Don't Fear The Reaper (a Blue Oyster Cult song-fic)

-------------------------------------------------------------
The song's about a girl, the fic's about a guy.
-------------------------------------------------------------

-----prologue-----

Their gundams had all been repaired and were in top shape for combat, now the five pilots were carefully cleaning their firearms.

Wufei finished first and put his away, carefully. "I'm going to meditate for a while." he told the others. "If you need me, you know where I'll be."

This last line was directed at Trowa and the others smiled knowingly.

Duo gave Heero a wink and smiled disarmingly.

"I love you, too." Heero replied, unexpectedly.

"Heero? Are you feverish? Did someone put something in your breakfast cereal?" Duo put a hand to Heero's forehead. "Gee... you don't feel feverish..."

Heero smiled as Duo returned to cleaning his weapon. He frowned at his own weapon. There was something wrong, but he coudn't figure out what it was. As he moved it, he heard something inside rattle a little. But what it was, he could not say. Duo stood up and started to walk over to the weapons closet. He had only made it a third of the way across the room when Heero's gun went off.

"DUO!" Trowa screamed.

Heero, too horrified for words, dropped the gun, which he now despised, and ran to where Duo lay.

Duo had ben shot in the throat, he lay there, his head half-severed from his neck, blood covering the floor beneath him.


-----part 1-----

It had been a year since he had killed Duo and in all that time, Heero Yuy had never again picked up a gun. He hated them now. They were ugly pieces of grey garbage that took your friends away from you. He'd even been lobbying for the destruction of all firearms. The Powers That Be had scoffed at him, but Wufei, Quatre and Trowa had not. 

But, Heero was still a soldier at heart and in the end, he'd asked Wufei to train him and the others in the Martial Arts and in sword fighting.

Wufei trained his fellow pilots hard, pushing them to their very limits. 

They found ways to fight the enemy without firing a shot, one these being the legendary Crossfire Gambit. Another method was to dive at the ground and pull up, hoping the enemy would follow and then not be able to pull up after them in time to avoid the ground.

Heero's lobbying never succeeded, but he never gave up trying. He did, however, successfully sue the company that made the gun that killed Duo. The judge had been very unsympathetic when he'd learned that the gun manufacturers had cut a number of corners in order to save a small amount of money. An examination of Heero's gun, which revealed that the safety-lock mechanism had failed won the case for Heero. 


Heero now stood at the edge of Duo's grave, having placed the traditional offering upon the kamidana(1). He had been surprised and touched when it had been revealed in the will, that Duo had wanted a Japanese grave, despite being of American descent. The will had gone on to say that it was because Heero was Japanese and he wanted Heero to be able to visit his grave with compromising whatever beliefs he might have.

"They declared peace last night, Shinigami-chan." he told Duo. "I'm sorry you didn't live to see it. You worked just as hard for this as the rest of us, you deserved this, too. I loved you, kicho na.(2)"

-----TBC-----

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1