all over you.� She whispered up to him.

Angel smiled back at her. �No need. It�s okay.� He stroked her cheek once more.

Buffy turned away a gazed at Deanna�s closed door. �I-I need to talk to her.� She said and was about to walk into her daughter�s room when Angel�s hand on her arm stopped her.

Letting go of her arm, he gazed deeply into her eyes. �Please, let me talk to her.� He said softly and all Buffy could do was nod.

Walking over to the door with a the huge sign that said Realm of Deanna, he knocked lightly and waited for the little girl to open the door. She did after a few seconds and let him into her room.

Sighing, Buffy collapsed onto the couch again and grabbed the phone, calling her best friend.

*~*~*

�Why did he do this?� Deanna whispered, clutching her pillow to her chest and sitting down onto her bed in Indian-style, leaning against the headboard.

�I don�t know.� Angel replied honestly, sitting down next to her. �But I promise he won�t do anything to you or your mother again.� He told the frightened girl.

�How can you be so sure?� She whispered back. �I�ve never seen him like this! He�s so different!� The girl whined desperately.

�Come here.� He drew Deanna into his arms and she laid her head on his shoulder. �I�m sure, because I know your mother would do everything to protect you and she�s intelligent enough to see if this was a one-time-slip or if he�ll be like this forever. And I don�t think he is, because your mother wouldn�t have fallen in love with a man that hits his family, I�m sure.� He comforted his daughter. It was odd to him, because in a way he felt that this was right, that this was his place to be. That it was his task to be there for this little girl and her mother that he so desperately craved to touch. �And if he turns out to be a major pain in the ass, nevertheless, then I promise to make sure he won�t be able to lay a hand on you and your mother, ever again.� He said in a small, low voice.

�Promise?� Deanna whispered, drawing the fluffy pillow closer to herself.

�I promise.� Angel confirmed, smiling down at his daughter. Even when he couldn�t believe it himself, the little brown-haired girl already had crawled her way directly into his heart. This was his daughter!

Deanna sat up then, and looked deeply into Angel�s eyes. �Why do you do this for us? Why do you want to help us?�

Angel was taken aback by the question. Never in his life he�d believed that a nine-year-old could ask such deep-lined questions. But then, she�d surprised him in many ways, as well as her mother had. �Because you�re my daughter.� He stated simply.

�Good, so that�s the reason you want to help me.� Deanna nodded, understanding. �But why mom? Why do you want to help her?�

Angel reached out and stoked his daughter�s hair, in the same way her mother always did, Deanna noted to herself, and smiled warmly down at her. �Because I�m in love with her.�

*~*~*

There was a knock on the door and Buffy got up from her place on the couch to answer it, revealing a soaked Spike in front of it.

Buffy only chuckled at the sight. �Do you EVER think about taking an umbrella?� She joked sarcastically and then her gaze softened. �Thank you for coming so quickly.� She said and let her best friend step into the apartment.

�Hey, no prob, luv.� He grinned down at her and shrugged off his black leather coat. �You look horrible, by the way.� He commented, mentioning towards her bruised face.

�Oh, thank you very much.� She glared, her voice dripping of sarcasm. �Get beat up for yourself first, then talk again!� She said, then flinched.

�Been there, done that, remember?� He said, referring to the day Riley had found out about the affair he and Buffy had a couple years ago. Spike grinned again and plopped down on her couch, receiving a loud shriek from the blonde.

�Spike! You�re soaked! You�re ruining my couch!� She whined and tried to shove him off said furniture but hissed in pain, her arm wildly protesting against the movement.

But Spike�s grin only widened and she gave up, sitting down next to him.

�How�s the wrist?� He asked, switching on the TV and surfing through it.

�It�s broken, stop asking such stupid questions.� She remarked, before jumping off the couch and walking towards the kitchen. �Cocoa?� She shouted back, receiving a loud �Of course!� From the couch. Spike was sprawled across the whole thing and one wasn�t able to see him unless you could see the front of the lemon-green/yellow cord couch.

�How�s the Lil�?� Spike yelled through Buffy�s living-room into the kitchen.

Buffy returned with two steaming mugs and sat down next to Spike, again. �Angel�s talking to her right at the moment. I think she�s gonna be okay.� She glanced at her friend, handing him a cup. �Oooh, Friends!� She squealed, fixing her gaze onto the television.

Spike groaned. �C�mon, luv. That show�s lame!� He commented.

�It�s not!� Buffy confirmed, shifting her weight onto her feet under her. �It�s nice. Easy.� She told the bleech blonde.

�Easy? C�mon! Emily doesn�t allow Ross to see Rachel, and those two are completely in love with each other, but Ross is married to Emily. Chandler and Monika have an affair, but don�t tell their friends and Joey who�s desperately fighting to not let it slip accidentally! Easy?� Spike asked her, shaking his head.

Buffy smirked at him. �You�re only watching the repetitions, huh? The show�s way further on!�

Really?� Spike asked confused

Buffy grinned at that. Same old Spike. �Really.�

�What are you gonna do about Riley?� Spike asked out of nowhere. He knew she didn�t want to talk about it, but asked nonetheless.

She sighed deeply. �I don�t know. I honestly don�t know.�

�Dump him.� Spike shrugged. �He�s a bug. I know that, Xander knows that and I think you should also know by now.� He got up from the couch and walked around the room. �You have those little marshmallows?�

�In the kitchen cupboard.� Buffy replied absently. �You really think I should break up with Riley? I mean, we�re engaged and all! Isn�t that a little abrupt? He hasn�t slapped me on purpose!� Buffy asked her best friend, following him into the kitchen and switching off the TV.

�Doesn�t make right the fact that he DID slap you!� Spike told her, searching for the marshmallows. �I think something like that should only happen when you�re married for 25 years or something like that. You know - out of midlife-crisis or stuff.� He mumbled, finding the package with the little white marshmallows directly behind the chocolate chip cookies.

�Who ate all the coconut cookies?� He asked the blonde woman.

�You!� She winked at him and grabbed the chocolate chip cookies out of the still open cupboard. Spike always ate everything she had in the house.

�Uncle Spike!� Deanna squealed, running into the kitchen and hugging her Godfather.

Spike lifted her off the ground and choked. �Lil� Bit, I can�t breath!� He coughed and Deanna let go immediately.

Turning around she pulled Angel into the room. �Spike, this is my Dad!� She introduced beaming. �Angel, this is my Uncle Spike!�

�So, you�re the jerk cheating on his girlfriend?� Spike grinned and offered the strange man his hand.

�Spike!� Buffy warned behind him.

Angel glanced uneasily at his daughter, but she was completely calm. Seemed she knew that story. �Yes, that�d be me.� He replied and shook the other man�s hand.

�Thought so.� Spike smirked and strolled into Deanna�s room. �Didn�t you want to show me your new computer-game, sweetness?� He called back.

And Deanna left the room grinning, running after Spike. She was all too happy to leave her parents alone in one room together.

Closing the door behind her she jumped onto her bed, bouncing happily. �I know something you don�t know!� She smirked at the taller man.

Spike chuckled lightly at that and turned in her fluffy pink chair. �And that�d be what exactly?� He asked her sceptically.

Deanna grinned only wider and shook her head. �Nope. Sorry, can�t tell you.� She beamed. Her father�s admit had made her day. All the horror from only an hour ago was completely forgotten.

Spike only shook his head confused. �So? What�s with the computer game?� He cocked an eye-brow at her.

�Oh, forget the stupid game, there are more important things to be discussed here!� She said and crawled to the end of her bed, sitting down right infront of him. �When I tell you something, will you promise me to not tell anyone else? Not even mom? Especially not mom?�

�You didn�t do anything stupid, did you?� Spike asked sceptically. The last time she�d seen the little one like that, Deanna�d ruined her mother�s favourite sweater and replaced it with a new one. Buffy had never found out.

�No.� She shook her head, smiling. �I want to get Mom and Dad back together!�

*~*~*

Buffy walked into her office, still half asleep and her mind far away. She didn�t want to think about what had happened in her apartment two days ago, but her mind obviously had it�s own will. And the many sappy speeches Riley bombarded her answering machine with didn�t help much. She hadn�t called him back once. She couldn�t. Not yet. He�d simply betrayed her trust in him too much. She needed time.

But unfortunately Riley wasn�t about to give her that. He just kept on calling.

And god, how she wanted to forgive him, but she needed time.

This was her fianc�. The one man she�d wanted to spend her life with and from one moment to another she didn�t even know anymore if she�d ever really known this guy.

And what was even more confusing was that now, Riley was back to his old self. The sweet words he spoke onto her answering machine were the ones she was used to from him. But that man was so very different from the man she�d met in her apartment two days ago.

