Where it all Begins

Disclaimer: Joss is God, Joss is King, Joss our Lord own everything!
Notes: This is the first of my rewrite series and replaced Welcome to the Hellmouth & the Harvest. It's similar to the show with the exemption of Angel being human and Giles nephew... Also, Dawn�s already there, I kinda like writing her. Other than the others to come, this is really close to the ep, since it�s the one thing were they meet for the first time, which again, isn�t so different from the show... Hope you�ll enjoy it anyway! *^_^*
#2 Note: I�m German, and this is unbeta-ed, because I just can�t find the time to let it get done... So, there WILL be mistakes. Sorry :o(
#3 Note: Every scene I�m leaving out from the original episode happens just the same in the re-write series. Keep that in mind.
Feedback: PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! *beg**wimper**prayingonmyknees*
Distribution: Everyone who�s already hosting my work. All the others: Just tell me where it�s going! URL�s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dedication: To Eva, �cause I�m torturing her with this :o) She�s always angry when I start new fics when I�m not finished with the old ones... which I should seriously stop, �cuz I�m not even finished with Soul Saving and Eternity.... Waaaah! So much to do!!!!!! ~sob~ Anywayz, honey, if you get to read this, I�m sorry I didn�t drop you a line in the past days, but you�re e-mail seems to be broken! The mails just keep coming back!!!!!! ... So, I�m gonna have to write you a letter... *cry*, sooo expensive!!!! *G*

~

Prelude

In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the Slayer.

*~*~*

It was a sunny warm day and the little town called Sunnydale was nearly shining with it�s simple beauty. It was a wonderful morning and Joyce Summers brought her two daughters to school in her jeep, manoeuvring her way through the chaos that was Sunnydale High before first period.

�Okay!� Joyce commented.

�This school looks cool. Can I go there, too, mom?� Dawn said. She didn�t want to go the elementary school. The students there were way beyond stupid and everybody treated her like a child. Oh how she envied her sister for being able to go to High School.

Buffy only rolled her eyes at her sister�s comment and got out of the car, eyeing the new school.

�Have a good time. I know you're gonna make friends right away, just think positive.� Joyce said and gave a thumps up, receiving a giggle from the backseat.

Buffy looked through the open car door and gave her mother a quick nod, turning to go and closing the door behind her.

�And honey?� Joyce called after her eldest.

Buffy looked back at her mom again and nearly had to giggle when she saw her ten-year-old sister trying to climb into the passenger�s seat with her seat belt still on.

�Try not to get kicked out?� Her mother nearly pleaded.

�I promise.� Buffy smiled back warmly. She wouldn�t get into trouble, again with her destiny past her. There was nothing stopping her here from a normal life.

�Okay.� Mrs. Summers smiled and pushed Dawn back into the backseat. The little girl protested loudly and Buffy took that as a sign to go. Facing the school she let out a deep breath. She could slightly hear her mother�s car drive off towards Dawnie�s school and she began walking up the stairs, watching all the other pupils around her. One stuck to her immediately, although she could only see his back. Dark hair, milky skin and black clothing. Tall. When all boys at this school where this gorgeous then she could really picture herself in this High School.

She didn�t even notice the guy skating through the crowd. � 'Scuse me, comin' through, pardon me, 'scuse me, whoa! 'Scuse me, not sure how to stop! Please move, whoa, 'scuse me...� He yelled and the people around him jumped out of his way, cursing after him, �...Woah!� He exclaimed while noticing the new girl and promptly crashed into the stair railing. Falling beneath it, he grunted in pain. Willow Rosenberg walked up and had to step high to avoid tripping over his legs, shifting shyly she smiled down at him..

Xander shook off the pain, but kept lying. �I'm Okay. I feel good.�

Smiling, Willow tucked her hair behind her ear.

Noticing his shy friend for the first time, he looked up at her. �Willow! You're so very much the person that I wanted to see!� Getting up, he walked with her.

�Oh, really?� The red-head beamed.

They strolled towards the school, making their way towards the crowd. Sunnydale High was the town�s only High School, so it was extremely crowded, although Sunnydale itself was very small.

Xander glanced at her. �Yeah. You know, I kinda had a problem with the math.�

Willow was a little confused at that. �Which part.� She asked her childhood friend she had a crush on.

�The math.� Xander nodded his head in emphasis. �Can you help me out tonight, pleeeease, be my study buddy?�

�Well, what's in it for me?� Willow grinned.

�A shiny nickel!� Xander said, grinning back at her.

�Okay. Do you have 'Theories in Trig'? You should check it out.� Willow told him, nearing the school doors.

�Check it out?� Xander asked confused.

�From the library? Where the books live.� She told him, smiling slightly.

�Right, I'm there! See, I wanna change...� He told her and the both of them entered Sunnydale High.

*~*~*

Buffy said in Principal Flutie�s office, her school records on his desk. He walked around the desk in order to take a closer look at them. Completely obvious of how nervous Buffy is.

�Buffy Summers, sophomore, late of Hemery High in Los Angeles. Interesting record, quite a career...� Mr. Flutie read aloud. He sat, took the sheet and tore it into four pieces, smiling at her. �Welcome to Sunnydale! A clean slate, Buffy, that's what you get here. What's past is past. We're not interested in what it says on a piece of paper, even if it says...� He quickly scanned the text and his eyes widened. �Whoa.�

�Mr. Flutie...� Buffy began in a slightly desperate voice. Great, this started way perfect.

�All the kids here are free to call me Bob.� He interrupted her.

�Bob...� Buffy began anew but was once again stopped.

�But they don't.� He quickly added, making her mouth shut. He took the four pieces of the sheet and smoothed them carefully, beginning to reassembling the torn paper.

Buffy struggled to find the right words in an attempt to explain the mess. �I know my transcripts are a little... colorful.�

�Heeey... We're not caring about that. Do you think, uh, 'colorful' is the word?� He taped the paper, frowning at the blonde sitting opposite of him. �Not, uh, 'dismal'?�

�Wasn't *that* bad!� Buffy said in a lousy attempt to defend herself.

�You burned down the gym.� He stated, the shock mixed with a bit of fear clearly written in his eyes.

�I did, I really did, but...� Buffy exhaled. �You're not seeing the big picture here, I mean, that gym was full of vampi... asbestos.� She rescued herself, groaning inwardly at how stupid this sounded.

�Buffy, don't worry. Any other school they might say 'watch your step', or 'we'll be watching you'... But, that's just not the way *here*. We want to service your needs, and help you to respect our needs. And if your needs and our needs don't mesh... But, don�t worry. You�re not the only one with a criminal past, here. We have a young social worker, here. He works instead of jail...�

He put the poorly repaired sheet back into her file and slapped it shut, facing her. Buffy only gave him a thin, nervous smile in reward.

*~*~*

The teacher wrote �Black Death� onto the board and turned to face the class. She looked mid-aged and had brown shorter hair. Buffy thought of her as a teacher she might learn to like.

�It's estimated that about twenty-five million people died in that one four-year span. But the fun part of the Black Plague is that it originated in Europe how?� The teacher asked the class, but received no answer. The class was actually concentrating and working, because all of them were taking notes. As did Buffy and Cordelia, who was sitting next to the blonde.

�As an early form of germ warfare. If you'll look at the map on page sixty-three you can trace the spread of the disease into Rome, and then north...� The teacher continued and Buffy looked around for help. She had no book. But Cordelia immediately came to help and shared her book.

�Thank.� Buffy whispered towards Cordelia, smiling.

