Bad Cop, Good Cop

-----part 1-----

Heero frowned as he heard the siren behind him. "K'so." he swore as he pulled the team's car over to the curb. "Everyone just stay quiet. I'll handle this."

The policeman looked into the car. "Sir, may I see your license and registration, please?"

Heero made a show of searching for it, then acting angry at being unable to find it.

"No license?" The cop scowled. "Think you're someone special, don't you? That you don't need to follow the rules? Well, you know what? I think I don't need to follow the rules, either. You." he pointed to Duo. "Out of the car."

"Keep your fuckin' hands off him." Heero demanded.

"Out of the car, now." The cop repeated, this time pulling his gun and pointing it at Duo's head.

Duo got out of the car on the other side.

"Come over here." the cop ordered, his gun still trained on Duo.

Duo walked around the car and stopped beside the back tire. He and the cop were face to face now. 

"I said come here." the cop growled. 

Duo shook his head. "No."

The cop fired his gun. Duo felt a searing pain as the bullet hit his shoulder. 

"Next time, I aim for your heart." The cop warned. "Now, come here."

In pain and shock, Duo staggered over to the cop. As soon as he was in range, the cop punched him in the face, spinning around and knocking him over the hood of the car

The cop turned to the others. "Keep watching." he said. "If I see any closed eyes, I pull the trigger and your friend gets a one-way ticket to the nearest cemetery."

"Heero, do something!" Quatre yelped. 

"I can't." Heero watched in horror as the cop tore off Duo's clothes and began to violently rape the struggling Shinigami pilot. He clenched his fists and tensed his body in anger, lowering his head, glaring up at the cop.

The cop turned to check the four other passengers. They were watching. He kept thrusting, smirking hatefully at the four companions who were forced to watch as Duo was raped at gunpoint.

As the cop tore into him, Duo caught a glimpse of the man's reflection in the surface of the car's hood. He noticed the man wasn't looking at him. Undressed as he was, he had no conventional weapons. But he wasn't completely helpless. Moving carefully, making sure his movements would not be detected, he grasped his braid, looped it around the cop's neck, and pulled as hard as he could. 

The cop, caught by surprise, dropped the gun and began to scrabble at his throat, trying to loosen the makeshift noose. He felt himself come into Duo as consciousness left him for the last time.

Duo loosened his grip on his braid and the cop fell backward, slipping out of him. He was still trying to catch his breath as he pulled his pants back up and got back into the car.

Heero sped to the hospital, but Duo refused to go in.

"No way, I don't want anyone else to know." he told them. "Just take me home."

*****

Early the next morning, there was a knock on the safehouse door.

Duo answered and grabbed for his gun as he saw the policeman's uniform on the man standing there.

"It's okay," this officer's voice was kind. "I didn't come to hurt you. We found the officer you killed."

"And why do you assume I killed him?"

"The video camera in his car recorded everything that happened."

"Then you know...."

"That you acted in self-defense." the cop nodded. "I didn't come to arrest you either."

"Then why are you here?" Duo asked as Heero and the others joined him, gathering protectively around Duo.

"I wanted to see if you were okay." the cop reassured them. "I was sickened by what I saw on that tape. Not the killing, that was justified. But what that officer did to you. It made me ashamed to be a cop and ..." he blinked a moment, then seemed to recognize Duo. "You're from L2."

Duo frowned. 

"Don't worry, little thief." the cop's voice was affectionate, using the two words as a fond nickname rather than an accusation. "I won't hurt you. I'm glad you survived that plague. But how? I mean I only survived because I was attending a training class on L3 when it struck."

"Immune." Duo said, simply.

"Holy..." the cop's eyes went wide. "You for real?"

Duo nodded. "And don't say I'm lucky. I hardly think of it as lucky to survive while everyone you know and love is dying all around you."

The cop nodded in understanding. He wrote his name down and phone number down on a piece of paper and handed it to Duo. "If you ever need to talk, just call me."

The five pilots watched as the cop walked back to his car and drove off. As soon as he was out of sight, Duo fainted.

-----TBC-----

Hosted by www.Geocities.ws

1