He�d hit her! And that wasn�t even all. Even before that he�d refused to help her, although she�d been in obvious pain. She�d broken her wrist several times and it was now embedded in a cast.

It was a difficult brake. Very difficult. Those were the doctors words after Spike and Angel had dragged her to a hospital despite her protests. She�d be forced to wear that bloody cast for two whole months.

She�d freaked, telling the doc that she couldn�t possibly wear this thing for so long, because there was work she had to do and a new building to plan. She couldn�t do that with her arm in a big white.

And Angel�d been so kind, soothing her and telling her it was okay. He�d do the work that involved her right arm for the next two months, because they were partners. He told her that it all wasn�t a problem and they�d face that burden together. She didn�t have to worry a thing about it.

And she�d asked herself in the same moment why Riley couldn�t be like Angel. Angel�d been on a guilt trip the whole drive to the hospital, apologising to her and telling her how sorry he was for causing that mess.

He�d apologised for a thing that wasn�t even his fault while Riley didn�t even help her with her wrist, but hit her instead!

Why was a stranger so much nicer towards her and treated her with so much more respect than her fianc� did after the whole three and a half years they knew each other?

And why did she dream about Angel�s smile when he told her those kind words at the hospital for the last two nights?

Why did she feel so very much more drawn to the guy she�d spent one single night with than she felt for the man she�d been with all these years?

Why couldn�t her world simply turn to its black and white again? Where did all the different types of grey come from? Why was she suddenly not so sure about marrying Riley anymore, but was drawn to the man she�d pretended to hate for the last fucking ten years???

She walked over to the coffee machine and watched the dark brown fluid be spilled into the pink cup. This was something she did everyday, but today it felt so much different.

Bringing the mug to her lips she nearly spit it all over the desk of her secretary, Dru, her long-time friend from High-School and Spike�s ex.

The coffee was too hot and she knew that. She was simply too tired to take notice of that and placed the cup on the desk, leaning over and grabbing one of the photos that was standing on Drusilla Pearson�s working space.

She knew the photo. She had one of it herself. It was a group-shot of her whole High School Gang. Drusilla, Spike, Willow, Xander, Anya, Ford, Pike, Tyler, Jenny, Amy and herself sitting on a large oversized sofa and the floor in Buffy�s old home.

She hadn�t seen Tyler and Jenny for ages, but still held contact to Pike and Ford. Anya and Xander were married for four years and Spike nearly lived with her, so often he was at her place.

Wondering briefly how her life had changed so much, or where her trusty secretary was for that matter, she placed the picture back on the desk and walked into her office, taking the steaming mug of coffee with her.

She didn�t even notice Angel sitting on the couch next to her door. She was too engrossed into balancing her mug and the files in only one hands, since her right arm was in that stupid cast.

�Thought you�d never come.� Angel commented, startling Buffy and she dropped the coffee on the floor, being able to rescue the files, but yelped when the hot liquid hit her bare leg and the empty mug rolled onto the floor.

Angel jumped up and held her when she fell and she furiously began to rub the burned skin with the end of her black silk skirt that reached her knees.

�I�m sorry.� Angel flinched and lifted her from the floor, collecting the files and placing them on her desk, helping her towards the couch.

�S�okay.� Buffy mumbled, rubbing the sore skin. �I�m just being clumsy. As always.� She nearly growled. �These things ALWAYS happen to me.�

Angel only smiled and nodded. �Actually, I find that kinda cute.� He admitted, flirting, his half-smile firmly in place.

Buffy only grinned and stood up, walking to her desk. �Deanna says hello, by the way.� She told the father of her child, smiling. �She asks if you want to go to the movies with her tomorrow and I�m supposed to tell you how much she enjoyed herself at the musical you two visited yesterday.� She said. Deanna and Angel did something together often, since they hardly knew each other. And every time Deanna asked her mother if she wanted to join them. And even Angel insisted, but she always refused. She didn�t want to disturb the time those two spent together. She�d feel out of place, �cause she knew Angel only was there because of Deanna. She doubted he�d so much as care about her if she wasn�t the mother of his child.

But only with three days knowing him, she knew he was a wonderful father to Enie. And she wouldn�t trade that for the world, because she could see it in her daughter�s eyes how happy the little one was about finally having a father in her life.

�That�s okay with me.� Angel said, smiling. �You�ll come along?� He asked hopefully.

�Nah.� Buffy answered without noticing how Angel�s smile dropped immediately.

�Heard something of your fianc�?� Angel asked her, dropping the subject, much to Buffy�s liking. But there was the one topic she didn�t want to talk about right now.

�Beside the calls? No.� Buffy asked calmly and Xander entered the room, which meant they had to begin to work for the rest of the day.

*~*~*

Buffy walked into her father�s office later that day, with the first plans for the Trump-mall and a few sketches. It was her break, so she wanted this to get done quickly and take a few minutes for herself to take her mind off of all that crap that was her life, before she had to continue working. Stepping into the room, her father gasped.

�OHMYGOD!� Dean exclaimed horrified and rushed to her side.

Shit, she�d forgotten that he didn�t know about her �accident�.

�WHAT the HELL HAPPENED to you???!� Dean Summers screeched, searching for other injuries beside the blue spots in her face and the cast.

�I... um, ... tripped?� Buffy said sheepishly.

�Buffy.� Dean said in a Don�t-Lie-To-Me-I�m-Gonna-Find-Out-Soon-Look.

�It�s nothing.� Buffy shrugged away from her dad.

�NOTHING?!� He yelped. �Honey, your arm�s in a cast and your face looks like someone hit you to a bloody pulp!� He said and grew quieter. �That�s it, isn�t it? Someone beat you up.�

Buffy just looked at him without any emotion in her eyes.

�Riley beat you up.� Dean corrected himself, collapsing helplessly into his chair. �Wh---�

�N-not exactly. It was, um, ..k-kinda an accident. He didn�t want to.� Buffy said, defending her fianc�. �Is he?� A small voice whispered in her head. �Is he still your fianc�? Do you want him to still be your fianc�?�

�H-he DIDN�T WANT TO?!� Dean shouted, but tried to calm once he saw his daughter�s wincing face. �I�m sorry, b-but you look way too injured to tell me he didn�t want to. You have an black eye and cheek, there�s a cut on your lip and forehead and your arm is in a cast! What did he do? Shoved you out of a window, or what?! What got into him?� He stood up again and checked her over, once again. Just to make sure she was alright.

Buffy took a deep breath and looked her father straight in the eye. �Daddy, sit down.� She ordered and he quickly obeyed, making himself comfortable in his leather clad chair.

Buffy sat down in the chair opposite to him and sighed. This was gonna be difficult. �I met him.� She said.

�Who?� Dean asked back, confused.

�Him. I met Deanna�s father a few days ago. He turned out to not be the major pain in the ass I thought he was and he spends time with her. She�s already obsessed with her dad. Two days ago, he met her for the first time and they went to the mall while I was at home with Riley. He had no idea about him and we had a fight. I was so furious that I broke my wrist. I broke it myself, not he. He didn�t come to my help so I snapped and yelled at him when the two came back. Riley was so jealous and thought I was cheating on him and the two began to beat each other up. Or rather Riley beat Angel up. I wanted to stop them and before he could think about it Riley�d shoved me all across the room into the couch table. I haven�t spoken to him since then.� She said in a row, not stopping once and staring at her father with wide, teary eyes, once she was finished.

Dean sighed deeply and got up, kneeling infront of his sobbing daughter. �I�m sorry, honey. I wish there was anything I could do to make this easier for you. But you are to decide what you want now. I can�t help you with that, but I can give you a few advises. And I advise you to look a little closer at Riley. I bet if it happened once, he won�t necessarily stop hitting you. You deserve better, darling. Way better.� He told his daughter and she calmed.

Buffy smiled sadly at him. �Thank you, daddy.� She said in a watery voice.

He wiped her tears away with his thump and took her files. �I�ll look over those, later. But now, tell me, do I know him?� Dean asked.

Buffy got up and smoothed down her black skirt. �Yes.� She smiled back. �You do.� And left the room.

*~*~*

Deanna hopped into Spike�s convertible when her school-bell rang and she got envious looks from most of the girls around when Spike smirked at her and drove off.

�So, mall it is, sweetness?� Spike asked her, glancing quickly at her.

�Yup.� Was all she answered, grinning.

Spike shook his head. Really, that kid came way beyond too much after her mother. �And where exactly are we planning to go, little one?� Her mother�s best friend asked further, turning into the next street onto the Highway.

�First Victoria�s Secret, then that expensive boutique. I saw once - ya know - the one mom always stops in front of to stare at that short red dress? – then a florist and we�re gonna buy tickets to Snoopy on Ice for four people. And of course you are getting me a new pen. Mine�s broken, Philip sat on it.� The small-sized brunette told her godfather smirking.