�And this popular plague led to what social changes? Steve?�

Steve was rescued by the bell and all the pupils left the classroom. Cordelia turned to the new girl. �Hi! I�m Cordelia!� She told the other girl and offered her hand, smiling sweetly.

Accepting her hand, Buffy smiled back. �I�m Buffy.�

�If you're looking for a textbook of your very own there's probably a few in the library.� The brunette said, gathering up her things.

�Oh, great, thanks. Where would that be?� She said, getting up. Trying everything to seem nice towards the other girl. She didn�t want to make enemies on the first day.

Cordelia took her book under her arm. �I'll show you, come on.� She said and Buffy gladly followed her. They made their way through the hall and strolled along the classrooms. �So you're from Hemery, right? In L.A.?�

�Uh, yeah.� Buffy replied Cordy, following her through the entire building.

�Oh, I would *kill* to live in L.A. That close to that many shoes?� She beamed, gesturing with her hands all the time, receiving a chuckle from Buffy.

�Well, you'll be okay here. If you hang with me and mine, you'll be accepted in no time. Of course, we do have to test your coolness factor. You're from L.A., so you can skip the written, but let's see. Vamp nail polish.� Cordelia contered, waiting for Buffy to answer.

�Um, over?� She replied, sounding hopefully.

�So over. James Spader.� She glanced at the girl beside her.

�He needs to call me!� The blonde grinned

�Frappaccinos.�

�Trendy, but tasty.� Buffy replied in a sure voice. After all, she was getting into it.

�John Tesh.�

�The Devil.�

�That was pretty much a gimme, but... you passed!� Cordelia smiled at the new girl.

�Oh, goody!� Buffy sighed relieved.

�Oh, you need to see the social worker. The teacher use him as some kind of all-in-one tool. He makes coffee, jumps in and teaches when a teacher is ill, works in the library and so on. And he�s so gorgeous, as hot as every Hollywood star clutched together into one hot man. Nobody knows what he did, but he�s doing the job here instead of jail. But this just makes him so mysterious. You have to see him.� Cordy winked at Buffy playfully.

�I think I do need to.� Buffy commented chuckling when they turned towards the drinking fountain. Straightening up, Willow turned to them.

�Willow! Nice dress! Good to know you've seen the softer side of Sears.� Cordy snapped while smiling. Buffy was a bit of shocked of the brunette�s attitude and watched to two girls without saying a word.

�Uh, oh, well, my mom picked it out.� Willow mumbled, a bit embarrassed

�No wonder you're such a guy magnet. Are you done?� She asked the poor girl. Willow looked at the fountain, then back at Cordelia. �Oh!� The red-head replied and turned to leave.

Buffy watched her go a moment, seeing the girl, ... Willow was it, turn back and look at her from time to time. Being snapped out of it by Cordelia�s talking she turned towards the brunette, again.

�You wanna fit in here, the first rule is: know your losers. Once you can identify them all by sight they're a lot easier to avoid.� She said, glancing over at Willow to make her point clear.

Buffy let out a nervous laugh and nodded, looking at Willow again, who had gone through the door at the end of the hall and had looked back at them before continuing.

The two walked further down the hall until they reached the library and stopped infront of it. �And if you're not too swamped with catching up you should come by the Bronze tonight.� Cordelia added.

�The who?� Now Buffy was lost again.

�The Bronze. It's the only club worth going to around here. They let anybody in, but it's still the scene. It's in the bad part of town.� She explained knowingly

�Where's that?� Buffy asked, stopping infront of the library doors.

�About a half a block from the good part of town.� She said chuckling. �We don't have a whole lot of town here. But, um, you should show!�

�Well, I�ll try.� Buffy smiled, glancing at the library and back at Cordelia, the only girl she knew here, by now. �Thanks.�

�Good. So, um, I'll see you in gym, and you can tell me absolutely everything there is to know about you.� Cordelia grinned, walked off and waved at Buffy.

Buffy waved back �Great!� She mumbled to herself. �Oh, that sounds like fun.�

She stepped quietly into the deserted looking room, watching closely for any kind of movement in there. �Hello?� She yelled, walking further inside. �Is anybody here?�

Looking onto the newspaper on the counter she saw a picture has been circled and stepped towards it curiously and read �Local Boys Still Missing� She didn�t notice Giles until he tapped her on the shoulder and she spun around starlet.

�Ooh!� Buffy exhaled. �Anybody's here!� Somehow the place felt odd to her.

�Can I help you?� The Liberian asked in a thick, English accent.

�I was looking for some, well, books. I'm new.� Buffy stumbled over the words.

�Miss Summers?� The tweed-wearing man asked smiling.

�Good call! Guess I'm the only new kid, huh?� Buffy chuckled lightly to lighten the mood. Something felt very odd here.

�I'm Mr. Giles. The librarian. I was told you were coming.� He said, heading around behind the counter.

�Great!� Buffy said, walking towards the counter, as well �So, um, I'm gonna need 'Perspectives on 20th Century...'�

She wasn�t able to finish her sentence, because Giles interrupted her. �I know what you're after!� He said and with a big grin on his face he pulled out a large old book with the word �VAMPYR� written in gold leaf on the front cover. Buffy froze and looked up at the him with shocked eyes, stepping away from it in fear.

�That's not what I'm looking for.� She said uneasily.

�Are you sure?� Giles frowned.

�I'm *way* sure.� She remarked in a stronger voice, staring at the cover.

�My mistake� He said confused and put the book back behind the counter. �So, what is it you said...� He straightened up again , but Buffy had already fled from the room

He looked after her puzzled. Somehow he�d imagined their first encounter differently. Way differently.

�Oh, way to go you, Giles.� Angel snored from the office. �I�m sure she�ll slay again, now.� He remarked sarcastically.

�I wonder what�s wrong with her. Sh-she�s the slayer. The Chosen One. A sacred being. She can�t just , just ---� Giles wondered aloud.

�She�s still a child, Uncle Giles. She wants to desperately hold onto her dreamworld. Can�t you understand that? You used to be like that, in her age. I used to be like that in her age, and that�s not that long ago.� He walked up to the stacks and pulled out a few books, carrying them into the office.

�O-of course, I understand, b-but she has to slay. Without the slayer we are doomed!� Giles told his nephew. ��She needs to understand that. They is a reason that there�s a chosen one.�

�Well, I dunno if scaring her off does the deal.� Angel leaned against the doorframe of his uncle�s office.

�You won�t follow her!� Rupert Giles turned towards the man who was like a son to him. �Do you understand? You keep out of this!�

�Yeah, yeah.� He replied, sauntering out of the library.

*~*~*

Buffy was standing in her room. There were still a few unpacked boxes standing around and the room looked pretty much like a mess, but you could already see what she wanted to do with it. Which was better than Dawn�s room, �cause the little girl hadn�t even started unpacking, yet. Standing infront of the mirror, she desperately tried to choose her outfit for the club Cordelia mentioned and held up a shiny black outfit infront of her.

�Hi! I'm an enormous slut!� She told her mirror and held up another one. A blue floral dress. �Hello! Would you like a copy of 'The Watchtower'?� Lowering the dress she frowned at her reflection. �I used to be so good at this.� She mumbled and lowered them both, when her mother was entering. �Hi, honey.� The older woman smiled and Dawn ran into the room as well and quickly turned to her mother.

�Hey! Buffy�s room�s so much bigger than mine! That�s not fair!� She complained in her small whiney voice and sauntered out of the room again. �I�m hungry!� She yelled back.

Buffy returned her dresses to the closed, completely ignoring her little sister�s outburst. �Hey.� She replied her mother�s earlier greeting.

