Fire of Unknown Origin

----------------------------------------------------------
Lyrics (first verse only) by Blue Oyster Cult
----------------------------------------------------------

They had gotten what they'd come for. Now, they just had to get the hell out of there.

"DUO! COME ON!" Heero shouted.

"Just one minute." Duo told him. He keyed in a few characters into the OZ computer. "There, that should do the trick."

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Oldest trick in the book." Duo explained. "The security screens are gonna be showing them Stupid Pet Tricks while we're escaping."

"Good thinking." Heero praised.

Duo beamed, happily, then followed Heero down the hallway, both running at breakneck speed. The door was in front of them when the fire broke out suddenly and with no warning at all in an explosion of flame and heat. Heero was thrown through the open door and lay, badly burned on the ground several yards away.

"HEERO!" Quatre rushed down to where Heero lay, leaping from his gundam and running over to his badly hurt friend. He looked at the OZ building, and saw that the flames were completely filling the hall. "Great Allah," he moaned in grief, "Duo."

In tears he radioed for an ambulance, then stood protectively by Heero.


Heero opened his eyes, and looked up at the sullen faces of Quatre, Wufei, and Trowa. At first, his mind didn't comprehend why they were so glum. He was all right, after all. A little explosion wasn't going to get the best of the Perfect Soldier. He was about to give them a reassuring smile, when his heart noticed what his brain had missed. Duo wasn't there. The smile faded from Heero's heart.

"Duo?" he asked, weakly.

"I'm sorry." Trowa shook his head.

"Please leave." Heero whispered, hoarsely.

They went into the hall, knowing that Heero needed to be alone. They knew he wouldn't cry with them there, and they knew he needed to. They all knew how much Duo had meant to him.

Heero looked out the window and saw the burned out remains of the OZ building. 

"Duo, I loved you." he whispered.


[Death comes sweeping down the hallway
Like a lady's dress
Death comes driving down the highway
In its Sunday best.

A fire of unknown origin took my baby away.
A fire of unknown origin took my baby away.]

-----Owari-----

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1