The breaks of Spike�s ride did a screeching noise and he turned to the drive-out, stopping immediately. �What? You�re NINE! I know I�m corrupting you way too much, but WHAT THE BLEEDING HELL DO YOU WANT IN VICTORIA�S SECRET, SMALL LADY?� The 28-year-old yelped.

Deanna burst out laughing. �Not for ME, you moron! For mom! We�re getting her the right outfit - for her date on Friday!� She slapped his arm. �C�mon, did you really think I---�

�Okay, okay, got it.� Spike said, pulling onto the road again and drove off towards downtown. �Angel�s asked her on a date? I didn�t know that!� Spike grinned.

�She doesn�t know, either.� Deanna smirked.

Spike quirked an eyebrow at her. �He should tell her then. Friday�s the day after tomorrow!�

Deanna�s grin only widened. �Oh, he also doesn�t know.�

*~*~*

Buffy walked into her office again and spotted Xander and Angel arguing about the color of the highlights on the roof near Dru�s desk who was on the phone, talking to someone she seemed to know rather well.

Pouring herself a new cup of coffee she shook her head at both males in the room and opened the door that had the letters B-U-F-F-Y S-U-M-M-E-R-S written on it, eager to find at least a little rest, before break ended.

But the person she met inside of her office was the last person she�d expected.

�Oh, Mr. Lindsey McDonald�s waiting for you in your office!� Drusilla yelled from outside.

�I see that, Dru.� I remarked sarcastically, looking into a smiling blond man�s face.

*~*~*

Spike was in hell. Deanna Summers run around through Victoria�s Secret like that was her average shopping aiming. The girl�d been in that damn shop only one time before! Why did she have to feel so completely comfortable around all those bras and thongs and slips? �Deannaaaa!� Spike whined desperately.

He could clearly see all the stairs the women around gave him for shopping with a small child in those shops. His face had turned a bright red like ten minutes ago and he simply kept staring at the wall infront of him while the youngest Summers girl ran around getting bras and thongs and slips for her mommy.

And that although he knew for a fact that Buffy Summers never wore thongs.

Once in a while Deanna would rush to him and ask for his opinion. One can�t imagine the look he got from the old woman near to them when the little brunette came with a black satin bra and slip that was highly transparent on certain places and covered nothing.

He�d stammered a small �It�s okay. Get it so we can go out of here.� And left the place only to hide from that woman. Since then he'd been facing that wall and Deanna�d already got around five pairs of sexy undies for her mother.

Spike had thanked all the gods in the heavens when Deanna�d announced that she had everything, handed him the bags and they walked off to get that red dress Deanna�d talked about earlier, only to find himself facing a wall again, �cause that boutique turned out to be a place with model-sized *small* transparent dresses and all the woman that changed walking around in stuff like that.

But much to Spike�s benefit they didn�t stay too long there, but went to a cafe nearby to recover from the heat. It was the hottest day in January for around twenty years.

Searching for an empty table they made their way across the cafe and ordered their usual Banana Splits and Ice-bombs along with oversized milk-shakes.

�Where do I get a meteorite from? They say the temperature on earth lowers about 10�C when one hits us.� Deanna complained, plopping down into a seat of the mall�s ice-cafe.

Spike only quirked an eyebrow at her. �You do know, that the last time that happened all the dinosaurs died?�

�Oh, that�s no problem.� Deanna grinned goofy. �There aren�t any dinosaurs around anymore!�

Spike only shook his head, chuckling. �My, you�re exactly like your mom, girlie.�

�What can I say?� Deanna smirked. �Summers women are the best!�

�That they are.� He smiled back, tousling her hair and receiving a growl-like sound from the small girl. �So tell, Ms. Summers. What are you planning for your parent�s date that she needs that amount of lacy underwear?� He asked while the waitress came with their ice-cream and Spike went back to flirt-mode.

*~*~*

�Lindsey!� Buffy said, almost as if convincing herself to see him. Lindsey McDonald was her ex-boyfriend. He was the one before Riley, but it had only lasted for two months before both realised that they were nothing more than friends. And actually they�d planned to stay that way until Lindsey�d introduced her to Riley Finn, his colleague at Wolfram & Hart.

And that was the last time she�d seen him, �cause that day Riley�d made sure that Lindsey didn�t come near her again. He�d been too afraid that Lindsey might still have a hold on her. But of course she never knew that.

Little did she know that Lindsey had infact tried to contact her all that time. Buffy�d been told by her fianc� that he didn�t want to see her ever again, because he and Riley had problems with each other.

But all Riley had wanted out of that was that Lindsey wouldn�t be able to tell Buffy about the thing with his female colleagues. Because Mandy hadn�t been the only one all that time. Mandy was the newest.

�Hello Buffy.� Lindsey smiled warmly at her. �How are you doing? What happened to your arm? And face?� He said, turning serious.

�Nothing.� Buffy replied. Too quickly.

�Uh-huh.� Lindsey remarked. Riley. Of course Riley. He hadn�t expected anything else. And suddenly all of his doubts flew out of his window. Buffy needed to know what he was doing. She deserved better than a man that hit, shouted and cheated on her. �I have to tell you something. And you better sit down, �cause you�re not going to like it.� Lindsey told her and she quickly sat down on to her couch, staring at her former boyfriend in confusion.

*~*~*

�Dru, you�re standing on my foot!� Xander complained, shoving her gently to the side.

Only to be shoved right back.

�Shut up, I can�t hear anything!� Dru snapped, drawing closer to her boss� door.

Angel had to bite down laugher that threatened to escape. Infront of him were two grown adults, bickering at each other with their ears on the door to listen to their friend�s conversation.

�Who�s he?� Angel asked after a while.

�Her ex.� They replied unison and all too quickly Angel was on his feet, crouching down next to them to hear what was going on behind that damn door.

�You guys do realise that what we�re doing here isn�t right, right?� Xander asked around.

�You started it, Xander!� Dru snapped at him.

�Shut up!� Angel yelped at them both, hearing Buffy�s yell all through the room.

*~*~*

�HIS SECRETARY?� Buffy screeched, jumping off from the couch and pacing around the room. �I can�t believe this!� She said desperately. But truth was, she could. She could picture Riley cheating on her. Easily.

�It�s the truth. Go see yourself. They�re going at it like bunnies. Always. And that during work.� Lindsey told her. �I just thought you�d deserve to know. You deserve better than him, Buffy.�

Buffy exhaled deeply and sat down again, covering her eyes with her hands. �I�m not so sure about that anymore.� She whispered.

�What?�

�I mean � why does that keep happening to me?� Buffy whispered brokenly. �All the guys keep leaving me. They are either using me or realise that they only want to be friends. First Taylor who fell in love with my best friend, then Pike for whom I was too boring. Scott, who only had eyes for all the other girls but me. My one-night-stand who was cheating on his fianc�, Parker, who used me for sex. Spike who couldn�t stand touching me anymore, �cause he felt like he was making love to his sister. You. Now Riley. See a trend there?� She looked up, meeting her ex�s gaze. �What is it? Am I clinging too much? Am I ugly? Am I not good?�

�Buffy, don�t talk like that. Don�t!� Lindsey said, sitting down next to her and she rested her head on his shoulder tiredly. �You�re a breathtakingly beautiful woman, a wonderful mother, a caring friend and an intelligent architect. And you�re not clinging. Far from that. You�re keeping everything inside and you don�t open up. You�re a strong person, Buffy. And god knows you�re like a god in bed.� He told her. �You just haven�t met the right man, yet.�

�Do you think I ever will?� Buffy said.

�I promise.� He smiled and got up.

�Thank you, Lindsey.� She said and got up as well, walking him to the door.

Opening it, three persons fell into the room. Buffy only shook her head while Lindsey was laughing his head off and three bright red heads headed back to their work immediately.

*~*~*

Buffy stood restlessly infront of her fianc�s office, staring at the door. She wanted to go in there. She really wanted. But she was afraid.

Afraid of maybe walking in on him and his secretary. �Cause that would make it true.

And there would be another man cheating on her. Only using her.

But chances were high that she would find them going on at it. Because Mandy wasn�t sitting on her desk, it wasn�t break and the girl wasn�t ill. She�d asked one of the employees.

Taking all her strength together, she grabbed hold of the doorknob and turned it around.

And when she opened it she found the blonde girl sitting on his desk with her back to Buffy, clearly in a wave of ecstasy and Riley Finn pounding into her with is eyes closed in pleasure.

Buffy stood there frozen. She was unable to say anything. Unable to move. She just stood there.

And when Riley threw his head back, moaning the girl�s name a single tear made it�s way down Buffy�s cheek.

Coming down from his high, Riley shoved Mandy off of him and opened his eyes, fixing the zipper of his pants.