Joyce watched her daughter closely and realised what she�d been doing. �Are you, uh, going out tonight?�

Buffy turned around to face her mom, hoping she would allow her that. It was her attempt to fit in, after all. So what was she going to have against it? �Yeah, I'm going to a club.� She glanced at her mom and turned to face the dresser again.

�Oh. Will there be boys there?� Joyce asked innocently.

Buffy grinned at that and turned to her mother, again. �No, Mom. It's a nun club.�

Joyce glared playfully at her and looked into her daughter�s eyes. She was so big! It was like it was only yesterday when her Buffy had been a little baby and now she was going out and facing the world on her own. �Well, just be careful.�

�I will.� Buffy chuckled lightly.

�MOM!� Dawn came running into her sister�s room again. �I�m hungry!� The ten-year-old brunette repeated her earlier words.

Buffy rolled her eyes. �We�ve eaten only two hours ago, Dawn.� Buffy glared at her sister.

�I�m hungry again!� Dawn defended herself and stuck out her tongue towards her big sister.

Joyce sat down at Buffy�s bed and patted the place beside her, making Dawn sit with her. �You know, I think we can make it work here. I've got my positive energy flowing... I'm gonna get the Gallery on its feet... Oh, uh, we may have found a space today.� She told her eldest, mindlessly stroking the hair of her youngest who made a purring-like sound.

�That's great.� Buffy smiled.

�Oh, and that school is a, a very nurturing environment, which is just what you need.� Joyce added.

Buffy frowned at that. �Well, actually...�

Joyce stood up and took Buffy�s pillow in her hands. �Oh, not too nurturing. I know, you're sixteen, I've read all about the dangers of over-nurturing.�

Buffy went over to her bed and lay a few outfits onto it, slapping Dawn�s curious fingers away and looking at her in a touch-it-and-I�ll-kill-you kind of way which made Dawn quickly sit properly.

Joyce sighed and walked over to Buffy �It's hard. New town and everything... It is for me, too. I'm trying to make it work.� She looked her blonde daughter in the eye and took her hands in her�s. �I'm *going* to make it work.�

�I know.� Buffy said

�Oh, you're a good girl, Buffy, you just fell in with the wrong crowd. But that is all behind us now.� She smiled at her, patting her daughter�s head.

�It is. From now on I am only going to hang out with the living.� Buffy tells her and her eyes widen for a little moment and Dawn giggled silently. The little girl knew her sister saved the world and just loved it when Buffy accidentally slipped it out. She turns around and quickly picked up her dresses �I mean, lively. People.� Buffy rescued herself, receiving a nod from her mother

Buffy headed back to her closet with an awkward look on her face.

�What�s with me? Am I a good girl, too?� Dawn looked up at her mom.

�You are, honey.� Joyce smiled warmly. �You�re my little baby.�

Dawn�s face fell at that comment. �I�m no baby!� She said. �I�m hungry!� She remembered and reminded her mom.

Joyce chuckled at that. �C�mon, honey. I�ll make you something. You have fun, Buffy!� She smiled at her eldest and left her room along with little Dawn.

*~*~*

Buffy walked down a dark street, when someone appeared behind her. Sensing that she is being followed she walked for a ways, when she got a chance she ducked down an alley and looked around for a place to hide. She hated it to fight vampires, but when they came to her, she had to, right? She spied something above her just when her follower turned into the alley.

Angel walked into around the corner, looking for her, but isn�t able to see her, because she�s in a handstand on a bar high above the pavement. Just when Angel passed underneath her, she swung down and kicked him in the back, knocking him to the ground. Buffy jumped down and put a foot on his chest to hold him down.

Angel smirked up at her then. �Ah, heh. Is there a problem, ma'am?� He asked innocent, the grin firmly in place.

�Yeah, there's a problem. Why are you following me?� She barked at him, she couldn�t stand being teased.

�I know what you're thinking. Don't worry, I don't bite.� He grinned.

She backed off and let him get up, but kept her fighting stance, when she realised where she�d seen him before. This was the gorgeous guy she�d seen when she walked into Sunnydale High that morning!

�Truth is, I thought you'd be taller, or bigger muscles and all that, when I first heard you�d be coming to the good old �Dale. You're pretty spry, though.� He admitted, massaging his neck.

�What do you want?� Buffy asked annoyed. ��cause I can gladly go on without a High School boy�s opinion.� She snapped.

Angel was clearly surprised to find out that she�d seen him at S. High, but covered it quickly. � The same thing you do.�

Buffy let down her guard and looked at him expectantly. �Okay. What do I want?�

�To kill them. To kill them all.� Angel said calmly, a smile still playing around his lips.

Buffy sighed and shot her head up high in the air. �Sorry, that's incorrect. But you do get this lovely watch and a year's supply of Turtle Wax. What I want is to be left alone!� Buffy glared, starting a determined walk away.

Angel simply looked after her, making no attempt to follow her. �Do you really think that's an option anymore? You're standing at the Mouth of Hell. And it's about to open.�

She stopped, turned to him and looked at him with a wide-eyed gaze. He reached into his jacket and pulled out a small box.

Angel looked up at her and looked deeply into Buffy�s eyes. �Don't turn your back on this. You've gotta be ready.� He said, tossing her the box.

�What for?� Buffy asked.

�For the Harvest.� Angel told her smiling.

�Who are you?� Buffy asked sceptically.

�Let's just say... I'm a friend.� He grinned, starting to leave.

�Yeah, well, maybe I don't want a friend.� Buffy yelled after him.

�I didn't say I was yours.� He turned back and grinned at her. �See you around at Sunnydale High.� He yelled back before turning into an alley and out of her sight.

Buffy stared after him for a moment, then opened the box. It contained a beautiful, simple, silver cross and chain. She took it out, held it in her hand and took another glance in his direction, wondering briefly what that guy wanted, or who he was.

*~*~*

Buffy walked into the noisy, loud and crowded Bronze, wearing the cross around her neck. She walked up to the doorman, gave some cash and went in, while Sprung Monkey played �Believe� loudly and the dance floor was crowded with people.

Being all alone, she felt way out of place.

//Oh, I just want to believe
Can you hear me?
Can you see me?
What's inside of me?
Oh, I just want to believe
If my life can
have a purpose
Help me to believe
Oh, I just want to believe
Can you hear me?
Can you see me?
What's inside of me?
Oh, I just want to believe
If my life can have a purpose
Help me to believe\\

Buffy moved to the music a bit, seeing a guy waving in her direction she waved back, then noticed someone behind her waving back and pulled her hand down, embarrassed.

//Everybody wants to find the circle
The line of truth that has no end
Because so many nights I've slept with the feeling of empty
And I say, right now I'm ready to believe\\

Frustrated she walked to the bar only to find Willow there and walked over to her. She was the first person here, that she know. �Hey!� She greeted the red-head smiling.

Willow looked up from the glass in her hand and was surprised to see Buffy. Cordelia�s newest slave. But other than all the other girl�s of Cordy�s imperium, this girl seemed to be generally nice. �Oh, hi!�

Buffy walked around her, smiling, and sat on the stool next to her while Willow simply turned to face her.

�Hi!� The red-head smiled back at her.

�Oh, you're here with someone?� Buffy asked curiously.

�No, I'm just here. I thought Xander was gonna show up.� Willow grinned.

Buffy was surprised, now. �Oh, are you guys going out?�

Willow shook her head, still smiling. �No, we're just friends. We used to go out, but we broke up.�

�How come?�

�He stole my Barbie.� Willow explained and Buffy looked at her strangely. �Oh, we were five.�

�Oh.�

�I-I-I don't actually date a whole lot... lately.� Willow winced.

