Sole Survivor

-----part 1-----

"Come back here!" Duo screamed at the departing soldiers as he gave chase, his thermal scythe arcing down and unleashing his vengeance upon the enemy that had killed his friends, one by one, until on he and them remained. 

Beyond the battlefield, Duo had no inkling of what remained.

Or what didn't.

With the last of the enemy now dead at the feet of Shinigami, Duo radioed for assistance.

Static.

He tried another frequency. Again nothing. Every frequency was deathly quiet.

He landed in the city and no one came, no children ran pointing at his Shinigami. The people were there, but they were all unmoving. Every single one of them were. As he wandered amidst the carnage, tears ran down his face. There were a lot of them, he noticed.

//That's okay.// he told himself. //These tears are being shed for all of humanity.//

[Verse 1:
There walked a lonely man.
Silent. Mute. The only man.
Not knowing how, not knowing why was he the sole survivor.
Why should he be alive
Breathing still while other's died
And the only question: why was he the sole survivor?

Chorus:
Sole survivor, cursed with second sight
Haunted savior cried into the night.
Sole survivor, cursed with second sight
Haunted savior cried into the night.]


-----part 2-----

Duo staggered through the desert, loneliness piercing his heart. He'd come out here hoping that out here he might find that the horror that had swept through the cities might have spared the people out here. But the people here were dead, too. No one but him had been spared. The sun was setting now. He had to find shelter for night. But there was no place that wasn't filled with the horror and the stench of death.

He walked into a house which on the edge of his mind seemed familiar somehow. He turned a corner and saw a face, ravaged by disease and premature decay, familiar nonetheless. With a shrill scream of horror, he turned and fled, running as fast as he could, not stopping until he was at the very edge of the dead city.

He dropped to his knees on the pavement and wept for almost an hour, his tears forming a reflective pool, showing him his own tear-streaked face. He reached down and touched the pool.

"It's just me now. I'm the last one." he realized, finally giving up the futile search for other survivors he'd undertaken. "There's nobody else. I'm the last human being left alive."

And once again, as he'd done every night since the Tragedy, Duo Maxwell cried himself to sleep.

[Verse 2:
One year he'd crossed the sand
He stood alone, he had no plan
And with the last rays of the sun
He screamed aloud began to run.
In his tears he sees his face
"I am the end of the human race.
When I'm gone there'll be no trace
For I'm the sole survivor."

Chorus
Sole survivor, cursed with second sight
Haunted savior, cried into the night
Sole survivor, cursed with second sight
Haunted savior, cried into the night]


-----part 3----- 

It had been nearly ten years since the death of humanity. The silent, long haired young man lived in the remnants of the city now.

He'd long since forgotten how to speak. He forgot about his past, his friends. The nightmares kept Quatre in his mind for a little longer than the others. It had been Quatre he'd seen in the desert. They'd known at the time that he'd been on a covert mission in that area, but Duo still hadn't expected to see him like that and it had shaken him up very badly. But the nightmares and Quatre faded, soon, along with the rest of his more refined memories.

His remaining memories resolved themselves into instincts. He'd stopped braiding his hair years ago and now it just flowed down his back and around his body.

The aliens who landed while Duo was bathing, looked upon the lonely, feral young man with pity. They knew nothing of Earth mythology. If they had, they might have compared him with a feral Aphrodite.

One of them approached him, offering to bring him to their world, but Duo was too far gone now. Too feral. Instincts took him and he fled, hiding from his would-be rescuers.

They observed him for a while, then decided they would have no luck in rehabilitating him. Saddened, they departed, leaving him alone once more.

[Final Verse:

One night when years had past
The sky shook from a fiery blast
And then... a starship! Saved at last!
Come rescue this survivor! 
They beckoned him inside 
But only man, he would not ride
Instead he found a place to hide
For he's the sole survivor.

Chorus:
Sole survivor, cursed with second sight
Haunted savior, cried into the night
Sole survivor, cursed with second sight
Haunted savior, cried into the night]

-----Owari-----

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1