Looking up he froze.

�Buffy.�

Buffy stood there, staring into his eyes with tears in her own. She felt so lost and hurt and sad.

And betrayed.

Sure, she�d already known that Riley was cheating on her, but seeing it with her own eyes....

Riley looked helpless, shoving Mandy from the desk he made his way to Buffy. �I-It�s not what you think!�

�It�s not what you think?! Bastard!! And exactly that very moment Buffy snapped. All her sadness forgotten, she fell downwards into fuming anger. And for once, she finally opened her eyes and saw the real Riley Finn. �You were *fucking* another girl, *darling*,� Buffy said slowly, gritting her teeth.

�That he was!� Mandy chirped, placing her still naked form into Riley�s leather chair, making herself way too comfortable.

Buffy only looked away in disgust.

But Riley didn�t seem to be able to tore his eyes away....

�RILEY!� Buffy yelled and said man�s head shot around to face her.

�I�m sorry, honey. I won�t do it again. I promise. Please, don�t be angry, darling. It�s gonna be okay!� Riley said. No Buffy would mean no money, wouldn�t it?

Buffy chuckled dryly at this. �Don�t even try boy. I know all about your whores and women.� She said coldly and glared at him, when the sweet blonde eighteen-year-old on his chair gasped in surprise. �You�ve heard right, girl. You�re not the only one.�

Riley boiled with anger. �Who told you? Lindsey? I swear, if I see him I---�

�What? Gonna beat him up like you did with me? Or Angel?� Buffy said calmly. �You�re NOT going to make this about Lindsey. It�s your fault! Lindsey was only being decent enough to tell me what I let myself run into. He made me open my eyes, Riley. He was being my friend!�

�What did that bugger want from you?� Riley said, nearly shaking with rage. �Did you sleep with him?�

Buffy couldn�t believe her ears. Did he REALLY just say that? �He�s not like you, Riley. I for once, am faithful. I always tell the truth. Lindsey is my FRIEND! As are Xander and Spike!�

�Oh, C�mon! You really think they are hanging out with you, because you are their FRIEND? They are just waiting until they can get into your pants! All of them. Especially that Angel-guy. Why else would he help you, huh?� Riley snickered.

�What�s making you like this?� Buffy shook her head. �Why are you such a sick bastard? Why are you doing this to me?�

Riley faced her. �Of course you doing this about me. I�m the bad one. I�m the sick one.� He snorted.

�You CHEATED on me!!� Buffy exclaimed. �Of COURSE this is about YOU! I�m not the one to blame here!�

�Ever thought you might be the one drawing me into her arms? Ever thought that you might be the reason for all this?� Riley told her angry. �You�re closing up to me! Every time I screw you, you�re somewhere completely else. You�re pulling yourself away from me! Ever wondered why all the guys keep leaving you?�

Buffy only shook her head in anger and ripped her engagement ring off her finger, nearly tearing the skin beneath it and throwing it at Riley. �That�s it. We�re over.� She said and turned on her heels, stomping off.

�Yeah? You�re gonna regret this. Face it, Buffy. You�re not able to love. Every boyfriend you�re gonna have in the future is going to either cheat on you or leave you. You can take, but not give. And you�re not such a good lay that someone would want to stay only because of the sex.�

Buffy stopped in silence, the tears returning to her eyes.

Was he right? Was she unable to love? Was it all her fault?

�Yes, Buffy.� Riley smirked. �That�s you, honey.�

And Buffy ran from the office.

Was this her? A woman that closed herself up like no other? Wasn�t she able to give?

She ran as fast as her legs could, never caring about people or cars around her. It was a miracle that all the cars were able to stop before they hit her.

She ran to her own office.

She couldn�t go home. She couldn�t let her little girl see her weakness.

Her vision blurred with tears.

She ran into her office. The hot tears were burning her cheeks when she bumped into a hard chest and collapsed sobbing to the floor.

Angel only held her.

*~*~*

�DEANNA CAMERON SUMMERS!� Spike yelled through the whole mall. �COME HERE, NOW!� And again, he shrunk to a little puddle of mush on the floor when all the glares of the older women around shot daggers at him. God, his grandmother had really left him traumatic.

�Yeah, yeah.� Deanna yelled back, but didn�t make any attempt to do what her godfather had shouted all the same.

Spike groaned and strolled through the toy section of the store they were in, in search for the small-sized Summers girl.

Spotting her in the Hello Kitty section, he had to smirk.

Despite all her protests Deanna Summers WAS still a nine-year-old girl.

And although he�d make sure to tease her about it later, Deanna gazed longingly at a small pink purse with flowers and the Japanese kitten on the front with stars in her chocolate eyes.

Deanna hadn�t even noticed her uncle standing right beside her.

�So, so.� Spike snickered, startling the youngest Summers who froze and let go of the purse.

Turning around she kept her cool facade up. �Let�s go?� She looked up at her uncle William.

Spike only smiled, grabbed the small pink purse in one hand, and Deanna�s little hand in his other and headed towards the blonde employee of the store he�d flirted earlier with in order to pay for the small Hello Kitty thing.

Deanna only grinned up at Spike and found herself once again to be the happiest girl in the world. Really, Spike was the best uncle in the whole world.

Spike handed her the purse and groaned. �Do you know that this Hello Kitty stuff costs a fortune?� he commented and pushed the girl out of the store. �Let�s get you home, Nibblet, eh?�

Deanna only nodded, grinning from ear to ear.

*~*~*

�He � He was so mean. H-he said things, that � He...� Buffy rambled, clinging to Angel who silently listened.

God knew how grateful she was for that. But somehow it scared her that she could open up better to a man she knew for 2+ days than every other member of her friends or family beside Faith or Spike.

The two of them were walking through a nice park with a little lake and Buffy had Angel�s leather jacket draped loosely around her shoulders because of the mild climate and her arm was linked with his.

They�d walked around for the last hour, although they actually had to work right now.

But that wasn�t really a problem. Everybody who knew Buffy knew that she needed a little time off right now. And her father was the boss, so...

�I thought I knew him and he just, - - he,... he was so different. And- for once � I think I saw him, really saw him for the very first time. He � he just... All that mattered to him was the money, I think. And I thought he loved me. He was the first. The only one that ever told me he loved me. And he...� Buffy said, feeling the sobs rise inside her anew.

�I doesn�t matter.� Angel said, desperately forcing down the urge just to grab her and kiss the lights out of her and tell her he loved her.

Instead he focused on her death-grib around his arm and the pain evident in her eyes. �There�ll be plenty other men to tell you just that. I promise. You�re young, Buffy. Your life has just begun, especially your love-life.�

Buffy smiled up at him through her tear-strained face and drew closer to him, resting her head on his shoulder and Angel had to inhale a deep breath to keep himself going forward.

�Thank you.� She whispered and he could feel her breath against his skin. He felt her shiver and laid his arm around her shoulder, making her snuggled more comfortable into him.

�This means a lot to me. You�re the first male in a long time who just comforted me and held me without any intention behind that. Except Spike and Xander, of course. And my dad, �cuz that�d be real gross.� She mumbled and Angel immediately felt guilty for his thoughts of the woman in his arms that were more than only there to comfort or hold her.

Okay, hold her was involved, but....

So Angel only kept silent. How could he possibly reply to that?

Buffy sniffled and let go of his arm, drawing back, much to Angel�s disappointment. �I�m sorry.� She wiped her tears away. �You must think of me as some cry-baby disappointed with her life. I mean, I�m a rich spoiled millionaire�s daughter. Why should you think of me differently?� She said, smiling difficulty through her lowered lashed, staring at her feet.

�No.� Angel, said lifting her chin up. �Buffy, you�re a beautiful and intelligent woman. And a wonderful mother. Deanna is great. She�s the cutest little girl in the world and you did a good a job with her. And I know your life isn�t as easy as it seems. Far from that. I can understand.� Angel tried to comfort her, but Buffy only cried harder and threw her arms around him, hugging him close.

�What�s wrong with me, Angel?� She cried. �Why does this keep happening to me?�

Angel hesitantly closed his arms around her and held her, breathing in the scent of her air. �It�s not you, baby. It�s not you.� He whispered in her ear, stroking her back softly.

It scared him that just such a single thing like her hugging him made him this uncomfortable and he desperately pushed down his feeling for her. If she kept being this touchy like he�d have a HUGE problem later, �cuz he was more aroused by the minute and he only hoped it wouldn�t begin to show in his pants soon, �cuz there was no way she wouldn�t feel it with her body flush against his. And she only pushed herself closer with each sob.

He felt terrible about it. How could he feel like this when the woman he loved was crying, CRYING in his arms?

Buffy quieted a bit, soothed by his gentle words and she once again felt herself drawn to him. But pushed the feeling back immediately.