�Why not?�

�Well, when I'm with a boy I like, it's hard for me to say anything cool, or, or witty, or at all. I-I can usually make a few vowel sounds, and then I have to go away.� Willow shrugged helplessly.

�It's not *that* bad!� Buffy said.

Willow only nodded. �No, i-it is. I think boys are more interested in a girl who can talk.�

�You really *haven't* been dating lately.� Buffy smiled, shaking her head.

�It's probably easy for you.� Willow commented.

�Yeah, real easy.� Buffy snored sarcastically.

�I-I mean you don't seem too shy.� Willow tried to explain herself.

�Well, my philosophy, do you wanna hear my philosophy?� Buffy asked the red-head.

�Yeah, I do!� Willow beamed.

�Life is short.� Buffy stated.

�Life is short!� Willow repeated. This made sense, after all.

�Not original, I'll grant you, but it's true. You know? Why waste time being all shy and worrying about some guy, and if he's gonna laugh at you. Seize the moment, 'cause tomorrow you might be dead.� Buffy explained to the shy girl infront of her.

�Oh, that's nice!� Willow commented, totally taken over.

Buffy smiled and looked up only to see Giles on the upper level.

Buffy�s face fell and she looked back at Willow �Um, I'll be back in a minute.� She said, getting up to go.

�Oh, tha-that's okay, you don't have to come back.� Willow told her.

Buffy smiled at the girl. Willow seemed to be really nice and she found herself believing that this might be her future best friend. She seemed way better for her than Jenny, and especially more loyal. �I'll be back in a minute.�

�Seize the moment.� Willow repeated to herself once Buffy was gone.

Buffy made her way up to the annoying watcher she had yet to face again.

//I feel love with my friends
I feel love in my songs
If I could just hold love
Then all the answers might come
I said, oh, if we're all children of God
And we just turned away
I got a lack of belief
I said a world without faith
It's time we turn back around\\

Buffy walked up to the older man. �So, you like to party with the students. Isn't that kinda skanky?� She mocked him.

�Oh, right, this is me having fun. Watching... clown hair prance about is hardly my idea of a party. You�re sounding like my nephew. Really, I think the two of you would match perfectly. I'd much rather be at home with a cup of Bovril and a good book.� Told the slayer sarcastically.

�You need a personality, stat!� Buffy advised.

Giles simply ignored her and pointed to the crowd below. �This is a perfect breeding ground for vampire activity. It's dark, it's crowded... Besides, I knew you were likely to show up, and I have to make you understand...�

� ...that the Harvest is coming. I know, your friend told me.� She finished. Somehow this crap was repeating itself over and over again. Kinda like the �In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will...� mantra.

�What did you say?� Giles asked confused.

�The Harvest. That mean something to you? 'Cause I'm drawing a blank.� She told him, surprised that the man infront of her seemed to know as much about that as she did.

�I'm not sure. Uh... W-who told you this?� Giles asked further.

�This... guy. Dark, gorgeous in an annoying sort of way. I figured you two were buds.�

Giles suddenly looked like there�d been switched on a light somewhere in his head. �I told him not to! Oh well, he�ll � wait, The Harvest. Where has he got this from? Did he say anything else?�

�Something about the Mouth of Hell. I *really* didn't like him!� Buffy said, annoyed.

Well, there went the �would match perfectly part� of the whole thing...

The band had finished its song and there's lots of applause. They soon stared their next song, "Swirl". Giles moved around Buffy, leaned on the railing and looked down at the crowd.

�Look at them, throwing themselves about, completely unaware of the danger that surrounds them.� He told the blonde.

�Lucky them.� Buffy remarked, watching the crowd.

�Or perhaps you're right. Perhaps there is no trouble coming, the signs could be wrong. It's not as though you've been having the nightmares.� Giles mused.

Buffy only kept silent.

*~*~*

�Hey, man!� Gunn greeted his best friend, but Angel didn�t even notice him.

Following his friend�s gaze Gunn laid eyes on the most beautiful little blonde he�d ever seen. �THAT�S the slayer?� He choked on his drink, before grinning idiotically. �Now I understand why you�re always stalking her.�

�I�m not stalking her.� He said without looking at Gunn, instead keeping his gaze fixed on Buffy and his uncle.

�So?� Gunn quirked an eyebrow at Angel Liery. �What did she do before she came here?�

�She had a talk with her mom in her room and talked with her reflection in a mirror.� He stated simply before looking blankly at Gunn, realising, and returned to watching the slayer once more.

Gunn only smirked.

�Okay, so I AM stalking her. But, you know,... not STALKING� Angel mumbled. �You know what I mean. No naughty thoughts.�

Gunn only kept looking at Angel.

�Okay, so there are naughty thoughts. Sue me: I�m a man.� Angel growled at Gunn.

And suddenly Gunn began giggling and Angel only watched him. �God, are you high or something?�

Gunn kept grinning, shaking his head and showing Angel his drink. Mountain Dew. He could have guessed that.

�How many have you had?� Angel asked wide-eyed. Gunn was so gone.

�Dunno. Lost count.� Gunn grinned, leering.

*~*~*

�I didn't say I'd never slay another vampire. It's not like I have all these fluffy bunny feelings for them, I'm just not gonna get way extracurricular with it. You know, if I see one, sure I'll...� Buffy began but was interrupted by Giles.

�Will you be ready? There's so much you don't know about them, about your own powers. A vampire appears to be completely normal until the feed is upon them, only then do they reveal their true demonic visage.� Giles told her.

�You're like a textbook with arms, I know this.� Buffy said annoyed.

�The point is, a Slayer should be able to see them anyway. Without looking, without thinking. Can you tell me if there's a vampire in this building?� He tried to make her understand.

�Maybe...� Buffy shrugged.

�You should know. Even through this mass and this... din, you should be able to sense them. Well, try! Reach out with your mind.� He told her and Buffy looked around restlessly. �You have to hone your senses, focus until the energy washes over you, until you, you feel every particle o-of...�

�There's one.� Buffy said easily.

�W-where?� He stammered. He hadn�t expected that.

�Right there, talking to that girl.� Buffy said half-heartily.

�You don't know...�

�Oh, please! Look at his jacket. He's got the sleeves rolled up, and the shirt! Deal with that outfit for a moment.� Buffy said, clearly bored out of her mind.

�It's dated?� Giles wondered

�It's carbon dated. Trust me, only someone living underground for ten years would think that was still the look.� The ex-cheerleader stated matter of factly.

�But you didn't... hone.� Giles went on, but Buffy ignored him.

�Oh, no.� Buffy said, noticing exactly WHO the girl was that vampire was talking to.

�Isn't that...� Giles began, recognising her.

�Willow.� Buffy finished.

�What's she doing?� Giles said.

�Seizing the moment!� Buffy spat sarcastically, guilt washing over her before she dashed downstairs in search for her friend and the vampire.

//We're formed in liquid
Pushed out still dripping
A world was thrown before my eyes\\

But the two are already on their way out while Giles is simply at a loss for what to do.

//Now paint a picture
Crayon stick figures
With blue-haired people, purple skies\\

Buffy had lost them. Trying the back, she broke a leg off of a stack of chairs and began to stalk. After a while Cordelia came out of the restroom and surprised her. Buffy reacted, taking Cordelia by the throat and pushing her up against a wall.

�Cordelia� Buffy said horrified, recognising her and immediately letting go off the taller girl.

�God! What is your childhood trauma?!� Cordelia Chase exclaimed.

Her entourage appeared in the restroom door behind her.

�Have you guys seen Willow? Did she come by here?� Buffy said, trying desperately to change the subject.

