Relena's New Obsession

"What a fool I was." Relena told herself as she looked out her window. "How did I miss what was so obvious?"

"Perhaps you didn't miss it." one of her close friends suggested. "Perhaps you just weren't ready to face it. So, now what?"

"I don't know." Relena said, tears running down her face. "I suppose I have to face the fact that I've lost him. I just wish I hadn't lost him to another boy. And to a boy who shot him, too."

"Cupid's using bullets these days, I guess." her friend shrugged. "We're still young, Relena. Some day you'll find someone better for you."

"I suppose." Relena stood up and turned. Her friend started to follow, but she stopped her. "I'd like to be alone." she said. "I need to think."

The other girl nodded and watched as Relena walked off.

Relena walked through the streets of the city, her mind on Heero. On how she'd lost him to Duo. It hurt, it hurt really bad, but her friend was right, some day, it wouldn't hurt quite so much.

Someday, however, wasn't today. Sitting on the steps of a ruined building, she put her head in her hands and began to weep.

After some time, a shadow fell over her. She looked up and saw a young, familiar face smiling down at her.

"Enjoying your friend's triumph over the fallen Queen?" Relena snapped.

"I didn't come to gloat, Relena." Quatre replied. "Please, may I sit with you? You look like you could use a friend."

Relena studied the Sandrock pilot's features. No guile, no pretense. His offer of consolation and friendship was genuine. But what if someone took him away, too? Did she dare...?

"I'd rather be alone." Relena told Quatre.

Quatre nodded. He knew Relena needed someone to talk to, but forcing her wouldn't do. "Feel free to call if you change your mind." he said, as he started to walk away.

Relena thought about it. She suddenly had a vivid flashback of all the times she'd seen Quatre in battle, always apologizing, trying to take the non-violent approach whenever he could. And then, she, the self-proclaimed total pacifist realized that of all the men she'd met, this simple boy was the one who came closest to embodying the peace she so longed for.

"Wait." she said, her eyes shining. "Please, sit with me for a bit. I could use someone to talk to."

-----Owari-----

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1