However, she made no attempt to let go of him. She just stood there with her arms around her one-night-stand from ten years and one day ago.

She turned her head in his shoulder to the side, so that her lips nearly touched his neck and she could only stare at the smooth fabric of his skin, again being overwhelmed by the feeling rushing through her.

She closed her eyes and breathed in.

She felt like she couldn�t let go of this man ever again, because she felt more safe, warm and secure than ever before in her whole life and wondered if she�d felt like this ten years ago, too. Because it felt so frighteningly familiar. And most of all, she didn�t want to. She didn�t want them to ever part again. And it scared her.

�You want to come back to my house?� She sniffled into his shoulder. �Louisa, my housekeeper, comes today. She�s a real gourmet cook.�

�I�d love to.� He breathed into her hair, but neither of them moved to part.

So they stood there, in the complete silence of the comforting embrace.

*~*~*

�No, dear, you look really cute in that!� The elder woman smirked.

�CUTE? God, I must look like some gay freak!� Spike shuddered disgusted and opened the fridge, taking the milk out and placing it to the other ingredients to bake the cookies.

Only to turn around by the sound of a high-pitched giggle and Spike faced Enie. �What�s so BLOODY funny?� He snapped.

But Deanna only had to laugh harder until her laugher sounded more like hysterical sobs and she had to stable herself at the side of the counter to not fall over.

The sight of her *tough, BIG BAD and cool* uncle Spike in a shiny white lace-apron was just too ridiculous.

�Funny.� Spike glared at the small-sized teenie and even Louisa failed to hold down a fit of giggles.

The three of them were standing in Buffy Summer�s kitchen, preparing the lunch.

Louisa had been amazed about how much the bleached-blond man knew about cooking, so she�d simply made him help her and began teaching him a few things when he�d started protesting about the apron he was now wearing.

And honestly, he DID look gay in that.

Louisa calmed and turned to the cooker again, checking the food which caught Deanna�s attention immediately.

�What are you cooking?� She asked happily.

�Noodles, chicken meat and vegetables. The vanilla pudding�s in the refrigerator and Spike bakes the chocolate cookies!� The 50-year-old woman with grey hair told her smiling.

Louisa Michel was with the Summers� family since Buffy was born, �cuz Dean was a disaster in housekeeping.

And when Buffy had moved out with Deanna she hadn�t been able to not take Louisa with her. Nowadays, the nice lady came twice a week, because Buffy could handle things on her own.

�Yummy!� The girl squeaked and hopped onto the counter where Spike put the already made cookies in a bowl and pushed the fresh ones in the oven.

And the door to the kitchen opened only to reveal another set of hysterical giggles.

Like mother, like daughter, huh? �Oh, bloody hell!� Spike mumbled and glared at Deanna who too, fell into another laughing mode. Great. �Shut up, Summers!� He yelped at Buffy. �What�s so unusual about me in an apron, huh?�

Buffy only smirked at him, before falling back into another fit of laugher and nearly collapsing against Angel whose hand she was still holding.

Which didn�t go unnoticed by Deanna and she only smiled knowingly at her dad.

�Hi Louisa!� Buffy said, still smirking. �Angel, this is Louisa, she�s been with us my whole life. Louisa, this is Angel, Deanna�s father.� Buffy introduced, smiling up at Angel.

Louisa's eyes grew wide and she didn�t know what to say. Instead she looked from Angel to Deanna and back to Angel, only to set eyes on the small girl again, trying to see the things that clearly matched. Like the eyes. And the hair. And the smile.

She smiled at Angel Liery then.

One with such a nice smile could only be a good man. She already liked him. �Well, then, Deanna, dear?� She said sweetly, not taking her eyes of the father of that sweet child. �Would you set another plate on the table, please?� She said, smiling warmly, almost motherly at Angel.

�Of course!� Deanna beamed and hopped off the counter.

Spike only grinned at Deanna, when he also noticed their entwined hands. And it seemed they weren�t about to let go anytime soon.

Buffy led Angel out of the room and into the dining-room, where Deanna placed a new set on the table with a goofy grin plastered to a face, munching on one of Spike�s cookies which were surprisingly good.

They both sat down next to each other, their hands still firmly locked and Deanna sat down across from them when Louisa came out of the kitchen with the food, placing the steaming bowls on the wooden table.

Followed by Spike who also exited the kitchen � without apron. �So, there? How come you�re so early, Buff? I thought I was supposed to look after the little one the whole day?� Spike said, sitting down to Buffy�s left while Louisa sat down next to Buffy�s daughter.

�I, um.... I took the day off.� Buffy stammered.

�Oh? You usually never---� Deanna asked surprised.

�There wasn�t much to do.� Angel said quickly, rushing to Buffy�s rescue. �I took the day off, too. Was kinda boring today.� He said calmly and Buffy was immediately amazed how easy it was for him to stay cool while lying.

She just had to figure out if she found that good or bad.

Deanna loaded her plate with noodles, leaving absolutely no space for any kind of vegetable and Buffy only glared at her, so Deanna shoved a few of the noodles on Spike�s plate and took a spoonful of the green stuff. As little as she could, of course.

�Mom?� Deanna suddenly looked up, acting as if she�d thought of something only right before.

�Yeah?� Buffy looked up at her daughter, digging into her own food.

�Spike and I bought tickets to Snoopy on Ice for Friday. Can we go there? Ya know � you, Me, Spike and Dad?� She said sweetly.

And Spike only smirked at her.

Buffy and Angel both choked on their food.

�What did you just say?� Buffy said wide-eyed. Dad! She�d called Angel dad! For the very first time!

�I said, Spike and I bought tickets to Snoopy on Ice for Friday. And If we could go there: you, me, Spike and Angel.� She said innocently. God she was good, her plan was actually working!!!

�No!� Buffy shook her head. �You said Dad. You, me, Spike and DAD!� Buffy said, breathing hard and Angel only stared at Deanna as if she�d grown a second head.

�Did I?� Deanna said, kicking Spike�s smirk off his face under the table.

Buffy sat back into her chair, calming, before she noticed that Angel�s hand in her own was trembling. Hard. So she squeezed it lightly and smiled at him, before she turned to Enie, again. �It�s okay with me. Ask the others.� She said smiling. Spike only nodded and Deanna turned to Angel.

�Dad?� She said again and Buffy felt Angel jump slightly.

�Y-yes.� He said uncomfortably, his voice shaking nearly as much as his hands. � That would be nice.�

�Cool!� Deanna beamed and continued eating.

*~*~*

�Yes, .... Yes, all right..... okay, no! No, problem, really. I�m on it. .... Yes, later. ....Bye.� Angel spoke into the phone until hanging up and gathering his things from his desk. The was really quiet and boring and everybody seemed to go sooner, so did he. Taking an afternoon off didn�t sound too bad, anyways.

Especially when he had so damn much on his mind.

DAD! There was someone out who called him DAD! He knew Deanna only for three days and she already called him dad! This was impossible and it still gave him the wig when he only thought about someone calling him that. It made it all real in a way: He. Was. A. Father. And that meant that there was a little girl out there he was responsible for. And that depended on him. Okay, maybe not THAT much, since she had the best mom in the world and TWO godfathers and all of Buffy�s friends. But the lack of a father still existed.

And now he was going to fill that.

But dad? All he could do was freak at the small one-syllable word. It both meant so very much to him, �cause he wanted children so desperately all his life and also reminded him that if he did something wrong... ANYTHING, it would mean....

�Hey Dad!� Deanna chirped from the doorway and Angel shot up, falling from his chair and breathing hard.

Deanna�s eyes grew wide, then and she rushed over to his desk, helping him stand. �Are you okay, dad?� She said innocently. Oh, not that you misunderstood: She KNEW what that word did to him.

�Yes... Y-yes, I-I�m okay.� He stammered, standing on uneasy legs. �W-why?�

�Oh!� Deanna interrupted. �I was here to visit mom. We wanted to take her to grab something to eat but she�s not finished, yet. Well, and she said you were free now. So I thought... You want to have lunch with me and uncle Spike?� She asked, smiling sweetly.

�You sure you don�t want to wait for your mother instead?� He asked frowning.

�Nah.� Deanna said. �Mom says she has to look a lot of new files over and the things are piling up on her desk. She won�t be finished before eight.... And I really don�t wanna wait that long for lunch!�

Angel shifted slowly from one leg to the other and closed his bag, shrugging on his coat. �Well, I-I don�t know...�

�Oh, C�mon, mate. Spend some time with your little girl.� Spike grinned, appearing in the doorway in his usual leather coat, black jeans and red shirt over the black T-shirt. Really, even with the little Angel knew about that guy, he wasn�t sure if he had something else in his closet beside that outfit. Well, actually that wasn�t true: yesterday the shirt had been purple... Angel nodded, slowly. �Okay. I�m in.� He smiled down at his daughter. HIS DAUGHTER!