�Why? Do you need to attack her with the stick? Jeez!� Cordy asked back. But Buffy only turned a went away.

�Excuse me, I have to call *everyone* I have *ever* met, right now.� Queen C. told her groupies who only nodded bitchy.

Meanwhile Buffy ran back into the crowded Bronze, looking around franticly when Rupert Giles caught up with her.

�That *was* quick. Well done! I-I need to go to the library. This Harvest thing...� Giles said.

�I didn't find them!� Buffy told him.

Giles grabbed Buffy by the arm and turned her to face him. �The vampire is not dead?� The watcher asked his charge.

�No, but my social life is on the critical list.� Buffy said coldly.

�So, what do we do?� Giles asked her, letting go off her arm.

�I'll take care of it!� Buffy commented.

�I-I-I need to come with you, yes?� Giles asked, a little unsure. Honestly, he�d much rather be at the library right now, and research.

�Don't worry. One vampire I can handle.� Buffy said and walked away, determined to find them and rescue the sweet girl whatever comes between.

*~*~*

�Hey Rupert.� Angel smirked, strolling into the library and studying his uncle closely. The man was buried in a mountain of books, massaging his temples. �What�s with the slayer? I thought she was here?� He asked, pretending to be cool, but failing by not being able to hide the hope in his voice.

�She�ll be in a few moments. I assume. Sh-she was on her way to find a vampire that th-threatened one of her friends.� Giles said, getting up and walking up to the stacks, followed by his handsome nephew.

�Didn�t I clearly tell you to NOT go after her? I wanted you to keep out of this!� Giles faced his nephew angrily.

�This is as much my deal as it�s yours.� Angel remarked, leaning against the window.

�I�m her watcher!� Giles said to the dark-haired man. �Granted, you have slayer blood inside of you as well, but you�re not nearly good enough to face this kind of force!�

�Remember Whistler? The powers that be? I�m supposed to protect her and that I will! She�s my redemption. She�s my chance to make all the things I did right! She�ll see me through the darkness!� Angel nearly shouted.

�That, she already did.� Giles smiled warmly. �But you�re not her protector. YOU are not the one to help HER, but SHE was the one to help YOU! And, as I said, she already did help you.� Rupert Giles told his nephew. �You may be bathed and made out of all this mystical flow of energy, but you�re still a normal human being. You can�t protect her. You don�t have this much power inside of you.�

�You�ve never seen me fight, Giles.� Angel said calmly. �How do you want to know.�

�YOU KEEP OUT OF THIS; ANGEL LIERY. PERIOD!� Giles yelled and immediately regretted it. �I�m sorry. I�m just concerned about you. This is not your league, son.�

�I�m not your son, UNCLE Giles.� Angel said in a small voice.

�No, you aren�t.� Giles said sadly. �But you�re my sister�s son and I�m your only living relative. This has to be close enough.� He said.

Angel nodded and walked towards the entrance again.

�You know. I seriously wonder if that�s all that makes you so determined in this. You�re not like that usually. You�ve never cared about things like destinies and purposes. I wonder what made the difference this time.� Giles called after him, but of course he already knew the answer.

Angel stopped, but remained with his back facing the older man, before continuing off without saying a word.

*~*~*

�This world is older than any of you know. Contrary to popular mythology, it did not begin as a paradise. For untold eons demons walked the Earth. They made it their home, their... their Hell. But in time they lost their purchase on this reality. The way was made for mortal animals, for, for man. All that remains of the old ones are vestiges, certain magicks, certain creatures...� Giles told the two teenagers sitting at the study table in the library.

�And vampires.� Buffy added, sitting at the edge of the table.

�Okay, this is where I have a problem. See, because we're talking about vampires. We're having a *talk* with vampires in it.� Xander rambled disbelieving.

�Isn't that what we saw last night?� Willow asked quietly, unsure.

�No. No, th-those weren't vampires, those were just guys in thundering need of a facial. Or maybe they had rabies. It could have been rabies. A-and that guy turning to dust? Just a trick of light.� Buffy said, earning a look from Xander. �That's exactly what I said the first time I saw a vampire. Well, after I was done with the screaming part.�

�Oh, I, I need to sit down.� Willow said, staring ahead of her.

�You are sitting down.�

�Oh. Good for me.� Willow mumbled.

�So vampires are demons?� Xander remarked.

�The books tell the last demon to leave this reality fed off a human, mixed their blood. He was a human form possessed, infected by the demon's soul. He bit another, and another, and so they walk the Earth, feeding... Killing some, mixing their blood with others to make more of their kind. Waiting for the animals to die out, and the old ones to return.� Giles lectured.

�And that would be a what?� Xander continued, questioning.

�For as long as there have been vampires, there's been the Slayer. One girl in all the world, a Chosen One.� Giles continued.

�He loves doing this part.� Buffy remarked, smirking.

�Alright. The Slayer hunts vampires, Buffy is a Slayer, don't tell anyone. Well, I think that's all the vampire information you need.� Giles went on, ignoring the Chosen One.

�Except for one thing: how do you kill them?� Xander cut in.

�*You* don't, *I* do.� Buffy told him.

�Well, Jesse's my... � Xander tried to argue.

But Buffy interrupted him. �Jesse is *my* responsibility. I let him get taken.�

�That's not true.� Xander protested, looking Buffy straight in the eye.

�If you hadn't shown up they would have taken us, too. Does anybody mind if I pass out?� Willow said in an even, shocked voice.

�Breathe.� Buffy ordered, laying one slender hand on Willow�s shoulder.

�Breathe.� The red-head repeated, nodding.

�Breathe.� Buffy said again, then turned to Giles. �This big guy, Luke. He talked about an offering to the Master. Now, I don't know what or who, but if they weren't just feeding then Jesse may still be alive. I'm gonna find him.�

�Uh, this may be the dumb question, but shouldn't we call the police?� Willow suggested.

�And they'd believe us, of course.� Giles said sarcastically.

Willow shook her head eagerly. �Well, we don't have to say vampires. We, we could just say that there's a, a bad man.�

�They couldn't handle it even of they did show up. They'd only come with guns.� Buffy told her softly, looking down at her from her place right next to Willow on the table.

�You have no idea where they took Jesse?� Giles asked carefully.

�I looked around, but soon's they got clear of the graveyard, they could have just, voom!� Buffy gestured wildly with her hands.

�They can fly?� Xander Harris exclaimed.

�They can drive.�

�Oh.� The dark-haired boy exhaled.

�I don't remember hearing a car.� Willow piped in.

�Let's take an enormous intuitive leap, shall we, and say they went underground.� Giles said, cleaning his glasses with a handkerchief.

�Vampires really jam on sewer systems. You can get anywhere in the entire town without catching any rays. But I didn't see any access around there.� Buffy told them like an old pro, which if you took it that way, she was.

�Well, there's an electrical tunnel that runs under the whole town.� Xander said.

�If we had a diagnostic of the tunnel system it might indicate a, a meeting place, it would, uh... I suppose we could go to the building commission.� The Watcher wondered.

�We *so* don't have time.� Buffy remarked.

�Uh, guys?� Willow chirped. �There may be another way.�

*~*~*

Willow had the city plans on the computer monitor. �There it is.� Buffy said, pointing on a place on the screen.

�That runs under the graveyard.� Willow told �em.

�I don't see any access.� Xander sighed.

�So, all the city plans are just, uh, open to the public?� Giles asked Willow interested.

�Um, well, i-in a way. I sort of stumbled onto them when I accidentally decrypted the city council's security system.� Willow blushed.

�Someone's been naughty.� Xander smirked at her.

