Finding Love Where You Least Expect It

-----part 1-----

"Why do *I* have to be his date?" Heero grumbled as he glared at the flower Quatre was trying to stick into his lapel. "Do you *mind*. It's bad enough, I have to go out with that baka, but no flowers, thank you. I'm already having a really bad day."

//How can you say that, Heero?// Duo thought as Trowa helped him with his hair. He'd wanted the braid to be just right. It had to be perfect for his date with Heero. Even if this was just a mission, it might lead to something more. He wanted it to. He remembered how happy he'd been when he'd found his dress, a long black strapless gown with matching gloves that went all the way up his arms. But now...

//Do you really hate me that much?// He looked up at Heero, his eyes full of hurt and pain.

Heero felt Duo's gaze, but didn't look up. "Omae o korosu." he muttered.

Duo ran from the safe house, hair still unbraided. His tears so numerous they flew into the wind behind him as he ran on into the night. He didn't know or care where he was going. He just wanted to be any place where he didn't have to be near the boy he loved.... the boy who hated him.

"Why the tears, beautiful one?" a familiar voice asked.

Duo turned. He was stunned to see Zechs standing there. He looked around. Where was he? What was Zechs doing here?

"Come now, dry those tears." Zechs offered Duo a handkerchief.

Duo blinked at it, uncertainly. Then flinched a little as Zechs brought it up to his face.

"Don't be afraid," Zechs told him. "I just wish to dry your tears." he dabbed them away with the handkerchief, then returned it to his pocket. "Let us walk a bit. You look like you could use a bit of company."

//He doesn't know who I am.// Duo realized. //Perhaps I can use this. learn more about OZ.//

"Okay." Duo replied, disguising his voice as well as he could.

He accepted the arm Zechs offered and strolled off with him.

*****

"Heero," Quatre asked, "why did you have to hurt Duo like that?"

"He gets on my nerves." Heero snapped.

"You mean you can't stop thinking about him."

"I mean he's a loudmouthed, hyperactive, adorable, oversensitive, more than half insane baka!" Heero said, angrily.

"Adorable?" Quatre asked.

"I said 'abhorable'." Heero challenged.

Quatre turned and walked away. "No you didn't." he commented as he left the room.

"Poor Heero," Quatre thought as he leaned against the wall in the hallway. "You're in love and you can't even admit it."

*****

"I know it sounds crazy," Zechs told Duo, "I know this is our first date, but I also know I love you."

"No you don't." Duo shook his head. "Trust me on this one. If you knew..." he let the rest of sentence die in his throat.

"Know what?" Zechs asked. "That you're not really rich. That you're just a simple war orphan?" he lifted Duo's chin, bringing his face close to that of the young Gundam Pilot. "That you're Duo Maxwell?"

Duo's eyes widened. "When...."

"I knew before I approached you." Zechs smiled. "Duo, you don't have to love me back. I understand if you hate me. But I love you with all of my heart and I promise I'll never do anything to hurt you." he leaned forward and kissed Duo.

Duo cried out in pain as something hot pierced him just below the left shoulder blade. He felt consciousness slip away as he went limp in Zechs's arms.

"DUO!" Zechs cried out in alarm. He looked up and saw Treize standing there, holding a gun in his hand. Glaring at the man he now no longer considered a friend, he aimed his own gun, and fired.

-----part 2-----

Heero walked into the ballroom with Quatre on his arm. The Arabian boy was wearing a rather nice dress of Alice blue. It suited him almost too well, but he still wasn't happy. Duo was supposed to be on this mission, but he hadn't returned home.

Heero danced with Quatre, pretending not to look at the door. Quatre caught him doing this. In fact, he caught him doing it quite often.

//You miss him already.// the blond pilot thought. 

The doorman introduced Zechs's arrival, reading his name from the list of guests and amending that Zechs had brought a guest along.

Zechs's guest stood beside him, so radiantly beautiful everyone fell speechless. His hair was elegantly styled, with gems of rare beauty woven into the braid.

Some strange quirk of fate and time made Heero the first to speak.

"Omae o korosu." He whispered as Duo and Zechs passed him and Quatre.

-----part 3-----

"Now, now. Where are your manners?" Zechs asked.

Duo snickered.

"Duo, you little traitor." Heero complained.

"I'm not, actually." Duo replied. "Zechs offered me a shoulder to cry on. Which, I might add, I wouldn't have needed if you'd been a little nicer to me this morning."

"It's okay, Duo." Zechs said, kissing the braided boy, softly. "Now that we're on the same side, you'll always have me to love and protect you."

"Same side..." Heero glared. "So, you have turned your back on us."

"What makes you think *I'm* the one who switched sides?" Duo asked. "Do you really think so poorly of me. After all the times I helped you? Some friend you turned out to be." he walked off through the crowd.

Zechs started to follow, then Quatre stopped him. "Heero. You go."

"Why me?" Heero demanded.

"Because you owe him an apology." Zechs explained. "He didn't join OZ. I'm joining you."

"Like hell you are." Heero glared.

"Consider yourself a probationary member of the team." Quatre smiled.

"Are you mad?" Heero demanded.

"No." Quatre replied. "Now, go tell Duo you're sorry."


Heero just stood there.

Zechs watched as Duo moved, solemnly, through the crowd, making his way toward.... "Oh shit. Pardon my language." Zechs hurried through the crowd, pushing people aside and excusing himself as he went until he reached the balcony. Duo was starting to climb onto the railing when Zechs grabbed him and pulled him to safety.

"What in the name of all the gods would possess you to do such a thing?" Zechs demanded, angrily.

"Heero doesn't love me." Duo sobbed.

"But *I* do." Zechs reminded him. "Duo, I love you with all my heart. You're the reason I left OZ. I gave all that up because I want to be with you. I want to make you happy, Duo."

Zechs lifted Duo's chin and brought his lips down to Duo's, eager to kiss the young, braided pilot.

Duo closed his eyes, and waited for the kiss. He felt Zechs' lips touch his, tenderly, felt the former OZ leader draw him close, and noticed Zechs's erection pressed against his belly, even through the clothes they wore.

Duo blushed and Zechs kissed him again.

"Let's go back inside." Zechs suggested. "I'd like to dance with you some more."

Duo nodded. "I'd like that, too." he agreed. He followed Zechs back into the ballroom

"However, before we go back..." Zechs began, a warm, loving smile on his lips, and love in his eyes...



Quatre grabbed Heero by the ear and dragged him over to them.

"Heero..." he said, gently.

"Hn....." Heero glared at Duo. 

Quatre tapped his foot.

"Okay... " Heero grumbled. "Duo, I'm sorry."

"If you really mean it, I forgive you." Duo replied. "But if you're trying to get me back, you're too late." he showed Heero the ring on his finger. "Zechs just asked me to marry him. I said 'yes.'."

-----TBC-----

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1