�Cool!� The little brunette beamed and he once again wondered how she could still be so small-sized with nearly ten. She was half his size! �Let me grab my bagpack! I forgot it in mom�s office.� And she dashed out of the room across the hall and shot into Buffy Summers�s office without even knocking, which was something nobody even DARED to do, in fear of getting thrown out.

�You already love your daughter, don�t ya?� Spike smirked. �She�s an adorable little thing, isn�t she? Just like her mommy.� Spike said, looking in the direction Deanna ran while Angel closed the door behind him and joined him in the hall, waiting for the little girl to return.

�She is.� Angel smiled back.

�And you also already love the mommy, huh?� Spike said, glancing at the taller man.

And Angel suddenly got really pale. �How-�

�Oh, C�mon, mate. Even my grandmother would see that!� He said, grinning like a fool.

�Well,... I.... Yes. I love her.� Angel said quietly, gaining a sudden interest in his shoes.

Spike nodded. �Don�t hurt her.� He said and Angel�s head shot up to look the other man in the eyes. �If I find out that you, in any way, hurt Buffy or Deanna, I swear I�ll hunt you down and torture you until there�s nothing left of you, understand?� Spike said, suddenly serious.

�I�d never.� Angel promised. And let out a long breath. �Do you know about- ... What Riley.... did?� He asked unsure. He didn�t want to tell too much if Spike didn�t know.

�Huh?� Spike shot around, facing him. �What did the little piece of shit do, this time?� He said.

�T-this time?� He said, but was stopped when the smallest of the Summers tribe hopped next to them and took her father�s hand in her�s and Spike�s in her other.

�Can we go?� She asked and Spike grinned down at her, pulling her to the elevator while Angel could only stare at Deanna�s little hand in his.

*~*~*

�Knock, Knock!� Faith grinned when she stuck her head into her friend�s office. �Hey girlfriend! Working hard, are we?�

Buffy looked up from the file she was working on and smiled at her friend. �Hey.� She said back. �How was your vacation?�

�Cool.� Faith commented and strolled into the room, closing the door and sitting down on the arm of the chair Buffy was sitting on. �Don�t you ever take a break, B.? Half of the employees of that building are sitting in front of that nice little Italian restaurant across the street and having lunch, ya know?� �

�I can�t.� Buffy sighed. �Or else I�m gonna have to stay the night here to get this finished!� She said, gesturing with her hands to her loaded desk. Faith only shrugged and pulled Buffy off the chair onto the couch.

�No way. Here!� Faith said, fishing a box with sandwiches out of her bag and handing it to the blonde. �Eat. Or else you won�t grow big and strong!� She joked and Buffy could only smile at her.

It was amazing how this tough, dark woman could be such a caring friend. If she could trust anyone with her problems, it was Faith. Faith was always loyal to her and would never judge her whatever she did. Even Willow had been a bit distant when she�d first told her friends that she was pregnant all those years ago. All of them had. But not Faith. Faith had stood by her side and patiently waited with her that her friend accepted her current state, then.

�Faith?� Buffy asked, looking up at the pretty brunette.

�Yeah?� Faith grinned.

�Deanna�s father is working for me. Here. And he�s already met Deanna. And he�s so fucking caring and nice and mind-blowing handsome and so damn sexy and, god, I�m falling head over heals for him!!!� Buffy said in a row and Faith had to choke on her own sandwich.

�WHAT?!� Faith screeched. �Why the HELL didn�t you call me?�

�Oh, and I broke up with Riley, �cause he�s been cheating on me for a whole year.� Buffy added. �And I�m having a kind of date with Angel � that�s his name � on Friday. We�re going to Snoopy on Ice with Deanna and Spike.� Buffy said, choking back the tears in her eyes that had shot out when she�s mentioned her ex-fianc�.

However, Faith noticed and guided Buffy�s head to her shoulder. �I�m so sorry, B.� She said. �But, anywho. What�s the prob, honey? You�re falling in love with that guy, you know he�s a bomb in bed and you�re single again. And on top of it all he�s the father of your child, so that�s no problem either.� She said softly.

�I-I�m afraid, Faith.� Buffy admitted, sniffling. �I think I�ve lost my trust in men. And I don�t now. I want to make it work with Angel. If there�s gonna be, any �with Angel�. I need to know if I can trust him first.� She said, looking into Faith�s eyes who nodded at her, telling her silently to continue. �I want to be his friend first. I want to get to know him first. Because.... When I first met Angel, he was a guy cheating on his fianc� with a teenager. And in a way, he�s done the exact same thing Riley�s done to me. And I�m just so confused.� Buffy said, rubbing her eyes tiredly. �And I�m scared, Faith.�

�I know, sweetie.� Faith said, rubbing Buffy�s arm gently. �You�ve had some bad luck with men, but that doesn�t mean that there�s no prince charming out there. And who knows, maybe it�s Angel. By the way: Which mother names her son ANGEL???�

Buffy chuckled lightly at that. �It�s a beautiful name!� Buffy protested.

�It�s a GAY name!� Faith remarked and Buffy had to laugh, forgetting her tears for a moment.

*~*~*

�Ya know? The first weeks of a new project, like now, mom�s always busy and staying at the office. Then Spike, or Faith or Dean, Willow and Tara or Uncle Xander are babysitting me. But after three weeks or so, she only has to give introductions and stuff. Then she almost always stays at home and does the work from there and goes to the construction work once a week to look how things are going. It�s always like that. And mom loves that. That�s kinda been the reason she�s become this instead of a lawyer.� Deanna rambled, backing up in front of her father.

�A lawyer?� Angel chuckled, disbelieving.

�That was her Ally McBeal phase. But she dropped the thought when she realised that lawfirms don�t usually have such a toilet.� Spike remarked, leafing through the girlie magazine DEANNA�d just bought.

Angel had to grin at that. Really, he loved learning such little things about Buffy Summers. And he kept every single information burned into his scull, in order to be able to remember them at the right times, considering he�d need them in the future with Buffy. �Who�s Faith?� He then asked, turning to his daughter. HIS DAUGHTER!

�She what you�d consider a real Bad Girl. She looks like a slut and is all into the danger. But that�s just the facade she keeps up. Actually she�s a real softie and goes for the fluffy stuff in life.� Spike answered.

�I CAN talk for myself, ya know?� Deanna grumbled, stopping and waiting until the two males walked beside her, before she turned around and grabbed her dad�s hand again.

�Know that, ducks.� Spike smirked down at the small girl, lightening a cigarette and shoving the lighter back into the pocket of his black leather duster.

�Woah!� Deanna shrieked before running off towards a Toys�R�Us.

Spike had to laugh out loud and Angel only stopped in the middle of the street, confused. The three of them had spent the whole day out and it was now already late afternoon.

�Well, well. See, Angel? THAT�S Deanna Summers! A small, nine-year-old with her kid-desires.� Spike shouted towards the shop to make sure the girl could overhear every single syllable.

Angel only grinned and began strolling towards the store slowly with Spike falling in step beside him.

�So, what was that with Fish-Boy?� Spike said curious, suddenly serious.

�You�ll have to ask Buffy for that one. I�m in no position to tell you.� Angel mumbled, staring ahead.

�C�mon Angel, work with me here. The Buffster�s way too proud to tell anyone what that bastard does to her. It�s always been like that. Last time Deanna � the frightened DAUGHTER � told me. Buffy gets herself in these messes and is fucking AFRAID to turn around and run away from it. It�s a miracle in my eyes that she told YOU! You�re the jerk cheating on his fianc�. You�ve been exactly that for the past ten years. ...� Spike said outraged, but calming slightly on mid-way. �But ya know what, you�re not the asshole I expected you to be.�

Angel only kept on staring. Sometimes at the street ahead, but mostly at his shoes or the sky with the white cotton-like clouds that seemed to fly from edge to edge across the city. �Kinda windy today, huh?� He grumbled.

�Angel. What. Did. He. Do. To. Her. Did he slap her? Cheat on her?� Spike asked, grabbing the other man by the arm sleeve and yanking him around.

But Angel only kept silent, looking into the other man�s eyes.

Which more than answered Spike�s question. �No!� Spike shook his head. �No way! He DIDN�T! Not to her! NO!�

He yelled for everyone on the streets to hear, but for once he wasn�t embarrassed. �Oh, I�m SO gonna beat that little piece of fuck into a bloody little pulp, peel the skin off his slimy body and rip off his fucking balls, before I shove �em down his throat!� Spike cursed, stomping down the road and running off towards the Finn-residence that wasn�t too far away, throwing the magazine against a wall nearby.

�Where�s Uncle Spike going, Dad?� Deanna asked, startling Angel who hadn�t noticed her return.