�There's nothing here, this is useless!� Buffy exclaimed, giving up and paced away from her place behind the red-head and the PC.

�I think you're being a bit hard on yourself.� Giles told her.

�You're the one that told me that I wasn't prepared enough. Understatement!� Buffy yelped, exhaling. �I thought I was on top of everything, and then that monster, Luke, came out of nowhere... � Buffy zoomed out, remembering the fight with Luke.

�What?� Xander asked.

�He didn't come out of nowhere. He came from behind me. I was facing the entrance, he came from behind me, and he didn't follow me out. The access to the tunnels is in the mausoleum! The girl must have doubled back with Jesse after I got out! God! I am so mentally challenged!� Buffy yelped, realising and stopped pacing through the room.

�So, what's the plan? We saddle up, right?� Xander asked, walking towards the Slayer.

�There's no 'we', okay? I'm the Slayer, and you're not.� Buffy reminded him harshly.

�I knew you'd throw that back in my face.� Alexander Harris replied.

�Xander, this is deeply dangerous.� Buffy tried to make him see her point.

�I'm inadequate. That's fine. I'm less than a man.� Xander told her coldly.

�Buffy, I'm not anxious to go into a dark place full of monsters. But I do want to help. I need to.� Willow told the Chosen One sincerely.

�Well, then help me. I've been researching this Harvest affair. It seems to be some sort of preordained massacre. Rivers of blood, Hell on Earth, quite charmless. I'm a bit fuzzy, however, on the details. It may be that you can wrest some information from that dread machine.� Giles said, receiving stares from all the others. �That was a bit, um, British, wasn't it?�

�Welcome to the New World.� Buffy smiled.

�I want you to go on the 'Net.� Rupert Giles told the red-head.

�Oh, sure, I can do that.� She said, beginning to type.

� Then I'm outta here. If Jesse's alive, I'll bring him back.� She told them, starting to leave.

�Do I have to tell you to be careful?� And Buffy turned back, giving Giles a look and went away.

*~*~*

Buffy walked into the mausoleum slowly, looking and listening carefully for the tiniest sound. Scanning the chained tunnel access, she lifted the lock. Only to drop it again when Angel strolled into the mausoleum, exhaling, smirking.

�I don't suppose you've got a key on you?� Buffy quipped, still not turning around.

But Angel only kept grinning. �They really don't like me dropping in.�

�Why not?� Buffy said in mock-surprise, facing him.

�They really don't like me.� He smiled, shaking his head ruefully.

�How could that possibly be?� Buffy shot back.

And Angel simply choose to ignore her comment, rolling his eyes. �I knew you'd figure out this entryway sooner or later. Actually, I thought it was gonna be a *little* sooner.�

�Sorry you had to wait.� Buffy exhaled. �Okay. Look, if you're gonna be popping up with this Cryptic Wise Man act on a regular basis, can you at least tell me your name?�

�Angel� He replied with his trade-mark smirk right in place.

�Angel. It's a pretty name.� She remarked, turning to the tunnel entrance.

�Don't go down there.� He told her strongly.

�Deal with my going.� She snapped back, annoyed.

�Well, *I* am not gonna get you outta there when the master rises, sorry darling, but tonight�s the harvest. Not quite the right time to spend your days down there, for such a sweetheart like you.� Angel replied sarcastically.

�Well, if this Harvest thing is such a suckfest, why don't *you* stop it?� Buffy replied, this guy was getting on her nerves.

�Well, first: My uncle�s gonna kill me. And second: That�s not exactly my league.� He said, but Buffy only spun around quickly, kicking open the doors to the tunnel.

�They'll be expecting you.� Angel told her, suddenly serious.

�I've got a friend down there. Or at least a potential friend. Do you know what it's like to loose a friend?� Buffy said coldly.

And Angel only lowered his eyes as a look of sadness filled them.

�That wasn't supposed to be a stumper.� Buffy apologised quickly and they looked at each other one more moment.

�When you hit the tunnels head east towards the school. That's where you're likely to find them.� He told her.

�You gonna wish me luck?� Buffy asked him, but turned to go when she realised he wasn�t about to reply.

Angel only watched her go. �Good luck!� He whispered after her.

*~*~*

Buffy came down a flight of stairs, looking around and hearing rats. And one crawled right across her shoes. She slowly started down the tunnels which were lighted at regular intervals.

�Did you see anything?� Xander whispered from behind her, startling her, when she reached the intersection.

�Xander, what are you doing here?!� Buffy exhaled in fright.

�Something stupid. I followed you.� Xander stated the obvious.

�Well, you... � Buffy started.

�I couldn't just sit at home and do nothing.� Xander interrupted.

�I understand. Now, go away!� Buffy growled, glaring at her dark-haired classmate.

�No!�

�Xander, you're gonna have to.� Buffy told him calm, yet impatiently.

�Look, Jesse's my bud, okay? If I can help him out, that's what I gotta do.� Xander tried to convince her.

And Buffy considered, looking at him for a longer moment before continuing off.

�Besides, it's this or chem class.� Xander mumbled, shrugging.

�Okay, so, crosses, garlic, stake through the heart.� Xander stated, reaching the top of the stairs along with the beautiful slayer beside him.

�That'll get it done.� Buffy confirmed, not really paying attention.

�Cool! Of course, I don't actually have any of those things.� Xander grinned sheepishly.

�Good thinking.� Buffy remarked, handing him a cross.

�Well, the part of my brain that would tell me to bring that stuff is still busy telling me not to come down here. I have this, though.� He said, turning on a flashlight.

�Turn that off!� Buffy barked.

�Okay! Okay! So, what else?� Xander complied, asking.

�What else what?�

�For vampire slayage.� Xander prompted.

�Oh, fire, beheading, sunlight, holy water, the usual:� Buffy told.

�You've done some beheading in your time?� Xander grinned at her.

�Oh, yeah. There was this time I was pinned down by this guy that played left tackle for varsity... Well, at least he used to before he was a vampire... Anyway, he had this really, really thick neck, and all I had was a little, little Exact-O knife... � Buffy rambled excited and Xander only laughed nervously. �You're not loving this story.�

�No, actually, I find it oddly comforting.� He admitted.

*~*~*

�Did you find Jesse?� Willow asked, looking up from the heavy volume she was reading in time to see Buffy and Xander come in.

�Yeah.� Xander mumbled.

�Was he dead?� Willow asked in a quiet voice.

�Worse.� She said, sitting down at the end of the table. �I'm sorry, Willow. We were too late. And they were waiting for us.�

�At least you two are okay.� Willow said only to jump half off the chair as well as Buffy when Xander violently kicked a waste basket.

�I don't like vampires. I'm gonna take a stand and say they're not good.� Xander growled.

�So, Giles! Got anything that can make this day any worse?� She turned to her new watcher.

�How about the end of the world?� Giles asked her, walking over to the whiteboard and putting down his pen.

�Knew I could count on you.� Buffy smiled sweetly.

�This is what we know. Some sixty years ago, a very old, very powerful vampire came to this shore, not just to feed.� Giles lectured.

�He came 'cause this town's a mystical who's it.� Buffy added.

�Yes. The Spanish who first settled here called it 'Boca del Infierno'. Roughly translated, 'Hellmouth'. It's a sort of, um, portal between this reality and the next. This vampire hopes to open it.� Giles told them.

�Bring the demons back.� Buffy remarked.

�End of the world.� Xander commented, understanding.

�But he blew it! Or, I mean, there was an earthquake that swallowed half the town, and him, too.� Willow said, looking at Buffy and Xander.

�You see, opening dimensional portals is a tricky business. Odds are he got himself stuck, rather like a, uh, cork in a bottle.� Giles stammered.

