Yet Another Song-Inspired GW Fanfic

-----part 1-----

"I can't go to Earth." Heero told Trowa. "Please... that's where it happened. You can't send me there."

"Heero, that was an accident." Trowa replied. "And it was seven years ago. Now, you have to track down the source of the sudden increase in violence there recently."

"Find someone else. One of the others."

"Heero, Quatre is getting married at the moment, and Wufei's on assignment elsewhere."

"And Duo is dead because I didn't fire my weapon in time."

"You did fire it in time." Quatre corrected. "It jammed. Big difference."

"Not to Duo." Heero pointed out. 

"You're going to be heading to the East coast of the United States."

"Duo's ancestral home... roughly speaking. I can't do it, Quatre. I just can't."

"I might be able to get you a good attorney for the Court Martial..." Quatre hedged.

"I get the hint." Heero sighed. "Okay. I'm going. But I wont like it."

Heero arrived at the drop site a few hours later. There was a madness about the place worse than many that he had seen in his lifetime.

He tapped a nervous man who leaped about a hundred feet straight up.

"Oh, I am sorry, young man. I thought you might be him."

"Him who?" Heero asked. But the man shook his head in fear and dared not reply. "You'd better get inside. He'll be here any minute. This is his city now. Soon the world will belong to him."

"I think I'll wait here." Heero said.

"Don't be a fool." the man said, as he scurried away. "If you value your life, you'll find shelter at once! Twilight is his time. Hurry! Run!"

-----part 2-----

Heero was soon utterly alone on the ruined pavement except... no not alone. His senses were tingling, human instinct and soldier training both screaming at him. //Get the hell outta there, stupid!// and //Stand your ground, Soldier!// both echoed in his brain over and over until he was ready to explode with exasperation.

"Who's there?" he called out. //Shut up, stupid!// came from the human side of his rationale. He ignored it. "I said, who's there?"

A sound like laughter, and yet not laughter. Something dark and otherworldly and yet with a touch of playfulness. It was there just a moment, then it was gone.

"I hear you." Heero said. "You don't scare me. Where are you?"

"Behind you."

Heero turned, but there was no one there.

"Okay, whoever this is." He growled. "I don't find this very amusing!"

The laughter again.

"Stop laughing at me!" Heero screamed.

The laughter kept going, no matter how much Heero screamed or begged. He looked around, trying to find the source. When he finally found it, he screamed.

The figure that stood there regarded Heero Yuy with an amused smile and shook his head. He looked remarkably good for someone buried seven years ago. His hair was still worn the same way, the braid now even longer. One eye was missing and large pieces of flesh were gone from his face and hands.. A skeletal finger touched Heero's lips in a silencing gesture.

Heero started stammering wildly.

-----TBC-----

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1