�Nowhere.� He answered. �Nowhere, Come on, sweetie, let�s get you home.� He said and lead her through the mall toward the entrance.

*~*~*

�I can�t BELIEVE Spike let her buy THAT! C�mon, not even *I* haven't been able to get him into a Victoria�s Secret when we were *together*!� Buffy exclaimed, eyeing the lazy, not-too-much-hiding objects in the red box, along with the *gorgeous* red dress.

�Oh, you�re SO gonna wear these lacies for your date on Friday, girlfriend!� Faith laughed, holding the dress in front of Buffy�s body.

�NO!� She yelped. �C�mon, that�d be like I�d only want to jump in bed with Angel!� Buffy protested.

�Nah. I�ll talk to old Spikey. As much as I know him, the four of you will probably have dinner in some expensive restaurant. So you�ll HAVE TO dress up!� Faith said, turning the dress around and holding it in front of herself. �Think you�ll let me borrow that one, sometime?�

�Okay, I�ll wear it.� Buffy said, smiling.

�Good girl!� Faith smirked, patting Buffy�s head playfully.

�So?� Faith said, moving closer to the blonde. �Do we wanna get him into bed, or don�t we wanna get him into bed?�

*~*~*

�Do you wanna stay a bit? I�m sure mom should be here in a few minutes. It�s late!� Deanna said, unlocking the door and stepping into her and her mother�s home.

�Sure.� Angel smiled and Deanna smiled back, before dashing towards the ringing phone.

Once the girl was out of sight Angel didn�t know what to do in the strange apartment so he walked around, watching the framed pictures of Buffy, her friends, and Deanna on the wall.

He had to chuckle catching sight of a cosmic-blue haired Buffy sticking out her tongue, held by both Spike and Xander and another one that showed what he assumed a four-year-old Deanna covered from hair to toe in muck.

There were other pictures, like the one where Buffy, clearly tired, was holding a very new-born Deanna Summers that made him dread the time he lost in his daughter's life, but when he saw the happy smile on the young mother�s face he forgot everything around him.

Just then he heard two people talking in the room next to him.

�I won�t lie, Faith. I AM attracted to him. It�s just. I already told you. I want to be his friend. I can�t be hurt again. I can�t. I couldn�t stand it one more time.� He heard the voice of his love say and backed away from the door, hurt, towards his daughter who was still on the phone.

�I, .... I forgot, I have a meeting. Sorry. Bye Deanna!� He whispered to the brunette and walked out of the apartment door, before Deanna could say anything.

�At.... eight o�clock?� Deanna called after him, confused.

*~*~*

Riley was sitting in front of the TV, as always, when he heard a hard pounding on his door and he got up, grumbling and cursing.

But froze when he saw the smirking face behind his door.

�Hello, Finn!� Spike said, much too friendly.

*~*~*

�Okay, til tomorrow! Yeah, I�ll tell her. Bye Spike!� Deanna chanted into the phone and rushed towards her mom�s bedroom, surprised to find her mother�s brunette friend sitting on the large bed.

�Hey sunshine!� Faith grinned and held her arms open for the 4�4� small girl.

�Hi!� Deanna beamed, hugging the dark girl fiercely, before jumping next to her mother on the fluffy satin sheets, bouncing off the mattress.

�How�s your day been, honey?� Buffy smiled and then threw the red dress onto her daughter. �And care to explain what you�ve planned for me to wear this?�

�Nothing!� Deanna smiled, then moved to her mom�s side, pouting. �Moooooooooom?�

�What?� Buffy asked sceptically and Faith only smirked.

�Claire�s got a sleep-over tomorrow night and I�m invited. Pleeeeease, can I go there?� Deanna pleaded with her best puppy-eyed face.

�Enie!� Buffy said. �We�re going to Snoopy on Ice tomorrow, because of you!�

�I know, and I will. The sleep-over begins late and I already talked to Uncle Spike on the phone! He says he can drive me to Claire�s after Snoopy on Ice. And Angel can bring you home, then!� Deanna explained, performing like an Oscar-actress.

Her mother didn�t need to know that she was invited to that party for over a month and didn�t really want to go, but she�d do a lot for her parents to get back together.

�Please, Mom? Pleeease?� Deanna could actually see the ice break in her mother�s face and had to bite down a giggle. Literally. She bit so hard, her cheeks and teeth hurt.

��Kay.� Buffy grumbled. �You won.� Buffy said and Deanna nearly knocked her out by jumping onto her and hugging her so strongly that Buffy feared the little oxygen she�d left in her lungs.

�You�re the best mom in the world! Ever!� Deanna charmed and only hugged her tighter. And of course Faith didn�t help her.

The girl only sat there. And laughed. And smirked. And laughed.

�Enie! ENIE! I CAN�T BREATH!� Buffy yelped and the small girl finally let go, being cuddled and tickled by Faith.

�Isn�t it past your bed time, cutie?� Buffy asked and Deanna�s smile fell.

Grumbling she walked out of the door.

�And don�t forget to brush your teeth!� Buffy called after her.

�Really, B. You�ve got the cutest daughter in the world. And she�s SO small!� Faith grinned goofy. �But back to the main topic: Was he good or not? Spill!�

�Faith!� Buffy exclaimed. �Don�t you think my first time is MY business! Really, with you it�s like I�m still in HIGH SCHOOL!�

�C�mon, girlfriend. It�s ME! You know about my orgasm at McDONALD�S last year!� Faith continued pleading. �Sides, you need something to distract you from that stupid cast your arm�s in!� Faith smiled warmly.

Buffy�s head shot around and she smiled at Faith.

It was the first time Faith had mentioned ANYTHING about her injuries.

*~*~*

�Good morning, Dru!� Buffy chirped when she entered her office and poured herself a cup of steaming coffee, and as always it was still way too hot and � as always � Buffy burned herself with the hot liquid.

Dru only chuckled.

�I hate this cast!� The blonde advertising executive cursed under her breath.

And Drusilla was careful to avoid reminding her that Buffy did that EVERY morning, since the morning she drank something hot. Cast or not.

But sleep had been kind to the young mother and the bruises in her face and the black eye had nearly faded away completely, leaving the deep cut on her lip all alone.

�You look better today!� Dru smiled and held the door open for her boss, who was struggling with the many files under her arm to handle the doorknob.

�I know!� She smiled back. ��Sides, I have to. I�d look ridiculous if I�d go all messed up, dressed up to a �family date�.� She told the brunette and mumbled a thanks when said brunette helped her with the door.

Dropping all of her files to the floor she was at least able to rescue her coffee when she � once again � got startled by the father of her daughter standing n the middle of her office.

�Oh, and Angel�s waiting for you, inside!� Dru called and shut the door.

Angel began laughing like a loon and collected her files from the floor, placing them on her desk. �You were right. You ARE clumsy.� He teased her, receiving a mock-glare from Buffy.

�You look good today.� He said, and other than when Dru had said it, Buffy found herself blushing.

�Thanks.� Buffy whispered, drawing a lock of golden hair behind her ear.

And Angel had to remind himself over and over that he KNEW she just wanted to be friends with him and that he�d gladly be that for her, rather than have her not in his life at all, in order to keep himself to not OBVIOUSLY stare at her.

�So?� Buffy smiled at him. �Prepared for Snoopy on Ice? Oh, and dress up! Spike wants us to eat at some restaurant at 6o�clock. Deanna�s wish.�

��Kay!� He smiled back, sitting down on her couch. �I�ve never been to Snoopy on Ice before.� He admitted.

�No? Boy, what kind of childhood have you had?� Buffy teased. �I LIVED for Snoopy on Ice. Once a year, my father would visit it with me and take me Backstage, and every single year I�d be thrilled the same. I just loved it. But I loved ice-skating anyway, sooo...�

�You�re into ice-skating?� Angel smiled, surprised.

�All winter sports. But mostly ice-skating, yeah.� Buffy smiled. �One of the kids in my kindergarten said that momm�s would take their daughters ice-skating. And since I only had a daddy I wanted to show them that I could do that on my own, too. I was obsessed. My room was a whole Dorothy Hamill shrine. That went on till Junior High.�

Angel chuckled and looked at his hands. She was just too good to be true in his eyes. Turning in his seat in her leather couch he looked her in the eye. �When was the last time you were on your skates?� He asked her.

�Woah, um, Deanna�s first birthday I guess. Dad would take me and all of my friends to the rink out in downtown.� She said, exhaling.

�Then, I think I know what we�re gonna do next Friday, since today�s already planned out.� Angel grinned up at her.

Buffy had to smirk right back at him. �You? Angel Liery on skates? Can you even skate?�

�Actually, no.� He admitted, grinning.

�But you can show me how.� He said, flirting.