�And this Harvest thing is to get him out.� Xander said.

�It comes once in a century, on this night. The Master can draw power from one of his minions while it feeds. Enough power to break free and open the portal. The minion is called the Vessel, and he bears this symbol.� He taught, drawing a three-pointed star on the whiteboard.

�So, I dust anyone sporting that symbol, and no Harvest.� Buffy asked, in her own carefree kind of way.

�Simply put, yes.� He sighed, he seriously had no idea what to do with this slayer. She was way different from the lessons he�d taken. She was.... special.

�Any idea where this little get-together is being held?� Buffy asked sloppy.

� There, there are a number of possibilities.� Giles cleaned his glasses.

�They're goin' to the Bronze.� Xander said with a determined touch in his voice.

�Are you sure?� Willow voiced.

�Come on. All those tasty young morsels all over the place? Anyway, that's where Jesse's gonna be, trust me.� Xander said and Giles grabbed his coat and started out of the library, followed by the others.

�Then we should get there. The sun will be down before long.� Giles commented, looking at them.

� I gotta make a stop. Won't take long.� The Slayer announced, turning on her heels.

�What for?� Giles asked his charge.

�Supplies.�

*~*~*

Buffy ran out of the school building, searching for her key in her pocket when she ran straight into someone and stumbled back, but caught herself.

�I-I�m sorry.� She said and looked up. Straight into Angel�s smirking face.

�You know, I always thought a slayer had to be able to sense people nearing. Guess I was wrong...� He said, grinning. �What�s with the hurry, Buff?� He smirked.

Buffy looked up to him, confused. �How do you know my name?�

�Oh, I know a lot about you, Slayer.� He half-smiled down at her and they stared at one another for a long time.

�Would you tell my watcher what you know abo---� Buffy broke the silence.

�I already did, don�t worry, goldilocks.� Angel said and backed up towards the entrance of Sunnydale High. �Your watcher knows everything I know.� He said, grinned at her one more time and turned around, walking of into the building without looking back at her once.

*~*~*

Buffy paced around in her room. She went to her closet and pulled out a heavy, black jacket when her mother walked into the room, followed by the sweet little Dawnie Summers.

�Buffy?� Joyce called her daughter.

�Mom!� Buffy turned around, surprised.

�You're going out?� Joyce asked.

�I have to.� The slayer replied, shrugging on her jacket.

�I didn't hear you come in last night.� Joyce stated.

�I was really quiet.� Buffy smiled nervously.

�It's happening again, isn't it? I got a call from your new principal. Says you missed some classes today?� Joyce said, concern in her voice and a slightly mingle of hope somewhere in between.

�I was running an errand.� Buffy lied. And unfortunately, everybody could notice it. She was terrible lair.

�We haven't finished unpacking, and I'm getting calls from the principal. Dawn didn�t get one lecture from ANY of her teachers EVER! Why can�t you be more like her in that case.� Joyce pointed out to her daughter, who only flinched.

�But mom, when Buffy was in my age she didn�t get lectured either!� Dawn tried to pull her sister out of this mess, but as always nobody listened to her.

�Mom, I promise, it is *not* gonna be like before. But I *have* to go.� Buffy pleaded with her mother.

�No.�

�Mom?!� Buffy yelped.

�The tapes all say I should get used to saying it. No.� Joyce repeated.

�This is really, really important.� Buffy insisted, sounding desperately desperate.

�I know. If you don't go out it'll be the end of the world. Everything is life or death when you're a sixteen-year-old girl.� Joyce Summers told the blonde, not noticing Dawn cringe at the reference.

Buffy began to panic now. This couldn�t happen! Not now! She looked desperately over to her sister. Hoping for a miracle. �Look, I don't have time to talk about this...�

�Buffy, you've got all the time in the world, you're not going anywhere. Now, if you wanna stay up here and sulk, I won't hold it against you. But if you wanna come down, I'll make us some dinner.� She left the room, pulling the door closed behind her.

�Poor you. Mom just doesn�t seem to understand anything.� Dawnie remarked, sitting on the edge of Buffy�s bed.

Buffy just couldn�t believe what just happened. Leaning against the closed door she exhaled deeply and looked into her little sister�s eyes. �You�re gonna cover me?� She asked hopefully.

�Only if you tell me the reason. Last time it was big; I mean you blew up the school and I didn�t know. You always keep the good stuff from me. I�ll cover, you tell!� The small brunette crossed her arms and sat on her sister�s bed in Indian-style.

�It�s apocalypse. And I didn�t blow up the school. That was the gym.� She glared at the ten-year-old, turning and opening the closet again and pulling out a large chest.

�What�s apocalypse?� The girl asked frowning and Buffy had to chuckle.

The chest had a flat box in it full of her stuff. She lifted out the box to reveal what's underneath. Stakes, crosses, garlic, bottles of holy water. She pulled a bunch out and put it in her sports bag. Taking a particularly sharp stake, she concealed it in her jacket sleeve. While little Dawn Summers only stared in awe at her sister. She wouldn�t tell anyone. Never. But Buffy Summers, her big, annoying, commending, bossing around sister was her hero.

�The end of the world.� Buffy said simply and Dawn�s jaw dropped. Buffy only winked at her, closed the chest, zipped the bag closed and went over to her door to make sure her mother wasn't nearby. Then she grabbed the bag, slid it out of the window onto the roof and climbed out after it, after waving a small bye to her beloved baby sister.

*~*~*

The slayerettes arrives running and Buffy tried the door desperately. �It�s locked!� She exclaimed, turning back to the others.

�We're too late!� Giles announced.

�I didn't know I was gonna get grounded!� Buffy defended herself.

�Can you break it down?� Xander asked the Slayer hopefully.

�No, not that thing. Um... You guys try the back entrance, and I'll find my own way.� Buffy told them looking around.

�Right. Come on.� Giles agreed.

�Uh, wait! Guys! Here!� She said, handing Willow her bag. �You get the exit cleared and the people out. That's all! Don't go Wild Bunch on me.�

�Uh, see you inside, then.� He mumbled and he, Xander and Willow ran around to the back.

�It's locked, too.� Willow sighed, trying the door. �No joy!�

� We've gotta get in there before Jesse does something stupider that usual.� Xander commented, urging.

�You listen to me! Jesse is dead! You have to remember that when you see him, you're not looking at your friend. You're looking at the thing that killed him.� Giles tried to explain.

*~*~*

Luke dropped the girl like a heavy bag to the floor with a loud thud, when Darla wanted to take Cordelia to Luke.

�This one's mine!� Jesse growled.

�They're all for the Master.� She said annoyed, pulling at Cordelia, and Jesse let her go.

�I don't get one?� The newest Vampire in town replied disappointed.

*~*~*

Buffy broke through an upper window, crawling into the Bronze crowded with people.

�I feel the Master's strength growing!� Buffy heard the Vampire say, seeing Luke on the stage.

�I feel him rising. Every soul brings him closer! I need another!� He announced loudly.

�The Vessel.� Buffy whispered to herself and the vampire on the upper level noticed her, growling, when Buffy looked over to him.

�Tonight is his ascension. Tonight will be history at its end! Yours is a glorious sacrifice! Degradation most holy.� Luke says, and nobody so much as stirs. �What? No volunteers?!�

Then Darla came with Cordelia, as if one cue. �Here's a pretty one.� She smiles and Cordelia screamed when Luke came closer.

He's about to bite her when Buffy kicked the vampire down from above them. Luke watched him land with a thud and Buffy approached the railing, stalking, predating.

�Oh, I'm sorry, were you in the middle of something?� Buffy asked innocently.