*~*~*

Buffy stood in front of her mirror, smoothing down the soft fabric of her blood-red dress that hugged her curves just in the right places.

The dress was knee-length, but only transparent from mid-thigh to knee and a low cleavage, hold by two tiny spaghetti straps. Her hair was pulled up artfully, revealing her neck while a few single strands of hair fell to their full length. And her feet were embedded in simple red high heels, matching the dress.

And when Deanna entered her mother�s bedroom she was still frowning into the mirror, biting her lip and turning around every third second.

�Wow, mom, you look *awesome*!!� Deanna breathed, looked her up and down. **Angel�s gonna be knocked off his feet!** She grinned to herself.

�You think so?� Buffy asked her daughter way too unsure.

�I know so! Mom, you�re breathtaking!� Deanna convinced her, tugging at her uninjured arm. �C�mon, Spike�s parking in the driveway and Angel just arrived.�

Deanna herself wore a simple black, button-up, satin dress with puffed sleeves that made her look like a cute, little pre-schooler, matching with the two ponytails.

�HELLO? Could you *please* hurry up?! We�ve got bloody *reservations*! Do you *know* what that means?!� Spike cursed, yelling towards Buffy�s bedroom. �Women!�

�We�re coming!� Deanna shouted back and turned back towards her mother. �Mom? Are you ready?�

�Yes.� Buffy breathed out, breathed in. �Yes. I think so.� She said, turning to the door that Deanna was about to walk out of.

�No!� She yelped and ran back inside her walk-in closet, leaving a groaning nine-year-old behind.

�Oh, please, someone just shoot me! My mom�s worse than me!� Deanna grumbled before jumping after her legal guardian. �MOOOOM!�

�I�m ready! I�m ready!� Buffy shouted, exiting in a black, � leather coat, before stopping in front of the mirror. Again.

�Can I do this?� She asked, turning to her daughter again.

�YES!� Deanna exclaimed. �Now, COME ON!� The small-sized brunette huffed and ran out of the room, grabbing her jacket from the couch.

�*GOD*, she�s worse than *Willow* in picking out her clothes!� Deanna told Spike, glaring.

Who only smirked in reply. �*Nobody* is worse than Willow in that point, pet. Believe me.� He tucked at one of Deanna�s pigtails.

�Bloody Hell, BUFFY!� He shouted towards room N� 3, where the blonde, 27-year-old still hid in.

Angel stood in the doorframe, smiling. He kind of enjoyed that little play in front of him. It made him feel like he was a part of her little family.

It was kinda nice to feel like that.

But he froze when the stunning blonde finally made her way out of that bedroom of her�s.

And she took his breath away. So the only thing he could do was stare when she stopped in the middle in the room and turned in a full circle.

�You like?� She asked both Angel and Spike, but only looked at the dark-haired, taller male in the room.

And Angel snapped out of it, and smirked at her instead, offering his arm to her. �Shall we, beautiful?� He charmed and Buffy took his arm, smiling right back.

�We shall.� She said and together they strolled out the door, leaving Spike and Deanna behind, who was grinning like a fool at her godfather in an I-told-you-so kind of way.

*~*~*

�Spike, is this the *same* tux you wore on our Prom?!� Buffy exclaimed, looking closely at her life-time friend for the first time that evening.

But Spike only smirked at her. �Isn�t it amazing that I still fit into the clothes I wore nine years ago?� He replied and Buffy only shook her head in disbelieve.

�I *can�t* believe you!� Buffy grinned, picking half-heartily through her Spaghetti Napoli.

�And *what* did you earn that bruise for?� She said, gesturing towards his swollen forehead.

Spike only shrugged, glancing at Angel.

There was no need to tell Buffy about his visit at Riley�s place, was there?

�He fell.� Angel covered quickly, nervously. �Yesterday, wh-when we were out with Deanna.�

�Yeah!� Deanna confirmed. �He tripped over a mailbox.� The girl said, totally straight-faced. �He got *distracted* by that woman in a shop bending over to pick up her fallen purse, nearby.�

Buffy only quirked her eyebrow at Spike and finished her meal. Earning a �FINALLY!� from her daughter who immediately grabbed her mother�s wallet and laid the money on the table, picking up her jacket and running to the door, jumping from one foot to the other and waiting for the others to arrive. It was already late and they had to hurry in order to arrive at the Ice Rink in time.

�Come on!� Deanna grumbled quietly. They were in a formal establishment, after all. �Snoopy on Ice won�t bloody wait!�

�She spends way too much time with Spike.� Buffy told Angel, shrugging on her coat who only smiled back at the young mother, walking her out of the building.

�Deanna, wait up! It�s dangerous!� Buffy called after her daughter who had crossed the busy street all on her own, between the many driving cars.

Together they walked towards Spike�s car that parked near to the restaurant and unlike than Spike, Angel held open the door for both Deanna and Buffy and the blonde noticed not for the first time that evening how sweet he really was.

She could never ever imagine Riley doing something so gentleman-like.

Deanna, after long complaining, sat in the passenger�s seat, next to a driving Spike and Buffy and Angel were jammed in the back seats of Spike's small, black sports car.

�I kind of like this.� Buffy whispered up to Angel, her head resting on his shoulder.

�Huh?� He whispered back, starlet.

�I like it. You know, it�s kinda like family.� She said, smiling up at him.

And even if it sounded clich� and corny, his heart melted at that moment. �I know the feeling.� Honestly, he wanted to freeze this moment so it would never end. He hadn�t been this happy for a long time.

�We�re almost there! We�re almost there!� Deanna chanted in the passenger�s seat, bouncing up and down and fumbling with the sleeve of her jacket.

*~*~*

�Bye!� Deanna shouted out of the open car-window when Spike drove off with her towards Claire Hudson�s home where she�d spend the night.

�Bye,� Angel and Buffy shouted after her unison, chuckling at each other and waving to the retreating sports car.

�I can walk you home if you want.� He suggested. �You know, it�d dark and all and the only car there was with us this night drove off two seconds ago, so...� He rambled uneasily which Buffy had to grin at.

�I�d love it if you walked me home, Angel,� She confirmed, smiling at the large grin appearing all over his handsome face.

So they stumbled down the street off towards her home, giggling and joking around the whole time, because Deanna Summers had made more than sure that they drank more than a little more than necessary and the two of them barely made to her apartment door with out getting lost on the way.

And when she invited him in on a glass of wine, who was he to deny this beautiful woman?

So there they sat in her living room across from each other, flirting and completely drunk.

That was, until Buffy shot around the table and attacked Angel�s lips, sucking his tongue into her mouth. Straddling his lap, she pressed her knees on both sides of his thighs.

Angel didn�t even recover from the first surprise when Buffy ripped the black fabric of his silk shirt off his body, tracing the lines of his chest with her blood-red colored fingernails. He moaned into her mouth and kissed along her jawline before moving to the soft skin of her neck, massaging her legs gently with long, firm strokes of his hands.

Buffy stripped him off his pants, then, leaving him only in his silky black boxers while Angel unzipped her dress and pushed it ever so slowly down her body, kissing every inch of skin it revealed.

�Oh god, Buffy:� He groaned and the blonde pushed him off the couch, shoving him not too gently through the hall into her bedroom, all the while never losing contact to his skin.

*~*~*

**Oh God** was the first rational thought Buffy could think of. What did she do?? Panicking she jumped out of bed and slipped on the first fabric of cloth around.

Which happened to be his button-up shirt and her eyes widened. She was about to rip it off her body again when she lay eyes on the man sleeping so peacefully in her large bed and she could only think about how right it looked to have him there.

And sure enough, the shirt stayed on her body and she sat back down on her bed again, stroking his arms ever so lightly, so that she wouldn�t wake him up.

And for the first time, since she laid first eyes on him, she noticed exactly HOW really beautiful that man was. Not that she hadn�t noticed before, she had eyes, hadn�t she? But it was the way that little smile played along his lips in his sleep and the even, slow moving of his chest while he breathed in and out. In and out. In and out. The way he lay so still, unmoving and silent expect this silent breathing.

He was sound asleep and he looked so very *damn* peaceful that Buffy could do nothing but fall in love with right that moment. Hard.

And it scared her. Hadn�t she wanted to be friends with this *gorgeous* man just a few hours ago? Hadn�t she ended her last relationship only a few days ago?

And what if he didn�t feel the same way? What if he didn�t even remember their lovemaking? He had drunk even more than her, after all.

Panicking again, she jumped off the bed, sprinting into her kitchen and switching on the coffee machine, hitting her damn broken arm, or more hitting the cast, against the side of the counter and she bit down a scream of pain, afraid she�d wake Angel up in the process.

But what if he felt the same way as she did? What if he was in love with her, too?

Well, only one way to find out....

*~*~*

next chapters

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1