�You!� Luke exclaimed angrily, recognising her.

�You didn't think I'd miss this. Did you?� Buffy quipped cheerfully.

�I hoped you'd come.� Luke said, his face twisting into a cold smile.

�Be right down!� The chosen one said and stepped away from the railing and executed a roundoff, jumping down, landed on a pool table, where a vampire attacked her from the right.

Buffy did a front walkover off of the table, grabbing a pool cue on the way. Landing she thrust it into her attacker and let go. He began to fall and burst into ashes.

�Okay, Vessel boy.� Buffy snapped, removing her jacket. �You want blood?�

�I want yours!� He told her, releasing Cordelia. �Only yours!�

�Works for me.� Buffy shrugged, ran and cartwheels up onto the stage, immediately launching into a full spinning hook kick. Causing Luke to stagger into a pile of chairs and Buffy assumed a fighting position.

Getting up, Luke growled, coming back at her with swings, but she ducked and punched, coming up behind him. He tried a backhand punch, but she blocked him, holding onto his arm and giving him three roundhouse kicks to his stomach before he shook loose.

Buffy took her stake and lunged at him, but he blocked the lunge, knocking the stake from her grip, lifting her up and throwing her into a pile of boxes.

Buffy spun around and landed a backhand punch on Luke's face, knocking him into another pile of stuff. He was dazed and the Slayer turned to see a vampire grab Xander. Snatching a cymbal from a drum set she threw it at the vampire like a Frisbee. Xander saw it coming and ducked and the cymbal decapitated the vampire.

�Head's up!� Xander remarked in awe and Buffy couldn�t resist a chuckle, but Luke grabbed her from behind

While Jesse struggled on the floor with Cordelia. �Hold still! You're not making this easy!�

And Xander walked up behind him, holding a stake. �Jesse, man! Don't make me do it.�

�Buddy!� Jesse smiled evilly, turning to look at his old friend.

� I always wanted to kill a Slayer! � Luke smiled, holding the slayer tight.

�Jesse! I know there's still a part of you in there.� Xander pleaded hopefully.

�Okay... Let's deal with this. Jesse was an excruciating loser who couldn't get a date with anyone in the sighted community! Look at me. I'm a new man!� Jesse smirked, jumping up.

And on the stage Luke held Buffy in a tight lock. �Master! Taste of this... and be free!� He roared and moved in to bite the Slayer. Sensing his proximity she snapped her head back to land a headbutt on his face, knocking him off of her and back to the wall. She turned to him, winded.

�How'd it taste?� She snapped.

*~*~*

Jesse grabbed Xander by the jacket and lifted him around against a wall. Xander had the stake pointed at Jesse's chest.

�Ooo! Alright. Put me out of my misery. You don't have the guts.� Jesse smirked, but a fleeing patron bumped into the vampire, impaling him on the stake. Xander let go of the stake, and Jesse began to fall to the ground. He turned to ashes before he even hit the floor, when two vampires grabbed Xander.

While Buffy grabbed a microphone stand and held it like a javelin.

�You forget, metal can't hurt me.� Luke smirked, about to attack again.

�There's something you forgot about, too. Sunrise!� She yelled, throwing the stand at the window behind Luke. He ducked, and it broke behind him when a bright light poured in through it. Shielding his face with his hands, expecting to be burned, he stopped confused, while Buffy picked up her stake from the floor. Luke realised it�s only a lamp when Buffy lunged at him from behind and jammed the stake home.

�It's in about nine hours, moron!� Buffy remarked.

And Luke staggered from the stage, falling to ashes and hitting the floor.

In his liar, the master felt Luke�s death and fell to his knees. Screaming.

Buffy stared at Luke�s ashes, while the two remaining vampires still had Xander. Lifting her gaze she met theirs and the vampires panicked and run.

*~*~*

�She did it! I'll be damned!� Angel smirked, standing behind some crates stacked against a wall, watching the vampires run from the Bronze before walking off on his own.

*~*~*

Buffy hoped down to the floor, meeting Giles and Willow.

Giles looked around the room. �I take it it's over.�

�Did we win?� Willow squeaked.

�Well, we averted the Apocalypse. I give us points for that.� Buffy smiled at her, walking off.

�One thing's for sure: nothing's ever gonna be the same.� Xander pointed out, looking around as well.

*~*~*

�What exactly were you expecting?� Buffy asked, meeting Xander.

�I don't know, something. I mean, the dead rose. We should at least have an assembly.� Xander grumbled.

And they ran into Giles and Willow, continuing down the hall. �People have a tendency to rationalize what they can and forget what they can't. �

�Believe me, I've seen it happen.� Buffy smiled at them.

�Well, I'll never forget it, none of it.� Willow chanted.

�Good! Next time you'll be prepared.� Giles told them.

�Next time?� Xander repeated shocked.

�Next time is why?� Willow wanted to know.

�We've prevented the Master from freeing himself and opening the Mouth of Hell. That's not to say he's going to stop trying. I'd say the fun is just beginning.� Giles announced proudly.

�More vampires?� Willow asked with wide-eyes, stopping.

�Not just vampires. The next threat we face may be something quite different.� Giles said, really much too excited.

�I can hardly wait!� Buffy sighed.

�We're at the center of a mystical convergence here. We may, in fact, stand between the Earth and its total destruction.� Giles rambled off like a lexicon, in his normal English-accent.

�Well, I gotta look on the bright side. Maybe I can still get kicked out of school!� Buffy joked.

The three students continued to class and Giles stayed behind and watched them go.

�Oh, yeah, that's a plan. 'Cause lots of schools aren't on Hellmouths.� Xander remarked.

�Maybe you could blow something up. They're really strict about that.� Willow suggested, grinning like a fool.

�I was thinking of a more subtle approach, y'know, like excessive not studying.� Buffy said smirking, not even noticing Giles turn and strolling away into the other direction.

�The Earth is doomed!� Giles sighed, walking off.

*~*~*

Buffy walked into the silent library in order to speak to Giles about her upcoming training section. They still hadn�t made out a proper time. �Hello?� She called and froze when a familiar mysterious dark-haired man exited the office.

�Hey.� He smiled his trade-mark half-smile down at her and she felt herself oddly drawn to it. �What is it? Forgot your nail-polish?� Angel teased.

�You!� She said. �What are YOU doing, here?� She said, walking towards him.

He smirked and crossed his arms over his chest. �Helping out my Uncle-G.� There, he�d dropped the bomb.

�GILES is your UNCLE?� She yelped. �Why didn�t anybody tell me?� She fumed.

�You didn�t ask.� He teased her, which made her even more angry.

�So? You don�t seem so English to me. Massive lack of tweed.� She commented dryly, walking towards the stacks in order to do something. Anything.

�My mom�s Rupert�s sister, but I never got to know her. My father was Irish, but we lived in the states until he was killed when I was seven. Since then, Giles was my guardian.� He told her freely, shrugging.

Buffy turned around at that, suddenly feeling embarrassed about her attitude towards him earlier. �I�m sorry.� She whispered, apologising.

�S�okay.� He shrugged it off. �I can�t remember them anyway.� He said.

Buffy nodded. �okay. Would you tell your Uncle I was here?� She asked him, walking towards the door.

�Sure.� He smiled again and Buffy felt her knees melt.

�Suppose you�re the social worker?� She said and backed up towards the entrance, just like he did not so long ago. �Guess I�ll see you more often, then.� She smiled and was gone.

�I hope so.� Angel whispered after her.

The End

For now.

@}--<--- F.E.E.D.B.A.C.K --->--{@

go back to fanfiction!!!

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1